The Dark Master

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hermestrismi

The Dark Master

Post by hermestrismi »

After decades of seeking, finally a huge part of Argan's Journey has been found in parts of Elynia Diaries. Although many historians have suspected about the liability of the Journal, others insisted to publish it
Announce
The Dark Master campaign is included in the "The Dark Master Project beta" (version 1.0.1) and since that it will not be maintained as a dependent campaign and will be soon removed from the server
previous text
A huge re-work have been made in just one month (between April and May 2022).
For now, almost all scenarios not only playable (they were playable already since v 0.0.1) but also quasi balanced and roughly tested (on BfW 1.16.2 precisely) and only the three last sc. needs to be re-done for now.
I liked my own work really and I really hope to be accepted as part of the unofficial future-timeline to fill the gape of almost a millennia and to be a string attaching many legendary campaigns (if their creators accept that, including (but not only) Genesis, LotI, AtS, UtbS, IftU, Shadows of Deception and the two versions of The Dark Horde (the original uncompleted one and the completed one which I published on BfW 1.12).
If you liked this campaign with its Easter Eggs, surprises, random events and challenges, you can help improving it by:
- Bug and balance reports,
- Advises and suggestions,
- Images and animations and especially the story (like the new journey coordinator) and attack-animations (graphic artwork isn't my strength point),
- Ideas like traps and puzzles will be welcomed,
- Story liability checking and matching with previous mentioned campaigns (I did that many time but still ...).
Also, some other ideas might be added like a menu-items for music playlist or a pickup items after-death of some units (some existing items already needs to be re-worked)
- Revising the AMLA's sytem of heroes and special units, ...
and I m open to other idea"+ "
" +_"Version 0.3.6"+ "
" +_"36 scenarios- playable. But many work to be done"
[commit]i published a new compaign 'the dark master' about the story of Argan and Elynia (wesnoth v. 1.12 )
I need your help to improve it (bugs, ...) if u like it 8) 8) 8) [/commit]
versions 0.3.5 are made for BfW 1.12 and 1.14
no changes since Version 0.3.5
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Verion 0.4.0:
BEGENNING OF THE NEXT STEP OF THE IMPROVEMENT
- adding a credit file .txt
- adding 6 demons units
- adding a campaign linked story (Eternal Kingdom) with extra hero if finished
Note: Unfortunately, some changes will not work with old versions (units changes, menu_items...)
TODO: animation and images revision and improving generally , items related issues, items picking system, adding more choices to the music playlist menu, trying to lightened the saves (I found many unclear variables), adding some units to the demon faction or more traits

Verion 0.4.1:
- adding a campaign linked story (An Elvish Scout) with extra hero if finished
TODO: animation and images revision and improving generally , items related issues, items picking system, adding more choices to the music playlist menu, trying to lightened the saves (I found many unclear variables), adding some units to the demon faction or more traits
Last edited by hermestrismi on November 24th, 2023, 12:19 am, edited 21 times in total.
Major_Swampy

Re: the dark master

Post by Major_Swampy »

Certain, it'll turned into prequel to Iftu campaign. :|
If so, you can try to PM shadowm.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I'd like to point out that 1.14 has been around for over a year now, so there won't be that many people playing your campaign on 1.12.

And for some reason your campaign is called 'The_Dark_Master'.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

The first scenario loads alright, but the background picture in the pre-game cutscene is a bad close-up of the main Wesnoth map. Perhaps you could use a cutting without zooming in.

Let's play… I'll submit a typos-and-bugs-report later, BUT the link in the description is broken: it leads to a nonexistent topic.
Konrad2 wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 7:40 pmI'd like to point out that 1.14 has been around for over a year now, so there won't be that many people playing your campaign on 1.12.
Yes, I would like to join in this recommendation that if you want testing you use the latest stable version (1.14), especially since the 1.15's are out.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

In the attached, level up the death knight. Note that the 'faster at melee' option does not restore HP.
Attachments
TDM-Ruby_of_Fire-Auto-Save12.gz
(131.34 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
white_haired_uncle

If you kill the leader in the attached, it will say you will start the next scenario with 1775 gold. You don't.
Attachments
TDM-Donjon_of_Evil_b-Auto-Save10.gz
(373.52 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
white_haired_uncle

Okay, pretty cool campaign, just needs a little tuning IMO.

