Winds of Fate

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Winds of Fate

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Wings of Victory v0.8.0 is now available on the 1.14 add-on server.

A Drake campaign, it is "fully armed and operational" with 11 fully playable scenarios plus 2 story only.
Intended to be added to Mainline at some point in the 1.15 development cycle

The thread for the previous version on the 1.10 add-on server is here: https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32018
Many changes from the previous 0.4.0 alpha version on the 1.10 add-on server.

The story starts shortly post-TRoW in 3 YW with increasing population pressure on the drake homeland of Morogor and the drakes inspired to find new lands.
It is Galun's journey to become a drake Dominant, and then find a home for his Flight across the Great Ocean somewhere on the Great Continent.
Last edited by SigurdFireDragon on August 20th, 2022, 1:39 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Wings of Victory 0.8.0 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Post by Konrad2 »

The Hunt
Purple is the only side that never moves or attacks (boar).
The unit type 'Shoat' (still boars) has a 'Tusks' attack (blade) with the charge special, but advances into a 'Tusker', which has a 'Tusks' attack (blade) without charge, but also has 'Tusk Charge' attack (pierce) with the charge special. And that's kinda not making much sense. Right now the lvl 0 Shoat deals while attacking with his Tusks more dmg than his lvl 1 advancement. (I suggest changing the Shoats attack into a Tusk Charge attack, 6-2 melee, pierce, charge.)

EDIT:
The way the story is written somewhat breaks with the usual style, it's mostly told in the present. (No past tenses at all.)

EDIT 2:
The Contention
What'S the explanation story wise for my enemy having way more income than me?

EDIT 3:
You earn full xp for kills.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Wings of Victory 0.8.1 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Version 0.8.1 is up

Bug fixes:

01 The Hunt
Shoat changed to Tusklet
Boar leveling now makes sense
The Tuskers & Tusklets now move

03 The Contention
The dialog now states why enemy starts with different income
Kill xp reverting to full when loading from a save has been fixed

Thanks for the bug reports Konrad2.
I've noted the story style issues, I'll look into it.
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Wings of Victory 0.8.1 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Post by Konrad2 »

Islands
My units repeat the 'drake in water' in water message whenever a Sea Serpent emerges from the depths. (Is that intended?)

The_Three_Sisters
That's the way the scenario is refered to in the scenario prologue and the sceario objectives. But not in the save files. So, probably technically a bug.
Also, while the campaign takes around 3YW, this scenario uses a world map from around 400YW (I'm guessing based on the amount of cities).
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Wings of Victory 0.8.2 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Version 0.8.2 is up

Changes
06 The Three Sisters
Removed underscores from the scenario name

Replies
Konrad2 wrote: December 9th, 2018, 10:49 pm Islands
My units repeat the 'drake in water' in water message whenever a Sea Serpent emerges from the depths. (Is that intended?)
Maybe, it was intended to match TRoW Rough Landing, but with a different message. The new message might not work as well, noted.
Konrad2 wrote: December 9th, 2018, 10:49 pm Also, while the campaign takes around 3YW, this scenario uses a world map from around 400YW (I'm guessing based on the amount of cities).
Noted.

Thanks, Konrad2
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

SigurdFireDragon wrote: December 10th, 2018, 5:40 pm
Konrad2 wrote: December 9th, 2018, 10:49 pm Islands
Maybe, it was intended to match TRoW Rough Landing, but with a different message. The new message might not work as well, noted.
I'm mostly 'taking offense' at them repeating the same thing three times. How about having them say the 2nd time 'Look, another one of those beasts!' and the 3rd time 'A third one? Now that's a challenge! Burn them!'
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Firstly, I am happy that you guys FINALLY decided to bring this campaign back from the grave.

Secondly, my review:
I loved most of the scenarios overall and was impressed on how the remaining plot-holes were filled, compared to the original release. However, the scenarios lacked objective-variety...Like all of them were "Kill all enemy leaders"
The Three Sisters:
Wesmere:
Foothills:
The Confrontation:
In any case, I am happy that someone brought this back... :D :D :D
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 11th, 2018, 8:25 am
The Three Sisters:
Spoiler:
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Shouldn't there be three temples on the island?
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Wings of Victory 0.8.3 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Version 0.8.3 is up

Changes:
01 The Hunt
Slight cleanup of boar movement code that may improve behavior.

05 Islands
Serpent message changed to something less annoying when repeated for now.

06 The Three Sisters
Temples have been added.

Replies:
Konrad2 wrote: December 10th, 2018, 6:04 pm How about having them say the 2nd time 'Look, another one of those beasts!' and the 3rd time 'A third one? Now that's a challenge! Burn them!'
I might do something like this later on, thanks.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 11th, 2018, 8:25 am I am happy that someone brought this back...
Thanks, it's appreciated. :)
Konrad2 wrote: December 11th, 2018, 11:54 am
Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 11th, 2018, 8:25 am
The Three Sisters:
Spoiler:
What Konrad2 said.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 11th, 2018, 8:25 am Secondly, my review:
I loved most of the scenarios overall and was impressed on how the remaining plot-holes were filled, compared to the original release. However, the scenarios lacked objective-variety...Like all of them were "Kill all enemy leaders"
Wesmere:
Foothills:
The Confrontation:
I would like to have more objectives variety, maybe about 1/2 the scenarios are possible candidates.
There's also some places it might make sense to have "Kill all enemy units" instead of just all leaders.
I'll think about the change for Wesmere, it's one of the places an objective change might work.
As for Confrontation, I don't have any ideas for what to do about that at the moment, other than encouraging more of a variety in the player's recruit throughout the campaign, which will be implemented in various places.
gnombat wrote: December 11th, 2018, 3:05 pm Shouldn't there be three temples on the island?
Yes, thanks for pointing this out.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Wings of Victory 0.8.3 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Post by Konrad2 »

Foothills
'if the storm increases' -> I'm not sure what this means. :/

EDIT:
The scenario might be a bit too hard on the hardest difficulty. I started with 149 gold, so I couldn't recall more than 7 units (forget about hoping for income, almost no villages on this map), while my enemies started with 250 gold each, which means a bunch of undead (some of them Ghouls) and a Giant Spider per turn for 4-5 turns. And poison hurts Drakes a loooooooot. Especially if you have almost no villages to heal and only a small number of Drakes.
Also, is it intended that higher difficulties have more time available to beat the scenario?
(I can't imagine beating this scenario with only 100 gold.)
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Wings of Victory 0.8.4 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Version 0.8.4 is up

Changes:
09 Foothills
Lowered difficulty

Replies:
Konrad2 wrote: December 13th, 2018, 12:28 pm Foothills
'if the storm increases' -> I'm not sure what this means. :/
It means I need to do a better job with the dialog/story overall in Foothills. :lol: I'll get to it at some point.
Konrad2 wrote: December 13th, 2018, 12:28 pm The scenario might be a bit too hard on the hardest difficulty. I started with 149 gold, so I couldn't recall more than 7 units (forget about hoping for income, almost no villages on this map), while my enemies started with 250 gold each, which means a bunch of undead (some of them Ghouls) and a Giant Spider per turn for 4-5 turns. And poison hurts Drakes a loooooooot. Especially if you have almost no villages to heal and only a small number of Drakes.
Also, is it intended that higher difficulties have more time available to beat the scenario?
(I can't imagine beating this scenario with only 100 gold.)
I dropped the gold amounts for now. Though part of this depends on how the previous scenario is handled. I'm leaning toward making the previous one a little easier if need be. Yeah, the longer time for the higher difficulty levels was intentional. It's something I might change.

At some point, I do want to revise the map/story/dialog a bit for Foothills.

Thanks for the feedback.

Also, if anyone would like to post replays and start of scenario saves for S07 Elensefar and later that would be helpful as well.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

There you go.
Attachments
WoV-Confrontation replay.gz
(27 KiB) Downloaded 936 times
WoV-Elensefar replay.gz
(27.48 KiB) Downloaded 927 times
WoV-Wesmere replay.gz
(31.5 KiB) Downloaded 897 times
WoV-Foothills replay.gz
(32.18 KiB) Downloaded 953 times
WoV-Fire Meets Steel replay.gz
(27.76 KiB) Downloaded 955 times
name

Post by name »

I am very glad to see a mainline drake campaign finally happening and this one hits the spot. It is all around very well put together; hard to imagine how it was lost for so many release cycles. This is what I noticed playing through 0.8.2:

The Hunt:
The Raid:
The Contention:
Islands:
The Three Sisters:
Elensefar:
Wesmere:
Foothills:
Heart Mountains + Fire Meets Steel:
Confrontation:
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

name wrote:The "scenario objectives" panel notes that "This scenario takes place during the summer." but I could not figure out how that is relevant to anything.
It means the time of day schedule has 3 day turns and 1 night turn.
name wrote:
Heart Mountains + Fire Meets Steel::
Spoiler: