The Ravagers - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.16 [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: The Ravagers 1.3 - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.14 [Feedback and development]

Post by WhiteWolf »

This bug seems to originate from another mod or add-on that you have installed, because I cannot reproduce it on a clean game, but I see where the problem is.
My guess is that it's The Reign of the Lords, because the broken id that the advancement is referring to has ROL as abbreviation. I downloaded it, and it indeed inserts another Armageddon Drake to the game with this exact id, but it doesn't crash for me, and the unit can advance fine.
That's as far as I can go with this because it's not my add-on. See if you have their latest version. If not, then it could be a past bug, and updating it will probably solve the problem. If it's already the latest, then this should probably be reported in ROL's topic, referring that when the add-on is installed, its inserted Armageddon Drake is not recognized in a singleplayer game when trying to advance a core Inferno Drake.

KillerKetchup wrote: May 24th, 2020, 9:22 pm As for the commands, I didn’t know where they could be inputed, but I found it
If you indeed managed to find how to input them, then fixing your drake is just a few clicks. Open the console, type debug, enter. The game should drop a message that it entered debug mode. "Mouse over" the drake (I don't know how to do this on mobile though, maybe you just need to select it), then type to the console unit advances_to=Armageddon Drake, enter. The unit should now be fixed, type nodebug to exit debug mode.
(Note that this only fixes this one drake, and any other spawned Inferno Drakes will be susceptible to the same bug as long as the same state of your setup persists.)

EDIT:
I just had another thought: if you had ROL installed back when you received the drake, but have recently uninstalled it, then that will cause this exact error. It is unsafe to remove addons that insert stuff into the general path, while running saved games. Reinstalling ROL should solve the issue, if this is the case :)
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Version 1.3.7 is now uploaded to the add-ons server. Sadly it's just a bugfix patch, the new stuff is still in development and is getting delayed again, but I wanted to update the patches because they fix some of the more annoying kinds of bugs that accumulated for a while now.
Several known issues have been fixed, if interested, you may check the spoiler on the topic front page.
1.3.7 Changelog:
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
TheSociopath

Post by TheSociopath »

I just finished playing it, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. It was a high quality campaign in every respect. There was a good story, there weren't repeated and glaring grammar mistakes, unlike a lot of campaigns, I found the vast majority of scenarios to be challenging, but not overly difficult, and you had lots of interesting new mechanics, so good job.

That said, there was one bug I kept running into. Every once in a while, about every other scenario, or a little less, the screen wouldn't update until I ran my mouse cursor over it. Most of the time when this happened, once I attempted reloading a save to fix the issue, the game would crash. I wouldn't lose any data, and the save files weren't corrupted so it wasn't a major issue.
Admittedly, I'm not certain that it was specifically a glitch from your campaign, as I only recently switched to this version from 1.12, but I don't remember running into this error in any of my other endeavors with 1.14.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
TheSociopath wrote: November 11th, 2020, 5:54 am Every once in a while, about every other scenario, or a little less, the screen wouldn't update until I ran my mouse cursor over it. Most of the time when this happened, once I attempted reloading a save to fix the issue, the game would crash.
I doubt that the problem is on my end. Which version of 1.14 do you have? Game losing performance and crash upon save reload - to me, this sounds exactly like the memory leak bug that was fixed in 1.14.13. If you use an earlier version, I suggest updating (preferably to 1.14.14), since the bug could appear in other places as well.
Straff

Post by Straff »

Code: Select all

#define WEAPON_PICKAXE X Y ID
    [item]
        x={X}
        y={Y}
        image=items/hatchet.png   ## FIXME! Find pickaxe!
    [/item]
Attachments
pickaxe.png
pickaxe.png (6.34 KiB) Viewed 1997 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Thanks, but if I'm honest, I'm not a big fan of this pickaxe. The shaft extends too long over the top and the blade seems cropped. I guess the shaft can be fixed by some editing and you could argue that the lower half of the blade is just buried into the terrain, but I don't think the upper blade could be fixed. (at least not in 10 minutes and not with my artistic abilities).
I don't see it as a huge improvement over the current placeholder, so I'll pass on it for now.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I'm not sure who's still following this thread, but I've seen my campaigns come up mentioned in an "abandoned - trying to find porters for them" post.
The Ravagers will be coming for Wesnoth 1.16 and it will be ported by me. It'll take a while though.
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

