A War of Life and Death

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Epyriel

Re: A War of Life and Death

Post by Epyriel »

Update: Scenario 16 finished and released!

If anyone finds any issues or has any suggestions please let me know! :)
Epyriel

Post by Epyriel »

Update: Scenario 17 finished and released!

Please let me know if you encounter any issues either with the new scenario or from the series of patches leading up to it.

Enjoy :D
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

A couple of things:
My logs say that [advancefrom] has been deceprated and removed, and that you should be using [modify_unit_type] instead. (Technically it should no longer work, but apparently it still works, just questionable for how much longer.) (To be fair I don't think that's important to you campaign because you use ROL units everywhere.)
Plus lots of outdated special notes.
You seem to have lots of images for attacks/projectiles, that are present in mainline or at least there is a file that has the same name in mainline.
When the Elvish Noble melee attacks, his sprite disappears, the images it's supposed to use are absent.
You Wesnoth map is just the map surrounded by black, which is a bit weird.

S1
Since the Undead have dared -> Since Undead have dared
(My reasoning is that 'the Undead' do not really exist as a concept. Undead are usually small independent groups, not part of a larger force. -> The Undead as a force do rarely exist, usually it's just some Undead.)

S3
Darcyn, like Dacyn from Eastern Invasion? (If so, you might have to rework that soon, as a revised version of EI might be included in 1.17 soonish, in which Dacyn dies.)

S4
Chantel -> Chantal
Yes my grandfather -> Yes, my grandfather

The leaders placed are 'mainline' units, instead of ROL units. So are the Chocobones.

S5
However soon upon -> However, soon upon
the scene of battle -> a scene of battle
Die midget -> Die, midget
audiance -> audience

The units in the scenario are 'mainline' units. Except for the orcish guards???
Anyway, you'll probably have to go over all the scenarios and recruit lists to weed those cases out.

Character deaths
grive -> grieve
Attachments
WLD-A Desperate Defense replay 20230707-190912.gz
(64.62 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
WLD-An Unwelcome Encounter replay 20230707-174217.gz
(16.9 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
WLD-An Unwelcome Encounter-Auto-Save12.gz
(23.62 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Epyriel

Post by Epyriel »

Konrad2 wrote: July 7th, 2023, 12:31 pm A couple of things:
My logs say that [advancefrom] has been deceprated and removed, and that you should be using [modify_unit_type] instead. (Technically it should no longer work, but apparently it still works, just questionable for how much longer.) (To be fair I don't think that's important to you campaign because you use ROL units everywhere.)
Plus lots of outdated special notes.
You seem to have lots of images for attacks/projectiles, that are present in mainline or at least there is a file that has the same name in mainline.
Yeah all that is from 1.14 ROL, I will have to go through and clean everything up at some point, but it works for now.
Konrad2 wrote: July 7th, 2023, 12:31 pm When the Elvish Noble melee attacks, his sprite disappears, the images it's supposed to use are absent.
That is now fixed! You can find my first ever attempt at pixel art and animation in a post below. :D
Konrad2 wrote: July 7th, 2023, 12:31 pm S1
Since the Undead have dared -> Since Undead have dared
(My reasoning is that 'the Undead' do not really exist as a concept. Undead are usually small independent groups, not part of a larger force. -> The Undead as a force do rarely exist, usually it's just some Undead.)

S3
Darcyn, like Dacyn from Eastern Invasion? (If so, you might have to rework that soon, as a revised version of EI might be included in 1.17 soonish, in which Dacyn dies.)

S4
Chantel -> Chantal
Yes my grandfather -> Yes, my grandfather

The leaders placed are 'mainline' units, instead of ROL units. So are the Chocobones.

S5
However soon upon -> However, soon upon
the scene of battle -> a scene of battle
Die midget -> Die, midget
audiance -> audience

The units in the scenario are 'mainline' units. Except for the orcish guards???
Anyway, you'll probably have to go over all the scenarios and recruit lists to weed those cases out.

Character deaths
grive -> grieve
This should all be fixed now (except for the Chocobones which have no ROL versions). Thanks for the heads up about Eastern Invasion, and for all the other pointers! :D
Last edited by Epyriel on July 11th, 2023, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Trial by Fire
Why is there daylight in the cave, instead of normal cave darkness?
(And ftr, I don't like the scenario, since I have to rush a bunch of Drakes during daytime...)
The scenario objectives claim 30% carry over, and an eary finish bonus. When you end the scenario, there is no early finish bonus, and no carry over. No reasons are given. ._.
(Btw, I went back to my 1.14 replay to figure out how to beat it. xD)

Council of Warders -> Council of Wardens
herelding -> heralding

The Foor of the Mountain
The recruits in this scenario (enemies and allies both) are mainline units.

Shadows of Betrayal
Orcish and Dwarvish ai recruits are mainline units.
Drake recruits too. Drake leader too, but not its guards.

Tursted -> Trusted
(Probably twice in every scenario.)

Den of Flames
Mystical_Warlord wrote: September 6th, 2020, 8:25 pm
Konrad2 wrote: September 5th, 2020, 5:50 pm One of the drakes standing guard has a silver crown. Why?
Minor bug, should now be fixed.
Not fixed in 1.16.
Attachments
WLD-Trial By Fire replay 20230708-172304.gz
(68.74 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Epyriel

Post by Epyriel »

Konrad2 wrote: July 8th, 2023, 1:02 pm Trial by Fire
Why is there daylight in the cave, instead of normal cave darkness?
(And ftr, I don't like the scenario, since I have to rush a bunch of Drakes during daytime...)
The scenario objectives claim 30% carry over, and an eary finish bonus. When you end the scenario, there is no early finish bonus, and no carry over. No reasons are given. ._.
(Btw, I went back to my 1.14 replay to figure out how to beat it. xD)
The Northern Fortress is supposed to not be completely enclosed overhead so there is regular daylight inside. As for the gold carryover, I removed it in a balance patch and forgot to update the objectives tab, should be fixed now sorry.
Konrad2 wrote: July 8th, 2023, 1:02 pm Council of Warders -> Council of Wardens
herelding -> heralding

The Foor of the Mountain
The recruits in this scenario (enemies and allies both) are mainline units.

Shadows of Betrayal
Orcish and Dwarvish ai recruits are mainline units.
Drake recruits too. Drake leader too, but not its guards.

Tursted -> Trusted
(Probably twice in every scenario.)

Den of Flames
Mystical_Warlord wrote: September 6th, 2020, 8:25 pm
Konrad2 wrote: September 5th, 2020, 5:50 pm One of the drakes standing guard has a silver crown. Why?
Minor bug, should now be fixed.
Not fixed in 1.16.
This should also all be fixed now, thanks for pointing it all out! ^_^
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Den of Flames
Scenario objectives say 10% carry over, but there is a 0% carry over.

Rebellion
ROLGoblin Spearman doesn't exist. (Seems to be listed on some recruit list).

poisonned -> poisoned

The Ka'lian
messanger -> messenger
moutain -> mountain
Warders -> Wardens

So. Wtf. There is no carry over in Ka'lian. Why? Where did my money go? Why can't I keep the money I fought for in Rebellion? <.<

Roads of Peril
use to live -> used to live
use to call -> used to call

So. What's the idea behind a scenario where you can plunder gold chests, but without any carry over gold?

There is no sound when the Elvish Deadeye uses its ranged attack. (and there is no projectile)

Court of Daggers
Elaine has no traits.

messanger -> messenger
sabateurs -> saboteurs

Something went wrong. Both when I defeated the Assassin leader, and when I defeated the Duke, the two Councillors defected to me, giving the whole speech.

Also, why do the scenario objectives say that I need to defeat all Assassins, if it's actually just their leader?

Rebel Rouser
herelding -> heralding
besiege you to -> beseech you to
foregin -> foreign
deal with crisis -> deal with the crisis

oppresive -> oppressive
Elaine demands upkeep. And she lost the xp she got in Court of Daggers.

to all Wesnoth -> to all of Wesnoth

Torben has no portrait in this 'council'

It is honestly a bit annoying to go through so many scenarios where you only have gold for 6 units at the beginning. I barely have time to train anyone.
(Btw, your campaign description mentions custom items and items in general as a selling point. So far there have been 3 holy water in once scenario and a holy amulett, 2 healing potions in other scenarios. And probably the powerful items in the next scenario.)

(I very much suggest providing an ingame reason when there is no carry over gold. Otherwise it looks like they just throw it down the next river whenever the fight is over.)

(Also, I'm done once more.)
Attachments
WLD-Rebel Rouser replay 20230709-142914.gz
(73.94 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
WLD-Rebellion replay 20230709-125257.gz
(111.31 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
WLD-Pursued replay 20230709-132113.gz
(59.33 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
WLD-Road of Peril replay 20230709-135028.gz
This was the last scenario when I last played this campaign. :)
(88.09 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
WLD-Trial By Fire replay 20230708-172304.gz
(68.74 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
WLD-The Foot Of The Mountain replay 20230708-213610.gz
(52.83 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
WLD-Shadows Of Betrayal replay 20230708-234028.gz
Barely ran out of turns on my first attempt
(96.49 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
WLD-Den Of Flames replay 20230709-114337.gz
Barely ran out of turns on my first attempt, and had no army to deal with the reinforcements
(87.39 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Epyriel

Post by Epyriel »

Konrad2 wrote: July 9th, 2023, 9:37 am Den of Flames
Scenario objectives say 10% carry over, but there is a 0% carry over.

Rebellion
ROLGoblin Spearman doesn't exist. (Seems to be listed on some recruit list).

poisonned -> poisoned

The Ka'lian
messanger -> messenger
moutain -> mountain

So. Wtf. There is no carry over in Ka'lian. Why? Where did my money go? Why can't I keep the money I fought for in Rebellion? <.<

Roads of Peril
use to live -> used to live
use to call -> used to call

So. What's the idea behind a scenario where you can plunder gold chests, but without any carry over gold?

There is no sound when the Elvish Deadeye uses its ranged attack. (and there is no projectile)

Court of Daggers
Elaine has no traits.

messanger -> messenger
sabateurs -> saboteurs

Something went wrong. Both when I defeated the Assassin leader, and when I defeated the Duke, the two Councillors defected to me, giving the whole speech.

Also, why do the scenario objectives say that I need to defeat all Assassins, if it's actually just their leader?

Rebel Rouser
herelding -> heralding
besiege you to -> beseech you to
foregin -> foreign
deal with crisis -> deal with the crisis

oppresive -> oppressive
Elaine demands upkeep.

to all Wesnoth -> to all of Wesnoth

Torben has no portrait in this 'council'

It is honestly a bit annoying to go through so many scenarios where you only have gold for 6 units at the beginning. I barely have time to train anyone.
This should all now be fixed. :D
Konrad2 wrote: July 9th, 2023, 9:37 am Warders -> Wardens
Actually not a spelling mistake! That is the official canon name and spelling given to the ruling council of the Northern Alliance in Northern Rebirth.
Konrad2 wrote: July 9th, 2023, 9:37 am And she lost the xp she got in Court of Daggers.
For the sake of coding simplicity, I am going to keep it that way for now.
Konrad2 wrote: July 9th, 2023, 9:37 am (Btw, your campaign description mentions custom items and items in general as a selling point. So far there have been 3 holy water in once scenario and a holy amulett, 2 healing potions in other scenarios. And probably the powerful items in the next scenario.)
It looks like you missed one, but I will take it under advisement to add more in the future.
Konrad2 wrote: July 9th, 2023, 9:37 am (I very much suggest providing an ingame reason when there is no carry over gold. Otherwise it looks like they just throw it down the next river whenever the fight is over.)
I have rebalanced several scenarios to reduce the number in which there is no carry over gold, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make if I did add something like that for the remaining ones. Starting gold varies wildly between scenarios regardless of carryover gold (I guess you can think of it as how much gold the war-party can afford to pull out of its reserves for each battle?), so you could just apply the same reasoning for both differing starting gold and lack of carryover gold (inputting such into the reserve).
Konrad2 wrote: July 9th, 2023, 9:37 am (Also, I'm done once more.)
Thanks once again for your extensive review and suggestions! I should have more content on the way soon! :lol:
Last edited by Epyriel on July 11th, 2023, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Mystical_Warlord wrote: July 9th, 2023, 8:40 pm It looks like you missed one, but I will take it under advisement to add more in the future.
(If you mean the ring, I forgot to mention it. ...I also forgot which unit is carrying it.)
Epyriel

Post by Epyriel »

New Elvish Noble melee attack animation!
noble-melee.gif
noble-melee.gif (6.1 KiB) Viewed 790 times
This is my first ever foray into pixel art and animation so I would welcome feedback! ^_^
Last edited by Epyriel on July 11th, 2023, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gothyoba

Post by Gothyoba »

Overall, it looks quite nice. The sword blur looks a little off for me in terms of a mainline animation, though I think it is still nice here. I like the quick motion seen here. Most mainline sprites I’ve seen have a lighter shadow. Your shadow here doesn’t look bad, but if your aiming to keep it consistent with mainline sprites this may be something to note.
Whitefang Orc
Epyriel

Post by Epyriel »

Gothyoba wrote: July 11th, 2023, 8:17 pm Overall, it looks quite nice. The sword blur looks a little off for me in terms of a mainline animation, though I think it is still nice here. I like the quick motion seen here. Most mainline sprites I’ve seen have a lighter shadow. Your shadow here doesn’t look bad, but if your aiming to keep it consistent with mainline sprites this may be something to note.
Thanks for the feedback! And yeah, I was struggling to get the shadow colour right in GIMP and GrafX2, but I will try to fix it in the future.
maxeyb

Re: A War of Life and Death WE NEED THE NEXT SCENARIO PLEASE :D

Post by maxeyb »

This campaign is beyond awesome, I’m having a blast, are you still releasing more scenarios like originally planned? The ending was so deflating as it seemed like it was just gearing up for the next phase of the story line! :((

Please tell me you’re going to complete this gem!? 🙌🏼🙏🏼
Epyriel

Re: A War of Life and Death WE NEED THE NEXT SCENARIO PLEASE :D

Post by Epyriel »

maxeyb wrote: March 12th, 2024, 2:16 pm This campaign is beyond awesome, I’m having a blast, are you still releasing more scenarios like originally planned? The ending was so deflating as it seemed like it was just gearing up for the next phase of the story line! :((

Please tell me you’re going to complete this gem!? 🙌🏼🙏🏼
Glad to hear you are enjoying it! Yes, I am planning on finishing the campaign but updates have been slow thanks to University putting me through the ringer. Should hopefully have the next scenario ready soon! :D
Epyriel

Post by Epyriel »

Update: A War of Life and Death has now been updated and uploaded to Wesnoth 1.18!

If anyone finds any issues with the transition, or has any suggestions please let me know! :)