Legends of Idaamub

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Legends of Idaamub

Post by Konrad2 »

The campaign has no icon (on the left side of the name) in the campaign selection.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

For version 0.1.7 or 0.1.6? I saw it had disappeared in 0.1.6 so I changed the path to a core one to fix the problem. On my computer I have an icon for the campaign both on the server and in the campaign menu. I will ask a friend to download it to see if it appears on his computer.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

0.1.6 apparently. Updating fixed it for me.

EDIT:
Shields are stored as cloacks in the inventory.
The campaign awards a silver laurel no matter the difficulty choosen. More details in #3983.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Corrected the difficulty
Concerning the shield, it is the way I found not to have to recode the whole item management of LotI as I won't use cloaks but would like to use shields. I will try to have them labeled as shields in the next upload.
Last edited by lhybrideur on August 7th, 2019, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Zei
bring -> take (I do not remember the exact wording, but it was about orcs destroying everyting they could not bring)

The last sentence is missing a period.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Thanks for the correction.
I couldn't find the sentence with a missing period, so I might have corrected it it the meantime.

Concerning shield, I face a technical problem. Items tags are directly used for the menu.
I then have three solutions :
  • Recoding the whole item management system
  • Giving up the idea of shields and turning them into cloaks
  • Letting it go with shield under cloaks in the item menu
I will continue looking for a fourth solution but right now I don't have the time to implement the first solution.
Tell me if you think I should do the second solution or if the third is fine in the meantime.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The second option is fine, and you could add a note about it.
lhybrideur wrote: August 8th, 2019, 3:39 pm I couldn't find the sentence with a missing period, so I might have corrected it it the meantime.
If you feel capable, take me with you
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Thanks for the feedback, I added a message stating that shields are stocked with cloaks.
It will be up with the next version.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

So... I just realized the campaign was broken since last update, with scenario 2 finishing automatically after the first turn.
The campaign is now fixed.

I'm currently coding chapter 2 which will be around 15 scenarii long.
WackoJacko

Post by WackoJacko »

tried to download and received an error message
Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 1.52.30 pm.png
also scenarii? do you mean scenario? or scenarios?
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Fixed. NEUTRAL_SIDE was suppressed from LotI because of the new possibility to set several team_names for a side. I have changed the scenarios formerly using NEUTRAL_SIDE accordingly.

Well, I always thought scenarii was the plural form of scenario but it looks like I was wrong. It is corrected.

Thank you for your feedback. Please tell me if you find another bug.
WackoJacko

Post by WackoJacko »

Its working now, thank you.
I believe the plural "-i" is used for words ending in "-us". So genius-->genii, radius-->radii, octopus-->octopi, fungus-->fungi , and more like that.
WackoJacko

Post by WackoJacko »

Hey ihybrideur,
Just finished what you've got out so far (scenario titled "Zei") and thought I would leave my thoughts.
I played on the middle difficulty, Old Timer (Easy).

Thoughts:
-Game played fairly well although the turn limit was often tight and didn't leave much room for exploring/completing side quests. I had to restart a few scenarios after I chose a wrong route or went exploring through a cave somewhere :lol:
-The crypt scenario was difficult, underground with lawful units, no healing (except right at the start), traps and multiple chokepoints meant I had to restart a few times (which definitely made it easier). My successful run was on turn 61/70 and used prior knowledge of the scenario to try and rush through. My choice Heavy Infantry probably didn't help
-Whenever I opened a cage a bat attacked me, not sure if this was always meant to occur?
-I opened a cage with an orc in it, and instead a bat appeared next to it and both proceeded to attack me (the orc was slightly grey outed/transparent).
-There's not much dialogue so the reasoning behind doing anything is often unclear or unknown. However, this campaign isn't complete so I'm sure it'll make more sense once its done :)

Good work so far, I look forward to seeing where you go with it.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Hello WackoJacko.
Thank you for the feedback.
WackoJacko wrote:Game played fairly well although the turn limit was often tight and didn't leave much room for exploring/completing side quests. I had to restart a few scenarios after I chose a wrong route or went exploring through a cave somewhere
Normally you should be able to explore a bit but it is true that you might not be able to visit all the events.
The crypt scenario was difficult, underground with lawful units, no healing (except right at the start), traps and multiple chokepoints meant I had to restart a few times (which definitely made it easier). My successful run was on turn 61/70 and used prior knowledge of the scenario to try and rush through. My choice Heavy Infantry probably didn't help
Don't be afraid to use healing potions. You should normally find around 2 per scenario.
The problem with heavy infantry is that they are quite slow. This might indeed be one of the cause if you chose it with Io not having the rapid talent. However it should have helped you kill the skeletons ^^.
I opened a cage with an orc in it, and instead a bat appeared next to it and both proceeded to attack me (the orc was slightly grey outed/transparent)
Concerning the bats, this is normal. They are here to give few some extra xp for low level units. Concerning the orc, this is not normal. Could you please tell me in which scenario it occurred.
There's not much dialogue so the reasoning behind doing anything is often unclear or unknown. However, this campaign isn't complete so I'm sure it'll make more sense once its done
I totally could add more dialog. What part do you feel lacks dialog the most ? Do you mean dialog between you and the enemy and with other characters in general ?

If you have the replays, can you please upload them. I would love to watch them. It would really help me improve the campaign.
WackoJacko

Post by WackoJacko »

Replays:
LoI-The Fate of a Farmer replay.gz
(21.14 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
LoI-Helping neighbors replay.gz
(59.9 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
LoI-The Bridge to Zei replay.gz
(57.97 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
LoI-The Crypt of the Sacred Blood replay.gz
(66.02 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
LoI-Reaching Zei replay.gz
(64.58 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
Notes on replays:
-dialogue only scenario not included
-Helping neighbours would've been tight on turn limit again except I accidentally achieved the bonus objective when the orcish leader rushed me (otherwise I would've completed on turn 50).
-The Crypt made use of prior knowledge to avoid certain "dead end pathways" and I may have cheated a little and save loaded on turn 48 to save my Royal Guard :whistle:
lhybrideur wrote: January 7th, 2020, 2:50 pm
WackoJacko wrote:The crypt scenario was difficult, underground with lawful units, no healing (except right at the start), traps and multiple chokepoints meant I had to restart a few times (which definitely made it easier). My successful run was on turn 61/70 and used prior knowledge of the scenario to try and rush through. My choice Heavy Infantry probably didn't help
Don't be afraid to use healing potions. You should normally find around 2 per scenario.
The problem with heavy infantry is that they are quite slow. This might indeed be one of the cause if you chose it with Io not having the rapid talent. However it should have helped you kill the skeletons ^^.
Don't worry, I used the potions whenever I had need ;) Although my drop rate seemed a lot higher, closer to four or five per scenario.
I see you are using the item system, one way of combating this might be to create an item in the boots category which could grant extra movement, or perhaps use an AMLA system to provide additional movement points. However, I am no coder and have no idea if this is feasible or easily implemented, and it leaves the possibility of developing an OP hero.
Spoiler:
WackoJacko wrote:I opened a cage with an orc in it, and instead a bat appeared next to it and both proceeded to attack me (the orc was slightly grey outed/transparent)
Concerning the bats, this is normal. They are here to give few some extra xp for low level units. Concerning the orc, this is not normal. Could you please tell me in which scenario it occurred.
So turns out I just wasn't paying attention to my surroundings (this is what i get for playing at midnight :whistle: ) and an orc simply moves on top of a cage during a turn (~turn 13 on Reaching Zei). When I moved next to it, i was expecting an orc to be released (either joining my side or maybe creating a new side and attacking me or the enemy) but a bat was released in the adjacent hex. So that's all good then. No mistake on your part, just bad eyesight on mine :oops:

Just on the cage thing, I think it would be a cool idea if maybe one of the bats could join you team (it could be injured or grateful or something) or even if there was a goblin or orc captured and by releasing them they grew thankful and joined you. Other possibilities could be that the orc is a criminal or something similar (why he was caged in the first place ;) and so while he doesn't join you, he also doesn't join the enemy, instead attacking you both).
WackoJacko wrote:There's not much dialogue so the reasoning behind doing anything is often unclear or unknown. However, this campaign isn't complete so I'm sure it'll make more sense once its done
I totally could add more dialog. What part do you feel lacks dialog the most ? Do you mean dialog between you and the enemy and with other characters in general ?
So in general theres a few grammatical errors (plurals, tenses, indefinite vs definite article) however these aren't major issues and most users will just skip past and autocorrect them anyway. I've just gone and looked over all my replays and while the dialogue is sparse in the first few scenarios (up to The Bridge to Zei) this is to be expected as not much happens. Io is on his own and he is just travelling so the dialogue that is there fits and works well. However, my main issue is in The Crypt scenario (shown in spoiler below)
Spoiler:
Which is why i thought you might be planning more scenarios or dialogue sequences to explain these points.

Same problem with the final dialogue-only scene. There's four pieces of dialogue and the main hero says nothing and suddenly he's leading an expedition, why?

Anyways, sorry for the long post. I hope you find it useful :)

EDIT: just went back to your original post and saw you wanted turn completion stats so I'll include those below
S1: 45/60, orcs just kept attacking me until I won
S2: 46/50 early finish, would've been 50/50 otherwise
S3: 43/50 however I decided not to explore the north near end point because I was concerned about time
S4: 62/70 used multiple attempts and knowledge of scenario
S5: 38/70 finished comfortably including bonus objective