Winds of Fate

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

name

Re: Winds of Fate 3.x.x (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.16)

Post by name »

Cool, it looks good!

Made a few minor corrections:
WoF Walkthrough S1 wrote:This is a large map scenario where you start with a set amount of drake units (depends on difficulty).
(currently you start with three gliders and three burners on all difficulties)
WoF Walkthrough S4 wrote:Reshan can do this effortlessly if he is a level 2 Sky Drake or higher.
(since Sky Drakes have the same mobility as Hurricane Drakes)
WoF Walkthrough S5 wrote:Recruiting and recalling units have been disabled in this scenario.

Also, regarding:
WoF Walkthrough S4 wrote:Using Fire Drakes and Drake Warriors here is recommended.
Would it be worth noting that gliders have ranged marksman, double defense on open water and high mobility even over deep water (especially if level 2 or 3)? On the other hand, gliders are weak against Krakens and only even up against Mermish Hunters.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

name wrote: January 20th, 2022, 4:11 am Cool, it looks good!

Would it be worth noting that gliders have ranged marksman, double defense on open water and high mobility even over deep water (especially if level 2 or 3)? On the other hand, gliders are weak against Krakens and only even up against Mermish Hunters.
Thank you for the corrections and revisions. Anyways, I added the Sky Drake detail in scenario 4, and also completed the walkthrough. It should be quite okay for someone playing on Normal/Challenging/Difficult.

Also, shouldn't this thread be moved to "mainline campaign development" section?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
name

Post by name »

WoF Walkthrough S7 wrote:Kill all leaders within a single turn. Deal with the rest later.
Hmm, perhaps this scenario may still have too much player starting gold? The goal was to make it so the player can only reliably assassinate two leaders in the opening attack without taking some serious losses.
WoF Walkthrough S11 wrote:For the honorable way, just let Karron walk to his keep, while occupying the 5 adjacent hexes of the keep so when he moves, he will recruit just 1 unit and then on your turn, kill that unit and place your unit to capture him.
It seems drake law still has some loopholes left to close. :hmm:
Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 20th, 2022, 8:07 pm Also, shouldn't this thread be moved to "mainline campaign development" section?
I asked about this on discord and Pentarctagon said go with a fresh start summary post that might link back here. So I just have to write it up and request the forum moderators move it to that subforum.

So many names and important details changed over the course of this thread that it might just confuse newcomers otherwise. (The first post of this thread refers to the campaign as Wings of Victory, for example.)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Hmm, perhaps this scenario may still have too much player starting gold? The goal was to make it so the player can only reliably assassinate two leaders in the opening attack without taking some serious losses.
It depends on chance actually. If you see the replays for the 1.17.0 version, you can see that I lost: 1x Fire Drake (close to levelling), 1x Blademaster (my heart broke), and 1x Drake Warrior (close to levelling). So, the losses were significant. Perhaps the greatest challenge is issued by the Woses as they pack quite a punch. Thus, I think it's fine as it is.
It seems drake law still has some loopholes left to close.
It was quite risky to actually get the units to the keep. I learnt this way of achieving the "honourable" win from Mirion147 during the 3.0.1 playthroughs. :lol: Seems still viable.
However, in the current versions, the losses incurred for this play make a bit unconventional. I did both to show that there were possible.
I asked about this on discord and Pentarctagon said go with a fresh start summary post that might link back here. So I just have to write it up and request the forum moderators move it to that subforum.

So many names and important details changed over the course of this thread that it might just confuse newcomers otherwise. (The first post of this thread refers to the campaign as Wings of Victory, for example.)
I would suggest is have a moderator edit out the first post and make if for Winds of Fate and then leave the rest as is. The number of posts here give a good measure of how much feedback this has received and how WoF has repeatedly adapted to finally earn its place as the drake-mainline campaign. The journey of transition is important to showcase. Players can then see that a lot of work went into it.

The only bug is that obligatory objectives change in Ancestor after encountering the dragon. As stated before.
Mmlh

Post by Mmlh »

I haven't seen this reported yet, but this seems like an issue, as it causes the scenario to not end. Cave Bear cannot be reached.
name

Post by name »

Damn, that's a bad one. I will definitely have to get it fixed before the next release. Thanks for reporting!
Kruggov

Post by Kruggov »

Mission 6 (Landfall), difficulty Nightmare, version 3.0.8 (on 1.16 servers). The enemy just recruited something around 15 units in one turn, even though the enemy only had 7-tile castle. Is this a bug, or is it something that just happens on Nightmare-level difficulties?

