Winds of Fate

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Argesilao2

Re: Winds of Fate 3.0.6 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.15.14 and up)

Post by Argesilao2 »

Just finished, playing version 3.0.7 with BfW 1.16.1, difficult Challenging.

I had wondered why so many strange animal units were included in the official units in BfW 1.16, and now I know the answer. :shock:

I think the Drakes' mentality has been rendered very well, and the overall plot of the story is good, even if it's really hard to fit it into Wesnoth's lore.
Spoiler:
But in some scenarios, in my opinion, the gameplay is somewhat questionable :hmm: ; In particular, I believe that the Wesmere scenario needs to be completely revised; at least remove the leopard's side :augh: !

Thank you for your work.
name

Re: Winds of Fate 3.0.7 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.15.14 and up)

Post by name »

`
Thank you for the feedback! Glad to hear you enjoyed the story.
Argesilao2 wrote: November 26th, 2021, 8:21 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Argesilao2 wrote: November 26th, 2021, 8:21 pm But in some scenarios, in my opinion, the gameplay is somewhat questionable :hmm: ; In particular, I believe that the Wesmere scenario needs to be completely revised; at least remove the leopard's side :augh: !
Could you provide your replay for the Wesmere scenario (and replays for any other scenarios that were too difficult)?

Seeing how everything happened in a replay helps us adjust the difficulty level in a more precise way. It may be we need to give your side more gold or take some away from your opponents, or it could even be the dialogue and objective screen did not give enough strategy hints for the weirder or more complicated scenario(s).
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

name wrote: November 27th, 2021, 2:56 am Could you provide your replay for the Wesmere scenario (and replays for any other scenarios that were too difficult)?

Seeing how everything happened in a replay helps us adjust the difficulty level in a more precise way. It may be we need to give your side more gold or take some away from your opponents, or it could even be the dialogue and objective screen did not give enough strategy hints for the weirder or more complicated scenario(s).
Considering that I played with a challenging difficult, there isn't a problem of undue difficulty, on the contrary, perhaps a few scenarios are too easy and trivial, and Wesmere is one of this.
Spoiler:

The problem is, for my personal taste, that in some scenarios the presence of wildlife sides is excessive, like in the Three sisters' scenario, or, as in the Wesmere scenario, completely out of place. :hmm:

P.S. About the arrival of drakes in Green Island, in one of my campaigns, only two centuries after the great orc invasion, did I bring drakes to the island for the first time. If Winds of Fate is put on the mainline as it is, I will have to change a lot of things in my campaign. :augh:
I'm joking :lol:
But not at all :cry:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

that in some scenarios the presence of wildlife sides is excessive
Spoiler:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
name

Post by name »

Argesilao2 wrote: November 27th, 2021, 7:42 am Considering that I played with a challenging difficult, there isn't a problem of undue difficulty, on the contrary, perhaps a few scenarios are too easy and trivial, and Wesmere is one of this.
Hmm, you might like the higher difficulty level then, because for BfW 1.16 all the mainline campaign difficulties became one level easier.

So what was called "challenging" for the last 16 years is now called "difficult" in all of mainline. And since Winds of Fate is targeting mainline, I had to rename all the difficulty levels for v3.0.6.

For the Wesmere scenario specifically:
Spoiler:
Argesilao2 wrote: November 27th, 2021, 7:42 am The problem is, for my personal taste, that in some scenarios the presence of wildlife sides is excessive, like in the Three sisters' scenario, or, as in the Wesmere scenario, completely out of place. :hmm:
I will keep this in mind. I could maybe reduce the wildlife spawn rate and increase the size of the human forces.

