Altered era/ruleset (AKA "Altera", for 1.16, 1.14, 1.12 and 1.10)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: Altered era/ruleset

Post by octalot »

While looking at the textdomains used by all the add-ons I have installed, I noticed this line:

Code: Select all

Altered/specials/specials-to-hit/special-mystical.cfg:#textdomain wesnoth-defense bonus from buckler is not taken into account in damage approximations
lea

Post by lea »

octalot, thanks
going to fix it in next version of Altered
no idea how I managed to add it...
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.7.7 is published for BfW 1.14.x and 1.16.x

add-on servers for BfW 1.10.7 are now closed for uploads but "Altered era/ruleset" still supports BfW 1.10.7 - download it from add-on server of any newer version of BfW and manually copy it to BfW 1.10.7's 'add-ons' folder
similar for BfW 1.12.6 except "Corruption" rule is disabled under this version of Wesnoth because of bug present only under 1.12.6

changes:
- added "astral allies" rule: AI players sometimes recruit unafilited units (available to non-AI players as "astral allies") in their castles, these units have regular upkeep unlike "astral allies" recruited by non-AI players
- new astral companion - crocodile (level 2 unit), hard-hitting and tough, somewhat slow but moving at full speed in aquatic environments and able to lurk (become invisible when moving slowly) in swampy terrain
- fixed: AI's "mercenary allies" units used to get extra random trait, also hired and astral traits are now added to the end of trait lists of respective units instead of beginning
- fixed: rat astral companion used to have same hit and die sounds as saurs
- under BfW 1.16.x altered random maps now use mycelium terrain instead of mushroom grove because in 1.16.x mushroom grove had its terrain type changed from mushroom (only) to mushroom/cave
- under BfW 1.16.x [remove_object] WML tag is now used to remove unit badges (instead of [Remove_unit_overlay]) to reduce bloating of savegame files
- image for ^Eyt (watchtower) custom terrain is now included in Altered era to make it usable under BfW 1.16.x which does not contain this image unlike earlier versions
- changes in unit level badges:
level badges for leaders are now colored purple and there are no red splash marks on top of their level badges
commoners (level 0 units) now have level badge similar to badge for level 1 units except colored grey
summoned units (ones with astral trait and upkeep paid in leader's exp) now have level badges colored blue
mercenary units (ones with hired trait and double upkeep) now have level badges looking like split in two and colored golden (yellow-orange)
- fixed in Altered UI theme:
right panel used to be completely mangled under BfW 1.16.x and off under older versions of BfW in resolutions higher than 800x600
clock under BfW 1.14.x and later used to have two hourglass icons and its text was off
tooltip for gold icon was missing
in replay mode under BfW 1.14.x and later added "play single move" and "Continue Play" buttons
- other small UI changes:
unit entries in "Summon Astral Companions" submenu of "Recruit Abroad" menu now show amount of upkeep required for each astral companion unit type
"Altered UI Options" right-click menu entry is renamed to "Altered UI Preferences"
added mentions about rules and abilities which are not used by AI to "Info about Altered Rules" and "Special Unit Actions" submenus of right-click menu and tooltips of era options
shortened descriptions of altered AI-only rules
changed colors of unit entries in recruit abroad menu: grey for commoners, golden for mercenaries (and their submenu in recruit abroad menu), blue for astral companions (and their submenu in recruit abroad menu)
renamed "recruit mercenaries" submenu into "hire mercenaries"
removed mention of erroneous "level 3 units only" requirement from description of Rejuvenation AMLA
fixed: description of lifeless trait used to be incomplete
fixed: short description of Mercenaries was shown instead of short description of Astral Companions in respective submenu of "Recruit Abroad" menu when option to summon astral companions is disabled
Attachments
Altered 0.7.7 (core).zip
(7.83 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.7.7 (images of all units).zip
(6.31 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.7.7 (portraits for demons and fey).zip
(5.73 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.7.7 (portraits for gnomes and thanats and lamias).zip
(6.21 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.7.7 (portraits for valons and saurs).zip
(7.27 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.7.7 (portraits for naiads and unaffiliated units).zip
(3 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by lea on February 7th, 2024, 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.7.8 is published for BfW 1.14.x and 1.16.x

add-on servers for BfW 1.10.7 are now closed for uploads but "Altered era/ruleset" still supports BfW 1.10.7 - download it from add-on server of any newer version of BfW and manually copy it to BfW 1.10.7's 'add-ons' folder
similarly for BfW 1.12.6 except "Corruption" rule is disabled under this version of Wesnoth because of bug present only under 1.12.6

changes:
- added "Altered Larger Fonts" UI theme with 1.5x larger fonts (except menus and tooltips) and minimap, previously existing "Altered" UI theme is renamed to "Altered Classic"
- astral companions can now take "assimilation" advancement which costs 40 experience points and grants "phases" ability that allows given unit to remove and add "astral" trait for itself as a special unit action, without "astral" trait the unit has its upkeep paidin gold and can switch to reduced upkeep modes if it fits all other requirements for them
- new astral companion - gryphon (level 3 unit), very fast melee-centric flyer with good defense on almost any terrain
- fixed: attacks with swarming attack special sometimes had zero strikes
- changes in UI indicators (work with any UI theme)
leader's experience is now shown in gold indicator
total upkeep of astral companions units (which have their upkeep paid in leader's experience) is now shown in upkeep indicator
number of strikes for attacks with swarming attack special (for unit's current number hitpoints) is now shown in tooltip of hitpoints indicator
- replaced text of "Altered General UI Indicators" section in "Altered User Interface Elements" chapter under "Info about Altered Rules" right-click menu option: now it references tooltips of respective indicators instead of listing all changes made for them
- renamed beasts (catch-all race for astral companions creatures) to ferals
- under Wesnoth 1.10.7 and 1.12.6 rearranged factions in alphabetical order to match order enforced by later versions of Wesnoth
- added shading to portraits for thanat mummy and lamia caviller, replaced portrait for lamia harridan and lamia termagant
Attachments
Altered 0.7.8 (core).zip
(6 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
Altered 0.7.8 (images of all units).zip
(6.45 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.7.8 (images of projectiles and portraits for gargoyles and fey).zip
(7.78 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.7.8 (portraits for gnomes and thanats and lamias).zip
(6.43 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.7.8 (portraits for valons and saurs).zip
(7.27 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.7.8 (portraits for naiads and unaffiliated units).zip
(3.6 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by lea on February 7th, 2024, 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Hi,
I am playing Wesnoth both on BfW version 1.14.71-57 on Android 8.1.0.
My screen is quite small so I cannot properly read story text.
I tried decreasing the resolution of the screen, but the app somehow does not support any height smaller than 600, which gives me 1100x600 for my screen, which is already bigger than my nominal resolution (900x480).
So I downloaded the Altered Era/Ruleset 0.7.8 to use the 1.5 larger font theme.
However, when I activate this theme, it makes Wesnoth crash when I start a game (ever fresh or loaded) or when I activate it while I am already playing.
Is this something known?
I also have the same problem on Windows with BfW 1.14.17
I cannot post Android logs, because I do not know if and where they are saved, but here is the windows one.
I know this is not the latest version of Wesnoth, so I will understand if this problem is not solved
Attachments
wesnoth-20220315-110328-1788.log
(3.85 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Last edited by lhybrideur on March 16th, 2022, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
lea

Post by lea »

lhybrideur wrote: March 15th, 2022, 10:08 am... ... ...
I also have the same problem on Windows with BfW 1.14.17
I cannot post Android logs, because I do not know if and where they are saved, but here is the windows one.
I know this is ot the latest version of Wesnoth, so I will understand if this problem is not solved
I tested it on BfW 1.14.16 (in addition to 1.16.1, 1.10.7 and 1.12.6)
going to test on 1.14.17 specifically
which version of windows did you use?
did you try it with any other version of BfW?
lhybrideur wrote: March 15th, 2022, 10:08 am Hi,
I am playing Wesnoth both on BfW version 1.14.71-57 on Android 8.1.0.
My screen is quite small so I cannot properly read story text.
I tried decreasing the resolution of the screen, but the app somehow does not support any height smaller than 600, which gives me 1100x600 for my screen, which is already bigger than my nominal resolution (900x480).
if BfW runs on windows in windowed mode then it allows to change "resolution" (window size) arbitrarily similar to any other windowed application
BfW 1.14.x and later do not allow to make it smaller than 800x600 while BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.6 does allow 800x480 (and have correct UI layouts for main menu etc in this resolution) even though it does not list 800x480 resolution in respective submenu in its preferences
IIRC it was done to support device named "open pandora" which has 800x480 screen
I guess Android port of BfW 1.10.7 or 1.12.6 might be able to run on your phone without downscaling
lea

Post by lea »

lhybrideur wrote: March 15th, 2022, 10:08 amI also have the same problem on Windows with BfW 1.14.17
.log file that you provided contains following lines:

