Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: [closed] Wesnoth Fauna

Post by doofus-01 »

vghetto wrote: September 30th, 2021, 1:22 pm It would be nice if the internal name of the fire ant's fire attack is more descriptive for coding purposes. Maybe something like name=fire breath like the drakes. Currently it's just name=fire.
I also noticed that the orcs fire crossbow or fire bow attack is simply called name=crossbow or name=bow
The orc issue does seem sub-optimal, but I'm not sure what will break if I touch it, so I won't.

I'm not sure what to call the fire ant's attack; "fire breath" isn't accurate and "fire abdominal squirt" doesn't have a nice ring. I'm not really seeing the problem, I guess it's for filtering? Do you have an example of where this is an issue?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

doofus-01 wrote: November 8th, 2021, 12:58 am I guess it's for filtering? Do you have an example of where this is an issue?
Yes, I was talking about filtering purposes. But it is not a very big deal. I'm saying it would be better if the name was changed to something else for that purpose specifically.

I have this use case where a unit with "Magical or Witchcrafty" abilities can cast runes on the ground which the enemy would step on and get hurt by.

I didn't want all units with ranged fire to have that capability. I see the ranged fire attacks possessed by drakes, dragons and the fire ant as being more of a "Biological" ability. So they should'nt be able to cast runes.

Now my UMC allows of integrating other umc add-ons and I wanted to have as broad an implementation as possible.
I didn't want to exclude name=fire because it might be used by a "Magical" umc era unit somewhere.

Code: Select all

#define HAVE_IDLE_CASTERS X Y
    [have_unit]
        x,y={X},{Y}
        side=1
        [has_attack]

# Allow those with "Magical, Witchcrafty" abilities
            # Allow Human Mages, Necromancers, Ghosty types, Troll Shamans, etc ...
            range=ranged
            type=fire,cold,arcane
            [not]

# Exclude those where it is more of a "Biological" ability
                # Exclude Drakes, Dragons.
		# The Fire Ant belongs in this category
                name=fire breath
                [or]
                    name=fire claws
                [/or]

# This is a historical bug that might be difficult to fix at this point.
                # Exclude Orcish Archer, Orcish Crossbowman, Orcish Slurbow.
                [or]
                    name=crossbow
                [/or]
                [or]
                    name=bow
                [/or]

# Exclude wesnoth Mainline items
                [or]
                    name=storm trident
                [/or]
                [or]
                    name=sceptre of fire
                [/or]

# Exclude WF items
                [or]
                    name=arcane bow
                [/or]
                [or]
                    name=cold bow
                [/or]
                [or]
                    name=fire bow
                [/or]
                [or]
                    name=arcane crossbow
                [/or]
                [or]
                    name=cold crossbow
                [/or]
                [or]
                    name=fire crossbow
                [/or]
                [or]
                    name=arcane arrow
                [/or]
                [or]
                    name=cold arrow
                [/or]
                [or]
                    name=fire arrow
                [/or]
                [or]
                    name=arcane_bow
                [/or]
                [or]
                    name=cold_bow
                [/or]
                [or]
                    name=fire_bow
                [/or]
                [or]
                    name=arcane_bow_cursed
                [/or]
                [or]
                    name=cold_bow_cursed
                [/or]
                [or]
                    name=fire_bow_cursed
                [/or]
            [/not]
        [/has_attack]
        [not]
            {FILTER_FOR_WORKER}
        [/not]
    [/have_unit]
#enddef
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

@doofus-01: I just looked at the list of animals in 1.16.0, and I'm impressed with how many you managed to include. This was obviously a lot of work, so... Great job!
doofus-01 wrote: November 8th, 2021, 12:58 am I guess it's for filtering?
Also, "fire" by itself already has a specific meaning in BfW, which could cause confusion for a new player. I would suggest "acid spray".
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

[/quote]
vghetto wrote: November 8th, 2021, 3:14 pm I have this use case where a unit with "Magical or Witchcrafty" abilities can cast runes on the ground which the enemy would step on and get hurt by.

I didn't want all units with ranged fire to have that capability. I see the ranged fire attacks possessed by drakes, dragons and the fire ant as being more of a "Biological" ability. So they should'nt be able to cast runes.
I see what you mean, it would be good if there was some way to distinguish such things. I wonder if additional status keys could solve this (distinguishing between magical versus biological). A status key "magical", for example. There must have been some similar thoughts at some point regarding "flying", which is a key in the "movetype" tag.
beetlenaut wrote: November 9th, 2021, 12:42 am @doofus-01: I just looked at the list of animals in 1.16.0, and I'm impressed with how many you managed to include. This was obviously a lot of work, so... Great job!
doofus-01 wrote: November 8th, 2021, 12:58 am I guess it's for filtering?
Also, "fire" by itself already has a specific meaning in BfW, which could cause confusion for a new player. I would suggest "acid spray".
Thanks! It is literal fire in this case; the ants have pilot lights on their butts, and they are essentially attacking with flamethrowers.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

doofus-01 wrote: November 15th, 2021, 4:46 am the ants have pilot lights on their butts
I laughed out loud at that! But in that case, I would suggest "fire spray." There is also already a poison spray, so it works with the group.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Is there a global "visual teaser" or something similar available? I know doofus-01 put this into separate spoiler
sections, so that is fine by me, but I wonder if there could be like a huge picture too that shows ALL the units/fauna.

