A War of Life and Death

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Epyriel

A War of Life and Death

Post by Epyriel »

Welcome to A War of Life and Death, my first (and only) campaign. This tells the tale of the Elvish Lord Ardonath, as he defends the Great Northern Forest in a Grand Alliance as it stands against an invasion of the Dead.

This is a work in progress that I have released as a Pre-Alpha for testing. So far it is comprised of 17 scenarios (of which 4 are dialogue only). I have plans for around 25-30 scenarios total.

This campaign includes several hundred customs units most of which were taken from (or derived from) the Reign of the Lords Era add-on by The_Gnat and some of the mainline campaigns. A huge thanks goes to The_Gnat for letting me use his fantastic Era for this campaign. I highly recommend trying out the Reign of the Lords add-on for yourself.

This campaign shall see your fight with and against a wide variety of enemies with changing objectives and the use of custom items you can find in certain scenarios. With custom units providing a wide range of choices of advancements for your base units and unique AMLAs for certain heroes, you should not worry about running out of ways to strengthen your army.

If you plan on trying out this campaign, I would like to note that it includes repeated references to mainline campaign lore, so it is recommended (although not strictly necessary) to first play Northern Rebirth and Eastern Invasion. There are also some minor references to The Legend of Wesmere, The Hammer of Thursagan, Heir to the Throne, and eventually, Delfador's Memoirs.

This thread is for feedback from anybody willing to try it out. If you find any spelling errors, bugs in events or custom units, balance issues, continuity errors, coding inefficiencies, or other problems please let me know. This is my very first campaign, indeed my first creation of any kind in Wesnoth, and I am relatively new to coding so I would love to take feedback, suggestions, or comments on how to improve my work.

Changelog:
  • 0.0.0.0 - Initial Pre-Alpha Release with Chapters 1 and 2 Complete, and Chapter 3 Incomplete (14 Scenarios).
  • 0.0.1.0,1,2,3 - Initial Patch.
  • 0.0.2.0,1 - Secondary Patch.
  • 0.0.3.0 - Item bug fixes.
  • 0.0.3.1 - Gold carryover bug fix.
  • 0.0.3.2 - Spelling corrections.
  • 0.1.0.0 - Scenario 15 release!
  • 0.1.0.1 - Minor bug fixes.
  • 0.1.1.0 - Scenario 7 balancing changes.
  • 0.1.2.0 - Scenario 5 additions and balancing changes.
  • 0.1.3.0 - Extensive bug fixes and balancing changes for later scenarios.
  • 0.1.3.1 - Gold bonus implementation and player gold adjustment.
  • 0.1.3.2 - Scenario 15 adjustments.
  • 0.1.3.3 - Scenario 15 gold allocation bug fix.
  • 0.1.3.4 - Extensive spelling corrections and dialogue editing.
  • 0.1.4.0 - Extensive various bug fixes.
  • 0.1.4.1 - Minor alterations and additions.
  • 0.1.4.2 - Minor fixes + 2 new custom units from TSG.
  • 0.1.4.3 - AMLA bug fix and spelling corrections.
  • 0.1.5.0 - Scenario 15 modifications.
  • 0.1.5.1 - Minor spelling corrections and dialogue editing.
  • 0.1.5.2 - Extensive spelling corrections and dialogue editing.
  • 0.1.5.3 - Balancing changes.
  • 0.1.5.4 - Drake Talon disappearing act bug fix.
  • 0.1.5.5 - Journey tracker improvements, addition of 3 new custom units.
  • 0.1.5.6 - Minor spelling corrections and text editing.
  • 0.1.5.7 - Minor bug fixes.
  • 0.1.5.8 - Minor bug fixes.
  • 0.1.5.9 - Extensive bug fixes.
  • 0.1.5.10 - zh_CN Translation progress.
  • 0.1.5.11 - zh_CN Translation progress and minor bug fix.
  • 0.1.5.12 - zh_CN Translation progress and minor bug fixes.
  • 0.1.5.13 - zh_CN Translation progress and minor bug fix.
  • 0.1.5.14 - zh_CN Translation progress.
  • 0.1.5.15 - Balancing changes and minor map modifications.
  • 0.1.6.0 - Extensive balancing changes and minor bug fixes.
  • 0.1.6.1 - zh_CN Translation progress.
  • 0.1.6.2 - zh_CN Translation progress.
  • 0.1.7.0 - Update and upload to Wesnoth 1.16.
  • 0.2.0.0 - Scenario 16 release!
  • 0.2.0.1 - Spelling corrections and dialogue editing.
  • 0.2.0.2 - Improved campaign path mapping, spelling corrections, and dialogue editing.
  • 0.2.1.0 - zh_CN Translation progress, scenarios 1-9 balancing changes, improved campaign path mapping, unit editing, and dialogue editing.
  • 0.2.2.0 - Scenarios 10-13 balancing changes, spelling corrections, unit editing, and dialogue editing.
  • 0.2.3.0 - Scenarios 14 overhaul and balancing changes, bug fixes, spelling corrections, and unit editing.
  • 0.2.4.0 - Scenarios 15-16 balancing changes, bug fixes, improved campaign path mapping, and spelling corrections.
  • 0.2.4.1 - Scenarios 16 minor balancing changes, bug fixes, unit editing and dialogue editing.
  • 0.2.4.2 - Deprecated unit reference bug fix.
  • 0.2.4.3 - Deprecated unit bug fix.
  • 0.3.0.0 - Scenario 17 release!
  • 0.3.0.1 - Minor bug fix.
  • 0.3.0.2 - Minor bug fixes, unit replacements, file optimization, spelling corrections, and dialogue editing.
  • 0.3.0.3 - Minor bug fixes, unit replacements, and spelling corrections.
  • 0.3.1.0 - Scenario 10-17 balancing changes, extensive bug fixes, unit replacements, and spelling corrections.
  • 0.3.2.0 - Addition of new Elvish Noble melee attack animation.
  • 0.3.2.1 - Elvish Deadeye ranged attack sound addition, and unit editing.
  • 0.3.2.2 - Elvish Mystical Deadeye ranged attacks sound addition, and unit editing.
  • 0.3.2.3 - Minor bug fixes, and unit editing.
  • 0.3.3.0 - Extensive dialogue revision, extensive spelling corrections, and unit editing.
  • 0.3.3.1 - Minor bug fixes, and spelling corrections.
  • 0.3.4.0 - Update and upload to Wesnoth 1.18, and spelling corrections.
  • 0.3.4.1 - Time expiry bug fix, and spelling corrections.
  • 0.3.4.2 - Minor bug fixes, unit editing, and spelling corrections.
  • 0.4.0.0 - Scenario 18 release!
Another big thanks goes to ERROR1025 for their work in translating this campaign to Simplified Chinese. Current zn_CH progress: Scenarios 1-11 translations complete.