Code: Select all

20220315 11:03:48 error display: could not open image 'buttons/large/button-menu.png'
20220315 11:03:48 error display: could not open image 'buttons/large/button-menu-pressed.png'
20220315 11:03:48 error display: could not open image 'buttons/large/button-menu-active.png'
20220315 11:03:48 error display: error initializing button images! file name: buttons/large/button-menu.png
it says that these three files (used only for UI theme with larger fonts) are missing
tests on clean install of BfW 1.14.17 and 1.16.0 show that version of Altered currently available on BfW's addons servers does contain these files
reinstalling (uninstalling and installing again) "Altered era/ruleset" should fix this issue unless these files are somehow blocked by your antivirus or something like... please let me know if it worked

also tried to manually delete these files: for me it complains about these files being missing and returns to BfW's main menu instead of crashing
reinstalling "Altered era/ruleset" fixed it for me
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Hi lea,
thank you for the answer. I will install Wesnoth Legacy (1.12) on my phone today.
The files are there. I am not sure why it does not find them (maybe a problem with the path?).
I have no problem opening the files, so it does not seems the problem comes for the files being blocked.
When I suppress the file, the game still crash. Here is the log in that case

Update:
I download BfW Legacy and was able to have a 888x480 resolution
Attachments
wesnoth-20220316-121903-5960.log
(1.21 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Last edited by lhybrideur on March 16th, 2022, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

More information.
I have the same problem when I delete "large/" on lines 61 and 72 of ui-theme-larger-fonts.cfg, or when I chose the classic theme instead.
I think there is a problem with the path in menu-main and actions-menu [menu]s at least with BfW 1.14.17.
I see that you have several #ifver WESNOTH_VERSION <= 1.14.17 in your code some I imagine there was a UI change in this version, and maybe you missed this specific change
lea

Post by lea »

lhybrideur wrote: March 16th, 2022, 11:35 am More information.
I have the same problem when I delete "large/" on lines 61 and 72 of ui-theme-larger-fonts.cfg, or when I chose the classic theme instead.
I think there is a problem with the path in menu-main and actions-menu [menu]s at least with BfW 1.14.17.
I see that you have several #ifver WESNOTH_VERSION <= 1.14.17 in your code some I imagine there was a UI change in this version, and maybe you missed this specific change
before writing my previous post I tested it on fresh install of BfW 1.14.17 (on three OSes and two PCs) and could reproduce this issue only by manually deleting respective files

major UI theme format change was after BfW 1.14.17 - hence multiple if's which include all versions up to and including 1.14.17

"large/" folder is used all over larger fonts theme because respective subfodlers ([wesnoth's-local-addons-folder]/Altered/Images/buttons/large/ and [wesnoth's-local-addons-folder]/Altered/Images/indicators/large/) contain images that were resized for it

does it work if you delete [menu] tags from UI theme and leave everything else intact?

also I would try to reinstall Wesnoth itself since in the past I had strange issues with BfW's mainline content which did not reproduce in freshly reinstalled instance of the same version of BfW
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Oh yes sorry about that. I missed that it was <=1.14.17 and not <1.14.17
Commenting image= out just transfer the problem to the next button (button-end-turn line 178).
If I also replace the image_path with "" in this macro, I can load the scenario, but it of course messes with the top bar.

I think the problem lies in that [menu] image= path seems to look for the image in the /images/buttons/ folder of the core and not of the addon. If I copy the files in the core folder everything is working.

Another problem I have, is that the background is not always going back to the standard one, resulting in some weird effects (see picture)

Update: I was able to play on the phone by doing copying the images to the core folder.
Attachments
Untitled.png
wesnoth-20220317-113912-26160.log
(927 Bytes) Downloaded 56 times
Last edited by lhybrideur on March 18th, 2022, 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
lea

Post by lea »

it is strange that I cannot reproduce this problem using supposedly same version of BfW (1.14.17 on windows)...
where did you download it?
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

From here : https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnot ... th-1.14.17
I would say it might be something computer specific if I did not have the same problem on my phone and on my computer.
On the computer I am playing on Windows 10 Enterprise 21H1 19043.1526 on a Lenovo Thinkpad with a AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650U CPU
I can try to install BfW on another computer (Asus Gaming with AMD CPU with Windows 10 Pro I think) this evening and test it
lea

Post by lea »

lhybrideur wrote: March 18th, 2022, 9:37 amI would say it might be something computer specific if I did not have the same problem on my phone and on my computer.
from your previous posts I got an impression that UI theme with larger fonts crashes on both your pgone and your computer
could you please describe the difference in greater detail?
lhybrideur wrote: March 18th, 2022, 9:37 amI can try to install BfW on another computer (Asus Gaming with AMD CPU with Windows 10 Pro I think) this evening and test it
that would be helpful
even more so if you can find computer with Intel CPU
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Same problem with the other computer. Exact same error message.
Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1586 with AMD Ryzen 5 3550H