Legends of Idaamub

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lhybrideur

Re: Legends of Idaamub

Post by lhybrideur »

Thank you very much for the proof-reading. I will implement it as soon as I find the time.

Thoughts on the proof-reading:
moveto [event]
Io talking with Addthynec
(Original) Addthynec:"You don't come to supply us grain? If the situation is that terrible in arable highlands, sinister days await us."
(Problem) "You don't come to supply us grain?" 'don't' is a contraction for 'do not' but it should be 'didn't' which is 'did not'. Also it needs a 'with' "You didn't come to supply us >with< grain?" And 'the Arable Highlands' needs capitalized
(Corrected) Addthynec:"You didn't bring us any grain? If the crops are that bad in Arable Highlands, sinister days await us."
The first part feel weird to me as an answer to "I'm sorry, but we're not here to mill grain.". What about "You are not here to supply us with grain?"?
I feel like your version is missing the point of the second part of the original message. It is about him being afflicted by the orcish attack having gone as far as the Arable Highlands, not by the crops not yielding grains.
(Original) Siok:"If I had had my scroll, I could have detected it. If I had had my scroll, but it is covered all over with wine stains."
(Problem) "If I had had my scroll, but it is…" 'had had' he is talking in the past tense, so it should be '…but it was…'.
(Corrected) Siok:"If I had had my scroll, I could have detected it. If I had had my scroll, but it was covered all over with wine stains.
It is still covered with wine stains though.

About Siok's story, it was intended as a song, but I do not know how to show that. This is the reason why the sentences are separated.
Dragon-Friend wrote: August 27th, 2022, 3:44 pm Maybe Siok, if PLAYER has no white mages, should appear at the end of Yooradweak's pass blabbing about how Io is nuts to think he can get through Uvju's Cross? Basically, its a way of ensuring PLAYER has a White Mage when challenging Uvju's Cross.
For Siok though, it is insurance of a safe trip away from Zei, because, in this scene, Siok would be trailing Io, but if Io dies, then his trail will end and Siok will have no choice but to return to Zei.
Now! I shall press foreward restarting from Zei!
PS: the reason I didn't hire Siok was because he cost 450 gold. (Prices these days are unreal.) Afterwards in Uvju's Cross I thought, "I will try playing EASY mode in the hardest way possible to see if it can be done."
Spoiler:
This is a good idea. However, I would like to find a way to then counter-balance the free hero. Maybe losing (half) your gold? Or another hero (that would although be very punitive). Or maybe instead of Siok, a random non-hero mage would be more balanced.

I now created a github for my campaign. I will test the last idea in branch called uvju_healer. You will find the beta for food management in the food branch (I corrected a few bugs since July).
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

lhybrideur wrote: August 29th, 2022, 7:01 am
moveto [event]
Io talking with Addthynec
(Original) Addthynec:"You don't come to supply us grain? If the situation is that terrible in arable highlands, sinister days await us."
(Problem) "You don't come to supply us grain?" 'don't' is a contraction for 'do not' but it should be 'didn't' which is 'did not'. Also it needs a 'with' "You didn't come to supply us >with< grain?" And 'the Arable Highlands' needs capitalized
(Corrected) Addthynec:"You didn't bring us any grain? If the crops are that bad in Arable Highlands, sinister days await us."
The first part feel weird to me as an answer to "I'm sorry, but we're not here to mill grain.". What about "You are not here to supply us with grain?"?
I feel like your version is missing the point of the second part of the original message. It is about him being afflicted by the orcish attack having gone as far as the Arable Highlands, not by the crops not yielding grains.
Having the intent of the original message be explained is very helpful. Especially in cases such as this, where the intent was not very clear. "...sinister days await us." I had been confused by that wording, but now it makes sense. Oops, looking at this dialog again I missed a line. :oops:
Addthynec:"You're the first farmer to come to our mill since the orcs have begun the-->began their horrible massacre." (TYPO: begun instead of began, but that is only if Addthynec doesn't speak in a slang.)

"You didn't come to have your grain milled? Then the orc's attack wasn't limited to military targets... If the orcs were that hungry for blood, to the point that they hunted the farmers of the Arable Highlands, horribly savage days await us. No, orcs are more wicked than we could have imagined. Crippling Zei, emptying our granary, and then cutting down the supply chain by slaughtered the farmers who used to mill their grain here, they are far too wretched.
We will only have enough food for a week, best case."
Wow, ouch... this guy really sounds hurt now! (Sorry, but I really had to combine the lines so that the next one would be Io asking if he can help with anything.)
According to my knowledge of the medieval era, milling would be an in town, Zei in this case, service. Thus "to supply us with grain?" would not be right because Addthynec, the miller, would not keep the grain, even if Io could not afford the 'facilities use charge', Addthynec would only get payed with a portion of Io's milled grain. Other than that, what I wrote expresses what I wanted to say perfectly, but when I first saw your post, I thought that maybe Io and Addthynec should have a longer dialog about how it seems the orcs are trying to exterminate their foes in a decisive blow, as a kind-of did with this monologue.
(Original) Siok:"If I had had my scroll, I could have detected it. If I had had my scroll, but it is covered all over with wine stains."
(Problem) "If I had had my scroll, but it is…" 'had had' he is talking in the past tense, so it should be '…but it was…'.
(Corrected) Siok:"If I had had my scroll, I could have detected it. If I had had my scroll, but it was covered all over with wine stains.
It is still covered with wine stains though.

About Siok's story, it was intended as a song, but I do not know how to show that. This is the reason why the sentences are separated.
Hmm... When I was reading it from the code, I was thinking that it was in a poetic format, but I didn't get that feeling when reading it in-game. Hmm... his scroll "It is still covered with wine stains though." A way to express both past and present would be, "but it is still covered all over with wine stains."
In any case, I have been attempting to improve my poetic skill lately, but I will need more time before I can competently finalize Siok's Woeful Adventure.
Dragon-Friend wrote: August 27th, 2022, 3:44 pm Maybe Siok, if PLAYER has no white mages, should appear at the end of Yooradweak's pass blabbing about how Io is nuts to think he can get through Uvju's Cross? Basically, its a way of ensuring PLAYER has a White Mage when challenging Uvju's Cross.
For Siok though, it is insurance of a safe trip away from Zei, because, in this scene, Siok would be trailing Io, but if Io dies, then his trail will end and Siok will have no choice but to return to Zei.
Now! I shall press foreward restarting from Zei!
PS: the reason I didn't hire Siok was because he cost 450 gold. (Prices these days are unreal.) Afterwards in Uvju's Cross I thought, "I will try playing EASY mode in the hardest way possible to see if it can be done."
Spoiler:
This is a good idea. However, I would like to find a way to then counter-balance the free hero. Maybe losing (half) your gold? Or another hero (that would although be very punitive). Or maybe instead of Siok, a random non-hero mage would be more balanced.
I was thinking of many possible counter-balances:

Siok leaves when PLAYER reaches Udxatfe.
Siok cannot attack, but can still defend and refuses to help with anything other than healing.
Siok demands payment before leaving Qyizu. (But warns PLAYER at scenario start.)
Siok could have a reputation variable. Then during the journey PLAYER has various dialog options. Then at Udxatfe, which is as far as I have been, if PLAYER has a bad reputation with Siok, he leaves, or he could just have a higher fee.
The non-hero mage idea would work, but would be harder to explain. Yet Siok could join as a non-hero...
'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.' Aragorn to Eomer The Lord of the Rings
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Dragon-Friend wrote: September 4th, 2022, 1:46 am "You didn't come to have your grain milled? Then the orc's attack wasn't limited to military targets... If the orcs were that hungry for blood, to the point that they hunted the farmers of the Arable Highlands, horribly savage days await us. No, orcs are more wicked than we could have imagined. Crippling Zei, emptying our granary, and then cutting down the supply chain by slaughtered the farmers who used to mill their grain here, they are far too wretched.
We will only have enough food for a week, best case."
This is far better than what I had written :lol:
However, I think you got a bit carried out with Addthynec ranting about "military targets" and the wickedness of orcs. He does not believe that the orcs went to the Arable Highlands to starve Zei. For him, the lack of food is simply a consequence of orcs natural destructive behavior. They just left with all the food and killed the peasants, because they could.
It is also a bit long for a side-quest dialog now.
What do you think about: "You didn't come to have your grain milled? If the orcs were that hungry for blood that they hunted the farmers of the Arable Highlands, horribly savage days await us.
Crippling Zei, emptying our granary, and then slaughtering the farmers who used to mill their grain here. We will only have enough food for a week, best case."?

