Children of the Dust [SP campaign for BfW1.14]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

skeptical_troll

Re: Children of the Dust [SP campaign for BfW1.14]

Post by skeptical_troll »

Y_Plentyn wrote: May 4th, 2020, 7:17 pm It seems I found a bug: In "Witness of an End" I recruited a saurian and picked up a key with it. I can not open the lock (spoilersafeness...) with that key - it seems to check "race = dwarf".
You're right, I included saurians in the filter for picking keys up, but not for using them. Thanks for finding this!
Y_Plentyn

Post by Y_Plentyn »

So, I played it through, and the campaign rocked. What about making it Multiplayer? You have up to 4 leaders, it could be split up.
skeptical_troll

Y_Plentyn wrote: May 6th, 2020, 7:56 am So, I played it through, and the campaign rocked. What about making it Multiplayer? You have up to 4 leaders, it could be split up.
Sounds like an interesting idea, however I've zero experience with MP campaign (both playing/making them). I'm not sure how to adapt it, like what to do with scenarios with only 1 leader, or how to split the gold between players...
kantus

Post by kantus »

Aah, I was about to report the inability for non-Dwarves to unlock monoliths in S9, but it seems that Y_Plentin already found it before me. Good to see it's something you're aware of!
skeptical_troll

kantus wrote: June 9th, 2020, 1:19 pm Aah, I was about to report the inability for non-Dwarves to unlock monoliths in S9, but it seems that Y_Plentin already found it before me. Good to see it's something you're aware of!
I just uploaded a version with the fix, as well as fixes for a couple more of annoying bugs. Hope you managed to go on somehow without replaying the whole thing, probably changing race with the debug mode would be the easiest way.

Thanks for reporting the bug, even if it was a known problem!
AOW

Post by AOW »

The free play of this campaign is so high that I started to try to play it again for a second time. So far, I haven't encountered any major problems. Thanks the maker, it inspired me to create some portraits of Aragwaithi!
skeptical_troll

AOW wrote: August 20th, 2020, 10:54 am The free play of this campaign is so high that I started to try to play it again for a second time. So far, I haven't encountered any major problems. Thanks the maker, it inspired me to create some portraits of Aragwaithi!
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean with 'free play' here, but I'm glad you're enjoying. I've had a quick look of your aragwaithi sketches and they look very promising. If you get some of them done at some point it would be great to use them in the campaign! :)
AOW

Post by AOW »

skeptical_troll wrote: August 20th, 2020, 5:40 pm I'm not sure if I understand what you mean with 'free play' here.
I'm sorry for my omissionXD

With regard to "free", I would like to say that players can make decisions through quite different processes to achieve their goals.
Such a free design makes it worth playing repeatedly,It's cool.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

Hi! I just finished to play this campaign (even if I haven't finished it), BfW 1.16, normal difficulty.

The plot is good, the gameplay is various and generally (but not always) well balanced.

I encountered some little issue:

Scenario 07: The units of the Vigjal's side ported from the previous scenario aren't healed.

Scenario 10: At the beginning of the scenario this error message appears:
Screenshot (94).png

More: in my opinion the recall cost of Dwarvish Miner and Dwarvish Torchbearer it's too high, and discourages players from recall them.

Scenario 10:Taken 3 keys and founded the fourth, played for three hours more than 110 turn (in the counter, in the reality are many more), killed 99 enemies for a gold value of 2200 gold pieces, ... that's enough :annoyed: ! Too many centipedes for a normal (for who?) difficulty.

Sorry, it's a great campaign on many points of view, but I will not finish it.

Thank you for your work.
skeptical_troll

Hello Argesilao, thanks for playing the campaign till almost the end! :)
Argesilao2 wrote: November 17th, 2021, 11:54 am Scenario 07: The units of the Vigjal's side ported from the previous scenario aren't healed.
Scenario 10: At the beginning of the scenario this error message appears:
Fixed, thanks!The second didn't affect anything, but it was certainly annoying to see.
Argesilao2 wrote: November 17th, 2021, 11:54 am More: in my opinion the recall cost of Dwarvish Miner and Dwarvish Torchbearer it's too high, and discourages players from recall them.
Ah! I didn't even know you can set the recall unit by unit type, I'm late by 2 stable versions. It's a good idea to reduce it, not I set it equal to the units' cost so it should be a decent deal to recall them.
Argesilao2 wrote: November 17th, 2021, 11:54 am Scenario 10:Taken 3 keys and founded the fourth, played for three hours more than 110 turn (in the counter, in the reality are many more), killed 99 enemies for a gold value of 2200 gold pieces, ... that's enough ! Too many centipedes for a normal (for who?) difficulty.
I'm sorry you've found that scenario tedious to play, I've admittedly play tested it only a couple of times back in the days, and didn't receive much feedback on it except from konrad and now yourself. I see how it could become a blocker. I've decreased the difficulty overall, especially for normal and easy, in a few ways and I hope it will play smoother now. Perhaps I got carried away with the number of potion boosters but I guess it's better for it to be a bit over the top than dragging for 100+ turns.

Thanks again!
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

skeptical_troll wrote: November 17th, 2021, 11:22 pm I'm sorry you've found that scenario tedious to play, I've admittedly play tested it only a couple of times back in the days, and didn't receive much feedback on it except from konrad and now yourself. I see how it could become a blocker. I've decreased the difficulty overall, especially for normal and easy, in a few ways and I hope it will play smoother now. Perhaps I got carried away with the number of potion boosters but I guess it's better for it to be a bit over the top than dragging for 100+ turns.
I think I have to make a clarification; the scenario is not tedious!
It was the first time I played the scenario, and I had a lot of fun exploring the cave and finding out how the various things worked (I'm no longer precise so as not to spoilers).
The problems arise all in the eastern sector, that of the centipedes. Centipeds cause the player's units more damage than they can recover, so as the player's side gets weaker and weaker, the centipeds never weaken. This makes extremely difficult for the human player to complete his mission.
At this point the human player has only three possibilities: hope for luck, cheat in some way, retry the scenario at a lower difficulty level; I'm too nerdy to consider the first option :( , and I'm too cocky to consider the other two :annoyed: .
(perhaps there would also be a fourth possibility: to play better; but I'm too lofty to take it into consideration :whistle: )
skeptical_troll

Argesilao2 wrote: November 18th, 2021, 5:24 pm The problems arise all in the eastern sector, that of the centipedes.
Ohh ok, I misinterpreted what you wrote and thought it was a general problem of the whole scenario. Anyway, in the new versions there are less centipedes in easy/normal and for all levels it will be possible to get rid of them, under the right conditions.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

At the end I finished the campaign using the 1.0.4 version for the last three scenarios (epilogue included), always with BfW 1.16.1 and normal difficulty.

The story is well structured, the characters are well characterized, the gameplay is various and innovative.
Well, for sure it's in the top five of my favorites UMC campaigns (excluding mine, of course :mrgreen: ), but I don't know in which position. ;)

I have to report a malfunction, which is irrelevant to the game: in the credits, when the sponsor appears :lol: , the commands <ì> and <b> do not work.

Checking in the _main.cfg files, i noticed that the name of the textdomain files in row 2 isn't the same of the textdomain in row 6, as a matter of capital letters; there aren't translations, so it is irrilevant, but it may no longer be such if translations were added.

That's all. Bye!
skeptical_troll

Argesilao2 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 8:35 am Well, for sure it's in the top five of my favorites UMC campaigns (excluding mine, of course ), but I don't know in which position
Great! I'll certainly take pride in the 'in the top 5 non-Argesilao campaigns' award :eng: :mrgreen:
Argesilao2 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 8:35 am I have to report a malfunction, which is irrelevant to the game: in the credits, when the sponsor appears , the commands <ì> and <b> do not work.
Damit, I hope the sponsor won't sue me for that :oops: I didn't realize the endgame credits are now nicely formatted. Looks great, but I suppose markdown is no longer supported, so I'd better remove it.
Argesilao2 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 8:35 am Checking in the _main.cfg files, i noticed that the name of the textdomain files in row 2 isn't the same of the textdomain in row 6, as a matter of capital letters; there aren't translations, so it is irrilevant, but it may no longer be such if translations were added.
You're right! Fixed that. Not that I expect translations soon, but I might try to write the italian version at some point.

Thanks and mandi! :)
DrakeAdventurer

Post by DrakeAdventurer »

Hi skeptical_troll,
I am getting bizarre behavior from some scenarios in your otherwise awesome campaign. Finishing "The Enemies Meet" I was told that I would start the next scenario with +100 gold. But the next scenario, not counting a dialogue-only scenario, I started with 120 gold. It seems hard to believe that the minimum gold is 20.

At the end of The Gates of Aerthelka, if Formythlin tries to exit before Wahlort, he says "I can't leave! I must stay close to the gate until everyone has entered" or some such. If he waits until everyone alive (not counting rubble) has exited, same thing. If I play the whole scenario and exit Formythlin last, same thing. When I use Cheat Mode to advance to the next level, Formythlin is gone and a level 1 scout is there instead!
CotD-The Gates of Aerthelka Turn 24bizar.gz
rename file to ...Turn 24 before loading
(108.85 KiB) Downloaded 26 times