(Though I really do like showcasing doofus-01's excellent sprite work for the highly varied wildlife.)
Argesilao2 wrote: November 27th, 2021, 7:42 am P.S. About the arrival of drakes in Green Island, in one of my campaigns, only two centuries after the great orc invasion, did I bring drakes to the island for the first time. If Winds of Fate is put on the mainline as it is, I will have to change a lot of things in my campaign. :augh:
Sorry about that, I had no idea anyone else but myself had thought to do something like that. What is the name of your campaign where this happens 200 years later?
Lord-Knightmare wrote: November 27th, 2021, 8:29 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Spoiler:
WOAH. I didn't know that this part existed. I guess this is the easter egg I have missed in the final scenario. Oh well, maybe next time.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

name wrote: November 28th, 2021, 3:30 am
Argesilao2 wrote: November 27th, 2021, 7:42 am P.S. About the arrival of drakes in Green Island, in one of my campaigns, only two centuries after the great orc invasion, did I bring drakes to the island for the first time. If Winds of Fate is put on the mainline as it is, I will have to change a lot of things in my campaign. :augh:
Sorry about that, I had no idea anyone else but myself had thought to do something like that. What is the name of your campaign where this happens 200 years later?
The campaign is Stories of the Green Island - Reconquest of Heaven, but, after all, it might be an opportunity to make some changes to it. :hmm:
name

Post by name »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: November 28th, 2021, 10:53 am I guess this is the easter egg I have missed in the final scenario.
Sorry, I meant this is a change I might make to the final scenario in a future version of WoF. Currently, it does not work this way.

The goal would be to make the final scenario a bit more dynamic, with more varied unit types being used on both sides. So it would not be an optional easter egg or such, but an event that happens in the opening dialogue exchange (and is unavoidable by the player).
Argesilao2 wrote: November 28th, 2021, 3:05 pm The campaign is Stories of the Green Island - Reconquest of Heaven, but, after all, it might be an opportunity to make some changes to it. :hmm:
Thanks, I will try to give it a play through in the future.
name

Re: Winds of Fate 3.0.8 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.16)

Post by name »

Winds of Fate 3.0.8 is now available on the Wesnoth 1.16.x add-on server for BfW 1.16.0 and up!

Changes:

Add more lore regarding ancient drake history to story lines
Add clasher secret tablets
Make conclusion more conclusive and better set up next chapter of drake history
Clarify drake speech
Clarify saurian speech
S01: Reduce beetle population
S02: Add rogue drake encounter
S04: Add to mermish characterizations
S06: Add to human characterizations and minor lore ties with TRoW and SotA
S07: Add to elf characterizations and "secret" lore ties with UtBS and TRoW
S08: Fix undead attacking gates
S09: Rewrite dragon encounter
S11: Opponent now has saurian recruits as well
Renamed most scenarios to a drake perspective
Update story and dialect documents with much more lore and language
Various cosmetic and grammar fixes
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Re: Winds of Fate 3.x.x (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.16)

I guess I should re-play these.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 25th, 2021, 11:48 am
I guess I should re-play these.
Wait...what...you killed my save files? :augh: None of them work anymore
name

Post by name »

Sorry about that. We agreed to rename some of the scenarios as part of the mainlining process, which gave them a fairly piecemeal sounding naming convention. Since a lot of the scenario names were left over from two major rewrites ago anyway (using a lot of human terms for things that would be unfamiliar to the drakes at this point in history) I figured it was best to just redo them from a drake/story perspective. With mainline looking close at this point, it seems like the right time for this sort of polish.

Here's the saves used for the final testing of this version; you can use these if you want to test with some recalls:
WoF-3.0.8-saves.zip
(209.91 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
(difficulty can be adjusted from the BfW load menu)

Also you may want check out the revised S6x "Winds of Fate" story scenario, since it explains a little bit of the background lore which is referenced in S9 and S11.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

I have played the revised scenario 9 (to see the change).
Comments:
It is good, better than the last one. Has one slight issue: can the objectives be updated after the interaction with the Ancestor (dragon)? I was left confused at what to do when the interaction ended. Normally, an update to objectives is shown again to notify what the next action should be.
name

Post by name »

Good catch, I will fix that for the next version.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

name wrote: December 29th, 2021, 2:33 pm Good catch, I will fix that for the next version.
Since this is in mainline now, I am currently making a Walkthrough of it.