The Garardine Ascendancy (SP campaign for BfW 1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

white_haired_uncle

Re: The Garardine Ascendancy (SP campaign for BfW 1.14)

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Crossing the River: end dialog occurs twice.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
white_haired_uncle

Not sure if it was intentional or not, but chapter seven (I went north) was a lot harder than the rest. I played on easy, and most of the campaign after the first couple scenarios was pretty easy, but the last two scenarios were pretty brutal.
Spoiler:
P.S. I like that you gave the option to skip dialog a couple times.
Argesilao

Post by Argesilao »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 27th, 2018, 2:24 am Crossing the River: end dialog occurs twice.
Can you give me some information on how you have concluded the scenario? :hmm:
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 27th, 2018, 5:15 am Not sure if it was intentional or not, but chapter seven (I went north) was a lot harder than the rest. I played on easy, and most of the campaign after the first couple scenarios was pretty easy, but the last two scenarios were pretty brutal.
Well, was intentional the last two scenarios were the hardest of the campaign, but it isn't intentional they were brutal :shock:
Spoiler:
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 27th, 2018, 5:15 am P.S. I like that you gave the option to skip dialog a couple times.
I hope you don't skip them for the quality of my english :oops:
white_haired_uncle

My autosaves are gone, but I think the key piece is that I brought the last required unit over on the last turn. The same dialog is triggered by the events turn_end and time_over.

I wasn't sure, but because the objective said there was an early finish bonus I figured there was a chance that if I brought all my heroes over first I could finish early and lose units, so I kept one to be the last one over the river.
sergey

Post by sergey »

Finished chapter 4, replays are attached.
Spoiler:
TGA-Burning Town replay.gz
(70.02 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
TGA-Aethenwood replay.gz
(49.57 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
TGA-The Battle for Westin replay.gz
(85.76 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
TGA-The Dark Side of the Woods replay.gz
(79.81 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
nenau

Post by nenau »

Hello,

First, thank you for this campaign I did enjoy a lot.
I have by chance detected what I belive to be a small unlikely bug in the victory condition of the scenario "Painted Desert" (where you have to cross a desert while fighting ugly lvl 3 undeads) :
If Baharim gets to the outpost, then goes away, then all the 3 others (Langlot,Betlinda,Sangyn) go to the outpost, and finally Baharim goes back to the outpost, you dont win the scenario, witch I assume is not the expected behaviour.
This is because in the code of the scenario, at line 494 you trigger the victory event only if one of the 3 (Langlot,Betlinda,Sangyn) goes to the outpost, while I assume Baharim should also trigger it.
Argesilao

Post by Argesilao »

Adamant14 wrote: December 26th, 2018, 10:05 am id=0404 The Battle for Westin

Code: Select all

profile=portraits/elvish_marshal.png
This displays an 'Image not found' error
fixed
Adamant14 wrote: December 26th, 2018, 10:05 am

{FLAG_VARIANT elvish-wood}
This displays an 'Image not found' error. It should be wood-elvish, not elvish-wood
fixed
Adamant14 wrote: December 26th, 2018, 10:05 am

profile=portraits/durstorn.png
This displays an 'Image not found' error
fixed
Adamant14 wrote: December 26th, 2018, 10:05 am The defence animation lacks a '/wose' in the second part.
fixed
Adamant14 wrote: December 26th, 2018, 10:05 am Ant (unit.cfg):

icon=attacks/fangs-ant.png
Image not found
fixed
sergey wrote: December 26th, 2018, 2:24 pm I reviewed some WML of the campaign and observed several problems.
Spoiler:
All fixed
nenau wrote: December 30th, 2018, 4:41 pm Hello,

