A Fiery Birth-Drake Campaign (9 Scenarios) Now on 1.18

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MathBrush

Re: A Fiery Birth-Drake Campaign (9 Scenarios) Now on 1.16

Post by MathBrush »

Okay, I went and uploaded the new version with Chee's changes and the Japanese translation, as well as an extra mention in the credits (beyond the one for translation). Thanks everyone!
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
chee

Post by chee »

I am happy if I have helped in any way.
Please continue to create another great campaign in the future.
MathBrush wrote: November 13th, 2022, 9:51 pm Okay, I went and uploaded the new version with Chee's changes and the Japanese translation, as well as an extra mention in the credits (beyond the one for translation). Thanks everyone!
-------
chee / k.k
Alex_Stargazer

Post by Alex_Stargazer »

Great campaign, short and sweet. I was tired of campaigns that had 20+ scenarios. I still want to know how the dragon eggs contained drakes though, instead of dragon babies. The influence of the Saurians? An accident by the mages who were attacking the dragon?
JustNatan

Post by JustNatan »

I haven't played drakes often - even though I play Wesnoth on and off for years. So second scenario against
Spoiler:
. Somehow thought all drakes are chaotic. Got *. Good campaign.
Maybe one can consider giving additional hints regarding how to play Drakes against ... by spawning one of the more effective units at the beginning. Maybe only for lower levels.
Also the
Spoiler:
in the third scenario are a tad to aggressive. They basically throw themselves at you, dying on unfavourable spots.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Thanks for the tips!

You suggested spawning one of the more effective units at the beginning. Do you mean one of the player's units or one of the enemy's units?

I'll see if I can turn down the aggressiveness on the other scenario. I don't know when I'll make the next update, but I'll work on these changes. Thanks!
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
JustNatan

Post by JustNatan »

Hey, I referred to the player's units. As soon as he sends that unit to battle, he can see how it performs very well and then adapt his strategy.

The issue with the aggressiveness is primarily that they seem to go alone instead of holding favourable spots. I've beaten many of those scenarios by just retreating and holding back all units, waiting till they reach me in my favourable time of day.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Got as far as Tartarus but then the Lich killed all my units and I lost. (easiest level)

Well OK I gave up after I failed to do any damage to it thanks to drain. I knew where that was heading. No interest in getting to the next scenario with only my drake leader surviving (if he did) so I abandon this campaign as too hard.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Thanks for the feedback! I wonder if making the campaign easy by having less enemies made it harder to level up enough people by this level. The next time I revisit the campaign, I may need to switch the enemy to something a little less challenging for that difficulty level (like Necromancer).
egallager

Post by egallager »

MathBrush wrote: October 18th, 2023, 7:36 pm Thanks for the feedback! I wonder if making the campaign easy by having less enemies made it harder to level up enough people by this level. The next time I revisit the campaign, I may need to switch the enemy to something a little less challenging for that difficulty level (like Necromancer).
Another possible solution could be messing with the experience modifier, although that's not something I've tried doing for any of my own campaigns yet, so I dunno how effective it is...
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Well don't worry too much about it. I suck at levelling up units. I literally just kill enemies with whatever unit is convenient to do so with. Sometimes I try to pay attention to "giving" kills to units that are almost levelled up but I find that tedious and always end up going back to being lazy. Oh and also because I like to play fast. Taking the time to locate the "right" unit slows me down too much.

I hope this gives a good insight into what "easy level" players are like. : )

Still you do have a good idea there for changing easy levels to being easy from start to finish. It does make sense because us easy players really don't wanna work hard to improve our army over the course of a campaign. We're in it just for fun, not a challenge (aka work).
egallager

Post by egallager »

Atreides wrote: October 19th, 2023, 5:43 pm Well don't worry too much about it. I suck at levelling up units. I literally just kill enemies with whatever unit is convenient to do so with. Sometimes I try to pay attention to "giving" kills to units that are almost levelled up but I find that tedious and always end up going back to being lazy. Oh and also because I like to play fast. Taking the time to locate the "right" unit slows me down too much.

I hope this gives a good insight into what "easy level" players are like. : )

Still you do have a good idea there for changing easy levels to being easy from start to finish. It does make sense because us easy players really don't wanna work hard to improve our army over the course of a campaign. We're in it just for fun, not a challenge (aka work).
Ah, you play similarly to me! Good to hear there are other players ensuring campaigns are beatable (on the easiest difficulties, at least) with this particular playstyle...
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

I've updated this campaign to version 1.4 and uploaded it to the 1.18 server.

I very much enjoyed the new Saurian units; having the magic at lvl 3 is so nice for fighting people with high defense. Great job whoever added them!

I tested this on 1.18, but after I got ready to upload it I noticed that Saurian Spearthrowers can now be enabled. I've turned them on as well, but I have not tried this feature yet.

I have slightly increased the caution of one of the leaders on level 3 and I've changed easy mode so that, instead of giving less gold to enemies in the level before the 'ancient lich prison', it spawns a ton of white mages, which are pretty easy for drakes to mow down for experience.

Thanks to everyone who gave balance suggestions and to those who made this great update! I plan on updating all of my campaigns for 1.18.