Edwylm's sprite alterations

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ResExsention

Re: Edwylm's sprite alterations

Post by ResExsention »

I like the first overgrowth wose. Is it a level 0 that advances to most of the woses you make? Your art is getting really diverse. Nice! As for your vine covered wose, it looks great so far! I think it should split from the chaparral wose line; and in your era, you might also want to give it like a tangle weapon special; do you have the animations for the vine wose? And yes, the scaling is great.

:D
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

I was thinking that the overgrowth wose would be a level 1 and the chaparral wose be a level 2 or I make another wose after the briar wose and make the overgrowth wose the level 0. As for animations for the vine wose. I still have to add team color indicators and the vine color before I can work on the animations.

"you might also want to give it like a tangle weapon special"
what kind of affects would you suggest on that ability? Unless you mean giving them the slow special.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

I Think it is near the end of the base work for the Wose sprites So far. There might be more in the future but this is what I have. These are the level lines. I didn't include the vampire wose line.
entagled_wose_line.png
entagled_wose_line.png (39.6 KiB) Viewed 9527 times
mangrove_wose_line.png
mangrove_wose_line.png (23.36 KiB) Viewed 9527 times
dark_wose_line.png
dark_wose_line.png (29.98 KiB) Viewed 9527 times
Last edited by Edwylm on September 1st, 2018, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

thorn_wose_line.png
thorn_wose_line.png (27.25 KiB) Viewed 9527 times
Hardwood_wose_line.png
Hardwood_wose_line.png (24.62 KiB) Viewed 9527 times
pine_wose_line.png
pine_wose_line.png (27.3 KiB) Viewed 9527 times
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Looks quite cute. They become a bit less defined when they fatten up, I mean, when they get more wood. Like the smaller ones
look at bit humanoid, the larger ones look at bit more like trees (excluding the top thorn wose). I am not saying which
one I prefer, mind you. One can reason either way. Looking more like a tree makes it easier to hide among other
trees. :)

I think, unrelated from this, my biggest problem with the woses is that they are really really slow. Would be nice if they
could get movement +1 if the last two tiles would be forest tiles (e. g. get one more movement point if the tile
the wose is on, and the tile the wose wants to go to, are forest tiles, as opposed to the current movement rate;
so in effect, get +1 movement if walking on forest tiles alone).
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

shevegen wrote: September 1st, 2018, 10:33 pm Looks quite cute. They become a bit less defined when they fatten up, I mean, when they get more wood. Like the smaller ones
look at bit humanoid, the larger ones look at bit more like trees (excluding the top thorn wose). I am not saying which
one I prefer, mind you. One can reason either way. Looking more like a tree makes it easier to hide among other
trees. :)
Well with that stated one could state it is the lore of the wose as it is stated that wose are not trees and close to faerie than elves. As with the torn wose line. Well when you have large thorns coming out of your arms and you need your branches to not be a hindrance. It is bit hard to stay with the follow with the others. Unless you have some suggestions to help with them looking more tree-ish I love to hear it :)
shevegen wrote: September 1st, 2018, 10:33 pm I think, unrelated from this, my biggest problem with the woses is that they are really really slow. Would be nice if they
could get movement +1 if the last two tiles would be forest tiles (e. g. get one more movement point if the tile
the wose is on, and the tile the wose wants to go to, are forest tiles, as opposed to the current movement rate;
so in effect, get +1 movement if walking on forest tiles alone).
Well I could try this within my add-on which I do plan on adding these Woses. However, I don't know how that would work code wise along with not having much time right now with working on other sprites and ideas for my add-on.

Speaking of which my next Faction/Sprite work will be that of Ogres. Any suggestions from anyone on weapons and general outlook of Ogre sprites would be appreciated. :)
Edwylm

Edwylm's sprite alterations/new loyalist sprites?

Post by Edwylm »

Well ok I haven't really started working on the Ogre sprites yet. However, I have started working on the prewesnoth and wesnoth factions. While researching on seeing loyalist sprites both old and new. These Sprites are based off of Loyalist and Status of Loyalist Baseframe Along with some aspects from The Rashy Era.
Slight changes to each sprite. The 2nd and 3rd sprites the helm is smaller so the 3rd sprite is 1 pixel smaller.
Slight changes to each sprite. The 2nd and 3rd sprites the helm is smaller so the 3rd sprite is 1 pixel smaller.
new_spearman.png (9.39 KiB) Viewed 9281 times
Just a line adding in a 5th unit which would be call Major.
Just a line adding in a 5th unit which would be call Major.
new_general.png (37.25 KiB) Viewed 9281 times
The middle unit is the new major unit.
Current on top new on bottom.
Current on top new on bottom.
new_bowmen.png (21.19 KiB) Viewed 9281 times
The bowman is a bit weird I do have to say. I tried doing a leather cap with chain-mail but didn't look that great.
Last edited by Edwylm on September 15th, 2018, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Why would a major rank above a grand marshal, or a general. It's a relatively low rank.
Edwylm

Re: Edwylm's sprite alterations/new loyalist sprites?

Post by Edwylm »

Well I didn't state that it be the 5th one. I was merely pointing out why there was 5 but I'll edit it to point out which one it is.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

I really like these loyalists sprites! Do they have animations?
I like them all except for the tier one bowman alteration. It just doesn't look nearly as polished as the others, and the helmet doesn't seem separate from the rest of his armor.

Do you think you could possibly make a crossbowman sprite with this theme?
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Well this one should look better.
bowman.png
bowman.png (3.64 KiB) Viewed 9221 times
As with animations goes. With the spearman, the current spearman animations should work I know the north animations is as clean as my edited sprite. The other 2 lines I don't have the entire animation sprites for their range attacks. I'm basically trying to fit the current sprite animation for the new ones.
Do you think you could possibly make a crossbowman sprite with this theme?
Yeah it shouldn't be that hard. Have your pick on the stance, color or other descriptions for the main sprite.
crossbowmen.png
crossbowmen.png (9.93 KiB) Viewed 9221 times
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

I really like what you did there with the Crossbowmen! Big fan.
I think the first of the three could be used as the rangedattack animation and the final the idle animation. What was the one in the middle intended for? I may have misinterpreted them.

I think this is really good. Do you think a version where the sword is less prominent could be made without much trouble? I have always found sprites which hold two weapons (with the exception of the fencer line) to look pretty obnoxious. Perhaps it could be sheathed? If not, it still looks great!
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Just for you Tribes55 ;)
crossbowman+animations.png
crossbowman+animations.png (20.3 KiB) Viewed 9164 times
crossbowman+animations3.gif
crossbowman+animations3.gif (5.76 KiB) Viewed 9158 times
"What was the one in the middle intended for? I may have misinterpreted them." They were just options for the base sprite however the middle sprite I can use as part of a defense animation.

The crossbowman animations might be transferred to the General line.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Wow! This is excellent! Great work man!
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Thanks!!! And with this I am considering contributing the new images to the Art Contribution thread. But I will work in here still so I'm not jumping around.
sergeant+animations.png
sergeant+animations.png (18.19 KiB) Viewed 9103 times
lieutenant+animations.png
lieutenant+animations.png (19.71 KiB) Viewed 9103 times
I added the shield the the range attack. The lieutenant's shield might need an increase in size.