Witch Campaign: Mountain Witch

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Witch Campaign: Mountain Witch

Post by Konrad2 »

Anns magic missle attack has no sound.

Mermaid Passion
When freeing the Mermaid, the 'visible' part of the event is removed, but the event can fire again by moving a unit on the relevant hex (6,4).
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

IIIO_METAL wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 8:08 amMr. Sadaharu, you are an English teacher! It's just a coincidence, but the name of the president of the company I used to work for is Sadaharu.
That aside, I appreciate your offer. It's not right now, but if it's time to fix the text, I'll consult with you. Thank you!
I never answered this earlier because I stayed away from the Wesnoth game and the Wesnoth forums during lockdown.

My name is taken from the Kin Gintama anime (as seen in my avatar). Maybe your former boss is related to the anime. Or not. Who knows?

I feel like playing this particular campaign again.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I fixed a bug that Konrad2 found. If I hadn't overlooked something, I think the problem was gone.
Thank you Konrad2.

Welcome back Sadaharu.
Sadaharu is a fairly common name, so there are many Japanese people with that name. And by chance my ex-boss was also that name. It wasn't such an interesting topic.

I would be happy if you could play the campaign and let us know what you think. See ya!
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

> Sadaharu is a fairly common name, so there are many Japanese people with that name. And by chance my ex-boss was
> also that name. It wasn't such an interesting topic.

I would not rule that out - japanese people can be very exotic to us. :)

I use ruby since almost 20 years; and watched tons of ninja/samurai stuff; and I know a tiny bit about anime too. Japan and the Japanese are still quite exotic though.

Good to see you are still maintaining the campaign! I always liked that the idea was kind of unique/special, e. g. to use dance-driven magic. At some point in time I will try it again; last time I had a problem with one scenario so perhaps trying it again at a later time may be easier for me.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

IIIO_METAL wrote: November 12th, 2021, 11:33 amWelcome back Sadaharu.
Sadaharu is a fairly common name, so there are many Japanese people with that name. And by chance my ex-boss was also that name. It wasn't such an interesting topic.

I would be happy if you could play the campaign and let us know what you think. See ya!
I actually did play the campaign three years ago:
Sadaharu wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 3:05 am :-D

I have finished playing the campaign.

Congratulations, IIIO_METAL! It is a good campaign. The characters are varied and interesting, the new gameplay and summoning units with the witch and the elf are strange but work, and the opponents provide a worthy fight.

Also the individual portraits for the characters are beautiful.

The only point against it is that once or twice the instructions in English were unclear (I can help if you like) and so sometimes I had to replay some scenarios until I found out what I was supposed to do.

I definitely recommend it.
But you are right, I still should (re-)play the campaign. Is it available on Wesnoth 1.16 or should I replay it on 1.14?

:)
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Hello shevegen.
I'm glad you enjoyed my add-on.

> last time I had a problem with one scenario
What was the problem? If it's an add-on bug, I need to fix it.

Hi Sadaharu.
> Wesnoth 1.16 or should I replay it on 1.14?
The latest version is for Wesnoth 1.16. If I didn't overlook the important changes in Wesnoth 1.16, I should be able to play without problems, but I often make mistakes ...
Mathemagician

Post by Mathemagician »

I've run into two bugs so far:
  • For a first-time player, when a Small Wisp merges with something, the unit description for the new unit is unavailable if you try to read it. It stays that way 'til the next scenario. I suspect that's a wesnoth bug.
  • The Wild Cat description says it advances to Cait Sith and Twin Tail Cat, but the user isn't given a choice. It always picks Cait Sith.
Formerly NeoPhile
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Mathemagician wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 6:58 am I've run into two bugs so far:
  • For a first-time player, when a Small Wisp merges with something, the unit description for the new unit is unavailable if you try to read it. It stays that way 'til the next scenario. I suspect that's a wesnoth bug.
  • The Wild Cat description says it advances to Cait Sith and Twin Tail Cat, but the user isn't given a choice. It always picks Cait Sith.
I'd like to point out that it always picks Twin Tail Cat for me. So maybe gender is decided at one point and assigned to all cats?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Btw replays:
Spoiler:
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

The event is set to "random_gender = yes", so the cat's gender is randomly determined when the unit is created.
Gender cannot be determined by the appearance or status of the current unit, so it is not possible to know which way to go in the end until the unit advances.
I think that such a gambling element is like a cat, but if it has a bad reputation, I'd like to make it possible to tell the gender by appearance.

Konrad2, thank you for uploading the replay!
Mathemagician

Post by Mathemagician »

Ah, now I see. It's not a bug, it's intentional. But it could definitely be clearer to the user. One possible fix is to drop the [male] and [female] differences, and instead do it with separate units via [base_unit]. Then when the user summons a cat spirit, you pick one of the units at random. That way the user knows what's up. Bonus points for calling them tomcat and queen.
Formerly NeoPhile
Elvish_Assasin

Post by Elvish_Assasin »

Hi, I'm really enjoying this campaign but I am limited by the fact that I can't accumulate any gold. It doesn't matter how many villages I occupy my gold position never changes. I know money isn't needed for soldiers but it means I can't buy the cat at the start of Merchant's Road and I can't buy anything in Shiratama Town other than a cheap bottle of red and some food!

I am playing Wesnoth v. 1.16 on Windows 10. Mountain Witch Version 1.3.2. I have tried on Easy and Medium difficulties. Has anyone else had this issue?

I tried to continue on anyway but it is not possible to get out of Shiratama Town. On the first turn Sally disappears off to see Achigo and Ann disappears into the Wild Pig Inn for a rest. The objectives simply state: "Stroll around Shiratama City" and the time of day is perpertual day. It doesn't matter where I go I can't trigger anything or move on from this scenario.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Hello, Elvish_Assasin.
Looking at your report, I tested the scenario. The scenario can be cleared without any problem.
If you didn't have enough money on Merchant's Road, please give up. :P
But in Shiratama Town, you don't have to give up.
There is a place to buy second-hand goods here. And if you use Hana's abilities, you can expect considerable profits.
You've missed a place you haven't visited or someone you haven't talked to, try to find it again.
Elvish_Assasin

Post by Elvish_Assasin »

Hi IIIO_METAL,

Thank you, I found my way out of Shiratama Town thanks to your encouragement! I am not sure what you mean by ' if you use Hana's abilities, you can expect considerable profits' ...I can't find any way to get gold here or on Merchant's Road. No matter how many villages I occupy my gold count remains on zero - is this by design?

And I'm loving your illustrations too. Great job!

Cheers,

Elvish_Assassin

EDIT:
Something strange is going on with my setup...I'm playing Escape but the ship never arrives. I have checked my moves against Konrad2's replay file (see comment on November 23rd, 2021, 11:03 pm). A ship arrives in his but not in mine.

Any ideas?

I am playing Mountain Witch 1.3.2 on Battle for Wesnoth 1.16.0. Windows 10 OS.
MoWi-Escape Turn 36 EA.gz
(160.59 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

EDIT 2:
Ignore me. I just ran through it again without killing the enemy leaders and the ship arrives :)
Last edited by Konrad2 on December 29th, 2021, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Triple post
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Hello Elvish_Assassin.

There is no way to make money on Merchant's Road.
For the village, Hana are just visitors, not the army like other campaigns. They do not occupy the village they visited, so they cannot collect military funds from the village.
There are few places where Hana can make money, and Shiratama City is one of them.

How to make money
Spoiler:
Thank you for complimenting the illustration! :lol: