Altered era/ruleset (AKA "Altera", for 1.16, 1.14, 1.12 and 1.10)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lea

Re: Altered era/ruleset

Post by lea »

lhybrideur wrote: March 18th, 2022, 8:08 pm Same problem with the other computer. Exact same error message.
Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1586 with AMD Ryzen 5 3550H
this is how error message looks like for me (when I delete \images\buttons\large\button-menu.png file):
errormsg.png
does it look similar for you?

also do you use non-admin user account in windows?
my guess is that Wesnoth fails to access \images\buttons\large\ folder on your devices (because of limited user permissions maybe) and tries to fall back to images from core resources (mainline)

here is how top panel looks like for me with 800x600 resolution after deleting "image" parameter from all three menu tags from ui-theme-larger-fonts.cfg file (attached):
toppanel.png
this workaround is ugly but seems to be fully functional
Attachments
ui-theme-larger-fonts.cfg
(13.99 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Last edited by lea on March 20th, 2022, 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
BlakerBR

Post by BlakerBR »

Hello lea,
first thank you for the mod, now on the issue I'm using Wesnoth 1.16.2 on Windows 11 Home 21H2 and this mod's 0.7.8 version, and I get a CTD whenever a Fey Grower is selected or targeted to attack, It was on my first match against the AI, Valons vs Feys, and did not have the time to test on other units aside some other Feys and Valons that did not cause a CTD.
lea

Post by lea »

BlakerBR wrote: March 20th, 2022, 12:40 am Hello lea,
first thank you for the mod, now on the issue I'm using Wesnoth 1.16.2 on Windows 11 Home 21H2 and this mod's 0.7.8 version, and I get a CTD whenever a Fey Grower is selected or targeted to attack, It was on my first match against the AI, Valons vs Feys, and did not have the time to test on other units aside some other Feys and Valons that did not cause a CTD.
CTD = crash to desktop?
do you have any .log files? see viewtopic.php?t=46166 for how to find them
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
BlakerBR

Post by BlakerBR »

lea wrote: March 20th, 2022, 11:57 am
BlakerBR wrote: March 20th, 2022, 12:40 am Hello lea,
CTD = crash to desktop?
do you have any .log files? see viewtopic.php?t=46166 for how to find them
Yes crash to desktop, here's a sample of the log file, this is after causing the CTD:
Spoiler:

If it's usefull, is there a way for me to send you the entire file? Because it is to big to put here in text.
lea

Post by lea »

BlakerBR wrote: March 20th, 2022, 1:30 pm If it's usefull, is there a way for me to send you the entire file? Because it is to big to put here in text.
if you open containing folder and delete all .log files there then on next run Wesnoth will create new .log file which is going to include only logs written since its creation and as such should be much smaller
also you can attach the file itself to your reply on this forum. to do that use full editor ("Full Editor and Preview" button at the bottom of forum topic wen you are logged in) and click "Add Files" button on "Attachments" tab right below text editing area, near "Options" tab
see bottom of this post of mine for how attached file looks like on this forum
viewtopic.php?p=672295#p672295

SPECIAL_NOTES is never used in Altered so this particular part of log file should be irrelevant

EDIT: managed to reproduce it under windows 10
selecting fey grower works fine for me but targeting it for attack does crash BfW 1.16.2 and 1.16.0, seemingly without producing any useful logs
it works correctly under BfW 1.14.17 and any older version of Wesnoth, as old as 1.10.7
added respective notes to first post of this forum topic
older versions of Wesnoth can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth/files/
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

lea wrote: March 19th, 2022, 7:29 am
lhybrideur wrote: March 18th, 2022, 8:08 pm Same problem with the other computer. Exact same error message.
Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1586 with AMD Ryzen 5 3550H
this is how error message looks like for me (when I delete \images\buttons\large\button-menu.png file):errormsg.pngdoes it look similar for you?

also do you use non-admin user account in windows?
my guess is that Wesnoth fails to access \images\buttons\large\ folder on your devices (because of limited user permissions maybe) and tries to fall back to images from core resources (mainline)

here is how top panel looks like for me with 800x600 resolution after deleting "image" parameter from all three menu tags from ui-theme-larger-fonts.cfg file (attached):
toppanel.pngthis workaround is ugly but seems to be fully functional
Hi lea,
I do not even get an error message. It directly makes BfW crash and quit.

I am not sure if I have a non-admin account on the Windows 10 Enterprise computer but I have an admin account on the Windows 10 Pro. If I run BfW as admin on the former I get the same problem.

My UI looks like that with your cfg file.
Attachments
Untitled.png
lea

Post by lea »

lhybrideur wrote: March 21st, 2022, 9:21 am My UI looks like that with your cfg file.
yes, that's how I expected it to look like, note overlapping "Menu" and "Actions" buttons

do you get crashes when targeting fey grower for attack? (as described above in BlakerBR's post and my response to it)

also would be nice if you can try to run "Altered era/ruleset" (even if only its UI theme with larger fonts) under any older version of Wesnoth (1.14.17 or older, as old as 1.10.7, official binaries are here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth/files/)

EDIT: attached ui-theme-larger-fonts.cfg without overlapping buttons (except in 1280x720 and similar-sized resolutions "end turn" button can overlap with rightmost indicator on top panel but resolution on your screenshot is obviously higher)
buttons are still thin (in vertical dimension) because they use mainline images and their size is derived from image size (that's how respective tags work in wesnoth's engine for UI themes)
Attachments
ui-theme-larger-fonts.cfg
(14.27 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

I do not get a crash with your cfg file. However I still get the background not resetting (see picture)

I have an error close to the one you show with 1.12 ("Error while playing the game:error initializing button image! file name: buttons/button-menu.png")
Attachments
Untitled.png
lea

Post by lea »

lhybrideur wrote: March 21st, 2022, 12:21 pm I do not get a crash with your cfg file. However I still get the background not resetting (see picture)
is it under Wesnoth 1.16.2?
IIRC I had this kind of issue except only for unit's side indicator (located above unit image in "ALtered Larger Fonts" UI theme) under Wesnoth 1.14.16 or 1.14.17
no idea how to work around it...
lhybrideur wrote: March 21st, 2022, 12:21 pm I have an error close to the one you show with 1.12 ("Error while playing the game:error initializing button image! file name: buttons/button-menu.png")
does it prevent UI theme from being used?
does it happen under any other version of Wesnoth?
BlakerBR

Post by BlakerBR »

lea wrote: March 21st, 2022, 6:37 am
BlakerBR wrote: March 20th, 2022, 1:30 pm If it's usefull, is there a way for me to send you the entire file? Because it is to big to put here in text.
if you open containing folder and delete all .log files there then on next run Wesnoth will create new .log file which is going to include only logs written since its creation and as such should be much smaller
also you can attach the file itself to your reply on this forum. to do that use full editor ("Full Editor and Preview" button at the bottom of forum topic wen you are logged in) and click "Add Files" button on "Attachments" tab right below text editing area, near "Options" tab
see bottom of this post of mine for how attached file looks like on this forum
viewtopic.php?p=672295#p672295

SPECIAL_NOTES is never used in Altered so this particular part of log file should be irrelevant

EDIT: managed to reproduce it under windows 10
selecting fey grower works fine for me but targeting it for attack does crash BfW 1.16.2 and 1.16.0, seemingly without producing any useful logs
it works correctly under BfW 1.14.17 and any older version of Wesnoth, as old as 1.10.7
added respective notes to first post of this forum topic
older versions of Wesnoth can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth/files/
Ok, did the same as the previous post and made sure that no other modifications were selected and the CTD still happened, the log file is smaller and did not look very helpful.
Attachments
wesnoth-20220321-132216-15064.log
(675 Bytes) Downloaded 59 times
lea

Post by lea »

BlakerBR wrote: March 21st, 2022, 4:27 pm ... ...
Ok, did the same as the previous post and made sure that no other modifications were selected and the CTD still happened, the log file is smaller and did not look very helpful.
thanks, going to try to pinpoint what quality of fey grower triggers this bug
meanwhile the best suggestion I can come up with is using Wesnoth 1.14.17 or older version...
lea

Post by lea »

hotfix version 0.7.8a is published for Wesnoth 1.16.x only
(older versions of BfW do not have this bug)

this version fixes (works around) following bug:
- under BfW 1.16.x targeting some units for attack (ones with delayed attack special) caused BfW to crash

this bug is described in more general way in this forum topic: viewtopic.php?p=672354
Last edited by lea on March 22nd, 2022, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

lea wrote: March 21st, 2022, 4:20 pm is it under Wesnoth 1.16.2?
No it is still 1.14.17, both on computer and phone
Yes and I have only tried with 1.12.
Should I try with 1.14.16 for example?
Last edited by lhybrideur on March 22nd, 2022, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
lea

Post by lea »

lhybrideur wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 9:01 am
Yes and I have only tried with 1.12.
Should I try with 1.14.16 for example?
would be helpful, if you have time to do it
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

I have the exact same behavior with 1.14.16 than with 1.14.17