Legends of Idaamub

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lhybrideur

Legends of Idaamub

Post by lhybrideur »

Hello,

this is the official feedback thread for this campaign I'm trying to write in my free time. I have currently a good idea of what will happen in it but it takes time making it in Wesnoth. It is the story of a simple farmer that will end saving the whole continent from an arch-demon. The story is divided in chapter, the first chapter being between 5 scenarii long and the second one 11. The campaign will bring the player through various landscape (snow, desert, caves, etc.) in a quest to discover why the various tribes of Idaamub have begun a war against each other.

The campaign is in alpha stage, as only the two first chapters have been made at the time of the edit, and there are probably some bugs in them.

Thank you in advance for your feedbacks

P.S.: there are also a few points I would like to improve in the campaign, but I lack the technical skills required. I will add them here if some of you are interested in thinking about them.
- Artworks: the images I use in story and portraits are currently taken from old images I had on my computer that I modified. I am pretty bad at that. And the choice I had was limited so the image might not be the best to go with the text. I will try to find better open images on the Internet and replace them, but my main objective is currently to at least finish chapter 1 of the campaign. EDIT : I found someone to do the portraits, but it will take some time
- Turns: I need to set the number of turns for each scenario in order for the early finish bonus to be calculated. If you have played my campaign, could you please tell me how many turns you needed for each scenario and in which level of difficulty you played.
- Recruit list: when some heroes leave or die, you can now longer recruit nor recall the extra unit they brought. Show the level-up of those units be discarded too?
Last edited by lhybrideur on January 9th, 2024, 3:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Legends of Idaamub

Post by Konrad2 »

You might want to know that 1.14 has been released last year, with most of the playerbase going from 1.12 to 1.14.
Also, you can ask for help with specific code/coding goals on the forums or discord.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Thank you for the answer. I will try to find the right place to ask my coding questions.
Unfortunately the official release for my Ubuntu is 1.12.6. But I will try to find a Windows to install Wesnoth on. Or try to upgrade my Ubuntu. Will there be many modifications to do to make my campaign playable on 1.14 ?
What's more, I'm still playing campaigns on 1.12 and I'm afraid I won't be able to open the saves with 1.14.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

lhybrideur wrote: July 16th, 2019, 9:22 am Thank you for the answer. I will try to find the right place to ask my coding questions.
I believe WML Workshop and Lua Labs is what you are looking for.
Unfortunately the official release for my Ubuntu is 1.12.6. But I will try to find a Windows to install Wesnoth on. Or try to upgrade my Ubuntu. Will there be many modifications to do to make my campaign playable on 1.14 ?
Ubuntu is based on Debian and inherits its repositories. You can install it with any package manager you like.
That's the answer I reveiced when I asked a dev about it just now.
I think there will be some changes, but not that many. It depends on how complicated your scenarios are.
What's more, I'm still playing campaigns on 1.12 and I'm afraid I won't be able to open the saves with 1.14.
That's true... But I guess you can start any new campaign on 1.14.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Than you for the quick answer. I'm currently browsing WML Workshop to see if my questions go there.
Concerning 1.14 on my computer, I will install it as soon as I finish the campaigns I'm currently playing. Except if there is a way to convert 1.12 saves into 1.14 ones. I will then check if my campaign works on 1.14.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I'd just like to point out that you can have 1.12 and 1.14 installed at the same time.

On a sidenote, what Ubuntu version do you have?
(You could also go directly to the wesnoth discord server, development channel.)
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

I tried installing both on my old Windows, but I had problems with the management of userdata
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

You should be able to install 1.14.5 Wesnoth on 18.04 by either Synaptic or Ubuntu Software Center. If you want exactly 1.14.7, you should be able to install it via flatpak, here.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Legends of Idaamub has be ported to and tested on 1.14. I will upload it to the server in a few hours.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

TURN 1: I picked up a few ruined armor, which don't seem to do anything. So I smashed one to get a random gem, which also didn't seem to do anything. I tried to go into crafting to see what I had gotten, but all I got was a bunch of error messages.

TURN 31: Still backed up in the encampment. Maybe I could at least get a village in here? Looks like worn leather doesn't do anything either.

EDIT: There are new threads for LoI on the UMC Replays Forum
Attachments
LoI-Helping neighboors-Auto-Save31.gz
(113.22 KiB) Downloaded 459 times
LoI-Helping neighboors-Auto-Save1.gz
(95.34 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Scenario 1
pitiless -> pityless
with the other race, orc -> races, orcs
a peaceful farmer who be teared between a revenge from the past and the survival of a kingdom: I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Was he torn between fulfilling his revenge and saving the kingdom? Would he be all that stands between a revenge from the evil spirit of past and the kingdom?

In the first line of the dialog you have a space between the last word of each sentence and the punctuation.
Same for the second line after stepping on 9,4.

from the orcs -> orcs./orcs!
Might come in use. -> Might be useful later.
Wait for us ! -> Wait for us!

Scenario 2
neighboors -> neighbors
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

white_haired_uncle wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 11:52 pm TURN 1: I picked up a few ruined armor, which don't seem to do anything. So I smashed one to get a random gem, which also didn't seem to do anything. I tried to go into crafting to see what I had gotten, but all I got was a bunch of error messages.
Those come from the LoTI menu. I'm currently trying to fix this bug, as neither gems nor crafting will be used in this campaign. I'll probably do so be adding another object (probably gold) instead of the gems. I need to dig in the code to verify it won't cause more problems.

About useless objects, this is normal. Later in the campaign, you will find shops where you will be able to sell them for gold.
TURN 31: Still backed up in the encampment. Maybe I could at least get a village in here? Looks like worn leather doesn't do anything either.
I will watch the replay and reply when I will have.
Last edited by lhybrideur on July 24th, 2019, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Thank you very much for all the proofreading.
Konrad2 wrote: July 24th, 2019, 7:02 am Scenario 1
pitiless -> pityless
I only find pitiless in thesauri.
with the other race, orc -> races, orcs
corrected
a peaceful farmer who be teared between a revenge from the past and the survival of a kingdom: I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Was he torn between fulfilling his revenge and saving the kingdom? Would he be all that stands between a revenge from the evil spirit of past and the kingdom?
I mistakenly wrote who instead of would. Sentence was corrected to "a peaceful farmer would be torn between a revenge from the past and the survival of a kingdom"
In the first line of the dialog you have a space between the last word of each sentence and the punctuation.
Same for the second line after stepping on 9,4.
Sorry about that. In my language, there must have a space between the last word and '!' or '?' and often forget that it is not the same in English.
from the orcs -> orcs./orcs!
Might come in use. -> Might be useful later.
Wait for us ! -> Wait for us!

Scenario 2
neighboors -> neighbors
Corrected

Once again, thank you very much for the proof-reading. I will upload the new version as soon as I will have corrected the gem problem mentioned by white_haired_uncle
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

lhybrideur wrote: July 24th, 2019, 9:48 am I only find pitiless in thesauri.
thesauri is right and I was wrong.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

white_haired_uncle wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 11:52 pm TURN 31: Still backed up in the encampment. Maybe I could at least get a village in here? Looks like worn leather doesn't do anything either.
If think the problem here is mostly that you don't go out of your keep when you can. If you stay in the keep when you can exit, you won't be able to recruit more and will be blocked in the keep. I don't say sacrifice your lvl1, but you could for example go out with lvl0 units to try to kill the bat leader and a few other units.

I uploaded my replay of the scenario. I chose a mage instead of a lieutenant but it doesn't change much. I'm also playing in Normal instead of Easy but I can't say if this change much. I will try to produce a replay in Easy when I have the time to replay the campaign.
Attachments
LoI-Helping neighboors revoir la partie.gz
Scenario 2 Normal Mage
(48.78 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
Last edited by lhybrideur on July 25th, 2019, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.