Up the River Bork

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mirion147

Re: Up the River Bork

Post by Mirion147 »

Helmet wrote: November 7th, 2022, 2:01 pm You know the movie Starship Troopers? Remember the scene where the space marines first arrive on the bug planet and get swarmed? After playing scenario 4, I think I know what the space marines must've felt like. :)
XD if you need someone to talk to about the trauma let me know lol.

So you should be good to try S4 again, just make sure the enemies don't get crazy with the village taking! And i would probably stay on the western side of the river if you can :P .
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Mirion147 wrote: November 7th, 2022, 3:20 pm XD if you need someone to talk to about the trauma let me know lol.
LOL

I couldn't replay scenario 4 from the beginning, because I didn't have a saved game. But I did have a saved game for turn 1 of scenario 3, so I replayed it, then I tried scenario 4 again and won.

Both are well-crafted scenarios. Looking forward to the next one.

Attached is the scenario 3 and 4 replays.

Scenario 3:
At the end, the game provided the "Turns finished early" and "Bonus gold" information for the troll.
Attachments
UtRB-Battle in the Fog replay 20221111-181227.gz
s4 - easy mode
(58.32 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
UtRB-Into the Dark replay 20221111-104159.gz
s3 - easy mode
(55.6 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

I beat scenarios 5 and 6. Replays are attached.

Scenario 5 was a good challenge. I like what you did with the snow, how after it was trampled by units it disappeared. :)

I lost scenario 6 the first time, due to taking too long. So I started over and went faster. Combat-wise, this was the easiest scenario so far, but apparently there was one more hunt that I didn't do.
Attachments
UtRB-The Hunt replay 20221111-202751.gz
S6 - easy mode
(39.71 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
UtRB-Them Running Dead replay 20221111-200111.gz
S5 - easy mode
(50.76 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Campaign finished!

Scenario 7 was fairly easy. My side had minimal gold, but the allied trolls had over 700 gold, so I overwhelmed the enemy with trolls.

In the final scenario, I thought I had won, but then -- surprise! -- I was overwhelmed by a new enemy and lost. Tirzag picked a bad day to finally stop running away from battles. :D

Scenario 8 might benefit from a little adjustment, at least on the easy mode. When I saw the army I was facing, I thought, "Holy cow. No way I'm going to defeat that." And I was right.

Overall, an enjoyable campaign with plenty of clever features.

I actually don't mind that my orcs died in the end. In fact, I think it's appropriate. After all, Tirzag and his crew are hateful, vile orcs. They contributed nothing to the world but mayhem.

Replays of scenarios 7 and 8 attached.
Attachments
UtRB-Ready, Battle, Go replay 20221112-004205.gz
S8 - easy mode
(63.72 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
UtRB-Return of the Dead Duo replay 20221111-233503.gz
S7 - easy mode
(70.9 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Author of:
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Helmet wrote: November 12th, 2022, 7:10 am Overall, an enjoyable campaign with plenty of clever features.
Thank you so much for giving it a try! I'm glad you were able to enjoy it! I'm going to be looking into easy mode more and seeing where I need to adjust things! You've been very helpful with this!

Helmet wrote: November 12th, 2022, 7:10 am I actually don't mind that my orcs died in the end. In fact, I think it's appropriate. After all, Tirzag and his crew are hateful, vile orcs. They contributed nothing to the world but mayhem.
At least so far XD!
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Mirion147 wrote: November 14th, 2022, 3:25 am At least so far XD!
Are you suggesting that Tirzag, in the future, becomes a non-murderous leader of the orcs?

Kind sir, may I remind you...
Spoiler:
Author of:
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Helmet wrote: November 14th, 2022, 2:49 pm Are you suggesting that Tirzag, in the future, becomes a non-murderous leader of the orcs?
Lol, not in Tirzag's future, because
Spoiler:
Helmet wrote: November 14th, 2022, 2:49 pm
Spoiler:
As for this, killing orcs is the way to power within the orc society, it's unavoidable. If an orc came to power without killing any other orcs, his might would constantly be in question.

In regards to your last point, yes, that's likely true.
Spoiler:
At the end of the day it's a tragic tale of what happens even to the best leaders amongst the orcs and that's why they're forced to live out their lives in the northern wastelands and never able to overpower Wesnoth.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Mirion147 wrote: November 16th, 2022, 3:58 pm Lol, not in Tirzag's future, because
Spoiler:
What?! :shock:
Spoiler:
Mirion147 wrote: November 16th, 2022, 3:58 pm As for this, killing orcs is the way to power within the orc society, it's unavoidable. If an orc came to power without killing any other orcs, his might would constantly be in question.
I agree. Orcs are aggressive and the most aggressive gain power. I guess my point was, Tirzag is no better than the orc leader he replaced. In the end, what difference does it make that he's in charge? Not much. He's just another orc.

I agree. It's a tragic story.
Mirion147 wrote: November 16th, 2022, 3:58 pm In regards to your last point, yes, that's likely true.
Spoiler:
At the end of the day it's a tragic tale of what happens even to the best leaders amongst the orcs and that's why they're forced to live out their lives in the northern wastelands and never able to overpower Wesnoth.
Another thought about scenario 8...
Spoiler:
By the way, I liked the names you invented in your campaign. Not everybody invents good names. *thumbs-up emoticon*
Author of:
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Helmet wrote: November 16th, 2022, 5:06 pm I lost scenario 8 because Vitag died, by the way.
[/spoiler]

That's odd. You should be able to lose Vitag in S8. :hmm:
Helmet wrote: November 16th, 2022, 5:06 pm I agree. Orcs are aggressive and the most aggressive gain power. I guess my point was, Tirzag is no better than the orc leader he replaced. In the end, what difference does it make that he's in charge? Not much. He's just another orc.
You're correct, he falls prey to the trials of many orcs. But that's not to say that he had 0 impact at all, it just remains to be seen what ripples he made in Irdya
Mirion147 wrote: November 16th, 2022, 3:58 pm In regards to your last point, yes, that's likely true.
Spoiler:
Helmet wrote: November 16th, 2022, 5:06 pm Another thought about scenario 8...
Spoiler:
So, like I said, he is supposed to be able to die, and I do have different dialog for when he does, but it's not quite as intense as that lol.
Helmet wrote: November 16th, 2022, 5:06 pm By the way, I liked the names you invented in your campaign. Not everybody invents good names. *thumbs-up emoticon*
Thank you! lol I'm not gonna lie, I feel like I'm terrible at coming up with names! I appreciate that you like them though!
Skayland

Post by Skayland »

Hello! I just played your campaign and i liked it a lot :)

I seem to have skipped some dialogues by accident so I didn't get archers nor trolls because I didn't know how :lol: (I think my left click is double clicking) but i still managed to get to the end and enjoyed it.

I had trouble with the stealth mission, I thought i just had to get to the edge of the map so I only killed the blue human and escaped. Only to find out I couldn't because I was seen. Maybe make it so you can still flee? They seem to care more about fighting each other so I don't see why not. Or allow the player to leave but they will show up later on if you didn't kill them

The mission with the trolls and dwarves was quite nice. When i first saw the amount of dwarves I thought I was gonna get shredded but I managed to win using the chokepoints ;) One suggestion for this scenario would be to do something with the right side of the map to make it faster to travel. I sent a decent sized group thru that side but they barely got to fight because of how much walking they had to do. Maybe that's why it was harder to beat the dwarves for me :o . Also the dwarven castle has too many doors! maybe replace 2 or 3 of the doors with tunnel wall so it doesn't look weird.

Defence mission was nice too. I would prefer if the player's castle was a little closer to the river but other than that it was a nice one (I managed to kill both the lich and knight with naga on my third attempt to see what happened :lol: )

I played on Easy (mostly because i never trust addons' balance but also because im not that good :whistle: )
Overall very nice campaign, we need more cool orc campaigns!
Practice makes perfect, why don't we practice helping others?
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Skayland wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:56 pm Hello! I just played your campaign and i liked it a lot :)
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!
Skayland wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:56 pm I seem to have skipped some dialogues by accident so I didn't get archers nor trolls because I didn't know how :lol: (I think my left click is double clicking) but i still managed to get to the end and enjoyed it.
Ah yes, the dialog is important! I actually do plan on making this a bit easier to accomplish though so you don't just miss it by accident! But I'm not sure when it's going to be implemented.
Skayland wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:56 pm I had trouble with the stealth mission, I thought i just had to get to the edge of the map so I only killed the blue human and escaped. Only to find out I couldn't because I was seen. Maybe make it so you can still flee? They seem to care more about fighting each other so I don't see why not. Or allow the player to leave but they will show up later on if you didn't kill them
Ah, it's true, you do only need to get to the edge if you don't get spotted, but you need to kill the leader of all sides that spot you. (could be 0, 1, 2, or 3).
Skayland wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:56 pm The mission with the trolls and dwarves was quite nice. When i first saw the amount of dwarves I thought I was gonna get shredded but I managed to win using the chokepoints ;) One suggestion for this scenario would be to do something with the right side of the map to make it faster to travel. I sent a decent sized group thru that side but they barely got to fight because of how much walking they had to do. Maybe that's why it was harder to beat the dwarves for me :o . Also the dwarven castle has too many doors! maybe replace 2 or 3 of the doors with tunnel wall so it doesn't look weird.
There are some things that can be done, but some of it is based on prior scenario gameplay! If you want to send some of your replays over I can tell you if you missed anything which would open that side of the map up for more use!
Skayland wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:56 pm Defence mission was nice too. I would prefer if the player's castle was a little closer to the river but other than that it was a nice one (I managed to kill both the lich and knight with naga on my third attempt to see what happened :lol: )
Oh wow, actually impressed you managed to defeat them with only naga, might need to make easy mode a little harder! lol
Skayland wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:56 pm I played on Easy (mostly because i never trust addons' balance but also because im not that good :whistle: )
Overall very nice campaign, we need more cool orc campaigns!
Keep in mind that each mode (easy, normal, difficult) all have different things that happen, so if you want to try it again on normal (and even more so on hard), you will see some differences!

Thanks again for playing! And for leaving feedback! You're appreciated!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Battle in the Fog
mobalize -> mobilize