Altered era/ruleset (AKA "Altera", for 1.16, 1.14, 1.12 and 1.10)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Altered era/ruleset

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I got curious to see what the fuss was about and decided to give this add-on a go.
So, the UI themes with this add-on seem to load only for MP scenarios in my 1.16.2 client (MacOS 11.6.3 - cannot support 12.2.2 since I have 6 y/o laptop).
And the Fey Grower did not CTD for me. At all. I guess your hotfix worked.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
lea

Post by lea »

lhybrideur wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 4:10 pm I have the exact same behavior with 1.14.16 than with 1.14.17
thanks for testing
so far I could not reproduce issues you've described so no idea how to fix them...
having only a vague guess that it has something to do with permissions in either user accounts or file system
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
lea

Post by lea »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 5:01 pm I got curious to see what the fuss was about and decided to give this add-on a go.
fuss? do you mean last dozen or so posts in this forum topic?
Lord-Knightmare wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 5:01 pm So, the UI themes with this add-on seem to load only for MP scenarios in my 1.16.2 client (MacOS 11.6.3 - cannot support 12.2.2 since I have 6 y/o laptop).
hmm... going to test it when will have more time
Lord-Knightmare wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 5:01 pm And the Fey Grower did not CTD for me. At all. I guess your hotfix worked.
thanks for testing it
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
lea

Post by lea »

lhybrideur wrote: March 21st, 2022, 12:21 pm I do not get a crash with your cfg file. However I still get the background not resetting (see picture)

I have an error close to the one you show with 1.12 ("Error while playing the game:error initializing button image! file name: buttons/button-menu.png")
managed to reproduce this bug, seems to be a bug in wesnoth itself, described here along with notes for different versions of wesnoth: viewtopic.php?t=55538

attached ui-theme-larger-fonts.cfg with further alterations, adding (returning) icons to top panel indicators and mainline images for panel backgrounds, can be used with mainline campaigns under 1.10.7 and 1.12.6
does it fix (work around) background updating issue for you?
Attachments
ui-theme-larger-fonts.cfg
(14.16 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

It works like a charm on my computer.
I still have the problem on my phone (see picture) but I think this is a Android port problem rather than an add-on problem now.
Thank you very much for solving this problem
Attachments
Screenshot_20220323-121423.png
lea

Post by lea »

lhybrideur wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 12:55 pm It works like a charm on my computer.
I still have the problem on my phone (see picture) but I think this is a Android port problem rather than an add-on problem now.
Thank you very much for solving this problem
it is a low resolution problem (under about 600 pixels tall), works without issues on your PC because resolution is high enough for recruit dialog etc to not overlap with top panel
usually occurs when panel's background image is not found or absent

attached below is another edited ui-theme-larger-fonts.cfg which should partially mitigate it ("background not resetting" should be limited to gaps between indicators)

visibly mangled font on your last screenshot suggests that you still use wesnoth 1.14.x on your phone and get downscaling
can you try wesnoth 1.12.x instead?
Attachments
ui-theme-larger-fonts.cfg
(13.81 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.8.0 is published for BfW 1.14.x and BfW 1.16.x
it is published under 2 names:
"Altered era/ruleset" is stable version, it is going to be updated only when second digit of version number is changed
"Altera" is "development" version which is going to be updated more often

add-on servers for BfW 1.10.7 are now closed for uploads but "Altered era/ruleset" still supports BfW 1.10.7 - download it from add-on server of any newer version of BfW and manually copy it to BfW 1.10.7's 'add-ons' folder
similar for BfW 1.12.6 except "Corruption" rule is disabled under this version of Wesnoth because of bug present only under 1.12.6

changes:
- added eighth "Altered" race/faction - naiads (called merfolk in mainline), almost all units of this race have extreme unconventional movetype (speed 10, but movement over any terrain except snow, swamp and water costs more than 2 move points), some naiad units can also hide in shallow water
- added "damaging misses" rule (disabled by default, available under BfW 1.10.7 as separate era): in combat every strike that misses deals 50% of its usual damage
- changes in "desperate stand" rule:
when desperate stand is triggered then delay component of desperation index is now set to sum of of map's height and width, it is no longer reduced compared to its value at turn 1
delay component of desperation index now thaws by 15 points per turn
leader is now taken into account for unit component of desperation index
- recruit abroad cost for all units is now calculated in code, it should fix all recruit abroad costs that erroneously diverged from formula stated in description of "recruit abroad" rule (2 gold higher (compared to recruiting from the keep) for "Commoner" units and 1.5x higher for other units, rounded up)
- replaced sprites/animations of valon mounted units armed with swords and/or lances with sprites/animations from and/or based on ones contained in BfW 1.16.x
- changes in attacks of specific units:
added lethal low-damage ranged attack named fatal prophecy to fey oracle
slightly reduced damage and added shocking attack special to lightbrand attack of valon paladin
added sword attack (with blade damage type) to valon paladin
- nonlethal attack special now reports zero damage when used versus opponent with one hitpoint, because of that units with such attacks now prefer weaker lethal attacks versus such opponents when defending or controlled by AI
- fixed: "precise" random trait did not work for attacks with some weapon specials that changed chance to hit
- added "Altered Larger Fonts for campaigns" UI theme which is bland version of "Altered Larger Fonts" UI theme, it uses only images available in BfW itself and as such can work correctly in campaigns (only under BfW 1.14.17 and older because BfW 1.16.x silently switches to default UI theme when campaign is loaded), also added \ui-themes\readme-ui-themes.txt file with instructions on how to make other included UI themes usable with campaigns
- fixed: in "Altered Larger Fonts" UI theme in screen resolutions narrower than 1280 pixels "End Turn" button was placed in top right corner of the screen instead of top right corner of top panel (to the left of time-of-day image)
- minor changes in "Altered Classic" UI theme:
slightly increased font sizes under BfW 1.14.x
reduced width of "Menu" and "Action" buttons by 7 pixels
reduced distances between all indicators on top panel from 5 to 3 pixels
increased width of all indicators on top panel (except clock) by 5 pixels
- "astral allies" rule is disabled by default (can be manually re-enabled in era options) because it allows AI opponents to recruit level 3 units on turn 1
Attachments
Altered 0.8.0 (core).zip
(6.04 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.8.0 (images of all units).zip
(6.8 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.8.0 (images of projectiles and portraits for gargoyles and fey).zip
(7.78 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.8.0 (portraits for gnomes and thanats and lamias).zip
(6.43 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.8.0 (portraits for valons and saurs).zip
(7.27 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.8.0 (portraits for naiads and unaffiliated units).zip
(4.1 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by lea on February 5th, 2024, 2:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Altered era/ruleset (AKA "Altera")

