The Ravagers - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.16 [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gfgtdf
Developer

Re: The Ravagers 1.3 - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.14 [Feedback and development]

Post by gfgtdf »

You add-on "Era of the Ravagers" causes OOS for players that have this addon installed, even when they don't use this add-on, due o to using [advancefrom] without being guarded inside a campaigns custom #ifdef. This is a violation again the addon server rule 6.b :
Forum Moderators Team wrote: March 1st, 2009, 6:32 pm All add-ons uploaded must actually be functional. This does not mean add-ons must be bug free or that they must be complete, but they cannot:
Cause errors elsewhere, when not playing the add-on's content.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

gfgtdf wrote: March 13th, 2020, 8:40 pm You add-on "Era of the Ravagers" causes OOS for players that have this addon installed, even when they don't use this add-on, due o to using [advancefrom] without being guarded inside a campaigns custom #ifdef. This is a violation again the addon server rule 6.b :
Forum Moderators Team wrote: March 1st, 2009, 6:32 pm All add-ons uploaded must actually be functional. This does not mean add-ons must be bug free or that they must be complete, but they cannot:
Cause errors elsewhere, when not playing the add-on's content.
Oh :hmm: Well, I won't be able to fix this anytime soon, because I'm away for weeks from my PC that I use for uploading to the add-ons server. I guess a moderator could then remove the era for good, and I'll upload it again once I get around to fixing this. Sorry for the trouble :(
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

gfgtdf wrote: March 13th, 2020, 8:40 pm This is a violation again the addon server rule 6.b :
To be fair, is there a way a UMC campaign author should notice this mistake without playing MP?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Documentation - I added that on 31 May 2018 https://wiki.wesnoth.org/index.php?titl ... ldid=59434 most likely because of viewtopic.php?f=21&t=48159&start=15
Since all multiplayer content shares MULTIPLAYER define, using advancefrom changes unit type even if the addon is not actively used. For that reason multiplayer advancefrom may only be used with unit types defined in the same addon - then everyone who has the unit has it with same advancements.
But [advancefrom] was deprecated 2 days ago, so in the future it will be more visible issue.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Here a link to a post where is describe alternatives to [advancefrom]

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49257&p=637202#p637202

doofus-01 wrote: March 14th, 2020, 11:17 pm
gfgtdf wrote: March 13th, 2020, 8:40 pm This is a violation again the addon server rule 6.b :
To be fair, is there a way a UMC campaign author should notice this mistake without playing MP?
Hmm not really, but its mentioned here https://wiki.wesnoth.org/UnitTypeWML under advancefrom, also the addon that causes this problem is a multiplayer era.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

The issue is now fixed in 1.3.5 of the campaign and 1.3.1 of the era. Sorry that it took so long.

The new version of the campaign also brings some long-promised fixes and improvements, especially to the TID maps and scenarios.
Changelog 1.3.5:
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

WhiteWolf wrote: April 19th, 2020, 2:51 pm Sorry that it took so long.
Bruh, welcome back, my friend... :)
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

DukeSwampy wrote: April 19th, 2020, 5:23 pm Bruh, welcome back, my friend... :)
Yeah, the lockdown situation and all the additional work that comes with the madhouse of distance education... let's just say it's not exactly boosting my Wesnoth productivity... :D But I really hope to finish the todo-list from the suggestions, including the idea for an alternative Barag Gór siege scenario, and then start working on a new sidequest again. :)
KillerKetchup

Post by KillerKetchup »

Hey! I’ve been playing through the campaign on mobile recently and I’ve found a bug which stops me from being able to progress. On scenario 16 - The Wail, an error appears saying this after the wail says “and what a battle it was”, “<Invalid WML found> [unstore_unit]: variable ‘stored_addicus’ doesn’t contain unit data”. And the map stays full black and I’m playing as Cormac IV with no additional dialogue. Just reporting this in case it hasn’t been already.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hello,
KillerKetchup wrote: May 24th, 2020, 11:25 am “<Invalid WML found> [unstore_unit]: variable ‘stored_addicus’ doesn’t contain unit data”.
It means that the game is trying to load the Addicus character from the last time he was present (which was on map 11 - The Forbidden Memory), but it doesn't exist for some reason. I see two possibilities:

