A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aetheric

Re: A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by Aetheric »

Oopes. I guess I have another bug to fix...

I tend to deal with Foulmouth by sitting in the big keep having my troops gain levels until I have an unbeatable army of Rangers. It is an extremely defensible position, especially if Anea can heal. Falcons are practically helpless against Rangers; it is why Matina advises you to use them. Eventually Foulmouth is foolish enough to attack a group of high-level enemies and get... punished. I have occasionally been able to fool him into attacking and dying on turn 2 or 3, but he is rarely that stupid. Maybe I should have Matina give more advice in that battle?
-Aetheric
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

You have a huge bug.

I've just fled with Rakkon to the Earl's court, we agreed I would attack Kaltheor first but I retreated almost straight away because I had a nothing Lv. 1 army, so I joined forces to attack King Akinu with the Earl -along the way there was a scenario called ‘Princess Regent’ where I killed D'tan's troops and got -10 for reputation plus some very welcome experience. Some elves who wanted to free Mindra and a Paladin who follows a hitherto unmentioned Order joined us in the attack; eventually we killed King Akinu as well as his elvish anti-Mindra allies and a dwarf king (-20 rep). We then attacked Kaltheor and imprisoned him (no bonus for me, unlike with Bren-Jon!)… and then it was ‘Princess Regent’ again, fighting the King's cavalry again, then I have to kill the King plus an elven ally and a dwarven ally versus a new elf from Mindra's clan and a new Paladin from the Order. It might very well be cyclical.

???????

btw what are Mindra's clan doing? They say they are there to free Mindra and she's never mentioned after I defeat all the enemy leaders and storm the castle.
Aetheric

Post by Aetheric »

There are so many routes through The Earl + Kaltheor scenarios, that it is hard to get all of them working. I fixed a bunch of bugs in those story arcs, but it sounds like you found another one.

I'm working on fixing all the bugs you have reported, and I'm hoping to have a "bug fix only" release in a week or so. I won't have my next "new content" release until sometime in June because I'm in the middle of moving.
-Aetheric
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Hi Aetheric, I hope your moving house went/is going smoothly (I've been there).

So I started playing this today (after so many months!) and found another bug (I wish I could have better news :/):

I picked Bren-jon on Hard, and everything went well until I got to the ‘Mushroom Forest’ scenario.
Spoiler:
I hope it'll help if/when your life becomes normal again. :)
Aetheric

Post by Aetheric »

This bug, and many more are fixed. You are credited in the changelog with a picture of cat eyes staring menacingly at a bug.

I finally finished updating ASanguineTale for Wesnoth 1.14. There are some major artwork improvements too. I plan on having no more Wesnoth 1.12 content updates (bug fixes only); only the Wesnoth 1.14 version will have content updates. For a campaign of this size, it is not feasible to keep more than one version working at once. To see the scale, here it is against the sum total of all 1.14 mainline campaigns: 133 vs. 290 scenarios, 1/3 of the WML length, 1.8x as many images, and about 1/5 as many portraits. Though this add-on is "only 133 scenarios," most of them are not simple "kill the leaders," and some of them are really many scenarios in one (like Returning Champions and the Shadowfall Encounters). Though I am quite a fast typist, and have an excellent custom debug menu, it is still a lot for one person to code. Plus, I really like some of the new 1.14 terrains, and there is great potential for better objects in 1.14.

I'm writing a story arc just for Matina now. Naturally, being the genius she is, her story arc focuses on solving puzzles to save her pet human.
-Aetheric
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Oh, Ætheric, you're spoiling us. I've just downloaded it. Many thanks.
Aetheric

Post by Aetheric »

The Wesnoth 1.14 version of the add-on is updated with seven new scenarios and a new ending. Matina how has her own story arc where she solves puzzles to solve her human. There are a few minor bug fixes too. I've ported the bug-fixes back to the 1.12 version, but have not finished testing them yet.
-Aetheric
sergey

Post by sergey »

Aetheric, this add-on looks huge, congrats!

My 2 cents regarding comparison with the mainline campaigns.
133 vs. 290 scenarios
I played a bunch of Rakkon-line scenarios. Many of them are dialogue only or almost dialogue only. It doesn't seem correct to treat dialogue and long-play scenarios the same way.
1/3 of the WML length
Mainline campaigns provide more or less default gameplay. It allows new players to get familiar with the game. UMC campaigns, on the other hand, usually provide custom experience. It is the main reason why mainline campaigns require less WML.
1.8x as many images
A lot of images that are used by mainline campaigns are placed under the core/images folder. It allows UMC developers to reuse them.
about 1/5 as many portraits
Many UMC add-ons lacks portaits. It is very good that your add-on has portraits. But it is obvious that the quality requirements of the mainline portraits are much higher.

I don't want to underestimate the great work that you have done. But this comparison sounds to me like you are underestimating the mainline campaigns.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: A Sanguine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by Konrad2 »

For now I just want to point out that your topic name has a typo.
Sangine -> Sanguine
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

I was pretty excited to see an update to this campaign (the level of content it had before was incredible) but on the kill your father path it wouldnt load the scenario Patricide.

Nevermind it fixed itself. The add on seem to uninstall so i uninstalled it then reinstalled it and it worked fine
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

You have missed to put comma in one sentence in table of contents.

I have one question: in Heroic Oblivion path, I think there should be default schedule in scenario "Run Like The Wind", because there, at least I think, second sun still isn't raised.

Campaign is pretty good, I think secret paths are too hard to find; still, they are secret, so... I think in future you should make more paths with Mindra; it says in "Three Moons" that she is most rewarding of choices.

There should be path with direwolf too.
Last edited by EarthCake on October 20th, 2019, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpenceLack

Post by SpenceLack »

I tried it because I like story-based campaigns and making choices. I haven't played through all of it but I have enjoyed most of what I played.

At first I chose the wolf and got eaten. Then I chose the farmer and had more success.

I liked the first farmer level in which you're fleeing across the mountains with your father's army in pursuit. It was short, fit with the farmer's pacifist theme, and had an innovative use of terrain (the enemy horsemen have to take the long way around).

Alas, some of the other combat levels I didn't like so much: On the underground level with mushrooms and undead it wasn't really made clear that the mushroom leader to the southeast would mostly leave me alone, and that I should recruit everything I could and try and ford the river. So I left half my army guarding the east which proved to be a fatal mistake because it left my attack force too weak.

The mounting/dismounting wolves mechanic was neat. The good/evil mechanic was also something unique and gave meaning to your accomplishments.

I ended up becoming a griffin rider; the unit advancement choices were nice. Most of the portraits were also good, though Kaltheor with a suit and tie seemed out of place in a medieval fantasy setting. Lots of variety in recruitable units and enemies encountered was also a plus.

I ended up blundering into the Matina end-path and found the puzzles to be enjoyable and fun. The bridge puzzle had me stumped for a while.

But the last Matina level was just crazy hard. I was playing on the Easy difficulty level and still getting wiped out. There were so many enemy leaders, you couldn't get rid of them, and they directly threatened all the doors you needed to open so it was just a slaughter. Many of the loyal units that could be rescued were Lawful so of limited usefulness against Chaotic undead in the cave terrain. Eventually I just used debug mode to cheat my way through.

I'm trying another path now, just wanted to say thanks for making this!
plantpaladin

Post by plantpaladin »

Hi

I think the campaign so far seems good. I want to thank you by submitting a typo.
During Ani's Quest - Mushroom Forest: Ani says Musrhroom instead of Mushroom during the last chat box at level start.

Feedback else, I went through all Ani's Legacy with debug. Havent found any secret;(
Did the Heroic Oblivion first time(cheated because I dont like playing dark elves). Seemed like I was following the logical choice.
Was planning on reload because I went down that path by being accidently rude but turned out to be best ending.
Mushroom ending was the one I went to next time.

The frozen north felt a bit boring as holding back the ships is not really a challange with the army you are given.
Just use bats as meatshields and you will lose max one ship but still have lots left.
Repeat for each wave.

Overall a great story where there are actually repurcussions for trying to slaughter humans or dont making a choice on whom to ally.
son0fhobs

Post by son0fhobs »

I know this thread is ancient history, but holy smokes dude, the Ani's Legacy campaign is amazing! There's so much to it! Admittedly I've only played through about two storylines, but still. So many options. So many interesting characters and setups. Having units from multiple races makes things interesting, particularly a limited amount of units from various races so that you have to be strategic with them.

The whole setup with goblins mounting wolves is freaking brilliant! It really changes a few minor dynamics but I like the uniqueness and cleverness of it. I really like the scenario where you have to get the gryphon leader at the very north of the map down south. Focusing on saving as many gryphons as possible and mounting as many wolves as possible along the way makes that scenario both challenging and fun.

I love unique units and you have a bunch of them. Do you list anywhere what they are and how to level up to them? Knowing how to get them and where their max level is would have changed my gameplay a little bit. Then again, I guess you could say the minor mystery makes things interesting.

I can't imagine how much work you put into it. Thanks for all your work and giving me hours of enjoying gameplay.

Cheers!
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

I had started to played this campaign (only Ani's Quest) about 3 days ago. Now I have reached the last scenario (but there's weird thing on me) :(
Spoiler:
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)