Indicating hexes that heal / illuminate / etc?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mawmoocn
Posts: 111
Joined: March 16th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Re: Indicating hexes that heal / illuminate / etc?

Post by Mawmoocn » November 8th, 2019, 7:43 am

lhybrideur wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 3:21 pm
I like the Alternative to 1 tile only illuminate very much
I hope that works or some part of illumination aura, are part of the final design for illuminate (it looks cool, but I understand if it doesn't become part of the final design).
lhybrideur wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 3:21 pm
I don't think the first two examples you gave for three light sources in your last post is that crowded. Plus it should not happen that often I think.
I guess that should be rare, but it's still an issue :lol: :whistle:, so it would probably be excluded if it becomes an issue :hmm:.
Icons seems like the best solution for everything right now.

User avatar
lhybrideur
Posts: 70
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Re: Indicating hexes that heal / illuminate / etc?

Post by lhybrideur » November 8th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Mawmoocn wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 7:43 am
lhybrideur wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 3:21 pm
I don't think the first two examples you gave for three light sources in your last post is that crowded. Plus it should not happen that often I think.
I guess that should be rare, but it's still an issue :lol: :whistle:, so it would probably be excluded if it becomes an issue :hmm:.
Icons seems like the best solution for everything right now.
I disagree with that. As was said before, too many icon will not be easily readable, so if we can use something else than an icon for the illumination that would be better in my opinion.

Lucipurr
Posts: 4
Joined: August 10th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Re: Indicating hexes that heal / illuminate / etc?

Post by Lucipurr » November 8th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Hex under effect of Illumination is already indicated, by hex having light-rays graphic, or halo of neighboring unit with the Illuminates ability, even if halo fx is missing you can look at alignment bonus values displayed on the sidebar to determine which hexes have it, when hovering the mouse cursor over hexes adjacent to an unit with illuminates ability.

User avatar
doofus-01
Art Contributor
Posts: 3809
Joined: January 6th, 2008, 9:27 pm
Location: USA, the civilized part.

Re: Indicating hexes that heal / illuminate / etc?

Post by doofus-01 » November 10th, 2019, 11:12 pm

Mawmoocn wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 9:27 am
I'm sorry if I didn't made a quick response as I think recognition of the origin of illuminate would fail, if illuminate doesn't depend on the center or is affected solely by time of day and if they can procure their own illuminates (like lava terrains for example).

I'm not certain if it'll be essential so I decided to skip (for now).
Similarly, I am now wondering if this shouldn't just be left to the Time-of-Day image on the sidebar. Whatever is causing the illuminates should already have some visible cue (like the aura) on the map. If there is a case where it doesn't, that should be fixed.
Mawmoocn wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 9:27 am
doofus-01 wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 10:24 pm
1. It's good for it to be noticeable, but not if it gets too loud and busy. I think most of those go a bit too far.
I've made some alternatives to help solve it. (though it may face that problem if the icons use are large)
smalllindicators for illuminate.png

Well those are placeholders for potential icons that can be used but most icons placed there, are only to be used if it determines the origin of illuminate.
The little aura ring makes the most sense to me. The others look a bit like snowflakes, meaning is not so clear.
Mawmoocn wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 9:27 am
doofus-01 wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 10:24 pm
2. The value of the illumination can be different (maybe even negative?). If there will be some big image like the aura, it would be nice to have it modifiable, maybe tying the alpha or lightness to the illuminate number.
Is that changing colors? (I'm not familiar with changing values and assumed that it changes colors)
I think changing colors would be useful if they serve different functions. I'm hoping to make it a bit easier comprehend that it's illuminate on one glance.
By "values", I just meant the game data. Though tying the game data to image HSV value might be a way to depict it. However, if this is for a small icon, it may not be noticeable enough.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects

Mawmoocn
Posts: 111
Joined: March 16th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Re: Indicating hexes that heal / illuminate / etc?

Post by Mawmoocn » November 14th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Lucipurr wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 6:05 pm
Hex under effect of Illumination is already indicated, by hex having light-rays graphic, or halo of neighboring unit with the Illuminates ability, even if halo fx is missing you can look at alignment bonus values displayed on the sidebar to determine which hexes have it, when hovering the mouse cursor over hexes adjacent to an unit with illuminates ability.
Well I like to have more detailed information so I can use it without hovering/finding for the wrong tiles ... :lol:
Preferably I like how ZoC can be detected.


doofus-01 wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 11:12 pm
Mawmoocn wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 9:27 am
I'm sorry if I didn't made a quick response as I think recognition of the origin of illuminate would fail, if illuminate doesn't depend on the center or is affected solely by time of day and if they can procure their own illuminates (like lava terrains for example).

I'm not certain if it'll be essential so I decided to skip (for now).
Similarly, I am now wondering if this shouldn't just be left to the Time-of-Day image on the sidebar. Whatever is causing the illuminates should already have some visible cue (like the aura) on the map. If there is a case where it doesn't, that should be fixed.
Illumination effect depends on terrain and (unit) ability, terrain illuminate relies on different effects and sometimes camouflaged.
The left sidebar does indicate if there's illumination on time of day image.
doofus-01 wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 11:12 pm
The little aura ring makes the most sense to me. The others look a bit like snowflakes, meaning is not so clear.
The snowflakes was a placeholder for a star icon (or something else).
doofus-01 wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 11:12 pm
By "values", I just meant the game data. Though tying the game data to image HSV value might be a way to depict it. However, if this is for a small icon, it may not be noticeable enough.
It seems reasonable though I don't fully understand what it does. :hmm:

User avatar
doofus-01
Art Contributor
Posts: 3809
Joined: January 6th, 2008, 9:27 pm
Location: USA, the civilized part.

Re: Indicating hexes that heal / illuminate / etc?

Post by doofus-01 » November 16th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Mawmoocn wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 6:10 pm
It seems reasonable though I don't fully understand what it does. :hmm:
I mean altering the image automatically (make it lighter/darker or something) according to the effective illumination level:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects

Post Reply