One thing to note on the big maps is that BFW 1.14 is incredibly slow saving the game (and therefore changing turns) vs 1.12. Like 20-30 seconds vs 1 second. So if you have a large map where you do a lot of moving and nothing else, or fighting your way through a narrow cave tunnel, or anything where you only spend a couple seconds on a turn and then have to wait 30-40 seconds it gets pretty tedious.

Other thing on the big maps, remember your player (usually) hasn't seen them, so they may not play them the "right" way. Like when you get the union attack near the end of the scenario, but your heroes took completely different paths and are 25 turns away from each other with 5 turns remaining.

potion of speed: says +3, is +2

Generally, I had tons of gold, until Ruins, where I started with 120. It seemed to get a LOT harder at that point.

The scenarios with 20-25 and like 85 turn limits felt like there weren't enough. The ones with 50 I usually finished in about 25.

I levelled the troll and dark knight way up at first, because I didn't have much confidence in keeping some of the others (such as elves) alive. For the troll in particular, it seemed too easy, as soon as he started getting more powerful he could level up a few times per scenario. Perhaps the XP to advance levels needs to go up faster? I never really did a lot with most of the other loyal units besides these two and my heroes.
Spoiler:
escape: turns. I got to about turn 70 when I realized that I should have gone the other way at the beginning. I don't have any interest in starting over in that case.

struggle: exit trigger seems off. I went to 1.16 and it didn't end. I got out by moving to 2.15.

deep path: turns. Image of potion at 30.10

deception: what if I haven't levelled up a unit to acquire flight? [I might have found the answer in caves of magic, see below].

demonic war: dwarf leader dies long before I could get there to help.

awakening: seriously? It took me 26 turns just to kill the NE leader. It would take 16 turns just to walk from the start to each leader. And really, I think I get pretty lucky here, losing only one or two shamans.

swamps: why does Elynia lose all her XP and 2 HP at the beginning?

ruins: WTF?

apocalypse: WTF?

trolls: 25 turns??? How many turns would it take just to walk to the farthest leader (if I didn't have to fight through 100 whelps first)?

cave of magic: Ended during AI turn when fire spirit killed bat leader (which I couldn't see). Confusing.

donjon of evil: demonic elvish ravager does not exist

armaggedon: The ally elf leader died on turn 9. Had I tried to send units to help him, it would take them 14 turns to get there. After cheating to save him, he and the lich will be nearly dead again on turn 12. Saurian will die on turn 16. I took WAY too many units into the "city" and perhaps I should have sent more to assist the other leaders, but again I probably wouldn't have got there in time anyway. I did not issue any orders, maybe I should have (in theory, I've never seen them actually followed).
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Thank you all of you. Because your feedback helped me to improve and balance the campaign. I upload it with new improvements and I made it more easy to play.
For the 1.14 version, I still work on it. I admit I am lazy but it will be there soon
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 5:02 am If you kill the leader in the attached, it will say you will start the next scenario with 1775 gold. You don't.
That is because the two armies are separated
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 12:59 am In the attached, level up the death knight. Note that the 'faster at melee' option does not restore HP.
Fixed. Thank y
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 6:56 am Okay, pretty cool campaign, just needs a little tuning IMO.

One thing to note on the big maps is that BFW 1.14 is incredibly slow saving the game (and therefore changing turns) vs 1.12. Like 20-30 seconds vs 1 second. So if you have a large map where you do a lot of moving and nothing else, or fighting your way through a narrow cave tunnel, or anything where you only spend a couple seconds on a turn and then have to wait 30-40 seconds it gets pretty tedious.

Other thing on the big maps, remember your player (usually) hasn't seen them, so they may not play them the "right" way. Like when you get the union attack near the end of the scenario, but your heroes took completely different paths and are 25 turns away from each other with 5 turns remaining.

potion of speed: says +3, is +2

Generally, I had tons of gold, until Ruins, where I started with 120. It seemed to get a LOT harder at that point.

The scenarios with 20-25 and like 85 turn limits felt like there weren't enough. The ones with 50 I usually finished in about 25.

I levelled the troll and dark knight way up at first, because I didn't have much confidence in keeping some of the others (such as elves) alive. For the troll in particular, it seemed too easy, as soon as he started getting more powerful he could level up a few times per scenario. Perhaps the XP to advance levels needs to go up faster? I never really did a lot with most of the other loyal units besides these two and my heroes.
Spoiler:
escape: turns. I got to about turn 70 when I realized that I should have gone the other way at the beginning. I don't have any interest in starting over in that case.

struggle: exit trigger seems off. I went to 1.16 and it didn't end. I got out by moving to 2.15.

deep path: turns. Image of potion at 30.10

deception: what if I haven't levelled up a unit to acquire flight? [I might have found the answer in caves of magic, see below].

demonic war: dwarf leader dies long before I could get there to help.

awakening: seriously? It took me 26 turns just to kill the NE leader. It would take 16 turns just to walk from the start to each leader. And really, I think I get pretty lucky here, losing only one or two shamans.

swamps: why does Elynia lose all her XP and 2 HP at the beginning?

ruins: WTF?

apocalypse: WTF?

trolls: 25 turns??? How many turns would it take just to walk to the farthest leader (if I didn't have to fight through 100 whelps first)?

cave of magic: Ended during AI turn when fire spirit killed bat leader (which I couldn't see). Confusing.

donjon of evil: demonic elvish ravager does not exist

armaggedon: The ally elf leader died on turn 9. Had I tried to send units to help him, it would take them 14 turns to get there. After cheating to save him, he and the lich will be nearly dead again on turn 12. Saurian will die on turn 16. I took WAY too many units into the "city" and perhaps I should have sent more to assist the other leaders, but again I probably wouldn't have got there in time anyway. I did not issue any orders, maybe I should have (in theory, I've never seen them actually followed).
Sadaharu wrote: September 8th, 2019, 3:59 am The first scenario loads alright, but the background picture in the pre-game cutscene is a bad close-up of the main Wesnoth map. Perhaps you could use a cutting without zooming in.

Let's play… I'll submit a typos-and-bugs-report later, BUT the link in the description is broken: it leads to a nonexistent topic.
Konrad2 wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 7:40 pmI'd like to point out that 1.14 has been around for over a year now, so there won't be that many people playing your campaign on 1.12.
Yes, I would like to join in this recommendation that if you want testing you use the latest stable version (1.14), especially since the 1.15's are out.
Thank you for the notes.
Potion of speed fixeded (but the potion of stillhdoesntt workproperlyy and istilll trying to fix it).
I increased number of turns in part of scenarios still it is a normal level not easy so it need to be that way
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Now, the dark master is available on 1.14. Thank you all :eng: :eng: :eng:
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Now, the dark hordes is completed and republished on 1.12 and 1.14 :-) :-)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

You uploaded 'The Dark Hordes' as 'The_Dark_HordesI'.
Also, your feedback link right now is 'https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=hermes' instead of 'https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50672'.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Konrad2 wrote: February 8th, 2020, 11:45 pm You uploaded 'The Dark Hordes' as 'The_Dark_HordesI'.
Also, your feedback link right now is 'https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=hermes' instead of 'https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50672'.
I used 'The_Dark_HordesI' intentionally. I want to differ it from the ancient one.
for feed back, thank you, i will fix it. just know that i rarely visit the forum, i m lack of basics (new topics, reply...). i m still learning. it took me a week to make the campaign the dark master and three days for the dark hordes