Altered era/ruleset (AKA "Altera", for 1.16, 1.14, 1.12 and 1.10)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lea

Altered era/ruleset (AKA "Altera", for 1.16, 1.14, 1.12 and 1.10)

Post by lea »

this is feedback/changelog thread for "Altera", also known as "Altered era/ruleset"

this era is an attempt to redesign, rebalance and re-flavor BfW's multiplayer factions according to author's taste (seven races/factions are "altered" so far).
it also adds some custom rules to make late games on big maps more challenging for winning player (especially when playing against AI), "tie loose ends" like using recall menu for resurrecting dead units and add some quality-of-life features, new tactical options and abilities.

it is available on official add-ons servers for following versions of Battle of Wesnoth (search for "Altered Era/Ruleset" there):
BfW 1.16.x (https://addons.wesnoth.org/1.16/)
BfW 1.14.x (https://addons.wesnoth.org/1.14/)
for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.6 new versions cannot be uploaded anymore, but version on 1.16.x and 1.14.x add-ons servers is identical and still compatible with BfW 1.12.6 and 1.10.7, it can be downloaded from there and manually copied (unzipped) to addons folder of BfW 1.12.6 or 1.10.7 (or any newer stable version) - which is recommended because add-ons server for BfW 1.10.7 is stuck with version 0.6.5 of Altered era/ruleset which contains annoying bug that was fixed in 0.6.6 (can also be mitigated by disabling icons for healing and tactician effects)
official downloads of older versions of BfW can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth/files/
Notes on compatibility of Altered era/ruleset with different versions of "The Battle for Wesnoth" (from "compatibility.txt" and "/ui-themes/readme-ui-themes.txt" files included with "Altered era/ruleset"):
Spoiler:
also "Altered Era [+new sprites]" is discussed in this thread, which is (or at least was) The_Gnat's effort to provide unique sprites for "more of the same" advancements (for two races/factions so far), in Altered era/ruleset these "more of the same" advancements reuse sprites of lower level units they advance from (see explanation under the first spoiler below). it is available on official add-ons server for BfW 1.12.6

feedback is welcome!
under the spoiler are some questions if you want your feedback to be more structured:
Spoiler:
please feel free to send your feedback in private message if you do not feel like going public )

more details about it:

full list of Altered Era's custom rules can be accessed in game from right-click menu ("Info about Altered Rules" entry), some of these rules are listed under spoiler below:
Spoiler:
auto-generated unit advancement trees (may be somewhat obsolete and occasionally incorrect, for example in Lamia Viper subtree both Haspid and Scylla are incorrectly shown as level 2 advancements of Viper while they are actually level 3 units to which Conda can advance):
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.14/Altered/ ... fault.html
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.14/Altera/e ... fault.html
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.16/Altered/ ... fault.html
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.16/Altera/e ... fault.html
there are some "commoners" - level 0 units that have most qualities of level 1 units, except they are weaker, fighting them gives experience to their opponent only if this opponent will not advance/level-up as a result and only 4 exp is given for killing them.
also some units are shown more than once because there is more than one unit type able to advance to them, for example both fey preserver and fey wanderer ("commoners" of fey faction) can advance to archer, so archer subtree is shown twice, once for each "commoner"

there are a bunch of other "design guidelines" that I strive to follow when making content for Altered era/ruleset, see them under the spoiler (or in design-choices.txt file from Altered Era's folder):
Spoiler:
random traits are changed to make most of them scale with unit's power (for damage bonuses) and have no downsides (for movement bonus), "intelligent" trait is removed (except for temporarily included mainline races), added some new racial traits, full list under the spoiler:
Spoiler:
tested mostly on included customized random map generators ("Altered Huge random map" and "Altered Duel random map") designed to include most terrain types in relative abundance, including some rare mixed terrain types and special terrains for "healing hamlets" rule
Attachments
all-party-8.png
Last edited by lea on February 1st, 2024, 12:12 pm, edited 86 times in total.
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
The_Gnat

Re: "Altered" era/ruleset

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi Lea, this altered era sounds great, one thing i think would be cool to add also is that there are two types of villages, blacksmith shops, mines, mills, etc. that give money and normal villages that heal, rather than having villages do both
lea

Post by lea »

I like the idea of multiple settlement types (would go for more than two) and I think I know how to make that in WML for player-vs-player games on custom-made maps. there are two major issues with it:
1) random maps (my mode of choice so far) do not contain enough alternative settlement types to fully take on either function of villages - need to tamper with random map generator to change that
2) AI does not know how to use alternative settlement types - need to tamper with AI obviously
both of these look like major time sinks to me... so not now. but may be later, when I flesh out a few more factions

EDIT: retroactively adding release note for first published version of Altera (below) since forgot to do it when it was released

version 0.1.0 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:
- added first "Altered" race - fey (called elves in mainline)
- changed random traits:
damage and hitpoints bonuses are expressed as percentage of base value,
removed downsides from random traits,
formerly race-specific random traits are available for all races
intelligent trait is removed for "Altered" races
- added "Altered" custom rules:
no healing on advancement - units afte radvancement have same amount of hitpoints as right before it
rebirth - killed units are moved to their owner's recall lists
dismissing - units can be dismissed to recall list (essentially committing suicide)
penalized recalling - recalling a unit costs half of this unit's maximum experience, recalled unit loses half of its experience and has only 10 hitpoints
ad-hoc recruiting - leaders can recruit units in windmills and owned villages at double price
desperate stand - side that almost exhausted its army and gold reserves receives extra gold
Attachments
Altered 0.1.0.zip
(5.62 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by lea on February 1st, 2024, 5:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

lea wrote:1) random maps (my mode of choice so far) do not contain enough alternative settlement types to fully take on either function of villages - need to tamper with random map generator to change that
Yeah i agree, (and always if you can't change the map generator you can just make events for specific terrain types to differentiate between settlements)
lea wrote:2) AI does not know how to use alternative settlement types - need to tamper with AI obviously
both of these look like major time sinks to me... so not now. but may be later, when I flesh out a few more factions
Another yeah it would be silly for ai to be sitting on a income earning settlement waiting to get healed ;)

I'd love to hear your other ideas for settlements!
Last edited by The_Gnat on November 20th, 2016, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
lea

Post by lea »

The_Gnat wrote:Yeah i agree, (and always if you can't change the map generator you can just make events for specific terrain types to differentiate between settlements)
current random maps have only regular villages in required quantities so without changing map generators there will be lack/overabundance of either healing sources or income sources - except in maps manually customized for this kind of settlements
The_Gnat wrote:I'd love to hear your other ideas for settlements!
these are settlements where otherwise unavailable units can be hired, like hiring animals in lairs located in their natural habitats (desert lairs for scorpions, forest lairs for wolves etc), hiring trolls on bridges (for those who like this fantasy stereotype), hiring dragons in cave lairs (if I manage to add caves to random maps) and so on
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Sound good! I am interested in trying out your era when it is completed! :D (also is the circular weapon special going to be included in this era) EDIT: After trying it i see it is included 8)
Last edited by The_Gnat on November 20th, 2016, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.1.1 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:
- fixed bug in circular weapon special - it was possible to make more hits than this special should allow if used defensively
- added 3 more units to elven faction
- changed elven tender melee attack from 4-4 to 4-3 (one of new units now fills "cheaper blunt melee" niche)
- fixed a few typos and bugs in animations
Attachments
Altered 0.1.1.zip
(5.73 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by lea on February 1st, 2024, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lea

Post by lea »