About Siok's scroll, let's keep it simple with "it was", as you first wrote, then.
I wanted to have each verse doubled and alliteration of his miseries at the end of each verse, but I thought it would be a bit to much.
Here is what the full version would look like
Spoiler:
Siok leaves when PLAYER reaches Udxatfe.
I like this one
Siok cannot attack, but can still defend and refuses to help with anything other than healing.
I would just need to put his max_attacks to 0.
Siok demands payment before leaving Qyizu. (But warns PLAYER at scenario start.)
What if you do not have enough money then? This seems very punitive I must say, but, on the other hand, it is a free hero otherwise.
Siok could have a reputation variable. Then during the journey PLAYER has various dialog options. Then at Udxatfe, which is as far as I have been, if PLAYER has a bad reputation with Siok, he leaves, or he could just have a higher fee.
Seems a bit hard to implement I must say. And there is also no counter-part with this solution
The non-hero mage idea would work, but would be harder to explain.
My explanation was "You intend to go inside Ujvu's cross? Are you mad? I cannot let you go inside without a healer. That would be like killing you with my own hands. Let me come with you until you are out.". Maybe he could ask to be paid once they arrive in Udxatfe too.

Apart from the reputation thing, I like all those ideas equally. Maybe we can even combine some of them. Should I make a new survey?
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

lhybrideur wrote: September 5th, 2022, 7:45 am However, I think you got a bit carried out with Addthynec ranting about "military targets" and the wickedness of orcs. He does not believe that the orcs went to the Arable Highlands to starve Zei. For him, the lack of food is simply a consequence of orcs natural destructive behavior. They just left with all the food and killed the peasants, because they could.
It is also a bit long for a side-quest dialog now.
What do you think about: "You didn't come to have your grain milled? If the orcs were that hungry for blood that they hunted the farmers of the Arable Highlands, horribly savage days await us.
Crippling Zei, emptying our granary, and then slaughtering the farmers who used to mill their grain here. We will only have enough food for a week, best case."?
Perfect! Plus I agree with you that I got carried away, a peasant shouldn't talk about military targets. I wrote that because this peasant has been corrupted by the TV and strategy games. :lol:
I wanted to have each verse doubled and alliteration of his miseries at the end of each verse, but I thought it would be a bit to much.
Nonono! this is superb! Doubling the verses makes it a bit long, but it is partially worth it for the effect. It might need some rewording after a tongue-test (actually say/singing it), but I would do that later. The only modification I would suggest is to have Io interrupt partway with an [option] message. Then PLAYER gets to choose if he wants to read it all, or cut it short.
Apart from the reputation thing, I like all those ideas equally. Maybe we can even combine some of them. Should I make a new survey?
If you don't have a preference, then a new survey is better than me telling you what to do. :D
"reputation" would allow more player control, but it also requires more code and more from the author. Personally I would aim for my ideal, the reputation option, and abandon it 3/4 of the way though coding. :oops:
'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.' Aragorn to Eomer The Lord of the Rings
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Dragon-Friend wrote: September 6th, 2022, 1:47 am Nonono! this is superb! Doubling the verses makes it a bit long, but it is partially worth it for the effect. It might need some rewording after a tongue-test (actually say/singing it), but I would do that later. The only modification I would suggest is to have Io interrupt partway with an [option] message. Then PLAYER gets to choose if he wants to read it all, or cut it short.
I tried to have rhymes in -ed, but it is hard with all the various ways -ed can sounds in English :D
But yes, Io might want to close Siok's mouth before the end of the song :lol:

I was thinking yesterday that maybe having a non-hero White Mage that leaves after getting paid in Udxatfe might actually be better than getting Siok that you would then have to fully level up to White Mage while already fighting the spiders.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Version 0.6 has been published.
It notably adds a food mechanism.
This breaks compatibility with most of previous saves.
There is full compatibility with scenarios before 7.
There should be compatibility with scenarios 11 and 17.
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

Wow it has been a while since I last posted.
Last time we were working on food and a healer after Zei.

