Main Factions Balance

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Soliton
Site Administrator

Re: Main Factions Balance

Post by Soliton »

Cackfiend wrote: June 13th, 2019, 6:56 pm
Soliton wrote: June 13th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Cackfiend wrote: June 13th, 2019, 4:41 pm Many changes were made to mainline units that the competitive players did not like. Cavalry movement, Orc Archer buff, Footpad nerf, etc.
Did those competitive players voice their opinion when those changes were discussed? (Here for example: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=32430&start=105#p484916)

many many times, over many threads, different forums, in game chat, and pms
Excellent, I was worried there was a group of competitive players whose opinion was not heard or that you for some reason was speaking for all of them.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
sergey

Post by sergey »

People who think that the new dwarvish trait "hardy" is overpowered. Are you interested in trying it? It could be implemented, then tested and rejected.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Crimson_Conure
2019 Amateur Fast Champion

Post by Crimson_Conure »

ForPeace wrote: June 13th, 2019, 10:29 am @Crimson_Conure Thank you for putting effort into your post, but if you want your ideas to really help, gain some experience playing with some veterans beforehand.
Spoiler:
@ForPeace Sorry, I hope I do not sound rude, but...I just don't understand why you assume I don't have play experience with veteran player; I have plenty of experience with some high level players. I have played with Computer_Player, Krogen, Danniel_BR, and many other strong players from long ago (like Elvish Pillager and Noy..but well, I do not really remember many others). I was not very good back then...But recently (as of this past few months after getting back into Wesnoth), I got much stronger.

I mostly studied Sulla's ruins and watched many replays. And I played some practice games locally and noticed I have improved a lot as a player (I don't know how much yet).

Well I mean also, I don't really think experience with veteran players is relevant anyway? Anybody can say the right stuff or the wrong stuff no matter their strength or their experience/wisdom...Thereby, I think reasoning is king :shrug: You have to validate or invalidate my points by experimenting and putting it to the test. I really am trying to help the ladder community with my suggestions.

Well HI are slow that's why cavalryman will be helpful too, for all the scouting. And cavalryman are pretty venerable units in themselves too. You can rush with HI and mage and deal lots of damage, especially to undead. I think this is why we need maybe a ghoul buff or something so that the undead can support their skeletons and adepts with them...It would help fend off heavy infantrymen and poison melee attackers. HI are already expensive for a good reason, but should be more expensive I think.

About your point of completely changing the nature of Knalgans, well it would be a big change but also ages ago the undead's adept was changed from not arcane to arcane. So I think it is somewhat of an acceptable change. In the game you already have Dwarvish Runesmith and Runemaster, I think there should be a level 1 version of it.

Maybe he can be with a cloak and a magic/arcane hammer. Either that, or he could have an attack ability to cast a rune. I do not think it would change knalgans too much because magic units in dwarves already exist, it's just that they are not in default era for wesnoth.

@Cackfiend I would love to play with you!! :D
i know how to play undead but they are just simply disadvantaged (again low health etc.) only they can fight drakes at a relatively high level.

When do you want to play?
Last edited by Crimson_Conure on June 14th, 2019, 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

Crimson_Conure wrote: June 13th, 2019, 8:45 pm @Cackfiend I would love to play with you!! :D
i know how to play undead but they are just simply disadvantaged (again low health etc.) only they can fight drakes at a relatively high level.

When do you want to play?

are you in discord? i live in the USA so it might be tricky to get a game easily
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
Crimson_Conure
2019 Amateur Fast Champion

Post by Crimson_Conure »

Hi Cack, yes I am on discord :)

I am also in the United States! So I am very excited to get a game :)
sergey

Post by sergey »

I have a proposal on the dwarvish trait to make it balance changing effect more predictable.

Currently.
Healthy trait: always rest heal, +1 hp, +1 hp per level.
Always rest heal means they regenerate 2hp if not poisoned and loose 6hp if poisoned.

Proposal.
All dwarves loose 6hp if poisoned.
Healthy trait is not removed, healthy dwarf still looses 6hp when poisoned as any other dwarf.
As a result, healthy dwarves will not be affected by this change. All other dwarves will get buff against poison.

Thoughts?

P.S.
Some math statistics. Dwarf has 40% to get the healthy trait and 60% to not get it. Thus, 60% of dwarves will be affected.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

the main reason to get rid of healthy trait is to have a better chance of getting the other traits, so it has to go

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
CrossBreed

Post by CrossBreed »

CrossBreed wrote: June 13th, 2019, 6:02 pm I want to weigh in for keeping the Healthy trait. It increases variety among the factions and I think it fits dwarves very well in terms of lore.
If it's deemed too weak i would rather opt for buffing the trait itself. Personally i feel it's not too terrible anyway, but that's a different matter. :)
Cackfiend wrote: June 14th, 2019, 2:11 pm the main reason to get rid of healthy trait is to have a better chance of getting the other traits, so it has to go
I still think removing it is the wrong way to go. What speaks against buffing the trait to the point where it can compete with other traits? For example, improve the base HP bonus or the heal amount. Besides, it would also possible to balance out a worse trait set by buffing dwarves some other way.

Removing the trait from the game would make the faction somwhat less distinct from the others, which would be a loss imo.
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

CrossBreed wrote: June 14th, 2019, 2:50 pm
I still think removing it is the wrong way to go. What speaks against buffing the trait to the point where it can compete with other traits? For example, improve the base HP bonus or the heal amount. Besides, it would also possible to balance out a worse trait set by buffing dwarves some other way.

Removing the trait from the game would make the faction somwhat less distinct from the others, which would be a loss imo.
Did you play competitively when Healthy didnt exist? Dwarves were fine. There were a lot more fast and strong dwarves. After Healthy was put in place (mostly to combat how much orc assassins destroy dwarves) it was a huge nerf to dwarves in general for 1v1 competitive play.

EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

I would agree that removing one trait from the dwarves would be bad. Perhaps adding a new trait instead of healthy would be good.
sergey

Post by sergey »

@Cackfiend - buff against poison for all the dwarves is also an essential change?
If not, what about removing healthy + resilient and adding a new trait that is a combination of the removed?
It could be: always rest heal, +2hp, +1hp per level.
Since there will be less possible traits, that will also increase the number of "always rest heal" dwarves.

P.S. And to be honest it is significantly easier to code and test.
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

So if you really think that removing healthy makes dwarves better, then why at leats 3 other traits are better than healthy? And are they better in every case on every dwarf unit? If we considered two of these traits to be worse than healthy, then that would mean that leaving healthy might be good but might be bad and this would need to be further investigated.

I'm assuming that you can only remove healthy.
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

sergey wrote: June 14th, 2019, 3:21 pm @Cackfiend - buff against poison for all the dwarves is also an essential change?
If not, what about removing healthy + resilient and adding a new trait that is a combination of the removed?
It could be: always rest heal, +2hp, +1hp per level.
Since there will be less possible traits, that will also increase the number of "always rest heal" dwarves.

P.S. And to be honest it is significantly easier to code and test.
It's pretty important that for the first test version of the ladder era that healthy is removed. if you cant code a 'hardy' type trait like i suggested then i would compromise with just removing the healthy trait

sergey

Post by sergey »

Cackfiend wrote: June 14th, 2019, 5:28 pm if you cant code a 'hardy' type trait like i suggested then i would compromise with just removing the healthy trait
Ok, I will code it. Also I have an idea how to make it better than I initially though. I mean to show -6 in the UI instead of -8 and then +2.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

Well I think it already is -6, rather than -8 +2.