Edwylm's sprite alterations

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
tribes55

Re: Edwylm's sprite alterations

Post by tribes55 »

Perhaps for the sergeant, make parts of the crossbow appear as wood to further signify that he's not as well equipped. Maybe for each class, the helmet ploof (I don't know the name :whistle: ) could change a bit. You do this towards the end, but maybe earlier irritations could see this too.
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Wow. Looks great so far. I love it!!! The animations look great! Did you make these from scratch yourself?

And Tribes55, it is not a "ploof", it's a "plume". But yeah, in general, I am with you there.
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

I think from Lieutenant onwards should have full helm, entirely covering his head as the old sprites had, like his portrait has one.
Edwylm

Re: Edwylm's sprite alterations/new loyalist sprites?

Post by Edwylm »

Eagle_11 wrote: September 18th, 2018, 8:13 pm I think from Lieutenant onwards should have full helm, entirely covering his head as the old sprites had, like his portrait has one.
new_general.png
new_general.png (56.05 KiB) Viewed 8977 times
I can see your point. Personally I like their faces not covered while not in combat however be interesting for idle animation or having the face covered when fighting. But lets see how this looks.

ResExsention wrote: September 18th, 2018, 7:29 pm Did you make these from scratch yourself?
No in the link name " Status of Loyalist Baseframe" you will find that I am using the base of the artist's images.

tribes55 wrote: September 18th, 2018, 6:56 pm Perhaps for the sergeant, make parts of the crossbow appear as wood to further signify that he's not as well equipped.
sergeant+animations.png
sergeant+animations.png (18.24 KiB) Viewed 8977 times
There you go. I also made it look like it fires a bolt and reloading a bolt too ;). The Lt. I think will keep a wooden bolt then onward would be a metal bolt. The plumes for the line are on the last row on the "new_general".
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Wow. Really interesting. Might be nice to see what you come up with. I really like the Grand Marshal the best. It all fits together perfectly.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

While I do the range attack on the major, general, and Grand Marshal. I have decided to start working on the animation of the heavy crossbowman. I forgot where it is from and who created it. But I'll try to add some animations for it.
Heavy_crossbowmen.png
Heavy_crossbowmen.png (9.26 KiB) Viewed 8871 times
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

I did some edits to the general_line. Gave major unit a golden trim shield. The helmet visor increased in height for all besides the Grand Marshal. Any more suggestions on the base sprites?
new_general.png
new_general.png (35.45 KiB) Viewed 8809 times
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Wow. Looks really nice. I like the heavy crossbowman. All I may say is that maybe it is carrying a little too much for a crossbowman?

For the General line, I think it looks great. I have nothing more to say. Might be interesting if you made animations, though.

Thanks for making these. You are extremely talented at sprite alteration. :D

Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

ResExsention wrote: September 28th, 2018, 11:25 pm Wow. Looks really nice. I like the heavy crossbowman. All I may say is that maybe it is carrying a little too much for a crossbowman?
Well the original creator probably knows crossbowman used Pavise in battles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavise. I would think the sprite maker used that as inspiration when he made it.
For the General line, I think it looks great. I have nothing more to say. Might be interesting if you made animations, though.
I do have their range attacks done. it just the basic same animation style. However I have some leading animations and defending animations that I need to finish. The melee will take some experimenting. Currently I am working on the bowman line's range attack.
ghype

Post by ghype »

so much happen this summer in this thread.

I see a lot of good work. your dedication pays off.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Just to just to note I am moving the works that would touch mainline sprites to my topic in the art contribution section.

and yes ghype a lot has happened and more to come. like to help ;)
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Alright now I have been working on the heavy crossbow range attack. This is what I have so far.
Heavy_crossbowmen.png
Heavy_crossbowmen.png (8.77 KiB) Viewed 8560 times
The last sprite I had to change the crossbow. The idea was to have the lad take cover behind the shield for range attacks along with taking more of a crouching action to load the crossbow. I need some opinions on how the crossbow looks.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

infantryman and a crossbow line.
infantryman.png
infantryman.png (3.68 KiB) Viewed 8506 times
crossbow_line.png
crossbow_line.png (10.96 KiB) Viewed 8506 times
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Nice. For the infantryman, it looks great, but I must say that the sword looks more of a broad dagger than anything. I really like your crossbow units. The sword might need to be shortened, but it looks great both ways. Still, I am quite impressed. I'm going to take a look in your art contributions post now. It seems like you really enjoy what you're doing.

Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Its been a while since I have posted in here. after taking a while away from wesnoth I have started to work on sprite altering and more wesnoth stuff.

There are several sprite projects I am wanted to work on. First I have been working on the altering of the salamander sprites that inferno8 has made and the already altered sprites of them. I am not sure how I feel of the new alterations but here they are. Note I am still working on many of them and would like some suggestions on how to make them better. the right of the line are old sprites the left side are the current/new sprites.
salamanders updated.png
Now noticeable changes;
white/ice: removed the blades and giving it more of a magic orientated feel. the arms and hands feel odd so will fix them if need.
red/fire: red is inferno8's, the fire I have just added yellow, will change the fire just not sure what else the change.
black/dark: black is inferno8's, dark I changed the color blacker and the red brighter, in addition I bright over the spines from the original dark and added spines to the back.
green/forest: nothing has changed.
blue/water: nothing has changed.
yellow/desert: not sure what to alter besides making it brighter and might add horns.
brown/ground: noticeable change making it more like a brute in fist fighting. need to change the feet/legs. the ground I was hoping to create a rocky scale on the head so i gave some options of what I was thinking.