The Dark Master

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Major_Swampy

Re: the dark master

Post by Major_Swampy »

Hey, just played this campaign. But I've found some typos between first scenario until the scenario 'Deep Path' (I think) :hmm:
Issue: Okay, I don't think Quer'Krath is not problem about his AMLAs.
Edit: Modified Elvish Archer is supposed to be name unit "Demonic Elvish Archer" and its line advancements. (I guess it was female gender)
Edit2 : Rodd's name unit (not from the main name) is supposed to be "Dark Legionnaire"

Lua Error: When Anlinde dies, it pops up:

Code: Select all

<Lua> Repeated [endlevel] execution, ignoring
Lua Error 2: When starting scenario Apocalypse, it appears on the top-left:

Code: Select all

<invalid WML found> [event] is missing name or id field
Last edited by Major_Swampy on June 15th, 2020, 5:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
StellarStar

Post by StellarStar »

In the scenario struggle, I managed to escape by going to 84,16 and 88,16. I doubt that is the correct way to escape.Its cause if you go onto y16 you win. Also in the scenario First Confrontation I do not have Rott. Is he supposed to be missing even though his death is listed as a lost condition? Is he supposed to come later?
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

StellarStar wrote: June 10th, 2020, 9:21 am In the scenario struggle, I managed to escape by going to 84,16 and 88,16. I doubt that is the correct way to escape.Its cause if you go onto y16 you win.
Indeed, I have feeling too...
StellarStar wrote: June 10th, 2020, 9:21 amAlso in the scenario First Confrontation I do not have Rott. Is he supposed to be missing even though his death is listed as a lost condition? Is he supposed to come later?
Yes, actually he'll come later...

Scenario:
Ruins of Orcish City:
The issue is same as what white_haired_uncle said. So I suggest increase the allies' starting gold (including Green's and Blue's side. Not problem about my starting gold because previous scenario gold carryover is very important (Needs too much).

Revolution:
When Elynia takes the staff item beneath the Skeletal dragon, can't be equipped.

Tunnels:
The eruptions are very annoying to me because it has been buffed too much. Reduce the eruption amount hexes.

Donjon of Evil (Second Part):
Several Demon leaders doesn't have their army recruits, it was easier for me to defeat them. Better to buff them anyway.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
dimosok1

Post by dimosok1 »

The paladin that you free in the third scenario has a problem with light magic spell advancement and is making it infinite. The advancement is called caster of magic and it is bugged.
Ascrix

Post by Ascrix »

I'm currently playing the Dark Master and enjoying it but the translation is often jarring.

Would you be interested in a different, slightly 'smoother' wording of the dialog??

I would be happy to provide several scenarios and, if you like them, I can provide more.

Keep up the good work...
Eric143

Post by Eric143 »

@hermestrismi:
First of all, thank you for this campaign! I wanted to help you in some way, so I wrote a sort of review/analysis. I will sometimes refer to Invasion from the Unknown (ItfU), After the Storm (AtS), and Under the Burning Suns (UtBS). The Dark Master will be shortened in TDM (captain obvious is here, is he not?).

My comments may sound harsh, but I really wanted to give the more complete feedback I could to you. So, I will say what I liked and what I disliked without hiding anything.

My review will be in four parts : Overall (where you can read a short version of my comments), Story (where I commented the story of TDM), Scenarios (where I tried to focus on each scenario to analyze them a little), and How to improve your campaign (where I shortened my comments/ideas to help you improve TDM). As my comments contain massive spoilers for TDM - and some for IftU, AtS and UtBS - I placed them all in Spoilers.

Overall:
Spoiler:
Story:
Spoiler:
Scenarios:
Spoiler:
So, how to improve this campaign?
Spoiler:
Once again, thank you for your work in TDM! I hope my comments will help you.
If you don't hear anything behind you, then a child - or a cat - is doing some foolish thing. Either that, or a Ninja is sneaking behind you. I wonder which one is worse.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Finally I've completed this campaign! I began a year ago, when it had been just released, but then I lost it from my radar. Then recently looking for a campaign to play I remembered and finished it. Well, I like the idea! It has a tremendous potential, especially I like that the author tries to combine with LotI to create a cohesive lore. Though the campaign definitely needs some polishing, my main grievance is too tedious maps. They are too big imo, so you need to move units for a long time, and slow units like dwarves are useless as they never actually manage to get in the fight in time. So, definitely it's a good start, but there's vast space for improvements.

P.S. It's a pity that the author seems to abandon such a cool project. Hope he'll return one day and make this campaign shine :)
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Bfw 1.16*
The Dark Master
version 0.3.6:
- modifying _main..cfg (description, rank, year...)
- some bug fixing
- modifying turn limits for some scenarios
- some typos fixing
work to be done: more story checking, animation and images (like attack anime and story), changing some maps, ...
== I may thank Eric 143 for his notes but I only managed to follow some of them, they will be my next job
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

dwarftough wrote: February 28th, 2021, 7:58 pm Finally I've completed this campaign! I began a year ago, when it had been just released, but then I lost it from my radar. Then recently looking for a campaign to play I remembered and finished it. Well, I like the idea! It has a tremendous potential, especially I like that the author tries to combine with LotI to create a cohesive lore. Though the campaign definitely needs some polishing, my main grievance is too tedious maps. They are too big imo, so you need to move units for a long time, and slow units like dwarves are useless as they never actually manage to get in the fight in time. So, definitely it's a good start, but there's vast space for improvements.