The_Gnat wrote:Sound good! I am interested in trying out your era when it is completed! :D (also is the circular weapon special going to be included in this era)
it is already included and used by 3 units (4 in 0.1.1 update).
this era is not intended to ever be "totally finished, nothing more to add", I intend to put 1.0 version number when 3 races will be "altered" so that default factions can be removed. unless I "run out of steam" before reaching this milestone :)
If you want to find out whether you may like this era when it will be more or less "full" then I suggest to play one game on (medium or larger) random map with "Elves" faction chosen for all players
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

lea wrote:it is already included and used by 3 units (4 in 0.1.1 update).
this era is not intended to ever be "totally finished, nothing more to add", I intend to put 1.0 version number when 3 races will be "altered" so that default factions can be removed. unless I "run out of steam" before reaching this milestone :)
If you want to find out whether you may like this era when it will be more or less "full" then I suggest to play one game on (medium or larger) random map with "Elves" faction chosen for all players
Ok i'll give that a try and post my thoughts.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi i have played a random map with the altered era and i think it is really cool! I totally love the magical attack animations you have created, especially call lightning!!! 8) :D Here are my thoughts:

I noticed in the rules desperate stand and i was wondering what that was for. Also i was wondering why the units have yellow arrows showing their level under them? Also i was unable to recruit onto owned villages.

Other things i noticed:
-The elven nymph has 52 xp to advance where as its counterpart the elven oracle only has 36 that seems like a big difference
-The elven wanderer and forester i did not at first realize do not advance to lvl 2 units, it would be nice if that was made clear (but even once i found out i bought a lot of them ;) )
- I noticed that villages heal and give gold, are you planning on changing that still? Also if some villages no longer heal are you planning on adding in any healer units?
Also i loved all the new units you created but noticed a lot didn't have unique images, here are images i found that (i think :P ) would be better for the various units to make them each unique!

Fighter Champion: (i suggest you use the elf shielder image from the golden age - not quite the same style if you don't like it i have 3 other images that i suggest would work)

Fighter Hero: (i suggest the elvish line holder from the golden age - i have other images that would work for this unit also)

Warden Hero: (navigator from uber default era)

Conjurer:
I created this unit, it has animations if you like it
I created this unit, it has animations if you like it
prince.png (3.68 KiB) Viewed 20830 times
Conjurer Hero: (great champion by forest dragon, unfortunately has no anims)

Ancanist Hero: (overlord from uber default)

If you are interested in having this i have already found images for most of your units without unique pictures. :D (and if you don't have time to do this i can add them all for you!) I think that unique images are really important so it would be great if they got added!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Also here are some additional attack icons that might be useful, and i have a bunch more magical attacks and attacks for other races (dwarves,humans,orcs)
Attachments
astral-blade-3.png
astral-blade-3.png (9.14 KiB) Viewed 20827 times
sword-faerie.png
sword-faerie.png (5.02 KiB) Viewed 20827 times
lightning-blue.png
lightning-blue.png (6.81 KiB) Viewed 20827 times
elf-beam-2.png
elf-beam-2.png (8.83 KiB) Viewed 20827 times
ball-ice.png
ball-ice.png (5.44 KiB) Viewed 20827 times
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.1.2 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:
- reduced hitpoints and max experience for most high-level units, fixed max experience for some of them (used to be same as level 2 units because of my mistake)
- added random map generators with different default settings (for tiny and large game)
- reduced ranged damage for sidne (was too high to make dancer hero worth going for)
Attachments
Altered 0.1.2.zip
(6.08 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
Last edited by lea on February 1st, 2024, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lea

Post by lea »

The_Gnat wrote:I totally love the magical attack animations you have created, especially call lightning!!!
thanks but this animation is made by someone else (don't know who exactly). I took it from ageless era (IIRC) and merely made the cloud move (it was hanging still in original version of this animation). Concord's "call hail" attack animation is closer to being "made by me", but still uses stormcloud images from "call lightning"
The_Gnat wrote:I noticed in the rules desperate stand and i was wondering what that was for.
as the name implies, it is an attempt to give losing side an ability to put up a final fight - or even recover. otherwise leaders without armies and cash can be killed by just a few level 1 units, even though I made them stronger than regular level 3 units.
The_Gnat wrote:Also i was wondering why the units have yellow arrows showing their level under them?
to indicate their level ;) I hope it should help to distinguish "champion" and "hero" units ("more of the same" advancement paths) from their level 1 predecessors - they use same looks and animations so without additional signs players would have to hover the mouse cursor over them just to know if each such unit is basic level 1 unit or advanced version of the same basic type. for that same reason leaders are marked with red "flash" over their level indicators.
The_Gnat wrote:Also i was unable to recruit onto owned villages.
did you see "Recruit in Village" option in right-click menu? I'll check if I made some typo in definition of this ability
The_Gnat wrote:-The elven nymph has 52 xp to advance where as its counterpart the elven oracle only has 36 that seems like a big difference
it is 120 and 90 respectively in version 0.1.2 - still fairly big difference but I think it is justified by heal/regenerate abilities of the nymph and the fact that all oracle's attacks (except humble staff) cannot kill (have "nonlethal" special) so oracle should be harder to level up
The_Gnat wrote:-The elven wanderer and forester i did not at first realize do not advance to lvl 2 units, it would be nice if that was made clear
they are intended to be kind of level 0 units, but with non-zero upkeep and zone of control. I expected that it will be confusing (also they do not show up in advancement trees in https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/Altered/ ... html#Elves) but failed to come up with a way to make it more clear :( any ideas?
The_Gnat wrote:(but even once i found out i bought a lot of them ;) )
do you think they are too strong/useful for their price?
The_Gnat wrote:- I noticed that villages heal and give gold, are you planning on changing that still? Also if some villages no longer heal are you planning on adding in any healer units?
yes, villages work in the same way as in default ruleset. I intend to get at least 3 factions/races to playable state and only then elaborate on custom rules. also want to tamper with random map generator to add caves and a few other things.
The_Gnat wrote:Also i loved all the new units you created but noticed a lot didn't have unique images, here are images i found that (i think :P ) would be better for the various units to make them each unique!
my primary goal is to add variety in game mechanics and "backstory" (unit descriptions), not in graphics. But suggestions for images are welcome because after getting 3 factions up to playable state I will likely want to add more units to them and for elves I already ran out of default images :) also some existing units may get additional attacks
The_Gnat wrote:If you are interested in having this i have already found images for most of your units without unique pictures. :D (and if you don't have time to do this i can add them all for you!) I think that unique images are really important so it would be great if they got added!
I suggest you add/replace them yourself and post it on BfW's addons server as your variation of my era (feel free to use similar name with some suffix for it so that it will be near my era in addons list when sorted alphabetically). Two more factions are going to take plenty of my time and only after making them I am going to get to polishing things. if I will live long enough :)
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.1.3 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:
- fixed ad-hoc recruitment in villages and windmills not working in most setups
- added explanation for "commoner" units to "info about rules" right-click menu option, these are level 1 units that are intended to be "level 0 units with non-zero upkeep and zone of control"
- added traveler to ad-hoc recruit list and increased its price (used to be same as tender's price despite stronger attacks)
Attachments
Altered 0.1.3.zip
(6.09 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by lea on February 1st, 2024, 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Thanks for responding!! :)
Spoiler:
Hmm... its a good idea but the arrows seem a little bit too obtrusive on the wesnoth sprites and scenery (maybe if you shrink them a little it would be better) :D
Spoiler:

Glad you fixed it, this is a good feature!
Spoiler:
Yeah i see what you mean, nonlethal is a big disadvantage, so this is good.
Spoiler:
Its good it is added to the rules, that way no one else makes my mistake :D
Spoiler:
This is hard to say, maybe increase the price by 1gp, i would really have to play more to tell you for sure.
Spoiler:
Yeah that is a good idea!
Spoiler:
Thanks a lot, i will have a look around over the next few weeks and see if i can get sprites unique sprites for all the units! :D

Great Era i look forward to the new factions!

Also in the multiplayer window the altered era just says "altered", all the rest say "XXXX era" so maybe you should make it say "altered era" (this is not really important just a thought i had), and there is no description for the altered era in the multiplayer menu.

EDIT: also here are two good alternative images to use for entwine -
vine-ensnare.png
vine-ensnare.png (7.98 KiB) Viewed 20789 times
vine.png
vine.png (6.31 KiB) Viewed 20789 times