The Soul's Order.

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Devotation

The Soul's Order.

Post by Devotation »

Do you want to find out which new evils come to wesnoth?
Do you want to know what this new foe can do?

Then download the Faction "The Soul's Order" on the 1.13.x addon server.

Ahem...

I created a faction which requires feedback and balancing.
You are invited to critisize, make suggestions and give feedback.

Currently I do not recommend letting an AI play the new faction unless you are very patient,

Thank you in advance.
No cost too great.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: The Soul's Order.

Post by Atreides »

Pretty interesting faction. Stunningly fragile when "unstable". I'm not sure a single unit with that trait managed to survive a battle. Might be interesting to try again and keep them in reserve. Tanks they're not.

Most effective I found was the level 0 soul construct. Good damage, low xp to level, I managed to advance a lot of them, although I had only enough income to buy them so they were numerous anyways. The healer advancement made most sense for the stable trait as it got the most hp. Unusual attack the overcharge... the more damage you do the more you take. Quite often it could one hit kill an enemy but also end up with 1 hp (can't die from the backlash damage). The other 2 advancements were also worthwhile when I decided to try them. The leader was quite good even with 15% bonus only. The Rift unit was very good as it allows porting in hordes of soul constructs as well as others.

As a faction of mages it is not a surprise that they're glass cannons. It worked well on Morituri with 3 allies but if forced to fight by themselves I wonder what will happen. We shall see.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Ported to 1.16. Fixed up a few texts to read better. Changed the eras to use a regular random instead of excluding the Soul Order as a choice. It was doing that without giving notice. It is true that the AI side is slower when leading teleporting units but I don't think it's all that bad. If you have a slow PC though you have been warned. Stick to small maps!

The faction is really interesting. It might be a bit weaker than the mainlines so that's a nice challenge. :-) I suspect though it may be just a matter of unlocking the right way to play them.

Anyways, a very cool faction with fascinating traits, abilities and really good artwork.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Just viewed a bit the faction concept and in terms of sprites it's really interesting visually.

Odd thing is that lost hope has much better ressistances than their lv2 and lv3 , which seems it was not intentional by original author.

Talking about attack types, I saw they have blade, impact, cold and arcane. Oddly it's very difficult to balance a faction againist default without pierce attack as for example loy calvary is ressistant to all units in here.

Cannot judge about faction as I only viewed at https://units.wesnoth.org/1.16/Soul_Ord ... efolk.html , but they seems to be low in HP and for some reason some units having real insane damage values. There is also a tons of special I do not know. Not sure if keeping author's original balance is viable, but this has potential for a redesign considering how well done are these sprites.

I think you should consider a at making an era out of poritng lots of abandoned old eras in wesnoth servers, it could be an interesting project :mrgreen:
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

IPS wrote: March 29th, 2023, 2:38 am Just viewed a bit the faction concept and in terms of sprites it's really interesting visually.

Odd thing is that lost hope has much better ressistances than their lv2 and lv3 , which seems it was not intentional by original author.

Talking about attack types, I saw they have blade, impact, cold and arcane. Oddly it's very difficult to balance a faction againist default without pierce attack as for example loy calvary is ressistant to all units in here.

Cannot judge about faction as I only viewed at https://units.wesnoth.org/1.16/Soul_Ord ... efolk.html , but they seems to be low in HP and for some reason some units having real insane damage values. There is also a tons of special I do not know. Not sure if keeping author's original balance is viable, but this has potential for a redesign considering how well done are these sprites.

I think you should consider a at making an era out of poritng lots of abandoned old eras in wesnoth servers, it could be an interesting project :mrgreen:
I should say that at this time I've only ported the faction to 1.16 in hopes that the author might take it up but it is looking unlikely. : (

I too like the look of the sprites, I read someone say they were "too blue" in an old post but I think it gives them an almost magical glow.

Thanks for spotting the inconsistencies, if it ends up that it's been truly abanonded I'll be sure to work on fixing them. Even the lack of pierce (which I hadn't noticed) should be fixable.

I've played them a bit and they are definitely unusual. A major factor is the 2 traits of stable/unstable virtually creating 2 versions of each base unit! Unstables are glass cannons with almost no HP and heavy damage while stables are more standard. Also the teleporting makes it vital to build and level a lot of the level 0 units which are really not expendable fodder/scouts but more like the main unit.

Hmm porting old eras and making an era out of them. Interesting idea. I think I'd call it the Neverending Era... ;-) Of course another thing I could do is find 6 old abandoned factions and combine them into a new era. It's been done before. (what hasn't been done before at this point, hehe)