P.S. It's a pity that the author seems to abandon such a cool project. Hope he'll return one day and make this campaign shine :)
Thank you very very much
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Bfw 1.16*
The Dark Master

Version 0.3.6:
- Modifying _main..cfg (description, rank, year...)
- Some bug fixing
- Modifying turn limits for some scenarios
- Some typos fixing
Work to be done: more story checking, animation and images (like attack anime and story), changing some maps, ...
== I may thank Eric 143 for his notes, but I only managed to follow some of them, they will be my next job

Version 0.3.6a :
- Scenarios 1,2,3: fixing some bugs, carryover fixing, turn limit balancing, typos checked out, images improved (except for the story), scenario 3 map completely changed
- The Death Knight is restoring health when leveling up with 'faster at melee' optionc(reported by white_haired_uncle)
- Donjon of evil: carryover turned zero with no_carryover note (reported by white_haired_uncle)
- Two Lua bugs fixed (reported by Major-Swampy)
- AMLA bug with the Paladin (reported by dimosok1) is fixed
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Version 0.3.6b :
no changes, just testing the upload on my computer

Version 0.3.6c :
- Scenarios 1,2,3: minor improvement, images improving (except for the story)
- Scenario 4: map changed, bugs fixing
- Scenario 5 and 6: map slightly changed, removing the potion of health until fixing a bug
- adding a menu text for eastereggs and walkthroughs but only for scenarios 1 to 6
- language checking, history checking ...
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Konrad2 wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 7:40 pm I'd like to point out that 1.14 has been around for over a year now, so there won't be that many people playing your campaign on 1.12.

And for some reason your campaign is called 'The_Dark_Master'.
dimosok1 wrote: July 8th, 2020, 8:33 am The paladin that you free in the third scenario has a problem with light magic spell advancement and is making it infinite. The advancement is called caster of magic and it is bugged.
dwarftough wrote: February 28th, 2021, 7:58 pm Finally I've completed this campaign! I began a year ago, when it had been just released, but then I lost it from my radar. Then recently looking for a campaign to play I remembered and finished it. Well, I like the idea! It has a tremendous potential, especially I like that the author tries to combine with LotI to create a cohesive lore. Though the campaign definitely needs some polishing, my main grievance is too tedious maps. They are too big imo, so you need to move units for a long time, and slow units like dwarves are useless as they never actually manage to get in the fight in time. So, definitely it's a good start, but there's vast space for improvements.

Eric143 wrote: July 15th, 2020, 8:16 pm @hermestrismi:
First of all, thank you for this campaign! I wanted to help you in some way, so I wrote a sort of review/analysis. I will sometimes refer to Invasion from the Unknown (ItfU), After the Storm (AtS), and Under the Burning Suns (UtBS). The Dark Master will be shortened in TDM (captain obvious is here, is he not?).

My comments may sound harsh, but I really wanted to give the more complete feedback I could to you. So, I will say what I liked and what I disliked without hiding anything.

My review will be in four parts : Overall (where you can read a short version of my comments), Story (where I commented the story of TDM), Scenarios (where I tried to focus on each scenario to analyze them a little), and How to improve your campaign (where I shortened my comments/ideas to help you improve TDM). As my comments contain massive spoilers for TDM - and some for IftU, AtS and UtBS - I placed them all in Spoilers.

Overall:
Spoiler:
Story:
Spoiler:
Scenarios:
Spoiler:
So, how to improve this campaign?
Spoiler:
Once again, thank you for your work in TDM! I hope my comments will help you.

Version 0.3.6:
- Modifying _main..cfg (description, rank, year...)
- Some bug fixing
- Modifying turn limits for some scenarios
- Some typos fixing
Work to be done: more story checking, animation and images (like attack anime and story), changing some maps, ...
== I may thank Eric 143 for his notes, but I only managed to follow some of them, they will be my next job

Version 0.3.6a :
- Scenarios 1,2,3: fixing some bugs, carryover fixing, turn limit balancing, typos checked out, images improved (except for the story), scenario 3 map completely changed
- The Death Knight is restoring health when leveling up with 'faster at melee' option
- Donjon of evil: carryover turned zero with no_carryover note
- Two Lua bugs fixed (reported by Major-Swampy
- AMLA bug with the Paladin reported by dimosok1 is fixed

Version 0.3.6b :
no changes, just testing the upload on my computer

Version 0.3.6c :
- Scenarios 1,2,3: minor improvement, images improving (except for the story)
- Scenario 4: map changed, bugs fixing
- Scenario 5 and 6: map slightly changed, removing the potion of health until fixing a bug
- adding a menu text for eastereggs and walkthroughs but only for scenarios 1 to 6
- language checking, history checking ...
Last edited by Konrad2 on April 27th, 2022, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged 4 posts with the same content, just quoting different people
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Version 0.3.6e :
- Updating the menu text for easter eggs and walkthroughs for scenarios 7 to 9
- Language checking, history checking, minor bug checking...
- Minor changes of maps for scenarios 7 to 9 to make them easier
- No dwarfs for sc: 08, and more gold for elves, but contomporain recruit limits for high levels
- Minor changes overall
- Rodd is now a new unit type called "dark legionnaire"' and his ranged attack animation is better
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Version 0.3.6f :
- Updating the menu text for easter eggs and walkthroughs for sc. 9 to 11
- Language checking, history checking, minor bugs checking...
- The Ruby of Fire here is a duplication and not the original one
- Big changes for sc. 10 to make it challenger including map, gold, ...
- Minor changes of maps for sc. 11 to make it easier
- improve the story and the animation for sc. 10
- Minor changes overall
- ''More undead legacy" (AMLA for Argan) is explained (unfortunately will not work with old saves)
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Version 0.3.6g:
- Fixing a weired bug
- ''More Faerielegacy" (AMLA for Elynia) is explained (unfortunately will not work with old saves)
- Random effects and animation for sc. 14
- Updating the menu text for easter eggs and walkthroughs for sc. 12 to 14
- Minor changes for maps and stats to make the game more balanced and the saves more light
- Languge, typos and history check