Campaign "Sanctuary"

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

walodar

Campaign "Sanctuary"

Post by walodar »

Campaign "Sanctuary":

Four heroes holding their well-fortified sanctuary against a flood of enemies, four scenarios, each on the same map. In the first scenario, all level 0 and level 1 units can appear as enemies, in the second all level 2 units, in the third all level 3 units, and in the fourth all level 4 and 5 units.

(Intermediate level, 4 scenarios.)

----

This is the feedback thread for my simple little campaign. It is available on the add-on server, thanks and enjoy!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Campaign "Sanctuary"

Post by Konrad2 »

Wouldn't you say that 2000 gold for the enemy is a bit much, even if it's 'hard'?

Also, starting the 2nd scenario with 0 gold is not fun. ._.

You need a lot of luck to survive until you can recall your first unit. I think that's bad. (Speaking for lvl 2, 3, and 4.)

To be honest, this is not an interesting campaign. But it's bug free.
Attachments
Sanc-Sanctuary Level 1 replay.gz
(56.91 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
Sanc-Sanctuary Level 2 replay.gz
(35.63 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
Sanc-Sanctuary Level 3 replay.gz
(28.74 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
Sanc-Sanctuary Level 4 replay.gz
(27.15 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
walodar

Post by walodar »

Hello,
thank you for playing my little campaign and for your feedback!

I can understand that the campaign feels not especially interesting, it is only a simple setup. I just wanted to try out how it feels to have a small group in a very strong defensive position against large numbers of enemies.

Version 1.0.1 is now uploaded with two small changes:
1. The enemy gold is now reduced, the enemy starting gold in every scenario is now 2000 minus the value of all the provided additional enemy units (for example, 2000 - 434 = 1566 in the first scenario).
2. Since the campaign description promises that all units can appear as enemies, the enemy leader in level 1 starts now with one unit of every possible Walking Corpse and Soulless variation.

I think I will leave the 0 starting gold for the player in the later scenarios, this happens only on the hardest difficulty level (the easier ones start with 20 and 60) and is meant to provide a little challenge ;)

Thank you!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

walodar wrote: August 9th, 2019, 3:13 pm I think I will leave the 0 starting gold for the player in the later scenarios, this happens only on the hardest difficulty level (the easier ones start with 20 and 60) and is meant to provide a little challenge ;)
It is not a challenge. There are no options. A Lancer, Grand Knight, or Paladin can kill my leader in one exchange, no matter what level he is. The only way to avoid getting killed for sure by said units is to hide on a hex surrounded by mountains, giving up all my villages and my ability to recruit. Just so you can killed a few turns later by units that are not mounted.
All it does is test the players luck, their ability to reload the game, and their patience.
walodar

Post by walodar »

Okay, I see your point, the chance of survival for a Great Mage in a mountain village with 60% defense is not totally horrible, but to reduce frustration, I have now raised the starting gold in the later scenarios to 60/30/20 (for the three difficulty levels) in the just uploaded version 1.0.2, so everyone can recall an additional unit immediately.

Thank you!
walodar

Post by walodar »

Version 1.0.3 is now available. If desired, a custom “Battle Mage” unit with quite a number of AMLAs can now be recruited (fully functional, but without any new graphics).
walodar

Post by walodar »

Version 1.0.4 is now available. The only difference lies in the damage types of the custom “Battle Mage” unit (and the corresponding attack animations copied from other units).

Previously, its attacks when fully leveled up were:
12 × 4 ranged arcane (energy orb)
8 × 6 ranged cold (chill wave)
16 × 3 melee pierce (spear)
24 × 2 melee fire (lightning spear)

Now its repertoire is more similar to other mages:
12 × 4 ranged fire (missile)
8 × 6 ranged arcane (lightbeam)
16 × 3 melee impact (staff)
24 × 2 melee cold (frost staff)

The unit was and is very powerful against more or less everything, its use is optional – just for fun. ;)
walodar

Post by walodar »

Version 1.0.5 is now out. The enemy leaders do no longer recruit, but get long recall lists with every unit of that level on it once at recall_cost = cost (or twice if there are two genders, plus all different Walking Corpse and Soulless variations in the first scenario).

This prevents less interesting repetitions of the same few units and the not very likely but quite inconvenient case of getting rushed by teams of Dwarvish Ulfserkers. (This could only happen on the highest difficulty, but still.)
walodar

Post by walodar »

Just published version 1.0.6. For Wesnoth 1.14, the gameplay is the same, just a bit of code refactoring.

The new thing is that this is the first version also available for Wesnoth 1.15. In the variant on the 1.15 add-on server, all the new units and unit variations introduced in Wesnoth 1.15 also appear.
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

walodar wrote: September 10th, 2019, 4:12 pm The new thing is that this is the first version also available for Wesnoth 1.15. In the variant on the 1.15 add-on server, all the new units and unit variations introduced in Wesnoth 1.15 also appear.
So Wesnoth version 1.15 just been released? Is it true?
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

DukeSwampy wrote: September 10th, 2019, 5:37 pm So Wesnoth version 1.15 just been released? Is it true?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50705
viewtopic.php?f=62&p=647008#p647008
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

@EarthCake
Very well, I'll try the new version sometime. Thanks. :)
Last edited by Major_Swampy on September 29th, 2019, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
walodar

Post by walodar »

Version 1.0.7 is available. The map is modified a bit, additionally, the scenarios no longer start with all the villages flagged for the player to prevent very early victories caused by teleporting assassins.
walodar

Post by walodar »

For the just uploaded version 1.0.8, the map underwent a larger revision. The path from the enemy encampment to the sanctuary is now only a narrow strip of land surrounded by deep water, so there are fewer enemy units milling around. The AI is also set to high aggression and low caution.
walodar

Post by walodar »

Version 1.0.9 is out. The year of the campaign is now set to 986 YW, so when choosing chronological order in the campaign menu, Sanctuary appears after Son of the Black-Eye and therefore after all the mainline campaigns except for Under the Burning Suns, since the enemy has all the mainline units including Dunefolk and Woodland Elves. The last scenario is a bit easier and more dependent on the difficulty level. The map is slightly revised.

For the 1.15 branch only, the deprecated fungus terrain Uu^Uf is replaced with the new Tb^Tf, and the Battle Mage unit uses the new {NOTE_*} macros instead of the deprecated {SPECIAL_NOTES_*}.