1) First I must ask - did you use any debug mode console commands, such as :n or :next_level to skip through some maps? I'm asking because this is the capital number one way to get such errors and break saved games. If this is the case, you must go back to your save of map 11 - The Forbidden Memory, and complete it without using debug mode commands.
General advice: don't use :n in any campaign. It's unsafe for the casual player, and will only get you errors in the long run :)

2) The variable got cleared somehow. This will be a lot harder to solve sadly.
Even though I can't imagine how, but it's possible that I'm overlooking something in one of the sidequests and some specific order can cause this conflict.
If this is the case (so you didn't use debug commands at all), I'll need more details because this info is not much to go on with.
Please tell me if you played any sidequests from The Inn (5), which is between map 11 and this (map 16), and if yes, in which order.
Also, please attach your map 16 savefile. That is: TRS-(16) The Wail.gz
KillerKetchup

Post by KillerKetchup »

Hey, thanks for the quick response,

I never used any debug commands (I’m on mobile, it won’t let me) and I played the side quest which teaches you to train kill, CT and FoV side quests (don’t know what the abbreviations stand for) in that order.

Here is the save game:
Attachments
TRS-(16) The Wail-Auto-Save1.gz
(343.73 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

KillerKetchup wrote: May 24th, 2020, 4:22 pm Here is the save game:
Thanks. It seems the variable indeed exists, but it only contains 4 keys (instead of the usual ~100). Interesting. I see nothing particular about that sidequest order.
However, I did notice one thing - apparently there is no defeat for the player if Addicus dies in combat during map 11. (This is indeed a bug). I just tested it, and indeed, if Addicus dies and then the map is won, it will result in just such a broken variable that your savefile has.
Do you remember, did Addicus perhaps die during your playthrough of map 11 (Forbidden Memory)? If yes, then that would explain it all.

Now while fixing the death-defeat bug should be easy and I'll do that soon for the next version, fixing your saved game will be harder, especially because it's on mobile and I'm not familiar with that platform at all. If it doesn't allow the player to enter console commands, then manually fixing it there is probably not possible.
If you still have any autosaves or such from the last turn of your previous scenario (that is, 15 - Prison of the King), that'd be cool. If you attach it, I can generate a new Addicus unit into it that can be recognized by the game on map 16.
If you no longer have the turn autosaves, then the scenario start save is fine as well, but in that case you'll have to replay that map from there.

Sadly, the only other option is to go back all the way to map 11, and replay it from there, without Addicus dying. :(
KillerKetchup

Post by KillerKetchup »

Hey, thanks for the info.

My addicus did die in scenario 11, but I wasn’t aware that it would affect me later.

As for the commands, I didn’t know where they could be inputed, but I found it so you should be able to use the commands to fix it.

Thank you for helping me, I’ve found your campaign very fun and the mechanics are very interesting and unique. Here is the save game for the previous scenario.
Attachments
TRS-(15) Prison of the King-Auto-Save43.gz
(350.04 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

KillerKetchup wrote: May 24th, 2020, 9:22 pm Here is the save game for the previous scenario.
And here is the patched version. Load this, and it should work fine now. Sorry for the inconvenience, so... I guess have a drink on the house? I also took the liberty of adding one bonus bloodshade drink to your inventory. Cheers ;)
Please keep posting if you find any other issues :)

EDITED:
The campaign has also been updated to avoid further instances of this bug.
Changelog 1.3.6:
KillerKetchup

Post by KillerKetchup »

Hey, new game works great, but I found another bug. I got Dayton drunk a while back and summoned an inferno drake which could level up to a Armageddon Drake. Once it levelled up the game would crash, it hasn’t been affecting me too much so I don’t need it fixed, just thought you should know for future updates.

Here is a save game so that you can see the error.
Attachments
TRS-(17) Snowy Pass-Auto-Save10.gz
(426.87 KiB) Downloaded 330 times