Some of them are pretty nice. The crocodile I could put on a swamp tile in one scenario as special event
biting at the traveling hero party! The stoat is super-cute. I think it should become the mascot on the
homepage. Stoats and badgers are absolutely epic warriors - watch youtube videos!

The yeti looks a bit small compared to the others. Anyway, if anyone could have a "all fauna galore"
picture that would be nice, e. g. showcasing all of these together. It's possible to just click on all
spoiler links but a single image may be simpler.

For my campaign I may need some dogs by the way. Both regular ones as well as war-trained dogs
or "adapted" dogs. Would be nice if we could have an array of images to choose from in this
regard. (I know not all animals can be done, but e. g. dogs are quite important as companions to
heroes; and perhaps a few more animals, like a falcon and such which could be used in the campaign
as messenger.)

(Come to think of it, I should re-check the editor whether we can look at available animals. Could help
give people some ideas. I am totally addicted to put the stoat into one scenario now! Need to think where
it may fit, though ... probably as a stoat living in captivity on a castle ...)
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Wesnoth Fauna

Post by doofus-01 »

I've got a PR for water environments, #6695. There is a minor embellishment terrain, and a kelp terrain that is probably more significant. There are also a couple fish, that are supposed to be more dangerous than the seahorse, but still different from the sea-serpent. Low level is just a biting little fish, the other is a bit more complicated. I'm still working on the portraits, but this is the current state:
Nibbler
Caribe
name

Post by name »

They look excellent, as always. The Nibbler portrait could read as a barracuda or muskellunge with a bit pointier snout and underbite. The T-Rex arms on the Caribe struck me as odd though.

Did a bunch of fishing last year for the first time, and one thing you notice when you handle fish (larger than the home aquarium varieties) is how rigid and spiky their fins are. The "ray" bones add quite a lot of structure to fins and only bend under substantial load. So one issue with these portraits may be that the fins seem to flop or bend under their own weight, which makes them look like cloth.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

name wrote: June 10th, 2022, 3:19 pm So one issue with these portraits may be that the fins seem to flop or bend under their own weight, which makes them look like cloth.
Good point, the fins started turning into robes for arms, almost. :doh:

The arms are a little weird, but this is a fantasy game, and hopefully they make more sense when I get the next level finished.
Gothyoba

Post by Gothyoba »

Is this still relevant to 1.18? While I don’t know who made hese, the following units could be interesting additions (unit descriptions probably need changing and the calamity might need a new portrait):

https://units.wesnoth.org/1.16/A_Song_o ... 20Cat.html - Black Cat
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.16/A_Song_o ... Beast.html - Jinx Beast
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.16/A_Song_o ... amity.html - Calamity

The race should probably be changed to Monsters. I found these in the Dragon Trilogy, though many other add-ons include them. Does anybody know where these come from? (Do I need to show the images here or are the links fine?)
Whitefang Orc
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Gothyoba wrote: June 1st, 2023, 1:33 pm Is this still relevant to 1.18? While I don’t know who made hese, the following units could be interesting additions (unit descriptions probably need changing and the calamity might need a new portrait):

The race should probably be changed to Monsters. I found these in the Dragon Trilogy, though many other add-ons include them. Does anybody know where these come from? (Do I need to show the images here or are the links fine?)
If you have to add them, change the IDs. I have enough ID conflicts in my era to deal with. Also, these are originally from Nightmares of Meleon, which was a standalone faction upto 1.10 and then moved to Grafted Era, and then WoL and Legends Conquest.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Gothyoba

Post by Gothyoba »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 1st, 2023, 2:06 pm
Gothyoba wrote: June 1st, 2023, 1:33 pm Is this still relevant to 1.18? While I don’t know who made hese, the following units could be interesting additions (unit descriptions probably need changing and the calamity might need a new portrait):

If you have to add them, change the IDs. I have enough ID conflicts in my era to deal with. Also, these are originally from Nightmares of Meleon, which was a standalone faction upto 1.10 and then moved to Grafted Era, and then WoL and Legends Conquest.
Thank you for the info.
Whitefang Orc
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Gothyoba wrote: June 1st, 2023, 1:33 pm Is this still relevant to 1.18?
It would be really tight at this point, so probably not anymore. But those are certainly interesting, and the fact that they already have portraits helps. Are they a critical part of many mainline-adjacent (in the same world) UMC campaigns?
Gothyoba

Post by Gothyoba »

doofus-01 wrote: June 12th, 2023, 1:51 am
Gothyoba wrote: June 1st, 2023, 1:33 pm Is this still relevant to 1.18?
It would be really tight at this point, so probably not anymore. But those are certainly interesting, and the fact that they already have portraits helps. Are they a critical part of many mainline-adjacent (in the same world) UMC campaigns?
I don’t think they are a major part of many add-ons. However, they do appear in some eras, some of which are required for many campaigns. The Jinx Beast still needs a new portrait, though that isn’t urgent. They could be added in 1.20. Maybe they could be added to a forest scenario.
Whitefang Orc