A Random RPG Adventure

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PapaSmurfReloaded

A Random RPG Adventure

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

ARRPGA is an add-on with two modes of gameplay.
The first gameplay mode is a single RPG scenario, known Classic (AI DM), which pits a party of heroes controlled by a maximium of 4 players against an AI-controlled Dungeon Master who plays enemies and NPCs. This mode of gameplay features premade quests, random battles, random events, professions and an alignment system.
In the second mode of gameplay (Human DM), a party of heroes is pit against another player who takes on the role of the Dungeon Master (DM). They count with a variety of tools which allows them to create challenges the adventurers have to face, narrate the story and more.
It is possible to play custom maps using the Human DM mode. The instructions to do so come included within the add-on files.

ARRPGA Replay videos
Attachments
arrpga1.png
arrpga2.png
arrpga3.png
arrpga4.png
arrpga5.png
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on August 21st, 2018, 12:49 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Yomar

Re: A Random RPG Adventure (beta)

Post by Yomar »

Cool, I will try it out as soon I will have some free time.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
PapaSmurfReloaded

An update.

Well as some of you may have or may not have noticed the game has been advancing the last days.
Professions are slowly being introduced, and towns have been properly named. Haven't worked further in alignment or quests for the time being.

Another game mode has been added.
The game takes place on the same map as well, but instead, a human player takes on the role of the Dungeon Master.
If anybody familiar with D&D may be familiar with this character, it's who weaves the storyline and presents the party with challenges.

That mode currently is working, the only thing I'd like to mention is that currently the DM can only spawn level 1 humans, elves, dwarves and wolves.
It will take me some time to add the rest default era monsters.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Checked the add-on out. You did a nice job! :) It looks promising, even as a beta. Here are my feedback/ideas (I hope this helps):
-towns generally feel the same, to be honest. One of ideas to fix this, is to make some quests specific to certain town. Also, since I proposed some new items (below), you could make some of them exculsive to certain towns' shops.
-on a similar note, I think items feel rather extremely lacking in variety (only heal/antidote potions, and soulstone). Here are some ideas for items (feel free to do what you want, I am just posting ideas):
-fury potion: increases damage by 50%, but only for one turn (and only when attacking, not retaliating). This can be done by putting 'duration=turn' inside the [object] tag
-haste potion: when used, restores all of the unit's moves (can be done by storing the unit the item is used on, putting

Code: Select all

{VARIABLE insert_variable_name_here.moves $insert_variable_name_here.max_moves}
, and unstoring the unit)
-<insert name, since I haven't come up with one> potion: allows the unit to attack again on the same turn (works like the potion idea above, but with

{VARIABLE_OP insert_variable_name_here.attacks_left add 1}
-invisibility potion: adds the 'hidden' effect (it'll wear off automatically once the unit move next to an enemy. no need to do anything here, other than giving the unit the effect)
back to misc. ideas:
-It would be nice if you added items on the ground (like in most RPGs), and made the dungeonmaster able to place these items on the ground, instead of just putting them into player inventories (I am not saying that the ability to directly affect the inventories of players should be removed, though). You can borrow the code from the items.cfg file in the data/core/macros folder.
-dungeonmaster menu option idea: change terrain on the selected hex (at least creating walls, and some basic terrain. I won't ask you to put ALL terrain :whistle: )
-dungeonmaster menu option idea: curse (apply one of the following effects onto the target unit (choosable): slowed,poisoned,unhealable,petrified), and an option to remove all of these effects at once from the selected unit.
-dungeonmaster menu option idea: make the selected unit have the 'hidden effect'
PapaSmurfReloaded

ForestDragon wrote:Checked the add-on out. You did a nice job! :) It looks promising, even as a beta. Here are my feedback/ideas (I hope this helps):
-towns generally feel the same, to be honest. One of ideas to fix this, is to make some quests specific to certain town. Also, since I proposed some new items (below), you could make some of them exculsive to certain towns' shops.
-on a similar note, I think items feel rather extremely lacking in variety (only heal/antidote potions, and soulstone). Here are some ideas for items (feel free to do what you want, I am just posting ideas):
-fury potion: increases damage by 50%, but only for one turn (and only when attacking, not retaliating). This can be done by putting 'duration=turn' inside the [object] tag
-haste potion: when used, restores all of the unit's moves (can be done by storing the unit the item is used on, putting

{VARIABLE insert_variable_name_here.moves $insert_variable_name_here.max_moves}
, and unstoring the unit)
-<insert name, since I haven't come up with one> potion: allows the unit to attack again on the same turn (works like the potion idea above, but with

{VARIABLE_OP insert_variable_name_here.attacks_left add 1}
-invisibility potion: adds the 'hidden' effect (it'll wear off automatically once the unit move next to an enemy. no need to do anything here, other than giving the unit the effect)
back to misc. ideas:
-It would be nice if you added items on the ground (like in most RPGs), and made the dungeonmaster able to place these items on the ground, instead of just putting them into player inventories (I am not saying that the ability to directly affect the inventories of players should be removed, though). You can borrow the code from the items.cfg file in the data/core/macros folder.
-dungeonmaster menu option idea: change terrain on the selected hex (at least creating walls, and some basic terrain. I won't ask you to put ALL terrain :whistle: )
-dungeonmaster menu option idea: curse (apply one of the following effects onto the target unit (choosable): slowed,poisoned,unhealable,petrified), and an option to remove all of these effects at once from the selected unit.
-dungeonmaster menu option idea: make the selected unit have the 'hidden effect'
Those ideas of pots are pretty nice. I'll implement them eventually.
I know the game is short of items atm but I have spent most of time writing core stuff to get the game running.
I understand that towns may be pretty much the same but for the time being, I don't think I'll be changing that.

As for the DM commands, I must say I like the idea of making them apply effects and hiding on units (edit: added status), it could give interest twists to the game, but not so much changing terrains.

Anyway I came here to announce that Dungeon Master menu is fully complete and it can create any unit of the default era.
Now its up to players imagination to create adventures. :)
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on July 5th, 2017, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:I understand that towns may be pretty much the same but for the time being, I don't think I'll be changing that.
Well, you'll have more time to work on minor things like this once this addon reaches a more complete stage.
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:As for the DM commands, I must say I like the idea of making them apply effects and hiding on units (edit: added status), it could give interest twists to the game, but not so much changing terrains.
To be honest, I am not in favor of terrain changing either (I was just milking my brain for ideas during that moment :P ). As an add-on creator, I know that things like that require insane amount of work to make good, otherwise they looks either mega cluttered, or too bare-bones.
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:Anyway I came here to announce that Dungeon Master menu is fully complete and create any unit of the default era.
Now its up to players imagination to create adventures. :)
Nice! Anyway, here are even more DM option ideas:
-an add-on named ''Speak Mod' allows players to select units, and make them talk (custom [message]s). You can add that feature (just copy-pasted a simple bit of code from it) as a part of the DM menu, beside the narration option (while having a similar mechanical function, they serve quite different purposes (for example, when placing bandits, the DM can make one of them say things like 'Gotcha!' and 'Gimme all yer money if ya wanna live!'))
-option to toggle shroud/fog for players, and clearing some parts of the shroud (like quests do).
-option to change stats of the selected unit (using object), Basically current hp,max hp,mp,damage,strikes,adding abilities/weapon specials,changing resistances/defenses/mp cost, etc. (allows for making boss fights, or just messing around)
-bugreport:when choosing the change Time of Day option, the 'speaker' in the [message] tag with the ToD options is the side 1 leader (it would be better if it was the dungeonmaster. or just 'narrator')
-bugreport: You forgot to add the 'hidden' status (it technically is a status, so there is no non-technical reason not to put it in the 'modify status' menu)
misc. ideas:
-a bit of a bugreport: make soulstones only activate when leaders die (as a DM, I spawned some units for players sides, and when these units died, the soulstone event appeared)
-maybe add an option to hire units in taverns (who cost more than their recruiting prices (maybe either 1.5 or 2 times as much), since the add-on is an RPG, and maybe are loyal (don't require upkeep))
-I think 'entertain the crowd' option in taverns is a bit too good in my opinion (I might not be correct, though). I suggest making it only usable a certain amount of times per turn (probably either once, twice, or three times)
PapaSmurfReloaded

ForestDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
Entertain should be able to be used only once per side turn. If it isn't, its a bug. Currently there are other bugs I've noticed, such as not being able to set up camps and DM not being able to recruit drakes. I'll fix them next release.
The soulstone thing you mention actually is meant to work like that, not just with leaders.
I've thought about being able to hire mercenaries or pets, but in the end the DM can make that happen if so he desires.
Same about adding player the ability to narrate actions, they could at some point. Might add it again, I'll see next week.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:Entertain should be able to be used only once per side turn. If it isn't, its a bug. Currently there are other bugs I've noticed, such as not being able to set up camps and DM not being able to recruit drakes. I'll fix them next release.
Understood.
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:The soulstone thing you mention actually is meant to work like that, not just with leaders.
Oh, right.
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:I've thought about being able to hire mercenaries or pets, but in the end the DM can make that happen if so he desires.
Well, that isn't the case when the DM is an AI.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Fixed a few bugs: Typos. campsite, fishing, added a monster list for the DM, and now player can narrate actions once again.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Worked a little bit more on professions and the inventory.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

bugreport: resurrecting heroes using soulstones results in them losing their hero overlays. Also, please you make the 'rest points' actually shown.

also, in the 'grab unit' option, you should remove the [kill]/[unit] parts, and just add 'kill=yes' to the [store_unit tag], and replacing the [unit] tag in the drop option with [unstore_unit] (since currently, trying to grab the dungeonmaster results in defeat, and grabbing/dropping hero units results in them losing their hero icons)
PapaSmurfReloaded

Added a few more alchemy and blacksmith uses, among other minor stuff.
ForestDragon wrote:Also, please you make the 'rest points' actually shown.
What do you mean?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:What do you mean?
Oh, sorry, I forgot about the 'party status' option when posting :oops:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Played again after the new updates. Some feedback/ideas:
-idea: make it, so that when the party's rest points go extremely low, the units get slowed.
-idea: make enemy unit (when DM is an ai) avoid villages (just put village_value=0.0 in the [side] tag)
-idea: in the blacksmith menu, you should rename '+1 attack' to '+1 damage' to prevent confusion (some players would think the option increases the amount of strikes by 1)
-idea: add an 'abort quest' option.
-it would be nice if the was a 'party strength' value, which changed based on the number of party members, and their levels. Depending on how strong the party is, in random encounters, extra enemies will spawn, and some enemies are replaced by their advancements.
-idea: I think the gold has too few uses at the moment. I suggest making the shop sell the 'mix of herbs' item (for maybe 10 or 12 gold or so)
-bugreport: I noticed that the 'set up campsite' option doesn't appear even if it's criteria are met.
-bugreport: after brewing the potion of titans, it doesn't appear in the inventory (it's because the alchemy option adds 1 to the 'strengthpotion' variable, instead of 'infernopotion')
-bugreport: an image on the hex 94,54 shows as 'image not found'. it's caused by the fact that you accidentally put ' 94' before '~RC(magenta>white)' (same story with the 4,90 hex)

{PLACE_IMAGE "units/human-loyalists/siegetrooper.png 94~RC(magenta>white)" 94 54}
-spelling issue: when selecting the 'quests' option in the tavern while being on a quest, it says 'you are already in a quest.', while it should be 'you are already on a quest.'
PapaSmurfReloaded

ForestDragon wrote:Played again after the new updates. Some feedback/ideas:.
-idea: make enemy unit (when DM is an ai) avoid villages (just put village_value=0.0 in the [side] tag)
-idea: in the blacksmith menu, you should rename '+1 attack' to '+1 damage' to prevent confusion (some players would think the option increases the amount of strikes by 1)
-bugreport: I noticed that the 'set up campsite' option doesn't appear even if it's criteria are met.
-bugreport: after brewing the potion of titans, it doesn't appear in the inventory (it's because the alchemy option adds 1 to the 'strengthpotion' variable, instead of 'infernopotion')
-bugreport: an image on the hex 94,54 shows as 'image not found'. it's caused by the fact that you accidentally put ' 94' before '~RC(magenta>white)' (same story with the 4,90 hex)

{PLACE_IMAGE "units/human-loyalists/siegetrooper.png 94~RC(magenta>white)" 94 54}
-spelling issue: when selecting the 'quests' option in the tavern while being on a quest, it says 'you are already in a quest.', while it should be 'you are already on a quest.'
Addressed those issues.