The Reign of the Lords

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

ForestDragon wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 8:00 am I don't think using Reign of the Lords with LotI together is a good idea, as Reign of the Lords lvl4-5 units don't have the powerful AMLAs that LotI ones do, so you'll end up pretty underleveled in later levels
I think it's been previously shown that these addons are not compatible. So, such a combination should be avoided.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Verbatov

Post by Verbatov »

lea wrote: July 31st, 2022, 2:52 pm mods make so much difference for you?
All mods like afterlife survival, laterlife, pick your recruitments and plan unit advance. The game is then much better than the standard game. Unfortunately, the developer has already forgotten about this mod, so it probably won't be developed any time soon.
Giannisell

Post by Giannisell »

Hi, is there a way to use this mod with campaings from the addons server? I tried return from the abyss and didn´t work. I just tried this one and I would like to play it with this mod if possible
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I believe it might work with campaigns that use standard units only. It will be unbalanced though.
wersz

Post by wersz »

Hi. I´m playing Ageless RPG era with this mod and there is a problem with a Merman Triton: he advances two times. First time, he advances back into himself and then the second time he advances into Merman Admiral. How can I fix this issue?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Giannisell wrote: September 6th, 2022, 1:29 am Hi, is there a way to use this mod with campaings from the addons server? I tried return from the abyss and didn´t work. I just tried this one and I would like to play it with this mod if possible
As Konrad said it definitely makes the game easier to have the high level advancements! However, it should work with any add-on campaign (except LoTI and other ones that offer completely different unit lists such as EoM).

I will go test it on Return from the Abyss and see why its not working. EDIT: it appears to work fully for all units (ex. enemies), but not for the dunefolk faction. Let me see if I can find the issue. EDIT 2: I found the error! Just need to find my password for the add-on and then will update it so it works! :D

(what version of wesnoth do you play?)
Shiki wrote: July 26th, 2022, 5:40 pm This add-on would profit a lot from switching to [modify_unit_type]. The [modification] will be compatible with more add-ons.
If I may ask, what exactly would you recommend that would allow it to be more compatible?
Last edited by The_Gnat on December 25th, 2022, 5:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

wersz wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 2:40 pm Hi. I´m playing Ageless RPG era with this mod and there is a problem with a Merman Triton: he advances two times. First time, he advances back into himself and then the second time he advances into Merman Admiral. How can I fix this issue?
Sorry about the inconvenience! May I ask, does this happen with any other Merman units?
wersz

Post by wersz »

No, every other Merman unit including Merman Hoplite worked as they should
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

wersz wrote: December 26th, 2022, 7:05 am No, every other Merman unit including Merman Hoplite worked as they should
Okay thank you!!! I think I have located the bug! What version are you playing (1.14)?
wersz

Post by wersz »

wersz

Post by wersz »

I downloaded the update but for some reason Merman Triton still advanced to Merman Triton. Then I looked which file was changed by the update and changed
["Merman Triton"] = { "ROLMerman Triton"},
to
["Merman Triton"] = { "ROLMerman Admiral"},
by myself. Now it works Image
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

The_Gnat wrote: December 25th, 2022, 4:57 am
Shiki wrote: July 26th, 2022, 5:40 pm This add-on would profit a lot from switching to [modify_unit_type]. The [modification] will be compatible with more add-ons.
If I may ask, what exactly would you recommend that would allow it to be more compatible?
Currently, the REPLACEMENT_EVENTS macro modifies the advances_to value of many units. This was in 1.14 a good way to do. As of 1.16 you could do:

Code: Select all

[modify_unit_type]
    type=Paladin
    add_advancement=ROLArcane Rider
    set_experience=195   # (optional)
[/modify_unit_type]
It has a few advantages:
  • Other add-ons can also modify the advancements.
  • The advancement change is visible in the help system.
  • Another trick in 1.14 was to use a dummy unit type, which was a copy of a mainline unit, except for the advances_to.
    • These duplicated unit_types are no longer needed … i.e. the first 174 units in base_units.cfg can be replaced by this.
    • When doing that, the mainline base unit does not need to be hidden with the [hide_help] tag.
    • This add-on does use this trick despite of REPLACEMENT_EVENTS doing roughly the same … [modify_unit_type] will cover the use cases of both, so the code for the [modification] and the [era] can be unified.
Try out the dark board theme.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

wersz wrote: December 27th, 2022, 4:19 am I downloaded the update but for some reason Merman Triton still advanced to Merman Triton. Then I looked which file was changed by the update and change by myself. Now it works Image
Great job!!! :D :D :D :D That was the error I have fixed on the addon as well!
Last edited by The_Gnat on January 5th, 2023, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Shiki wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 5:35 pm Currently, the REPLACEMENT_EVENTS macro modifies the advances_to value of many units. This was in 1.14 a good way to do. As of 1.16 you could do:

Code: Select all

[modify_unit_type]
    type=Paladin
    add_advancement=ROLArcane Rider
    set_experience=195   # (optional)
[/modify_unit_type]
It has a few advantages:
Excellent. I was doing all of the previous methods and they bring quite a few downsides. I will look to transition to modify_unit_type that seems very good.
Verbatov

Post by Verbatov »

@The_Gnat Hi :) I see you're finally back. What about the changes we talked about earlier? Are you going to develop the game on the old or new version? I noticed that many mods have not been converted to the new version because their creators have probably forgotten about them or are dead. In my opinion, it would be good not to let go of the old version because without some mods the game is not so good anymore :)