Kingdom Builder Mod

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: Kingdom Builder Mod

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

New version with minor changes.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Minor changes to scenario.
GrandMarshalEmil

Post by GrandMarshalEmil »

Is there any way to select what kind of keep/castle you build and randomize/specify the type of villages built, too?
PapaSmurfReloaded

GrandMarshalEmil wrote: March 26th, 2020, 11:49 pm Is there any way to select what kind of keep/castle you build and randomize/specify the type of villages built, too?
Not currently, while I believe it is possible, it would be a hassle to code the ability to choose an "architectural style" for each side.
Something similar existed at some point, the ability to make cosmetic changes to villages to make them look like mines, windmills or lighthouses, adding farmlands around them, etc, however it is not currently enabled. I thought it was irrelevant since it has no actual influence on gameplay, so for the sake of simplicity I removed the menu, it still exists amongst the add-on files though.
PapaSmurfReloaded

I published the alpha of a separate a sister project called Kingdom Builder Advanced (not a mod atm). Said add-on was what supposed KBM supposed to look like when I first imagined it before it took a turn for a simpler and more fun design, I''ll be using this topic for feedback of both add-ons.
GrandMarshalEmil

Post by GrandMarshalEmil »

Have just downloaded and am currently using the Advanced version. Does it not have a slider settings options yet? Getting the hang of the resource-gathering phase, but I have to admit it heavily slows the pace of the early game. Would it have an option to increase the production gained from peasants, in the future?
Don't get me wrong, I personally love the mod(I'm all for slow-progressive campaign-style games),and if we're talking upgrading structures, similar to the gameplay of Age of Empires 2, then is it possible to include a feature that unlocks faction-specific level 2 units when you upgrade from an encampment to a castle?(I understand no such feature exists at the moment, but I think that would be cool)
PapaSmurfReloaded

GrandMarshalEmil wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 6:32 am Have just downloaded and am currently using the Advanced version. Does it not have a slider settings options yet? Getting the hang of the resource-gathering phase, but I have to admit it heavily slows the pace of the early game. Would it have an option to increase the production gained from peasants, in the future?
Don't get me wrong, I personally love the mod(I'm all for slow-progressive campaign-style games),and if we're talking upgrading structures, similar to the gameplay of Age of Empires 2, then is it possible to include a feature that unlocks faction-specific level 2 units when you upgrade from an encampment to a castle?(I understand no such feature exists at the moment, but I think that would be cool)
The issue with resource gathering is that if I increased it in the early game, that would lead to than overproduction and abundance of resources in the mid and late game when you have more workers.
About faction specific units, the idea is cool, I'll look into it someday.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Uploaded a new version, only minor changes.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Notice: If you have a version of this add-on that is older than 1.16.211110, please uninstall it manually by either via the add-on manager or by deleting the folder that contains it (it will be located within the Wesnoth add-on folder).

To fix an issue, newer versions of this add-on use a different folder name and ID. This means the older versions of the add-on will not be automatically deleted after downloading the one that is currently in the add-on server. There should be no interference between both versions but those have the older version may find themselves having duplicates after downloading the new one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Forlin

Post by Forlin »

Awesome mod. 8) I downloaded 1.16.211112 KB and tested it. Here's my input:
- I don't understand "advanced" version that is spoken here. I can see only one version in the game add-on menu.
- It would be nice to have mod version number in the mod manual for quick reference.
- Issue? I can build villages right next to keep, instead of 3 hex radius as mod manual states.
- Issue2? Should I be able to build villages close to each others, 1 hex between?

I like farms and windmills. Here is functional input ideas for it, so you can add them back if you like:

Functional reasons:
- Village can't function without food production. Without farm you can only build hamlet.
- Hamlet doesn't produce income as village does. It just heals units.
- Extra feature: Hamlet could refresh movement points only once per unit. This could be strategic reason to leave hamlets instead of upgrading all to villages if my hamlet countryside idea is not implemented (see below).
- Extra feature 2: It would be nice to have same feature for city/villages as keep/castles. City is the center and it expands with villages. Would 9 hex radius between cities be minimum limit? City doesn't allow recruit, it just provides protection. That way keep has still its function. Maybe City adds some protection, but not as much as keep?

General rules how they work:
Unlocking:
- Hamlet unlocks Farm within 6 hex radius from hamlet.
- Farm unlocks Village within 6 hex radius from hamlet (note: from hamlet, not from farm).
- By now it seems obvious that hamlet works as "resource gathering" building/storage for the village/city.
- Windmill is unlocked by village, but windmill can only be build right next to hamlet.
- City is unlocked when you have village and working countryside: hamlet+farm+Windmill.
- City can't be build, it is upgraded from village. Every other thing can be build straight away.
- One farm supports two villages or one city.
- Farm next to water counts as two farms. (resource wise).
- By now (2) it seems obvious that if you upgrade your only village to city, you lock your city building since it needs village. But that doesn't matter, since cities can only be build within 9 hex radius from each others.
- As stated before, countryside resources are limited. If you have maxed villages/cities for hamlet, you can't use same hamlet for new cities unless more farms. Additionally it would be reasonable to limit one city per hamlet, so player needs to build new hamlest for new cities.
These rules guides player to build cities just like how cities were build up in real life. They expand from hamlets -> village -> city, which works as "citycenter" in the vicinity of water. :geek:
PapaSmurfReloaded

Forlin wrote: December 18th, 2021, 12:05 pm Awesome mod. 8) I downloaded 1.16.211112 KB and tested it. Here's my input:
- I don't understand "advanced" version that is spoken here. I can see only one version in the game add-on menu.
- It would be nice to have mod version number in the mod manual for quick reference.
- Issue? I can build villages right next to keep, instead of 3 hex radius as mod manual states.
- Issue2? Should I be able to build villages close to each others, 1 hex between?
1) Advanced was an alternate project that worked more like Age of Empires (different resources, technologies, etc), however there were already 3-4 others add-ons like that, so I decided to keep KBM as simple as possible.
2) Maybe in a future version, it's an ok suggestion!
3) That's fine, 1 hex is located from keep is located within a 3 hexes radius.
4) This is also fine, working as intended.
PapaSmurfReloaded

HUGE UPDATE! :mrgreen:

Now the game can be played with AI controlled sides, which can build and promote units in the same fashion human players and by following the same rules (mostly). The add-on works in any map and era.

This took two days to make, probably I could have done it a few years ago. :whistle:
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Wow! The scope of this mod looks incredible. I tried it across a couple of starts to see what it was like but I'm running into a couple of issues:

1. I only have options to build Keeps and Roads (or Cancel). When I look at the AI they are building a Keep surrounded by Castles etc as well. I can't build Villages at all.

2. I can build as many Keeps as I like no matter how close to other Keeps.

I'm playing with the Steam version of the game if that helps.
PapaSmurfReloaded

DasTactic wrote: September 29th, 2022, 4:38 am Wow! The scope of this mod looks incredible. I tried it across a couple of starts to see what it was like but I'm running into a couple of issues:

1. I only have options to build Keeps and Roads (or Cancel). When I look at the AI they are building a Keep surrounded by Castles etc as well. I can't build Villages at all.

2. I can build as many Keeps as I like no matter how close to other Keeps.

I'm playing with the Steam version of the game if that helps.
The game has a manual with the rules which dictate how to create the different buildings terrains (Keep, castle, road, village)
I'll look it into this afternoon to see if there is any bug.