Changing User Data storage location

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Cen7

Changing User Data storage location

Post by Cen7 »

I’m running version 1.14.7 on a Windows 10 machine (a Lenovo Yoga 730-13, to be very, very specific). Back in the olden days, there was an option when installing BfW to have the user data stored in the same location as the game, itself, but that seems not to be available anymore. I’m wondering if there’s a way to do this manually?

More background, because context often matters:

To make my BfW available regardless of what machine I’m using, I’ve installed it in my DropBox. (And yes, Yay!, that works!) I really want to store my saved games and downloads there, as well. Windows 10, however (curse those Redmond Trolls!) insists on storing the information at c:\users\[username]\documents\mygames\wesnoth1.14.

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Changing User Data storage location

Post by Iris »

You can edit or create a new shortcut for wesnoth.exe with additional options like so:

Code: Select all

"C:\Users\YourUsername\Dropbox\Wesnoth 1.14\wesnoth.exe" --userdata-dir .\userdata --userconfig-dir .\userdata
The quotes surrounding the full path to wesnoth.exe are not optional if there are spaces in any folder names.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.

Cen7

Re: Changing User Data storage location

Post by Cen7 »

Thanks! I will try that.