Campaign development is ongoing, but updates will be inconsistent.

Note: All updates will be continued only on the most recent stable version of Wesnoth.
Enjoy :D
Last edited by Epyriel on April 13th, 2024, 11:01 am, edited 80 times in total.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: A War of Life and Death

Post by Pentarctagon »

FYI, the topic_id in your _server.pbl should be just 52884, rather than the entire thread URL.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Epyriel

Post by Epyriel »

Pentarctagon wrote: August 14th, 2020, 7:33 pm FYI, the topic_id in your _server.pbl should be just 52884, rather than the entire thread URL.
Yup, I realized pretty much as soon as I uploaded it. It should be fixed now. :)
Thanks for letting me know.
Poison

Post by Poison »

I've reached at the Council, there instead of playing the cutscene it says defeat the enemy leaders instead and shows some lua errors.
Epyriel

Post by Epyriel »

Poison wrote: August 14th, 2020, 11:45 pm I've reached at the Council, there instead of playing the cutscene it says defeat the enemy leaders instead and shows some lua errors.
Thanks for letting me know. The error is now fixed. It was just a case of me modifying the standard Elvish Lord unit id and forgetting to switch the unit type of background units during the cutscene. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Unwelcome Encounter
yoou -> you
mentionned -> mentioned

Why does the Elvish Noble have an attack called 'magic missle' (which normally deals fire damage) which deals arcane damage? Why not call it 'faerie fire' and use the matching picture?
Epyriel

Post by Epyriel »

Konrad2 wrote: August 15th, 2020, 9:47 am Unwelcome Encounter
yoou -> you
mentionned -> mentioned
The typos should now be fixed. Thanks for pointing them out.
Konrad2 wrote: August 15th, 2020, 9:47 am Why does the Elvish Noble have an attack called 'magic missle' (which normally deals fire damage) which deals arcane damage? Why not call it 'faerie fire' and use the matching picture?
Hmm. Good point. I was just using the standard Elvish Prince unit from the Reign of the Lords Era apart from the added leadership ability and changed name and ID. I have now changed the attack to more properly reflect a faerie fire attack. :)
Poison

Post by Poison »

In Rebellion, you cannot indeed recall dwarves as mentioned but you can recruit them. Is this intended?
Epyriel

Post by Epyriel »

Poison wrote: August 16th, 2020, 7:25 pm In Rebellion, you cannot indeed recall dwarves as mentioned but you can recruit them. Is this intended?
No, definitely not intended. But the issue is now fixed. :)
Thanks again for your help in reporting theses errors.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

For the record, the server judges 0.0.13 as a greater number than 0.0.2.
Epyriel

Post by Epyriel »

Konrad2 wrote: August 17th, 2020, 7:06 am For the record, the server judges 0.0.13 as a greater number than 0.0.2.
Yeah, I realized after the fact I should have used another dot. Oh well.
Poison

Post by Poison »

Finished it, there are some typos and some problems with the items, other than that it was ok. I played at challenging and found it relatively easy (and I'm not that good) but well made. The end is somewhat abrupt. I guess the story continues?
Epyriel

Post by Epyriel »

Poison wrote: August 18th, 2020, 8:00 am Finished it, there are some typos and some problems with the items, other than that it was ok. I played at challenging and found it relatively easy (and I'm not that good) but well made. The end is somewhat abrupt. I guess the story continues?
Yup, the rest of it is still being made. I’ve got the next scenario in the works. The typos I will iron out over time as they come up, but could you describe any issues you had with the items? As for the difficulty, balancing changes shall be made over time.

While I won’t be able to work on it as often once schools starts again, I plan to continue working on this as a long term project. Thank you for your feedback and help with identifying issues. It is much appreciated. I’m glad you enjoyed it. :)
Poison

Post by Poison »

I went to pick up a ring that fell from the lich (don't remember the scenario now), then I left it but the notification stayed even if I was using a different party member no matter where he was! In the end I picked it but it didn't work, it didn't give me resistance so sth is wrong there for sure.
Epyriel

Post by Epyriel »

Poison wrote: August 18th, 2020, 9:17 pm I went to pick up a ring that fell from the lich (don't remember the scenario now), then I left it but the notification stayed even if I was using a different party member no matter where he was! In the end I picked it but it didn't work, it didn't give me resistance so sth is wrong there for sure.
Thanks again for highlighting the issue. It seems the macro I was using to spawn the ring was not compatible with the event I tied it to. The problem is now resolved. :)