Legends of Idaamub

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lhybrideur

Re: Legends of Idaamub

Post by lhybrideur »

I can't upload the extensions anymore.
I get a "Invalid icon path" message although I didn't change the main.cfg, nor the server.pbl, apart from version number
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

lhybrideur wrote: July 24th, 2019, 12:44 pm
white_haired_uncle wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 11:52 pm TURN 31: Still backed up in the encampment. Maybe I could at least get a village in here? Looks like worn leather doesn't do anything either.
If think the problem here is mostly that you don't go out of your keep when you can. If you stay in the keep when you can exit, you won't be able to recruit more and will be blocked in the keep. I don't say sacrifice your lvl1, but you could for example go out with lvl0 units to try to kill the bat leader and a few other units.

I uploaded my replay of the scenario. I chose a mage instead of a lieutenant but it doesn't change much. I'm also playing in Normal instead of Easy but I can't say if this change much. I will try to produce a replay in Easy when I have the time to replay the campaign.
It takes about 6-7 turns for me to get the first opening, and then I can either sacrifice one of my level 1 or 2 units or my nearly dead level 0. By this point, there are now orcs arriving, which means that when/if I should make an opening, anyone who tries to advance will just be killed and replaced by an advancing enemy.

I just tried it a few times, and it looks like if you recruit a level 0 or recall a level 1at 21.10, the enemy will immediately advance and you'll be stuck. If you recall a level 2 (in my case a trapper), they stay back and you have a chance. Maybe the enemy should not start so close they can attack on turn 2? Give me a chance to move my first units at least once?

BTW, the replay you posted was from scenario 3.

P.S. Later in the game, I wondered if I shouldn't have chosen a mage (to advance to celestial messenger). I really wanted a good leader, especially with level 0 recruits, but if this is going to be my only chance to get a healer, and with almost no usable villages, I may have made the wrong choice.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

lhybrideur wrote: July 24th, 2019, 5:21 pm I can't upload the extensions anymore.
I get a "Invalid icon path" message although I didn't change the main.cfg, nor the server.pbl, apart from version number
What's the path you're using?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

white_haired_uncle wrote: July 24th, 2019, 7:06 pm
lhybrideur wrote: July 24th, 2019, 12:44 pm
white_haired_uncle wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 11:52 pm TURN 31: Still backed up in the encampment. Maybe I could at least get a village in here? Looks like worn leather doesn't do anything either.
If think the problem here is mostly that you don't go out of your keep when you can. If you stay in the keep when you can exit, you won't be able to recruit more and will be blocked in the keep. I don't say sacrifice your lvl1, but you could for example go out with lvl0 units to try to kill the bat leader and a few other units.

I uploaded my replay of the scenario. I chose a mage instead of a lieutenant but it doesn't change much. I'm also playing in Normal instead of Easy but I can't say if this change much. I will try to produce a replay in Easy when I have the time to replay the campaign.
It takes about 6-7 turns for me to get the first opening, and then I can either sacrifice one of my level 1 or 2 units or my nearly dead level 0. By this point, there are now orcs arriving, which means that when/if I should make an opening, anyone who tries to advance will just be killed and replaced by an advancing enemy.

I just tried it a few times, and it looks like if you recruit a level 0 or recall a level 1at 21.10, the enemy will immediately advance and you'll be stuck. If you recall a level 2 (in my case a trapper), they stay back and you have a chance. Maybe the enemy should not start so close they can attack on turn 2? Give me a chance to move my first units at least once?

BTW, the replay you posted was from scenario 3.

P.S. Later in the game, I wondered if I shouldn't have chosen a mage (to advance to celestial messenger). I really wanted a good leader, especially with level 0 recruits, but if this is going to be my only chance to get a healer, and with almost no usable villages, I may have made the wrong choice.
My bad, I replaced the file in my previous post with the right one.

Concerning healers, you will be able to recruit lvl 0 magi from scenario 5 and there will be healing hexes and villages too. It is however to be noted that the lack of villages is a choice I made, which is related to the recruitment of lvl0 units that can be sacrificed.
Pentarctagon wrote: July 25th, 2019, 12:24 am
lhybrideur wrote: July 24th, 2019, 5:21 pm I can't upload the extensions anymore.
What's the path you're using?
Here is the server.pbl without the passphrase

Code: Select all

author="Lhybrideur"
dependencies="Legend_of_the_Invincibles,War_of_Legends"
description="Dark times await Idaamub. After a long period of peace between races, orcs have begun to attack peasant villages. But, in the dark, a dark presence pull the strings. Travel through Idaamub to prevent it from falling into the chaos. 

(Not balanced yet, 3 scenarii at the moment.)"
email="lhybrideur@hotmail.fr"
icon="units/peasant.png"
passphrase=
title="Legends of Idaamub"
type="campaign"
version="0.1.6"
[feedback]
	topic_id=50079
[/feedback]
The thing is it worked the first five times, but it won't work anymore :'(
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Twisted staff says it decreases damage by 6%. Why would I use that item?

S2
you can't take everything -> can

Athan's leather
bear-handed -> bare-handed

Apparently negative income doesn't do anything in this campaign?

