Addan-Shem's W's and WIP's

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Eagle_11

Re: Addan-Shem's W's and WIP's

Post by Eagle_11 »

Explorer advances into Mountaineer advances into Highlander, hmm i suppose this is the scout purpose unit line of your faction, perhaps you are planning different scout units with different movement types.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

:augh: :augh: :augh: :augh:
How did you get so damn good? it's not fair!
:cry:
This is a thread which I should leave alone because I have nothing useful to say here. I think that all your sprites look great which doesn't help you improve, but I can't really think of any criticisms, not even alternatives I could suggest which might not be any worse, I can't think of anything I could say which hasn't been said already.

All I can ask is why aren't you a major art contributor?
Seriously, there's a ton of female units (I'm not mentioning Saurians!) which could be added, there is always room for alternative animations and pictures and as for terrain and embellishments, well that's pretty much open-ended, isn't it?

I'm not saying "don't do your own thing and lock yourself away in a cell working constantly to produce sprites you feel no connection to", I'm saying that Wesnoth needs your own thing.

Well, that's just my feeling anyway.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Midnight_Carnival wrote::augh: :augh: :augh: :augh:
i think he was an experienced pixel-artist before and just joined the bfw community recently
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

those are so awesome ! please keep doing them :)
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

ForestDragon wrote:
Midnight_Carnival wrote::augh: :augh: :augh: :augh:
i think he was an experienced pixel-artist before and just joined the bfw community recently
Definitely. Click around in the various threads where people are just getting started, then look at the OP here. It's like you've stumbled into doofus-01's clone's terrain thread. The units are pretty incredible too.
AKA pydsigner
Current maintainer of The North Wind and author of Heroics Mode.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

pyndragon wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:i think he was an experienced pixel-artist before and just joined the bfw community recently
Definitely. Click around in the various threads where people are just getting started, then look at the OP here. It's like you've stumbled into doofus-01's clone's terrain thread. The units are pretty incredible too.
minor correction: "It's like you've stumbled into doofus-01's clone's terrain thread AND zerovirus's unit thread glued together"
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Addan-Shem

Post by Addan-Shem »

Eagle_11 wrote:Explorer advances into Mountaineer advances into Highlander, hmm i suppose this is the scout purpose unit line of your faction, perhaps you are planning different scout units with different movement types.
Hey, get out of my head! :D There will be some flying scouts and I'm thinking on a water subfaction with a scout as well. Sharkmen. Will try to make them as distinct from nagas and mermen as possible.
Eagle_11 wrote:those are so awesome ! please keep doing them
pyndragon wrote:It's like you've stumbled into doofus-01's clone's terrain thread. The units are pretty incredible too.
ForestDragon wrote:minor correction: "It's like you've stumbled into doofus-01's clone's terrain thread AND zerovirus's unit thread glued together"
Lack of praise is not something I could complain about here. :D Thank you!
Midnight_Carnival wrote:All I can ask is why aren't you a major art contributor?
I didn't have any time to make any sort of art. Never took my abilities seriously, either. Now that I have both time and ambition I want to see if I can improve and offer consistent results without losing interest. Creating something that can actually be used is, of course, a big plus here. I'll concentrate on finishing this faction for now, though, before trying something else.
ForestDragon wrote:i think he was an experienced pixel-artist before and just joined the bfw community recently
pyndragon wrote:Definitely. Click around in the various threads where people are just getting started, then look at the OP here.
Well, becoming a (somewhat) experienced pixel-artist is actually my goal here, for now I'm just an amateur perfectionist with a sudden surplus of free time. Discovered BfW years ago, but again, never had neither time, nor confidence in my skills to contribute or do any artwork for any reason for that matter.

Sob stories aside, here's the next batch of soldiers, this time it's the members of the elite Black Band, easily recognized by their blued steel armour. All are L2's.
black_band_preview.png
black_band_preview.png (400.27 KiB) Viewed 7883 times
Left to right: Black Guard, Black Trooper, Arquebusier (male and female)
Left to right: Black Guard, Black Trooper, Arquebusier (male and female)
black_band.png (9.51 KiB) Viewed 7883 times
Not particularly fond of the female variant's torso here, it's supposed to be a blouse with a corset. Perhaps altering her sleeves could help, but it's the sleeves I am very fond of, inspired by these guys. I'll take another look at her later.
[You read the signature and discover a link to this user's art workshop.]
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Addan-Shem wrote:
pyndragon wrote:Definitely. Click around in the various threads where people are just getting started, then look at the OP here.
Well, becoming a (somewhat) experienced pixel-artist is actually my goal here, for now I'm just an amateur perfectionist with a sudden surplus of free time.
you are HUGELY underestimating yourself here (you don't really know our standards here, which are, ehmmm, lets just say: mediocre), anyways, i already added your crossbowman as an optional advancement for loyalist bowman in my era
Addan-Shem wrote:Sob stories aside, here's the next batch of soldiers, this time it's the members of the elite Black Band, easily recognized by their blued steel armour. All are L2's.
black_band_preview.png
black_band.png
Not particularly fond of the female variant's torso here, it's supposed to be a blouse with a corset. Perhaps altering her sleeves could help, but it's the sleeves I am very fond of, inspired by these guys. I'll take another look at her later.
once again, these look awesome, i am sorry if i eventually run out of comments to praise you with :)

EDIT: btw, if i remember correctly, you said that you wanted to make an era (or a campaign) with these units, well, i am looking forward to that :)
Addan-Shem

Post by Addan-Shem »

ForestDragon wrote:you are HUGELY underestimating yourself here (you don't really know our standards here, which are, ehmmm, lets just say: mediocre)
Really? I know that in UMCs there are no guidelines concerning art, but I'm aiming for mainline standard, which, AFAIK, is rather high (especially the latest additions).
ForestDragon wrote:i already added your crossbowman as an optional advancement for loyalist bowman in my era
Nice, another incentive to start animating it sooner rather than later. :D
ForestDragon wrote:EDIT: btw, if i remember correctly, you said that you wanted to make an era (or a campaign) with these units, well, i am looking forward to that :)
I'll probably start with a standalone scenario to learn how to actually make something code-wise. All I know now is that it's basically a lot of text files that define everything and tie it together. :Awesome:

Also, lo and behold, the unit that started and basically inspired the whole faction-to-be: the Swashbuckler AKA the one with the most shades of blue. L2 of the main, trademark line.
swashbuckler_preview.png
swashbuckler_preview.png (259.77 KiB) Viewed 7849 times
swashbuckler.png
swashbuckler.png (2.87 KiB) Viewed 7849 times
Yes, I probably like this unit too much. :lol: But it was the first, got the most attention and it's sabre's handle was drawn perfectly(?) in one hand movement - a happy accident that sealed the deal. :D
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

Addan-Shem wrote: Really? I know that in UMCs there are no guidelines concerning art, but I'm aiming for mainline standard, which, AFAIK, is rather high (especially the latest additions).
Yes, the expectations of mainline are much higher these days than 10 years ago. But your sprites, at least with good critiquing from the mainline artists, holds the near promise of achieving that level.

Case in point:
Addan-Shem wrote: black_band.png
I looked at the Black Guard and immediately thought of how overdue the mainline Pikeman is for a new sprite. I think your sprite is closer to a level 3 style of ornateness, but I'd definitely encourage you to work on a variation to post in the mainline forum. You'll get better critique there as well, just by virtue of the artists working and overseeing there.

I will say that the Black Trooper seems rather too bulbous in certain aspects (the helmet and spear); however I'm not certain exactly how to address either of those perceptions.
AKA pydsigner
Current maintainer of The North Wind and author of Heroics Mode.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Addan-Shem wrote:I'm aiming for mainline standard, which, AFAIK, is rather high (especially the latest additions).
don't worry, you meeting them perfectly, all your loyalist-like faction units look pretty much the same quality as the new Cavalryman line (but the metal looks much shinier on your units)
Addan-Shem wrote:Nice, another incentive to start animating it sooner rather than later. :D
Addan-Shem wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:EDIT: btw, if i remember correctly, you said that you wanted to make an era (or a campaign) with these units, well, i am looking forward to that :)
I'll probably start with a standalone scenario to learn how to actually make something code-wise. All I know now is that it's basically a lot of text files that define everything and tie it together. :Awesome:
well, i been here for a few years and learned some coding, i guess i could make you a base for your addon if you wantm but i guess i'll rather do that when your factions are finished. we could make the addon together (you'll mostly make art, and i'll help with coding) how does that sound?
Addan-Shem wrote:Also, lo and behold, the unit that started and basically inspired the whole faction-to-be: the Swashbuckler AKA the one with the most shades of blue. L2 of the main, trademark line.
swashbuckler_preview.png
swashbuckler.png
Yes, I probably like this unit too much. :lol: But it was the first, got the most attention and it's sabre's handle was drawn perfectly(?) in one hand movement - a happy accident that sealed the deal. :D
you just keep getting better at this :D
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

