top 10 best units

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: top 10 best units

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

This is usually used as an enemy boss. The player doesn't have access to it by default. You will probably not kill it without losing some high-level units, but it does have some weaknesses. Other, similar units are the Ancient Lich and Fire Dragon.
In the mainline campaign Winds of Fate, the player can get their Drake Burner leader, Gorlack levelled into an Armageddon Drake if they invest enough XP to him.

Also, Armageddon Drake >>> Fire Dragon
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
name

Post by name »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 29th, 2022, 1:31 pm Also, Armageddon Drake >>> Fire Dragon
This is more or less due to them only being one level apart and BfW using a mostly linear leveling system (where one level-five unit is roughly equal to five level-one units).

The current versions of DiD and WoF use a modified L7 or L8 equivalent Fire Dragon. I am thinking about pull requesting a move of those stats to the core Fire Dragon, making it officially a level eight monster. (Along with the necessary counter balancing changes to TRoW and SoF; this would actually really help The Dragon scenario in TRoW, since currently the real challenge comes from wading through all the saurian skirmishers, while the actual slaying of Shek'kahan is very easy.)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

The current versions of DiD and WoF use a modified L7 or L8 equivalent Fire Dragon. I am thinking about pull requesting a move of those stats to the core Fire Dragon, making it officially a level eight monster. (Along with the necessary counter balancing changes to TRoW and SoF; this would actually really help The Dragon scenario in TRoW, since currently the real challenge comes from wading through all the saurian skirmishers, while the actual slaying of Shek'kahan is very easy.)
you're missing out some MP changes as well. Fire Dragon is used in Dark Forecast, Undead Empire and many more places (survivals) so a stat boost only appears easy to do, but has more deeper complications involved.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
matto

Post by matto »

ulf...
DST#1 DST#2 DST#3

DST#4 Registration Open
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I forgot whether I already gave my own top 10 best units list. However had, after having played numerous wesnoth campaigns, and I have to say I love many units ... white mage for healing ... troll units in general for regeneration ... the dwarven steadfast thing which I think is one of the best tanks ....

I think my by far favourite unit is the elven ranger. I just love being able to sneak through forest tiles. It's so stylish! Elven marksman are great too but too squishy, and I really just love the ambush ability in forest tiles. Woes are fun and can ambush but they are too slow for my taste, whereas elven ranger is really just epic, in particular if you can level it up to unit level 4.

I guess as for "fodder" units I think regular spearman or elven fighters I prefer most. But if I just have to pick one overall great unit it is definitely the elven ranger.

Edit: Just scrolled back and saw I already gave a reply. Ok. Well this is an addon- then, my love message to elven ranger.

As for the ulfzerker ... my general gripe with it is with the underlying mechanic. I don't like the mechanic. In one campaign we have lesser berserk which I think is better, e. g. not have infinite hits but a set number. That is better, IMO. Ulfzerker can be super-useful in battle of course, since you can guarantee to break through lines, but it is just about the only game mechanic I dislike.

Slow is one of the coolest game mechanic on the other hand. It's super useful for tactical reasons too, in particular when healers have it.

Flying is also great, aka flying units in general. I love the wraith too - so great units, even though a bit squishy.
UK1

Post by UK1 »

For multiplayer:

1: Dark Adept. It is hands down the best offensive power per gold.

2: Orcish grunt. It is cheap, beefy, decent offense.

3: Cav. Mobile, relatively hard hitting, great resistances, great hp. What's not to love?!

4: Spearman. Cheap, good offense, ranged retal, solid HP.

5: Suarian Augur. The combination of magical offensive capability, healing, and GP price point make it a good unit.

6: Drake Burner. It is expensive, but high HP with fantastic ranged damage and decent melee retal. If you're a Drake and the enemy has a unit that absolutely needs to die with only three attack slots on it, you have a burner for that. Damage per GP is important, but sometimes damage per attack slot can be more important on certain maps.

8: Elvish fighter. It's on here for the same reasons as the spearman.

9: Wolf Rider. Decent scout, gets defensive bonuses unlike most cav. Decent price.

10: Bat. Would have been # 2 or 3 pre-nerf. A level 0 scout is great on its face for obvious reasons. You don't necessarily need the guys who are scouting and nabbing your villages to be beefy so why not have them be cheap and cost no upkeep? Genius.
"Hey you, bats should be nerfed."
"Why?"
"Because I lost a game to bat swarm and I'm bitterUhm... clarity... and... consistency? Yeah yeah that sounds good. Clarity and consistency."
Do not. Nerf. The bat.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

My top ten, speaking as someone who mostly plays campaigns, would be:

10. Walking Corpse - mostly here for its potential to snowball into an unstoppable undead horde. Top tier vibes.
9. Elvish Archer - a very good ranged attacker, let down slightly by reliance on piece damage.
8. Dwarvish Fighter - would be higher if not for its poor mobility. Very tanky and can use both blade and impact attacks effectively.
7. Wolf Rider - a decent calvary unit but it’s Pillager advancement is fantastic with its fire damage and ranged slows attack.
6. Ghost - not the best at level one but the advancements are all fantastic. Shadows are ruthless killers while Wraiths are surprisingly tanky.
5. Elvish Fighter - tough to kill and able to attack in both melee and ranger. Two strong lines of advancement.
4. Elvish Shaman - slows is such a useful weapon special, and the shaman also comes with either fantastic healing or fantastic blasting, depending on which advancements you take.
3. Mage - specifically for the White Mage line that provides healing and then illumination.
2. Spearman - one of the most reliable basic infantry units around. Cheap, good health, decent damage, and the first strike trait on the defensive.
1. Horseman - fantastic mobility and can do so much damage with a successful charge. Whenever I need to break an enemy line, they’re my go-to solution.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

There is only one unit in my top 10, of course: The peasant. We are the backbone of society, backbone of the economy. We work for all, we feed all (well, in lieu of an industrial working class in Irdya). And sometimes, we might just rise in revolt. Grr!

Honorable mention to the Merman Citizen, the common (wo)man of Mer-society, who is is "mostly peaceful". Peasants don't like war!