I don't quite see how I am supposed to win S3 without a village and no healer.
Attachments
LoI-Going to Zei-Auto-Save12.gz
(112.32 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

white_haired_uncle wrote: July 24th, 2019, 7:06 pm It takes about 6-7 turns for me to get the first opening, and then I can either sacrifice one of my level 1 or 2 units or my nearly dead level 0. By this point, there are now orcs arriving, which means that when/if I should make an opening, anyone who tries to advance will just be killed and replaced by an advancing enemy.

Here is a replay in Easy with a Lieutenant
Konrad2 wrote: July 26th, 2019, 8:28 am Twisted staff says it decreases damage by 6%. Why would I use that item?
You are not supposed to use it, only sell it. The same stand for objects that do nothing. Do you think I should put it to doing nothing too ? Maybe it would fit better with the other ones.
S2
you can't take everything -> can

Athan's leather
bear-handed -> bare-handed
Corrected. Thank you very much
Yes, it is stated in the walk-through. Should I write it in plain text in the intro ? Or at the beginning of the first scenario ?

I haven't watched your replay yet. I will watch it asap and reply to you then.

The campaign is back online. I had to change the icon to an icon from core
Attachments
LoI-Helping neighboors revoir la partie.gz
Replay Scenario 2 Easy Lieutenant
(49.58 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

lhybrideur wrote: July 26th, 2019, 5:46 pm
Konrad2 wrote: July 26th, 2019, 8:28 am Twisted staff says it decreases damage by 6%. Why would I use that item?
You are not supposed to use it, only sell it. The same stand for objects that do nothing. Do you think I should put it to doing nothing too ? Maybe it would fit better with the other ones.
Yes, please.
Yes, it is stated in the walk-through. Should I write it in plain text in the intro? Or at the beginning of the first scenario?
I'd suggest the first two scenarios. (Chances are that you won't read the walkthrough unless you get stuck.)

What really bugs me about this though, positive income works.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

If the math works out, that might be just enough to decrease the damage of one unit so that it can't quite kill an enemy, so you can give the XP for the killing blow to another.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Right now S3 is called 'The_Bridge_to_Zei'.

S3
When spotting a skeleton, there is a dialog, and the 'space between word and punctuation' is a thing again.
Same for the signal posts.

secret tunnel ->tunnel.

S4 (I made it past S3 with some liberal use of health potions at the beginning. I forgot that I had those.)
portion of the wall -> wall.
is closed back -> back.
richness -> wealth

Please put more than one rune in the whole place. I made it just short of the last room, all of my units with less than 10 hp, 82/90 turns. But of course there is no chance that I can make it past those last 4 units. :/ Especially since one of them is lvl2.
Attachments
LoI-The Crypt of the Sacred Blood-Auto-Save84.gz
(112.06 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

I have watched your replay.
For what it's worth from someone who can finish some campaigns even in easy, I see two main problems in your replay of scenario 3:
  • Utter bad luck: your pikeman almost never hits when it would be needed, especially during the first turns.
  • Not enough units: this comes from the way you played scenario 2. You recruited too much there, so you don't have enough gold to recruit much at the beginning of scenario 3. If you can watch white_haired_uncle's and my replays of scenario 3 (which were not played in hard though), you will see that we recruited much more, which allowed us to have units resting in the back.
Anyway, as I said, I'm probably not the best to give advices on how to play in hard. If you have the time, could you please try to replay with what I wrote in mind and tell me if the scenario is still unplayable.
If it is, where should I place the village? If I put it in 54,2 or 56,3, won't it benefit the enemy more than the player?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

lhybrideur wrote: July 29th, 2019, 10:18 am Anyway, as I said, I'm probably not the best to give advices on how to play in hard. If you have the time, could you please try to replay with what I wrote in mind and tell me if the scenario is still unplayable.
If it is, where should I place the village? If I put it in 54,2 or 56,3, won't it benefit the enemy more than the player?
As stated in my post above, I finished S3 already, by usage of health potions. Right now I'm stuck at S4, but I guess if I didn't have to use the potions in S3, I could use them to beat S4.

I'd suggest adding a line of terrain on top, so you can put the village behind your camp.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

My bad I hadn't seen your post from Sunday.

I did a search/replace of every " !" and " ?" so it should be fixed in the next version.

I will watch your replays of scenarii 3 and 4 asap.

Anyway thanks to both of you for the feedback.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Watched them. It was really nice to watch.
Concerning scenario 3, I maintain than with not enough gold, it is nearly impossible to play it. However, I don't consider using 2 health potions to be a lot.

Concerning scenario 4, I now realize than I really don't give enough gold and turns at the beginning of this scenario. This has been changed. With more gold, and therefore more units, you shouldn't be blocked the way you were.

I will upload the new version later today.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

lhybrideur wrote: July 30th, 2019, 8:58 am However, I don't consider using 2 health potions to be a lot.
I disagree, since I only get 3 potions. (4, if you count the one in the next scenario.)

Actually, is it intended that only my leader can use health potions?
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

You should be dropping around 2 potions per scenario (it's random), so using 2 per scenario is not abnormal.

It is intended that only heroes can use potions. You get one new hero at the end of scenario 4, one to three more in scenario 6, and more later.