First, thank you for this campaign I did enjoy a lot.
I have by chance detected what I belive to be a small unlikely bug in the victory condition of the scenario "Painted Desert" (where you have to cross a desert while fighting ugly lvl 3 undeads) :
If Baharim gets to the outpost, then goes away, then all the 3 others (Langlot,Betlinda,Sangyn) go to the outpost, and finally Baharim goes back to the outpost, you dont win the scenario, witch I assume is not the expected behaviour.
This is because in the code of the scenario, at line 494 you trigger the victory event only if one of the 3 (Langlot,Betlinda,Sangyn) goes to the outpost, while I assume Baharim should also trigger it.
fixed
sergey wrote: December 30th, 2018, 11:43 am
Spoiler:
Uhm! :hmm: I'll do something for this thing.
sergey wrote: December 30th, 2018, 11:43 am
Spoiler:
Fixed
sergey wrote: December 30th, 2018, 11:43 am Generally, I found chapter 4 very interesting. It provides different battle situations and challenges. I looked at the beginning of chapter 5, there is an intriguing plot twist. Looking forward to play it :D
The chapter 5 is my favourite
sergey

Post by sergey »

In the Heat of the Night
Played on easy. It was good to have a rest from large battles and play a different type of a scenario. Minor idea - change description of healing potion and say that it heals 8 hp (I was not sure if it heals full or 8 hp).

Walking in the Underground
Played on normal. Dark adepts may make a lot of troubles, so I decided to avoid them. Not hard to play. It gives a feeling of running away.

Temporary Heroes
Played on normal. Very good skirmish type scenario. I think it would be more logical for the guards to move and fight if their prisoner escaped.

Bug in "Forced Enemies" scenario. Lorena has no unit image, perhaps units/human-peasants/female+senior-village-elder.png image not found.

After the "Painted Desert" scenario I have the Dune Spearguard unit with 0 movement in my recall list.
TGA-In the Heat of the Night replay.gz
(68.84 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
TGA-Walking in the Underground replay.gz
(74.07 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
TGA-Temporary Heroes replay.gz
(78.42 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Argesilao

Post by Argesilao »

sergey wrote: January 7th, 2019, 7:27 pm In the Heat of the Night
Minor idea - change description of healing potion and say that it heals 8 hp (I was not sure if it heals full or 8 hp).
done
sergey wrote: January 7th, 2019, 7:27 pm Temporary Heroes
Played on normal. Very good skirmish type scenario. I think it would be more logical for the guards to move and fight if their prisoner escaped.
It's a good idea; done
sergey wrote: January 7th, 2019, 7:27 pm Bug in "Forced Enemies" scenario. Lorena has no unit image, perhaps units/human-peasants/female+senior-village-elder.png image not found.
fixed
sergey wrote: January 7th, 2019, 7:27 pm After the "Painted Desert" scenario I have the Dune Spearguard unit with 0 movement in my recall list.
fixed

All done or fixed in the 1.1.4 version.

Thanks for the feedbacks :)
sergey

Post by sergey »

Played on normal.

Chapter 6

Forced Enemies
This was easy one. I simply walked through the map. What do you think about making it harder by:
- adding peasants to different spots on the map at the start
- modifying terrain to slower player's units (river, swamp, forest, hills, mountains)
- mounted units are chasing the player. when I played they were not even close to my units

Painted Desert
This was cool. But I felt like the reward for killing lich is too small.
Spoiler:
Chapter 7

With Open Cards
I liked that scenario too. A lot of horsemen in the beginning is devastating. Maybe Betlinda should have less gold to make it more challenging? And one minor idea - what do you think about removing the stones near the outer walls or replacing them with castle tiles? I mean, the walls look partially ruined. It may be nice from the story perspective to have walls fixed, Garard should be a good ruler.

Invincible
I think you may give larger castles to the generals. 

The story in the chapter 7 is good.

You described enemy characters and they are pretty convincing, they are deeper than I expected. Also I liked that Betlinda character is a little bit rough. Each character is unique and have its own intentions.