On the healer, I am not sure if you have a solution, but (after playing the scenario again) I noticed the "Healing hands" item for sale. If you don't have a solution already, then maybe the objectives should require PLAYER to have a mage or a unit with the heals ability. (Siok is a Scholar, I really thought he was a White Mage, :oops: maybe he should be a mage?)

About food cost, I am thinking that for EASY it should be between 10 and 20 gold for each measure.
I am not sure if you intended it or not but several side quests in Udxatfe give 5 food.
Also Addthynec in Zei doesn't even thank me for eradicating the mudcrawlers.

More proof-reading:
Spoiler:
I am busier than before, so I will be posting the proofs one scenario at a time. (Unless there are very few corrections.)

My turn counts:
Spoiler:
I finished the 'food' branch you had on github, and I will probably restart the campaign from scratch when I get the new version.
Because I noticed a note in your TODO that reads: Delete level-up units from recall list when a hero dies/leaves
[kill]
side=1
type=X,Y,Z
animate=no
fire_event=no
[/kill]

Will do the trick, (eliminating all side 1 units of type x without noting their deaths in the statistics table) but I used my recalls extensively so I will have to replay with this modification.
Last edited by Dragon-Friend on January 7th, 2023, 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Hi Dragon-Friend,
as always it is a pleasure reading from you.
Thank you for all the proof-reading.
Dragon-Friend wrote: January 6th, 2023, 6:04 pm (Siok is a Scholar, I really thought he was a White Mage, :oops: maybe he should be a mage?)
He is a Mage. At least, this is how he is created.
About food cost, I am thinking that for EASY it should be between 10 and 20 gold for each measure.
I do 15 gold then.
I am not sure if you intended it or not but several side quests in Udxatfe give 5 food.
Also Addthynec in Zei doesn't even thank me for eradicating the mudcrawlers.
Damn! I had a whole mini-quest with him that disappeared somehow. I put it back.
My turn counts:
22 turns for Mine Maze. Wow!
I would really like to watch that.
I finished the 'food' branch you had on github, and I will probably restart the campaign from scratch when I get the new version.
Because I noticed a note in your TODO that reads: Delete level-up units from recall list when a hero dies/leaves
Thank you for the how. But I am also not sure if I SHOULD do it.
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

lhybrideur wrote: January 6th, 2023, 9:14 pm
My turn counts:
22 turns for Mine Maze. Wow!
I would really like to watch that.
Thank you for the how. But I am also not sure if I SHOULD do it.
For should and should not, that is what I intend to test the next time I play. I will post each replay (after I have a chance to loose a hero) so that I am not the only one to decide if it is too hard.
My plan is to keep the recalls, but not use them. So that if I change my mind later, I didn't lose anything.

22 turns... oops, that was the only save game I had. I have been saving at scenario end so that even if the replay corrupts, I still know how long I needed; but I forgot to do that at the end of Mine Maze :doh: . At turn 22 I was only about halfway through.
Attachments
LoI-Mine Maze replay.gz
(103.85 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

Started playing the new version of Idaamub and was told: invalid WML found: [describe_all_objects] is not supported.
I tracked the bug to utils/items.cfg,

Code: Select all

#define GENERATE_ITEM_LIST
    [set_variables]
        name=item_list
        mode=replace
        [literal]
            {ITEM_LIST}
        [/literal]
    [/set_variables]
    [describe_all_objects]
        array=item_list.object
    [/describe_all_objects]
and replaced it with the code in LotI's utils/items.cfg. This cleared the problem, but is only a patch.

Another thing, (not a bug this time) at any time I can lose all heros right? Only the player is keeping them alive by save/load. But the game can become ultra hard if I have no heros (and thus also recruits) with me. What if there was a threshold of heros the PLAYER had reach to leave a city scenario?
Something like, playing in EASY, you must have 3 heros to leave a city, but lose during the journey if you lose more than 2 of them? Then the player will always have a hero no matter what.
Then as for recalls, when the hero dies, you cannot recruit the units he provided; but until the next city you can recall them. (Then the units don't just disappear in the middle of nowhere.) And at the city, the PLAYER could choose up to, say 2 * (the hero threshold) recalls, to keep. (And the rest leave.) Only the Peasant and Woodsman recalls from the start would be recallable forever. (But they would need to be separable from hero upgrades, most likely with a unit.variable)
It is just an idea, to patch killing recalls (which is not implemented) and losing all heros. (which is currently possible.)
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Dragon-Friend wrote: January 16th, 2023, 8:42 pm
Hi Dragon-Friend,
it is always nice to read you.
The problem you are facing comes from an outdated Legend of the Invincible on your side.
I had to modify this exact file because LotI modified the file you tracked the bug to.

Concerning the recalls, I agree with you that it would be a bit weird to have units disappearing from the recall list out of nowhere. Maybe I could have one of those units say something like "You failed to protect our mentor. We do not trust you enough to continue with you" or smth like that.

Concerning losing the heroes, I have not tried playing with only Io, but I indeed imagine it must be quite hard.
However, I have also planned smth that did not showed up yet.
Spoiler:
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

Thanks, I didn't realize my LotI version was getting outdated.
lhybrideur wrote: January 17th, 2023, 12:54 pm Concerning the recalls, I agree with you that it would be a bit weird to have units disappearing from the recall list out of nowhere. Maybe I could have one of those units say something like "You failed to protect our mentor. We do not trust you enough to continue with you" or smth like that.
I am not sure that what I posted was understood properly... Having recalls go poof! in the middle of a scenario is just... annoyingly troublesome, but I was speaking more of the scenario setting.
"The adventurer took his troops into the underground dungeon, where he lost the support of their leader. The troops, no longer having a reason to support the adventurer, told him they were leaving and promptly dispersed."
While in a dungeon?! Wouldn't they wait until the party returned to a city? Because, if they didn't wait, then we can say, "After dispersing, the troops met a dragon, (who would later be subdued by the adventurer) and were promptly turned into dinner."
So I thought that whenever you reach a city scenario, (a safe place) any necessary recalls would be [recall]ed and say a "we're leaving" line before they disperse, but that might be frustrating to the player. (Who took time and effort to level them up and keep them alive.)

So I thought, "What if you could keep a few favorites?" Obviously (if this idea is implemented) the recalls would have to say something a bit more positive than what you wrote. Like for Lujeje: "We worked with you while under Lujeje's tutelage, so without her... we have no reason to follow you further than this. However, a number of us want to repay you for your care and seeing to our survival." or something like that. :? :whistle:

As for spoiler, (which would add interest and reduce O.P. possibilities) my hero count idea (to make gameplay easier) would mesh perfectly with it, and it sounds good.

EDIT: another bonus of not removing the recalls until a city scenario would be that the player would not lose combat power until he has a chance to collect more heros.
PS: in scenario 4, there is still a [modify_unit] to change Io's profile. (Don't feel bad though, the last one is always the hardest to find. ;) )
Spirit_of_Currents

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

I equipped a knife, then a club, then things became bugged. Those items also had misleading descriptions.
There are very much electrochemical currents in my brain.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Spirit_of_Currents wrote: February 18th, 2023, 9:34 am I equipped a knife, then a club, then things became bugged. Those items also had misleading descriptions.
Hi Spirit_of_Currents,
thank you for playing my campaign, or at least trying to.
Can you please describe a bit more the bug, or even better upload a save file where the bug occurs?
I tried to replicate it (equipped the turn-0 knife, then a club) but saw no bug on my computer.
Unless you consider that the character changing sprite is the bug?

Can you please also tell me what was misleading in the description so that I can try to improve them?

Thank you in advance
Spirit_of_Currents

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

Here is the save file you asked for. I unequipped the items before saving. You can activate debug mode, give Io movement points, move him to castle and see what you can do with item storage.

The items say damage increases by 3% but actually the damage is much higher when compared to fists.
Attachments
after the item bug appeared.gz
(101.37 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
There are very much electrochemical currents in my brain.