BfW 1.16.x - blocks custom UI themes outside "multiplayer mode", when campaign
is started it silently switches to default UI theme included in BfW itself
The new method is loading the theme as a [modification] add-on and then switching at campaign start.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

I liked the coding of the addon and your detailed presentation.
note=the two wiki links for the units tree seem broken with 404 error
lea

Post by lea »

hermestrismi wrote: June 16th, 2022, 8:29 pm note=the two wiki links for the units tree seem broken with 404 error
thanks for pointing this out, fixed
Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 16th, 2022, 12:08 pm The new method is loading the theme as a [modification] add-on and then switching at campaign start.
do I have to publish separate add-on to 1.16.x add-ons server to make custom UI theme available in campaigns?
is there any way to include [modification] section into add-on that also contains [era] section?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

do I have to publish separate add-on to 1.16.x add-ons server to make custom UI theme available in campaigns?
is there any way to include [modification] section into add-on that also contains [era] section?
They can all go into the same addon. [modification] has to load the theme from toplevel though. See add-ons _classic theme_ and _combat info theme_ to see how it is done.
lea

Post by lea »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 17th, 2022, 8:04 amThey can all go into the same addon. [modification] has to load the theme from toplevel though. See add-ons _classic theme_ and _combat info theme_ to see how it is done.
installed both UI theme addons you mentioned under BfW 1.16.3 and BfW 1.16.0
UI themes from these addons are indeed available in respective submenu of Preferences window (Altera ones also appear there), if any of them are set as default and single player campaign is started from respective main menu button then it still resets to default theme and preferences window opened while campaign is running allows to choose only default theme

if instead single player campaign is launched from multiplayer entry of main menu then it can use custom UI theme installed as [modification] (but not Altered UI theme)

is it by design?
seems incredibly un-obvious to me...
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

if instead single player campaign is launched from multiplayer entry of main menu then it can use custom UI theme installed as [modification] (but not Altered UI theme)
Not really. I got them to load in SP campaigns from the campaign menu. The procedure is starting the campaign with the modifications ticked ON.
After the first scenario starts, going to preferences and setting the theme to the desired one works and it says like while the campaign is played.
lea

Post by lea »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 30th, 2022, 1:08 pmNot really. I got them to load in SP campaigns from the campaign menu. The procedure is starting the campaign with the modifications ticked ON.
After the first scenario starts, going to preferences and setting the theme to the desired one works and it says like while the campaign is played.
tried it and it does indeed work this way under BfW 1.16.x (works either way under BfW 1.14.x)
why this way of using custom UI themes with single-player campaigns is enforced in 1.16.x?
what is wrong with the old straightforward way?
Last edited by lea on July 3rd, 2022, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

lea wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 6:02 pm
why this way of using custom UI themes with single-player campaigns is enforced in 1.16.x?
what is wrong with the old straightforward way?
The old straightforward way allowed addons to inject code directly into mainline (top level tags) and this caused high interference in some cases (like the case where a certain UMC campaign broke a mainline campaign because it used a scenario of the same ID and loaded it all in top level). Another issue was several MP eras colliding with each other and causing friction between UMC authors themselves.

So, 1.16.x gets around it by deactivating inactive eras/mods/add-ons. This worked greatly for MP eras and modifications but Theme add-ons got affected adversely.
Later on, it was concluded that themes would be better loaded as consensual modifications (seems okay to me as it's more convenient now).

Also, there might be plans to overhaul how themes are coded or added in generate for 1.18.x (still 2 years away) but that depends on the UI Developer's time and contributions. Nothing concrete at this time. I think the new coming system will be easier for UMC authors to make their own themes and authors of existing theme addons will be contacted to be assisted in adapting their existing ones to new system.