pyndragon wrote:I looked at the Black Guard and immediately thought of how overdue the mainline Pikeman is for a new sprite.
There is already sleepwalkers sprite
pikeman.png
pikeman.png (1.84 KiB) Viewed 7808 times
but it hasen't been published yet (propably due to a lack of animation)

@Addan-Shem
Awesome sprites btw. Definitely as good, if not better, than most mainline units. I'd offer critique, but I can't find any obvious flaws with them.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

There is already sleepwalker's sprite
I can see that it requires an update,
its shoulderpad needs to get flattened, that noodle arm thickened, and some pixels on the helmet's opening tweaked to become both sides symmetrical looking.

@Addan-Shem
your guys have this nice spaniard look to them, at first i had imagine the Aracanese to be of such appearance, but then ended up using ceresian sprites for them in one of my addons, due to lack of anything else suitable. Looking forward to you completing the set since would like to revert that faction idea into how i had them originally intended to become.
Addan-Shem

Post by Addan-Shem »

Thanks for the positive comments, people!
pyndragon wrote:I looked at the Black Guard and immediately thought of how overdue the mainline Pikeman is for a new sprite. I think your sprite is closer to a level 3 style of ornateness, but I'd definitely encourage you to work on a variation to post in the mainline forum. You'll get better critique there as well, just by virtue of the artists working and overseeing there.
Vyncyn wrote:There is already sleepwalkers sprite
And it's the Sleepwalker's sprites that most of mine are based off anyway, basically redrawn on the same pose, that's why they look so good - the proportions and perspective are, as far as I can tell, spot on on the original. I'm working on a couple completely custom humanoid units, we'll see if I actually am all that good at this. :) Concerning the ornateness - the rationale is, these being private mercenaries, they can afford more bling earlier. Even L1's will have some golden elements.
pyndragon wrote:I will say that the Black Trooper seems rather too bulbous in certain aspects (the helmet and spear); however I'm not certain exactly how to address either of those perceptions.
The helmet I agree with, although if you meant the visor that's kinda the intended effect. I made a slimmer helmet variant for comparison (in the middle). It does seem better IMO. And that's not a spear. :D My preference for unique-looking weapons (or my failure to portray them) is an issue, apparently. Edited the mace (in the middle) and made an alternative option (on the right).
Do any of these look like maces?
Do any of these look like maces?
black_trooper_fixes_1.png (5.05 KiB) Viewed 7786 times
I hope at least the gun in his other hand is identifiable. :)
ForestDragon wrote:all your loyalist-like faction units look pretty much the same quality as the new Cavalryman line (but the metal looks much shinier on your units)
Thanks! I guess I'm nitpicking (which is exactly the form of criticism I'm looking for :D ), but are they really shinier? The Black Band guys - sure, that's because their armour is blued and thus high-contrast, but the regular soldiers?
shiny and chrome.png
shiny and chrome.png (8.96 KiB) Viewed 7786 times
ForestDragon wrote:well, i been here for a few years and learned some coding, i guess i could make you a base for your addon if you wantm but i guess i'll rather do that when your factions are finished. we could make the addon together (you'll mostly make art, and i'll help with coding) how does that sound?
That sounds great! Programming never was my thing, so this would really help. I agree that I should finish at least the baseframes first. It'll probably take a week or two (assuming there'll be no force majeures), along with some basic storyline/dialogue, then I'll look at the WML and I guess contact you via PM?
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Addan-Shem wrote:Do any of these look like maces?
I guess If you want to make a blunt weapon a dark outline would make it clearer. Even in your first version it looked like a mace to me, but I also see the spear-characteristics. The one on the right looks a bit like an axe.

Anyway, I made an alternative, hopefully macier-looking, macehead for you. If you want to do it yourself just ignore the spoiler.
Spoiler: