Mage of Runes

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

white_haired_uncle

Re: Mage of Runes

Post by white_haired_uncle »

I did have a couple liches summoned on me. You can't always get to the portal to stop them in one turn, especially when the boss has come out to block you.

Forgot to mention some missing image files:

'icons/Bergicon.png'
'overlays/Impact_shield.png'
'portraits/none.png'
'portraits/Stone_p.png'
'story/none.jpg'

And I noticed this in _main.cfg:

path="data/add-ons/MageOfRunes/translations"

(should be Mage_Of_Runes)
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Sledge

Post by Sledge »

Thanks for the feedback. I have corrected the mentioned mistakes and uploaded the missing images.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Campagin description:
Aside the normal -> Aside from the
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Definitely the hottest thing in town right now.

OK Feedback:

resitence sounds cool, but it might be resistance?

Buying runes did not fly for me because I did not get it, that the rune dwarf is a vendor. So I did not buy. Maybe make a floating text like "shop here"?

The friendly elven ranger graphics did not show up for me in story parts. I looked at the code and did not find a mistake. I accidentally had "reign of lords" installed and mistook it for one of your features. (Funny leveling to level 5). So it made it easy at the end but I doubt that the graphic issue was caused by it.

The AMLA of the rune mages has a serious tomato surprise, which is not a good thing. For many of the advanced amlas you need to take amla_default first. Basically most player will never see them, because taking a point more damage over 3 HP is a meaningful choice.

The double right click (first rune mage, than the target) is not really needed. Basically clicking the target would be enough since there is only one runemage eligible to cast on it.

Same is for linking. Just show all available runemages in the dropdown menu.

Renaming the runes would be great. Instead of "speed rune slow" "minor speed rune" would do for me. Basically all the minor runes could be called well "minor".

About the art:
The graphic overlays did not work for me. I did myself a bunch of new ones which were much more visual. You can have them if you want them.

The first rune mage graphic could be scaled down by 20 percent. I still would put all four of them on a canvas size of 400x400 pixel. It helps with using them for story art.

The goblin art: I would cut off all the leafs and the flying hat and put him on 400x400 as well.

It would be nice if you have the fairy rune mage without cropping the left wings for story purpose. That would make it bigger like 500x400 or whatever.

If you want any of that from me, you would have to ask me.
Sledge

Post by Sledge »

I worked a bit on the rune magic system and uploaded it to the addon server. As you have suggested I tried to remove some unnecessary menus. Now it is sufficient to select the target for the spell, the corresponding mage will be determined automatically and the respective inventory will be opened. Also the linking should now be a bit easier as also here only the target needs to be selected. When a target is selected a message will appear and ask to which mage the unit should be linked to.
I also included now a back option for the rune inventory so its much easier now to check which runes are available before using a rune.
This new System will only be available when starting the campagin from scenario 1. Already saved files should still be playable but will still use the old system.

If you have any other suggestions regarding the system itself let me know about them :).
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

I agree with Wussel about labelling the rune shop. I immediately realized there's a rune dwarf line, but then forgot to buy after I was done linking all my units. I might even have an event where after you link the last of the units one of the characters suggests buying runes before you leave.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Lets talk strategy:

How did you link?

I did scouts and shooter link with Alyra.
Melee I did link with Laron. (for damage)
Together they are a complete army.

Dwarves( not the pathfinders) and trees I did link with Alba. (for movement)
I gave here the elves too. So basically it is a complete versatile army.

Maybe I should have given some elves to Alyra/Laron?

A few units where linked differently (like maybe 2)
Sledge

Post by Sledge »

Well about how I linked my units:

In general I tried to have a few tanky, quick and strong units with each mage but tried to give the following focuses:
Units that should deal most of the damage I mostly link with Laron.
Tanky units like the dwarvisch lords and woses I link to Alyra or Alba as those two have the most recovery runes within their inventory, so I can keep tanking with them for a very long time.
Very slow units I link with Alba so they can move a bit faster.
I'm not to sure about the elves actually... as they will be very hard for example to hit in the forest when linked to Alba but also can do decent damage when linked to Laron...
To be honest I still need to test it myself which units should be linked to who.

But as the mages are sometimes seperated for each other I try to have at least a few tanky units with each of them, as these might be very usefull in fights like scenario 9.

Regarding linking: I will try to create an option to remove the linking of a unit within the first turn of a scenario. In order to do that I might dissallow rune magic during the first turn. So one is not able to boost a single unit by all three mages at once. Since this could have very extreme consequences like killing an enemy leader within the first turn.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

How about a rune "Break link"?

Basically all 3 get one as a baserune. If they use it they forfeit their rune magic this term, but it will count for experience.

Basically everybody can set one fellow free each scenario. Or one can get two fellows from the other two each scenario.

That would be more in line with the logic for me.

If you want you can give more than one for free. But maybe buying from dwarves would be cool too. That would explains how the old links got cut in the heartrune scenario anyway.

Maybe
minor link removal rune (typical distance)
link removal rune (anywhere on the map)
major link removal rune (removes ALL links)

just kidding
Last edited by Wussel on June 24th, 2019, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sledge

Post by Sledge »

I think the idea of a rune doing it sounds pretty nice. And I also like the idea of making it available in the rune shop in scenario 6.
Guess I will try to implement this rune. But I'm still not sure about the cost for the rune in the shop.
Sledge

Post by Sledge »

Uploaded a newer version of the campaign: The removal link rune is now implemented and I tried to apply most your suggestions:
I renamed most of the runes (new names will only apply when all runes of this kind within a inventory run out or campaign is started from scenario 1)
Also the position of the overlays where change a bit so that they do not get cut off when an other unit is adjacent.
The introduction text for using rune spells is now corrected according to the new system to activate them.
Sledge

Post by Sledge »

Added Scenario 17 now.
I also implemented a new menu item that allows the player to inspect the heart runes of the rune mages showing their major effects and what are their current max levels.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

About 17:

Maybe make it that the player is not loosing by killing the loyalist leader?

Is it in the loose condition?
Spoiler:
Sledge

Post by Sledge »

Yes it is in the scenario description (Death of Gwilam).
Maybe I will change the lose condition to: Laron kills Gwilam
Haven't thought about that it could be very annoying if everything is defeated except the leader and you are justing waiting for the turn limit...
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Should be ok. Maybe give the turn limit 18 or so. Should be enough for a survive scenario. I was storming after 17 if I remember correctly. I killed the bongo leader last after cleaning up all his troops. So I took the 22 turns.

Or give the evil guys reinforcements. But I did already level some troopers in that scenario. Still a pro might be able to beat it much earlier.

Maybe just make the friendly end after enemies are defeated?

But the evil knight was doing some talking.