WhiteWolf wrote: March 29th, 2022, 11:42 am The Ravagers will be coming for Wesnoth 1.16 and it will be ported by me. It'll take a while though.
Yes, plz and nice to see you once again... :D
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
Stela

Post by Stela »

This is one of the campaigns with the most interesting mechanics I have played. The drinking aspect is very fun, also the leveling up system. It doesn't get boring, which is something hard to achieve with such a long campaign. I haven't finished it yet, because I am stuck on one scenario, the one where we are in the treasury of Barag Gor to retrieve the black sword. I have no idea what I am supposed to do. How do I release the necromancers? And how do I open the other doors? There is supposed to be a lever somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. If someone knows, please help me.
ArFella

Post by ArFella »

Just finished the Ravagers (Wesnoth 1.14.13, Campaign version 1.3.7 on Medium difficulty) and I have to say I think it might be my favorite Wesnoth campaign ever, really thoroughly enjoyable, so much so that it compelled me to create an account here to rave about it! The unique elements of this campaign (drinking, AMLA, minigames, sidequests) are excellent and each one adds something to the story instead of being wedged in as side dressing.

The only major glitch I experienced was towards the end of the campaign on scenarios that required you to stand in a certain spot to lay a trap, examine a clue or open a lever after turn 1 they would often disappear (or not appear at all in the case of the lever), they didn't prevent my progression but it did make it a bit annoying having to Save, reload from the start of the scenario and write down the coordinates of the marks. The scenarios I recall this happening on were:
Spoiler:
If you ever do develop the Father Hilas. Sergeant Ladry or The Alderman sidequests please do let me know because I would be interested in replaying the campaign to explore where those stories go and thanks Again for a great campaign.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Thanks, glad you liked it!
Items disappearing from the map was a known issue for a while but I thought I fixed it in 1.3.7. Then apparently not completely, sorry for that.
There is one new map coming to the 1.16 edition of the campaign (as soon as I find the time to finish it), but I do not yet know if or when the missing sidequests will be added sadly.
Seanr303

Post by Seanr303 »

Im currently talking to the Dwarf in the saloon and doing his line of story but i find myself having an issue with the game freezing while upgrading the town center on his first scenario. Every time i go to it it makes me upgrade everything at once but never lets me leave the town center once im in it.
egallager

Post by egallager »

WhiteWolf wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 9:01 am Thanks, glad you liked it!
Items disappearing from the map was a known issue for a while but I thought I fixed it in 1.3.7. Then apparently not completely, sorry for that.
There is one new map coming to the 1.16 edition of the campaign (as soon as I find the time to finish it), but I do not yet know if or when the missing sidequests will be added sadly.
Let us know if there's any way we can help with the 1.16 edition of the campaign. If its source were hosted on GitHub or some other similar code-hosting site, I (or someone else) could submit pull requests...
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

egallager wrote: March 10th, 2023, 12:30 am Let us know if there's any way we can help with the 1.16 edition of the campaign. If its source were hosted on GitHub or some other similar code-hosting site, I (or someone else) could submit pull requests...
Oh, the porting itself is done already. I just want to finish a new map before publishing. Namely, an alternate map for the siege of barag gór, where instead of the current ambush, you can construct siege engines like rams, catapults, siege towers and actually ranged trebuchets. Writing code and AI (since the keep should also shoot back) for these is almost done, then it will just need some testing and balancing and I'll need to rig up a short tutorial scenario for the mechanics. I could host it on github, but I'm afraid it's not yet in a playable state. Will be soon I hope and then I can either host it or publish it for feedback, but unfortunately the time I can spend on it is below what you'd call extremely limited. (as I am in the middle of PhD studies).
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: The Ravagers - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.16 [Feedback and development]

Post by WhiteWolf »

After some consideration,
The Ravagers 1.4.0 has been published for the 1.16 add-ons server.

The siege map I mentioned in earlier posts is disabled for now and is to be finished and re-enabled in a later update.

I am likely going to be very slow in processing and replying to feedback and bug reports, but don't let that discourage anyone from giving feedback, it is still very welcome!

I could not reproduce the disappearing items bug (the elver and the archer placement circles) on 1.16. Let us see how it unfolds and if it reappears.

EDIT:
Note: aware of the newly introduced issue with Tauroch Riders (missing image) and not existing Dune Piercer recruits on the enemy AI list on map CT-2. To be fixed some time.