Sorry about the watermark on the screenshot.
Attachments
Hyper Recruit.png
name

Post by name »

It's not a bug, it's a feature. ;)

But truly, yeah, that is the way it is supposed to work (on all difficulty levels actually, not just Nightmare). For this scenario to play well, your opponent has to deploy almost his whole army in the first two turns.
Antro
Translator

Post by Antro »

Hi there!
I started to approach the italian translation of this new campaign and notice something worth to report

- Stymphalian: are they elders of the birds from Stymphal lake killed by Eracles ?
- Dolphin: "One of the rare air breathing fish" ... ahem... it is not a fish, it is a mammal... like whales...
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Antro wrote: April 30th, 2022, 5:16 pm - Stymphalian: are they elders of the birds from Stymphal lake killed by Eracles ?
Elders? What do you mean? They are the birds killed by Hercules.
Antro wrote: April 30th, 2022, 5:16 pm - Dolphin: "One of the rare air breathing fish" ... ahem... it is not a fish, it is a mammal... like whales...
Yeah, you're technically right, but Wesnoth is probably working with a classical era level of the sciences (or, as I believe they called it back then, "natural philosophy"), so I think it would make sense for them to (mis)classify dolphins as a type of fish.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Antro
Translator

Post by Antro »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: April 30th, 2022, 6:42 pm
Antro wrote: April 30th, 2022, 5:16 pm - Stymphalian: are they elders of the birds from Stymphal lake killed by Eracles ?
Oh... AFAIK, in the legend, Stymphal is the name of the lake, the den of Stymphalian birds... but we can use the name of the lake for the birds...
Antro wrote: April 30th, 2022, 5:16 pm - Dolphin: "One of the rare air breathing fish" ... ahem... it is not a fish, it is a mammal... like whales...
Yeah, you're technically right, but Wesnoth is probably working with a classical era level of the sciences (or, as I believe they called it back then, "natural philosophy"), so I think it would make sense for them to (mis)classify dolphins as a type of fish.
I can live with that. It is just a little bit annoying the idea that someone could take this information for granted... What about adding something that "suggest" the misclassification? Maybe dashes ( air-breathing-fish )? Or quotation marks ?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Antro wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:29 pm
Oh... AFAIK, in the legend, Stymphal is the name of the lake, the den of Stymphalian birds... but we can use the name of the lake for the birds...
Yeah, they are the Stymphalian Birds… which has apparently been shortened to just Stymphalian in this campaign, so they're called Stymphalians. It's a little strange, but I wouldn't describe it as using the name of the lake for the birds. It's something you could use for literally any creature that lived in or near the lake.

Honestly, I'd prefer if they were renamed to something that doesn't evoke real-world mythology in that way (referring to actual place or people names of myth), because if they're called "Stymphalian" then it begs the question… where is Stymphal? But that's a pretty minor issue.

Just as a random example, one fiction series I've read uses the term "Stormwing" to refer to creatures that seem inspired by the Stymphalian Birds; although in that work they also have harpy features, it could still be a fitting alternate term for Stymphalians in WoF.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Might I suggest renaming the unit to "Bladewing"? Rather straightforward but that's what this unit is...a bird that throws bladed feathers.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Well, that is also what the Stymphalian Bird is. :P

But sure, it's also a valid alternate name for the unit.
name

Post by name »

Antro wrote: April 30th, 2022, 5:16 pm I started to approach the italian translation of this new campaign and notice something worth to report
Unfortunately, I am actually working on an update for this campaign that will change a number of the strings, and I have not yet added most of the translation hints. Are you sure you want to begin translating it at this early stage? Some of your hard work may get overwritten as the campaign evolves a bit further inside the unstable master branch.

By the way, what is your impression of the campaign's writing style so far? Is it easy enough to understand what the drake characters are saying or is it overly challenging?
Antro wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:29 pm I can live with that. It is just a little bit annoying the idea that someone could take this information for granted... What about adding something that "suggest" the misclassification? Maybe dashes ( air-breathing-fish )? Or quotation marks ?
Maybe I can add something about how they are also the only fish known to produce milk. ;)
Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 1st, 2022, 12:19 am Might I suggest renaming the unit to "Bladewing"? Rather straightforward but that's what this unit is...a bird that throws bladed feathers.
Seems like an okay name, but it looks like now a redundant unit with the name "Razorbird" may be added to core. :hmm: