Grand Portrait List - 2020 update

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
egallager

Re: Grand Portrait List - 2020 update

Post by egallager »

Kylix wrote: January 8th, 2021, 11:10 am Abhai should be an Aragwaith, according to Revansurik. Before that, I thought he was a drake or an orc.
I didn't think the Aragwaithi were mainline though?
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

concerning the Northern Rebirth portraits, from the list it is suggested that the story should be rewritten. Its kinda thrown in the air that the current NR will be changed and some characters might not be/or new characters will be in the rewritten portion.
Odium

Post by Odium »

As long as Talin and Zlex are still part of the ride, I'm hyped for the rewrite
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Kylix wrote: January 8th, 2021, 11:10 am
  • Abhai should be an Aragwaith, according to Revansurik. Before that, I thought he was a drake or an orc.
Of course, that's just who he is in the lore of my own campaigns :P I always imagined the Aragwaithi as an ancient people (maybe it was those long, flowing clothes of theirs give an 'ancient' feel), plus they were one faction I played with a lot back when I wrote A Song of Fire. The mentions to Hiera'Shirsha and Garet-Desh were a great inspiration in writing that campaign, but I guess in recent versions of Northern Rebirth those two mentions were erased? Shame, I really liked how ancient and mysterious Hiera'Shirsha and Garet-Desh sounded...
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

revansurik wrote: February 4th, 2021, 6:46 am
Kylix wrote: January 8th, 2021, 11:10 am
  • Abhai should be an Aragwaith, according to Revansurik. Before that, I thought he was a drake or an orc.
Of course, that's just who he is in the lore of my own campaigns :P I always imagined the Aragwaithi as an ancient people (maybe it was those long, flowing clothes of theirs give an 'ancient' feel), plus they were one faction I played with a lot back when I wrote A Song of Fire. The mentions to Hiera'Shirsha and Garet-Desh were a great inspiration in writing that campaign, but I guess in recent versions of Northern Rebirth those two mentions were erased? Shame, I really liked how ancient and mysterious Hiera'Shirsha and Garet-Desh sounded...
  • High Kalian of Hiera’Shirsha
  • 14,318 AD
  • Great kingdom of Garet-Desh.
I don't understand why these mentions have been erased, probably to keep eventual curious users to write a prequel to the main storyline, which starts with TRoW. At least the references to the Rod of Justice, at the words of both Camerin and Abhai, are still mainline.
Last edited by Kylix on February 24th, 2021, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Kylix wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 1:15 pm I don't understand why these mentions have been erased, probably to keep eventual curious users to write a prequel to the main storyline, which starts with TRoW. At least the references to the Rod of Justice, at the words of both Camerin and Abhai, are still mainline.
Yep :/ Now Abhai is a ghost from the Old Continent, and Malifor is a survivor of the Wesfolk; I guess it makes NR tied more cohesively with the rest of the canon, although it's weird that Abhai, being a human from the Old Continent, would be so acquainted with the Rod of Justice - which, according to Camerin, is mentioned by some of the "most ancient elvish legends". Unless by "elvish" he means elves from the Old Continent (and even then it'll be a bit of a stretch), it seems be strange that Abhai would know about an artefact so ancient and which was also known by elves of the Great Continent... But I guess that's a discussion for another thread :P
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Kylix wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 1:15 pm I don't understand why these mentions have been erased, probably to keep eventual curious users to write a prequel to the main storyline, which starts with TRoW. At least the references to the Rod of Justice, at the words of both Camerin and Abhai, are still mainline.
Like that's going to stop anyone.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

In regards to the first two notes in this thread: are there URLs to the image(s) available?

Just asking - not wanting to delegate extra work onto others. But I don't see images.
Should there have been images associated with the portraits or is the listing meant
for something else? Slight confusion here on my part....
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Not in the forum. The listing is meant to keep track of what's done and what's missing, eventhough it was kinda derailed by later discussion. I should update it now that 1.16 is released and some of these portraits have been completed.

If what you're looking for is a preview of these portraits, they can be found in the unit database by checking a unit's profile.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

As for now, we still need these:
  • Boat
  • Chocobone
  • Nearly all the Dunefolk
  • Galleon
  • Pirate Galleon
  • Roc
  • Skeletal Dragon
  • Transport Galleon
  • Wild Wyvern
  • Wose Shaman
  • Wyvern Rider
  • Armageddon Drake
  • Dwarvish Arcanister
  • Elder Mage
  • Orcish Nightblade
  • Dark Sorcerers
  • Drake Arbiter
  • Drake Flare
  • Drake Thrasher
  • Drake Warrior
  • Dune Alchemist
  • Dune Apothecary
  • Dune Luminary
  • Dwarvish Berserker
  • Dwarvish Pathfinder
  • Dwarvish Runesmith
  • Dwarvish Stalwart
  • Dwarvish Steelclad
  • Dwarvish Thunderguard
  • Elder Falcon
  • Elder Wose
  • Elvish Avengers
  • Elvish Champion
  • Elvish Enchantress
  • Elvish Marshal
  • Elvish Outrider
  • Elvish Rider
  • Elvish Sharpshooters
  • Fire Drake
  • Fugitives
  • Ghast
  • Goblin Knight
  • Great Horse
  • Great Mages
  • Great Troll (sprite too)
  • Gryphon Master
  • Mermaid Diviner
  • Mermaid Siren
  • Merman Entangler
  • Merman Javelineer
  • Merman Warrior
  • Naga Warrior
  • Necrophage
  • Poacher
  • Rogues
  • Saurian Ambusher
  • Saurian Flanker
  • Saurian Oracle
  • Saurian Soothsayer
  • Shock Trooper
  • All the Soulless, except the humanoid one
  • Sky Drake
  • Wose Sapling
  • Male Dark Horse (sprite too)
  • Female Lich (sprite too)
  • Nagini Dirkfang (sprite too)
  • Nagini Fighter (sprite too)
  • Nagini Myrmidon (sprite too)
  • Nagini Ophidian (sprite too)
  • Nagini Ringcaster (sprite too)
  • Nagini Sicarius (sprite too)
  • Nagini Warrior (sprite too)
  • Nagini Zephyr (sprite too)
Odium

Post by Odium »

Something that could be done more easily than making a new portrait would be taking the Elvish Marshall portrait from the Sceptre of Fire campaign and editing it.
Making his expression look lighter to match with the other elves, and changing some of the elements to red would make it look default.
Of course that would make the Sceptre of Fire character look less unique, but it's not like it's a very interesting character individually, and I'd rather have this great Marshall portrait be the designated one for this unit (once it looks less like a bad guy at least)
Spoiler:
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

Odium wrote: September 21st, 2022, 2:50 am Something that could be done more easily than making a new portrait would be taking the Elvish Marshall portrait from the Sceptre of Fire campaign and editing it.
Making his expression look lighter to match with the other elves, and changing some of the elements to red would make it look default.
Of course that would make the Sceptre of Fire character look less unique, but it's not like it's a very interesting character individually, and I'd rather have this great Marshall portrait be the designated one for this unit (once it looks less like a bad guy at least)
Spoiler:
The default sprite color in the game data is fuchsia. Red is for the protagonists' units (except in DiD and Liberty).
Kurumim

Post by Kurumim »

Kylix wrote: December 6th, 2021, 3:26 pm As for now, we still need these
hey, just wondering, does anyone know if this list is still updated ? :)
Bobbi86

Post by Bobbi86 »

По-моему нет. Список давно заглох, никаких новых портретов. Может, в базе данных подразделения что-нибудь есть.