I read the Wesnoth Timeline once again after I finished "The Garardine Ascendancy". Congratulations for finding the blind-spot in the Wesnoth history and filling it with this excellent campaign! :D
TGA-Forced Enemies replay.gz
(68.7 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
TGA-Painted Desert replay.gz
(74.42 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
TGA-With Open Cards replay.gz
(95.5 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
TGA-Invincible replay.gz
(105.8 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
Argesilao

Post by Argesilao »

sergey wrote: January 11th, 2019, 1:00 pm This was easy one. I simply walked through the map. What do you think about making it harder by:
- adding peasants to different spots on the map at the start
- modifying terrain to slower player's units (river, swamp, forest, hills, mountains)
- mounted units are chasing the player. when I played they were not even close to my units
I saw your replay, and I thought it was absolutely necessary to change something; I will add mountains on the east side of the map, to force the player to cross the village or stay to the west, nearest the apparition point of the pursuers, and I will make the pursuers appear a turn before.
sergey wrote: January 11th, 2019, 1:00 pm Painted Desert
This was cool. But I felt like the reward for killing lich is too small.
There is also the moral satisfaction :lol:
sergey wrote: January 11th, 2019, 1:00 pm With Open Cards
Maybe Betlinda should have less gold to make it more challenging?
Bearing in mind that this is in any case an intermediate level of difficulty, how much would you reduce Betlinda's gold?
sergey wrote: January 11th, 2019, 1:00 pm And one minor idea - what do you think about removing the stones near the outer walls or replacing them with castle tiles? I mean, the walls look partially ruined. It may be nice from the story perspective to have walls fixed, Garard should be a good ruler.
When I conceived the scenario, I had thought about putting the whole circle of city walls back on track, but then I preferred to leave the walls in ruins in some places, to make more difficult to defend the city and also to diversify the map.
After all it's very long and expensive rebuild the walls of a castle.
sergey wrote: January 11th, 2019, 1:00 pm Invincible
Why do you think so?
sergey wrote: January 11th, 2019, 1:00 pm You described enemy characters and they are pretty convincing, they are deeper than I expected. Also I liked that Betlinda character is a little bit rough. Each character is unique and have its own intentions.

I read the Wesnoth Timeline once again after I finished "The Garardine Ascendancy". Congratulations for finding the blind-spot in the Wesnoth history and filling it with this excellent campaign! :D
Yours satisfaction it's my satisfaction :D

Thank you for all
sergey

Post by sergey »

Argesilao wrote:
sergey wrote: I felt like the reward for killing lich is too small.
There is also the moral satisfaction :lol:
:D
Argesilao wrote: January 11th, 2019, 7:28 pm Bearing in mind that this is in any case an intermediate level of difficulty, how much would you reduce Betlinda's gold?
Starting gold in my case was:
Garard 300
Carolys 400
Gan-Lordur 250
Appaladyn 400
Sangyn 368

In total:
player 668
computer 1050

Numbers looks good. Probably player's veterans and expensive enemy horseman (vs cheap spearmen) are important factors. Maybe change Sangyn's gold to be 280? Though that will vary depending on the carryover bonus.
Argesilao wrote:
sergey wrote: Invincible
Why do you think so?
They will be able to recruit faster in that case, and the scenario will be more challenging.
Argesilao

Post by Argesilao »

sergey wrote: January 11th, 2019, 8:20 pm In total:
player 668
computer 1050

Numbers looks good. Probably player's veterans and expensive enemy horseman (vs cheap spearmen) are important factors. Maybe change Sangyn's gold to be 280? Though that will vary depending on the carryover bonus.
I think you are right :hmm:
I'll set to 0 the gold that Betlinda received at the start of the scenario (now is the default value of 100)
sergey wrote: Invincible
Argesilao wrote: Why do you think so?
They will be able to recruit faster in that case, and the scenario will be more challenging.
I'll probably do some change in the general's castles position and dimension, but I have not yet decided how to do it :|
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

I think Weldyn is too small in last scenario. Dan' Tonk is larger than Weldyn in campaign, but I don't think that should be the case.
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

EarthCake wrote: April 5th, 2019, 8:08 pm I think Weldyn is too small in last scenario. Dan' Tonk is larger than Weldyn in campaign, but I don't think that should be the case.
According to wiki Dan'Tonk is Wesnoth's largest city.