Mod : Advance Wesnoth Wars

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Toranks
Translator

Re: Mod : Advance Wesnoth Wars

Post by Toranks »

Updated on 1.16 and 1.17 servers: 1.17.10
CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:
AMLA BONUS BRACELET:
Sin título.png
PROMOTED LEADERS BRONZE CROWN:
Sin título.png
Last edited by Toranks on March 3rd, 2023, 2:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Toranks
Translator

Post by Toranks »

I have to make a rectification. The No Random Combat mode works as expected. But Adjusted Damage works weird. Terrain defense 50% with Adjusted Damage 10 is not exactly 50% of base damage +10%, but 60% of base damage + 10%. The rest of the calculations follow a similar logic.
There is no easy way to convert it to linear calculation, but I am assuming the author had a reason for calculating this way and I am going to leave it at that, except that now the default is 0 and allows increments of 1 by 1 instead of 10 by 10 for those who want to make more precise adjustments.

I have reorganized the contextual help so that everything is more compact, clearer and more beautiful with colors. This is the appearance with No Random Combats + Damage Adjustment + Squad Mode:
Sin título.png
More complete explanations are on contextual help of initial Options menu, or on any moment with Help Menu feature activated. Read carefully before set any campaign.
Last edited by Toranks on November 25th, 2022, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toranks
Translator

Post by Toranks »

Due to the lack of a more precise and comfortable contextual help than the Lua console in debug mode, I have learned to incorporate an interactive menu with all the features and their activation status, consultable at any time of the game and only visible to the player. All options can be changed too directly from this menu.
Sin título.png
Sin título.png
Sin título.png
Last edited by Toranks on December 27th, 2022, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waterplouf

Post by Waterplouf »

Hello,
I have a question for you Toranks; what kind of options from the mod do you like/recommend to use, or rather that you like to play with ? I ask because I originally thought the main "feature" of the mod was the no-randomness combats, but after reading some of the posts I got curious on your "stance" on it. I haven't played wesnoth in a very long time and kind of stumbled upon this mod randomly, and I really liked the idea of trying something new with the randomness change. Now I can see the value of all the other options in the mod too, but I am just curious :) .

Big thanks to you and to the original author Ruvaak, for this really interesting mod!
Toranks
Translator

Post by Toranks »

This info is for Advance Wesnoth Wars (fork) on 1.16 and 1.17 addon server:

Non random combats works quite well in my tests, so you can use it if you prefer an absolutely deterministic type of combat. In practice, it is equivalent to the biased RNG in the medium-long term, so you can choose one or the other depending on your taste, it does not significantly affect the difficulty.
Damage adjustment is a game rebalancing feature if necessary, but I'd leave it at zero to start with.

I rarely use the squad mode, but it works well and simulates another type of RPG where the units are not individuals but entire armies whose size is reduced as they receive injuries. Since it affects friends and foes alike, it should theoretically be balanced as well, and that's a matter of taste. It fits nicely into Eras with various units simulating armies in their sprites. The swarm mode is only for the AI ​​to calculate it better when establishing its strategies, I recommend it over the other, but with only losing 1 HP you lose 1 strike, it is more punishing.

Village line of sight is a new feature, the defaults work well if you like to be able to see your abandoned villages, like in other strategy games.

Leveling up without healing is not recommended for new people, it is for those looking for a greater challenge.

Increasing the level number is recommended for newbies because it makes it easier to keep track the number of times your units have leveled up.

I always have the AMLA Bonus activated because I love it, it's basically a lottery of gifts every time a unit levels up, well adapted to the type of unit it is. Previously the gifts were 100% random, now it depends on who levels up.

Promoted leaders I do not recommend it for newbies because it has unwanted interactions with the campaigns. It is more for multiplayer games.

Gifted leaders I do recommend it, because it helps to better preserve the heroes. It also applies to enemy heroes though, so it's balanced. Including the regeneration and distraction bonuses, very useful in leaders.

Passive experience is off by default because it's a tricky value to play with. I generally recommend using double the XP for the AI ​​than for the player, but this isn't always balanced. It is better to start playing with these values ​​knowing the game well.

On the other hand, the experience of Learning from Healing I recommend to the maximum, 6, especially for novices. It helps a lot to level up healers, units that rarely face each other in combat.

The new unit recall cost feature is also highly recommended for newbies, as it makes it cheaper to recall low-level units. The most balanced option is the cost of recruit+1.

Berserk Tweak , Ambush Tweak and Ninja Wars! try them best after you've been playing for a while and understand the original abilities. It gives them a new flavor, but they are perfectly interchangeable and you can turn it on and off at any time.

Enable the Help menu, is the best way to manage the mod and understand how this works. When I first used it I had to query everything via the console in debug mode, the difference in usability now for a new player is huge.
Waterplouf

Post by Waterplouf »

Thank you very much for you detailled answer.
I will try out the biased RNG vs the non-random and see if it fits my tastes.
I will also keep in mind your other recomendations :)
cheers!
Toranks
Translator

Post by Toranks »

New icon to indicate prepared surprise attacks:
imagen.png
Surprise attacks will now instead be a single and fixed amount of damage calculated based on your weapon and defenses, it will be a full round of normal attacks, but without the chance to counter, like before. This adds more realism and randomness, because correctly applies all modifiers and abilities, like charge or poison.

In the next few days I will post one of the larger updates I have done so far, when I test that everything works fine.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I am having a really hard time seeing that "Shadow" on the hill-hex.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
DwarvenWarrior

Post by DwarvenWarrior »

Hello,
How do I make leadership gain 1xp from adjacent battles when they assist their friends?
Toranks
Translator

Post by Toranks »

DwarvenWarrior wrote: December 1st, 2023, 7:38 pm Hello,
How do I make leadership gain 1xp from adjacent battles when they assist their friends?
It is not a feature available for AWW nor do I see it being balanced, it would be an excessive gain in experience.
Even so, if you require it for a specific campaign or your own mod, you can start from the code for the ability to earn XP healing untis to do something similar without much complication.
DwarvenWarrior

Post by DwarvenWarrior »

Toranks wrote: December 27th, 2022, 11:49 am New icon to indicate prepared surprise attacks:
imagen.png
Surprise attacks will now instead be a single and fixed amount of damage calculated based on your weapon and defenses, it will be a full round of normal attacks, but without the chance to counter, like before. This adds more realism and randomness, because correctly applies all modifiers and abilities, like charge or poison.

In the next few days I will post one of the larger updates I have done so far, when I test that everything works fine.
I like the new Ambush ability, it fits much more.
However, if I am allowed to give a suggestion, I would say instead of no retaliation,
Ambush units should attack with Shock specials

I have seen some shock abilities:
in Eastern Invasion, shock weapon of Owaec, only recieve 1 retaliation if used. I like this more and I think it fits your Ambush.

what do you think? as always, I prefer if this is optional, just like how your mod is very customizable.