The Wolves' Last Path [WIP SP campaign for BfW1.14]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

skeptical_troll

Re: The Wolves' Last Path [WIP SP campaign for BfW1.14]

Post by skeptical_troll »

Against all odds, I'm back in the 21st century with an internet connection. I uploaded a new version where I hopefully fixed the textdomains for all files (but let me know if you encounter any problem).
IIIO_METAL wrote: November 9th, 2018, 3:56 am I reworked the pot of The_Wolves_Last_Path. I forgot to add textdomain to the unit file the last time I made pot.
Thanks a lot for doing this, let me know whenever you want me to upload a translation file.
IIIO_METAL wrote: October 31st, 2018, 2:00 am I found a bug in the scenario 03_ye_sleepy_dog.
I was short of money but I was able to hire a dwarf.
Indeed, I fixed that too!
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Hello skeptical_troll.
I will upload a Japanese translation file, so please accept it.
Japanese_translation_file.zip
It contains pot, po, mo.
(424.09 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
skeptical_troll

Hi IIIO_METAL,
I uploaded the new version with your .mo file, let me know if you see any problem. Most likely, the very initial big title will not be translated (for reasons I don't understand, I didn't manage to get it translated in italian in Return from the Abyss), but the rest should be ok.

I also added you in the final credits for the Japanese translation, as IIIO_METAL, if you prefer another name just tell me and I'll change that.
Again, thanks a lot for translating this, I'm sure it was quite some work! :)
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I'd like to thank you for including my translation soon and then adding credit to it.

Certainly, it is strange that the first title is not translated. I do not know the cause. But even if that part remains in English, there is no particular problem.

Translation work was definitely hard, but the story you wrote is so wonderful that translating was a fun experience. ;)
Oh yeah, I'm currently playing "Return from the Abyss" translating it to Japanese. I have gone ahead with scenes from parting with Arzeh.
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
Snarkus

Post by Snarkus »

Heya skeptical_troll,

Great campaign, just completed part 1, enjoy the effort you put into the dialogue and background text as well as the scenarios. Looking forward to part 2.

A question about the 'Trading in the North' scenario:
Spoiler:
The 4 trials scenarios were interesting. After completing the first 2, with quite a few losses (I think I did the 'village capture' first and then the 'dark vs light'), I struggled to work out a good strategy for the remaining ones. Particularly as I had let all my healer units die in those first 2 trials (I chose saurian mercenaries), given the mention of getting them back later.

The collecting orbs one was pretty hard - had to go quite negative in gold as it took a bunch of Level 3s to balance maintaining some territory and villages at the top, with punching through later to collect all the orbs. One of my level 3 trolls was very useful in the latter but then I let him get surrounded, so he ended up being an effective distraction to allow the others to destroy the middle leader and collect orbs, before dying. Similar for the mission with the changing spiral to travel - I got lucky with some coins at the start, so recruited ~6 level 3s plus my 2 main heroes. By the end was down to just one support unit plus the heroes, making copious use of the 'Power of SaveLoad' whenever guys died in lava when the terrain moved.
skeptical_troll

Hi Snarkus,
thanks for your feedback. Admittedly, I found the balancing of this campaign quite tricky given the weird mechanics I tried and the differences dependent on the choices at the tavern, so I'm glad to have some independent opinion, especially regarding those 4 trials.

To start by answering your question

Spoiler:
Snarkus wrote: March 31st, 2019, 12:30 pm The collecting orbs one was pretty hard -...
Any specific thing/enemy you found particularly tough here that you'd consider sensible to nerf?
Snarkus wrote: March 31st, 2019, 12:30 pm Similar for the mission with the changing spiral to travel - I got lucky with some coins at the start, so recruited ~6 level 3s plus my 2 main heroes. By the end was down to just one support unit plus the heroes, making copious use of the 'Power of SaveLoad' whenever guys died in lava when the terrain moved.

Also here, what was your main problem? Poison? or slow movement? Lava should be pretty easy to predict and avoid and in some occasion can be used to kill enemies too (you can bet to end on a bridge, but that's quite risky, although it 's always guaranteed that you'll find at least a bridge on a lava channel). Did you feel forced to leave units 'downstream' of lava channels or is the dynamic of the rotating spiral not so clear?

Thanks again! :)
Snarkus

Post by Snarkus »

Heya skeptical_troll,

glad the feedback was useful.

Ok, about the four trials and difficulty:

I guess if you could tune the message that pops up at the start of the trials that says you can "recall units killed during the trials afterwards" to emphasise that it is e.g. "after the completion of all the trials".

As I interpreted the message to mean you got all killed units back after each trial. If I had kept my healers (Saurian oracles) alive in the first 2 trials I played, the final 2 wouldn't have been so difficult.

But on the particular 2 harder trials:
skeptical_troll wrote: March 31st, 2019, 10:42 pm
Snarkus wrote: March 31st, 2019, 12:30 pm The collecting orbs one was pretty hard -...
Any specific thing/enemy you found particularly tough here that you'd consider sensible to nerf?
I think on medium difficulty, just limiting the rate of level 2 enemies from leaders on the left of the map maybe, or a slight income reduction for that leader? As I watched the replay of my game ... I struggled with the combo of the level 2 cockatrices and unicorns with their combo of petrification, charging and magical ranged attacks. Even with a handy chokepoint, without healers using just ~2 units to defend that I found tough.
skeptical_troll wrote: March 31st, 2019, 10:42 pm
Snarkus wrote: March 31st, 2019, 12:30 pm Similar for the mission with the changing spiral to travel - I got lucky with some coins at the start, so recruited ~6 level 3s plus my 2 main heroes. By the end was down to just one support unit plus the heroes, making copious use of the 'Power of SaveLoad' whenever guys died in lava when the terrain moved.

Also here, what was your main problem? Poison? or slow movement? Lava should be pretty easy to predict and avoid and in some occasion can be used to kill enemies too (you can bet to end on a bridge, but that's quite risky, although it 's always guaranteed that you'll find at least a bridge on a lava channel). Did you feel forced to leave units 'downstream' of lava channels or is the dynamic of the rotating spiral not so clear?
... yes I think on this one, the combo of poison, no healers or villages, combined with the flying fire guys meant it was hard to keep weakened units alive. The fire guys were very effective at finishing off my units that had copped an unlucky poison hit or a few whacks from the rock golems. The moving water was another challenge - it was sometimes hard to get units across before poisoners caught up but without getting hit by units ahead. For reference, on my winning run I got through in 61 turns.

I think just a slight increase in the potion drop rate, or reduction in the fire-guy spawn rate, would make it a bit easier. I did enjoy the challenge, the fire-guys meant you couldn't just camp and wait for potions to spawn and had to press on, but the long number of turns meant after my first couple of losses I resorted to save-scumming a few times.

Ah, the spiral pattern - no I didn't ever completely pick it! I did realise by about half-way thru that the lava headed towards my units each turn so had less fiery swims after that :) Maybe a hint for us Wesnothians that often play after a long day or school or work would help ... like a unit could say after a few turns, "this trial reminds me of that old song somehow - the Windmills of my mind", if that's not too cheesy ;)
WackoJacko

Post by WackoJacko »

Hi skeptical troll,
I'm not sure if you're monitoring this thread but I have some feedback for you (and I've come to bug you about part two as the guide says ;)

just a few spelling mistakes:
-epydemic --> epidemic
-jergon --> jargon
-Zapphires --> sapphires
-amatour --> amateur
-worm clothes --> warm clothes

You may need to look at grammar in general
-the tenses are often mixed up
-some words are pluralised when they shouldn't be and some aren't pluralised when they should be
-too many commas, don't be afraid to use a period ;)

In the introduction, Neother is talking about acquiring the guide and he says something along the lines of finding himself in a strange land and being broken, I think it should be broke (if you're talking about money). Broken would indicate he was injured.

The trade supervisor unit doesn't have a unit description.

Might just be me, but i didn't realise the tavern had multiple floors, is their anyway to indicate this?
Spoiler:
I liked all the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy references :)
skeptical_troll

Hi WackoJacko,
thanks for your feedback and for bugging me :) I do monitor this thread although at the moment I'm busy with another project.
WackoJacko wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 7:26 am -some words are pluralised when they shouldn't be and some aren't pluralised when they should be
-too many commas, don't be afraid to use a period
Missing 's's and making overtly long sentences is what I'm best at when writing in English :lol: Once I'll get back at this, I'll make sure to go through the text again with these tips in mind.
WackoJacko wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 7:26 am Might just be me, but i didn't realise the tavern had multiple floors, is their anyway to indicate this?
Never thought of this actually. Perhaps I could add a label under the staircase 'to second floor'.
Spoiler:
WackoJacko

Post by WackoJacko »

I put my solution/strategy in the spoiler below
Spoiler:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S1
My units demand upkeep. Is that intended?

cutted -> cut

S2
Amatour -> Amateur

S3
Finally some relax -> Finally some time to relax

(Troll Astronomer)
amatour -> amateur
it's a long story -> It's a long story
not exactly a captain -> Not exactly a captain
sounds like a fair -> Sounds like a fair
Good evening, stranger -> Good evening, stranger.

(Grumpy Dwarf)
no it's not. -> No it's not.
how much would -> How much would

(Saurian Seer)
as I expected -> as I expected.
I know -> I know.

(Goblin Hero)
plus expenses -> plus expenses.

(Bad Fencer)
can you please stop -> Can you please stop

S6
soon or later -> sooner or later.
jergon -> jargon
you will just -> You will just

Eternal Return
Yellow Potions
Works correctly when you pick it up. Sets your resistances to 0% the next turn. Picking up a yellow potions after that sets you resistances to 140%.

Dryfaed(?)
Taking the skirmisher upgrade lets him act as a skirmisher, but does not visibly add the skirmish ability.
Cave movement upgrade lacks an image.

Trading in the north
The chest visible on 47,20 can only be picked up by going to 47,10.
Retreating units does not work.

Replays:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TWLP-Trading in the north-Auto-Save24.gz
No retreat
(107.98 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
TWLP-Eternal Return-Auto-Save5.gz
Yellow Potion on wraith
(76.2 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
skeptical_troll

Konrad2 wrote: November 27th, 2021, 2:57 pm My units demand upkeep. Is that intended?
Yes, that was my intention. The mechanic I envisioned for the campaign (at least the publish part) is: no recall cost, yes upkeep, villages only provide upkeep and no additional resources.

Thanks for the typo/bug hunting, as always! I'm going to look into it and will be fixed in the next release. :)
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

While looking at the textdomains used by all the add-ons I have installed, I noticed this:

Code: Select all

The_Wolves_Last_Path/scenarios/13_the_northlands.cfg:#textdomain wesnoth-FIXME
The_Wolves_Last_Path/scenarios/14_leaving_the_base.cfg:#textdomain wesnoth-FIXME
The_Wolves_Last_Path/scenarios/15_tyalfags_court.cfg:#textdomain wesnoth-FIXME
The_Wolves_Last_Path/scenarios/17_the_people_republic_of_freelands.cfg:#textdomain wesnoth-FIXME
skeptical_troll

Hi! Yes, I know I'm being quite lazy with text domains (among other things). Are those causing any issue?
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

They're not causing any issue, I just spotted them while seeing what the current de-facto conventions for UMC text domains were.