A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Shiki
Developer

Re: A Sangine Tale (Ani's Legacy, Ani's Quest)

Post by Shiki »

Bug Report: Having this add-on installed causes Out-of-Sync-Errors in Multiplayer, because of the [advanve_from] used for the Elvish Peri.
The [advance_from] used in the unit_type of the Elvish Peri causes OOS Errors in Multiplayer, because for one person the Elf will advance to the Elvish Peri, and for another person who has not your campaign installed it will AMLA.
This affects a few more units too, e.g. the L3 Troll.
Try out the dark board theme.
Aetheric

Post by Aetheric »

sreesreearul

I will look into this. I haven't tested that order of events recently. I wasn't sure it was possible to win the fight against Kaltheor first. I've always tested it using debug mode, which may not trigger the bug for whatever reason. I'll be sure to replay that before my next release.
-Aetheric
Aetheric

Post by Aetheric »

Shiki,

Thank you for the bug report. I'll go through the [unit_type]s and disable all the ones with [advance_from] outside of campaign mode.
-Aetheric
Aetheric

Post by Aetheric »

Update on my progress.

As I mentioned numerous posts ago, I'll be releasing a major update soon-ish. I'm running about two weeks behind my intended update schedule due to having to work double time at my day job, so I'll probably have it out sometime next week. Apart from the bugs just reported by Shiki and sreesreearul, I've fixed all bugs reported so far. Also, I've completed nearly all content required for my next release, which will add twenty-three scenarios and five new endings (and probably a few bugs). I've improved some of the most tedious maps, and I've added AMLA to the Warrior Queen unit type.
-Aetheric
Aetheric

Post by Aetheric »

I decided that breaking multiplayer merits an emergency update. I just published 1.0.1 which fixes that bug. The other bugs will be fixed in my next major release, 1.1.0, in a week or so.
-Aetheric
Losthunter
Location: Well... I don´t know... maybe I should ask someone...?

Post by Losthunter »

Nice campaing! Really like making decisions (sometimes it's really tricky) and portraits are in incredible high quality. :D
I have one silly qestion - is dying in fight against half-dryad godess (her wolf in fact) one of mentioned 12 endings? Or is there some way to defeat her?
I'll deffinitely play this campaing again (and again...).
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

Losthunter wrote: March 22nd, 2018, 6:47 pm Nice campaing! Really like making decisions (sometimes it's really tricky) and portraits are in incredible high quality. :D
I have one silly qestion - is dying in fight against half-dryad godess (her wolf in fact) one of mentioned 12 endings? Or is there some way to defeat her?
I'll deffinitely play this campaing again (and again...).
Spoiler:
ericthecmh

Post by ericthecmh »

Thanks for building this man. I can't wait to play through this, just getting started.
Aetheric

Post by Aetheric »

There are no points in Ani's Legacy or Ani's Quest where letting Nemeraphene die leads to victory.

I don't think I implemented any code to handle Anea killing Nemeraphene in battle. One-on-one, Anea stands no chance. With Dreus backed by Nemeraphene's phenomenal buffing abilities, the changes are astronomically low.

Anyway, I just added 26 scenarios, five new endings, a new secret battle, and two new units.
-Aetheric
Aetheric

Post by Aetheric »

Someone mentioned I may have a new planned campaign. That is the Apocalesus campaign, which tells the story of Nemeraphene's time war against Apocalesus. I actually already 90% completed it as a linear campaign, but that seems boring for a time war. Such a campaign really should have a storyline that is a strongly connected digraph. That is, because there is no causality, performing an action in the campaign should be able to move the game state back to where it was before. In other words, there may be cycles in the storyline. A simple example of this is a time loop. The player has to find their way out of the loop, or perhaps they entered the loop intentionally to get more than one copy of a "unique" artefact.

I'm sure you can imagine how it would be very complicated to design a storyline for such a game, so I decided to do two simpler campaigns as practice. Ani's Quest is an (almost) linear storyline. That is, the story starts from some point and every decision you make takes you towards one destination. Ani's Legacy is (almost) a tree: there is one starting point, and many possible destinations, but every decision brings you closer to a destination. It deviates from this slightly because there are many routes to the Vampire story arc. However, there is no way to perform an action that leads you back to an earlier point in the storyline.

I have about 40-60 more scenarios to make for Ani's Legacy and twenty-ish portraits. Once that is all done, I'll begin work on the Apocalesus campaign. A lot of content will be stolen from Ani's Legacy/Ani's Quest. For example, the Xenoi were made for the Apocalesus campaign. In the Apocalesus campaign you have to fight regular units as high as level 7, so you need a faction that can be powerful enough to take on multiple such beasts at the same time. The Xenoi are designed to have powerful unit combinations that can take down stronger opponents quickly. (Only about two thirds of the Xenoi units are done though.) There's a ton of WML macros created for Apocalesus such as the world map, sandstorm, map melting, quest logic, and conversation logic. Regardless, it will probably take the rest of this year to finish Ani's Legacy and at least a year to make the Apocalesus campaign.
-Aetheric
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Amazing campaign, I don't think i've ever seen a campaign with this much effort put into the story and writing.

How do I reach the silver brat guy and the rat mage scenario? Im really confused. If you reject the orcs in Freedom is there anyway of continuing the game or are you doomed? How important are the secret battles? Do you need them to get any of the endings?
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Hi! I made the mistake of posting in the other thread earlier. *blushes*

I love the campaign so far!

So, transplanted comments from when I went off the evilest deep end with Mindra and scored -295 in Orcs Forever and then +295 in Heroic Oblivion:
Spoiler:
I've just found that in both Diggin Midgits and Dwarvish Steel there's two tentacles of the deep starting inside wall hexes (at 3,8 and 13,2).

The only prisoner's path I've exhausted is the dire wolf.
So… I have to do the Earl's quests next and try to find my way to the Empress of Flame ending. (I suppose I'll have to kill Dameos? Don't spoil it!)
Aetheric

Post by Aetheric »

WanderingHero wrote: May 1st, 2018, 10:35 pm Amazing campaign, I don't think i've ever seen a campaign with this much effort put into the story and writing.

How do I reach the silver brat guy and the rat mage scenario? Im really confused. If you reject the orcs in Freedom is there anyway of continuing the game or are you doomed? How important are the secret battles? Do you need them to get any of the endings?
If you do not go with the outlaws or orcs in that scenario, you are stuck. I haven't decided if I want to add another story arc at that point, or just let Anea remain "free" until the turn limit and her death. I could add a powerful sandstorm or other event that kills her at the end of turns.

If you reject the Orcs, you can follow the outlaws instead. They give you that option and a signpost shows up near some disgruntled ogres. That route will lead you to the arena, which I find extremely addictive.
Sadaharu wrote: May 1st, 2018, 11:57 pm
So… I have to do the Earl's quests next and try to find my way to the Empress of Flame ending. (I suppose I'll have to kill Dameos? Don't spoil it!)
The Empress of Flame is perhaps the hardest ending to reach. It takes a lot of work and you have to win two hard battles. With some work though, you can have a near-godesslike army and an overpowered cat.
WanderingHero wrote: May 1st, 2018, 10:35 pm How important are the secret battles? Do you need them to get any of the endings?
The secret battles are not necessary for anything; they are just there for an extra challenge. They are intended to be like "superbosses" such as the Emerald Weapon in Final Fantasy 7. You do gain great benefit from them though; they give you a lot of experience and potentially some new units.
Last edited by Bitron on May 4th, 2018, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: triple posting
-Aetheric
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Aetheric, please avoid posting several times in a row, when you easily can have it in one post. (Posting Guidelines 1d)
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Aetheric wrote: May 4th, 2018, 11:08 pm
Sadaharu wrote: May 1st, 2018, 11:57 pmSo… I have to do the Earl's quests next and try to find my way to the Empress of Flame ending. (I suppose I'll have to kill Dameos? Don't spoil it!)
The Empress of Flame is perhaps the hardest ending to reach. It takes a lot of work and you have to win two hard battles. With some work though, you can have a near-godesslike army and an overpowered cat.
There's no such thing as too much power for a cat.

Along my quest to find that ending I've replayed Freedom and discovered that I can first make enemies out of the two house-robbers and then accept to join their guild if I reject the chance to help the orcs. So some more thugs come to my rescue while I battle the orcs and the undead and the robbers.

Now I'm trying to get the brat to stop attacking me only when he can win and I cannot.