Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Addan-Shem's W's and WIP's

Post by beetlenaut »

Oh! It's blood. I didn't realize that either. Maybe if it spread out in little pools at the base that would make it clearer.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Addan-Shem

Post by Addan-Shem »

Paulomat4 wrote:The skeleton Outlines seem a bit too bright. Making them a tad darker might be good.
Yeah, perhaps "removing" the outlines like this was too cheap a move. Looks too thick. Seemed decent enough an hour ago. :D

Here's the one with the outlines:
skeleton_cross_ol.png
skeleton_cross_ol.png (3.62 KiB) Viewed 8147 times
skeleton_cross_ol_preview.png
skeleton_cross_ol_preview.png (30.26 KiB) Viewed 8115 times
Also, blood!
Attachments
jungle-temple-blood3-tile.png
jungle-temple-blood3-tile.png (17.17 KiB) Viewed 8147 times
jungle-temple-blood3.png
jungle-temple-blood3.png (9.18 KiB) Viewed 8147 times
Last edited by Addan-Shem on October 1st, 2016, 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[You read the signature and discover a link to this user's art workshop.]
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

the civilization that have built this temple would more than able to figure out to put an pool to gather the blood flowing down.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

May I suggest a bigger pyramid following the mountain logic? Basically counting as man made mountain.

In case you did not see it:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=42584&p=586156&hil ... id#p585915
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Addan-Shem wrote:I think this one's good enough to be considered finished.
The pyramids are nice, and this temple isn't bad, but I think the palette should be different from the sandy pyramids, it really pops out now. Maybe make it more of a very desaturated red? The blood could be very dark, where it is dried, until it is collected somewhere, like in a fountain? I guess it depends upon what you are trying to do.
Wussel wrote:May I suggest a bigger pyramid following the mountain logic? Basically counting as man made mountain.
I agree with this. Even if you don't like the ruined look of his temples, the overall design makes a lot of sense, to differentiate from a village. Of course, it depends upon what you are looking to do.

As for the skeletons, wasn't bearing the entire body-weight on the neck & shoulders supposed to be part of the torture of a crucifix? Bracing the legs apart seems odd, were these pregnant victims forced to carry demon-spawn, or something like that? That would be pretty sick, but, with blood temples and all, it could make sense.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Addan-Shem

Post by Addan-Shem »

Reddish hue does make it blend in better, thanks!
jungle-temple-red-final.png
jungle-temple-red-final.png (9.22 KiB) Viewed 7997 times
jungle-temple-red-final-ground.png
jungle-temple-red-final-ground.png (17.72 KiB) Viewed 7997 times
The blood is very much fresh and doesn't require collection because of these:
blood_spirits.png
blood_spirits.png (2.94 KiB) Viewed 7997 times
Are they decent? First completely custom sprite and all. Aiming for mainline quality. ATM these are level 0 "Blood Clot" and level 1 "Blood Sprite".
Wussel wrote:May I suggest a bigger pyramid following the mountain logic? Basically counting as man made mountain.
doofus-01 wrote:I agree with this. Even if you don't like the ruined look of his temples, the overall design makes a lot of sense, to differentiate from a village. Of course, it depends upon what you are looking to do.
Well, these are meant to be villages. :) But those pyramids look great, haven't seen them, will use as reference for next ones.
doofus-01 wrote:As for the skeletons, wasn't bearing the entire body-weight on the neck & shoulders supposed to be part of the torture of a crucifix? Bracing the legs apart seems odd, were these pregnant victims forced to carry demon-spawn, or something like that? That would be pretty sick, but, with blood temples and all, it could make sense.
Didn't think it through, but your justification works even better, thanks! :D
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Addan-Shem wrote:Are they decent? First completely custom sprite and all. Aiming for mainline quality. ATM these are level 0 "Blood Clot" and level 1 "Blood Sprite".
They look kind of sci-fi, lots of spheres. For the one that isn't floating, would it make sense to base it off the mainline mudcrawler? :hmm: Using that as a starting point might help them blend in with mainline units. The floating one looks OK, at least on the forum; "in game" is sometimes different.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Addan-Shem

Post by Addan-Shem »

Perhaps it's the lack of recognizable features that makes them not fit in too well... Made a rough draft of an alternate design.
blood_spirits_v2_wip.png
blood_spirits_v2_wip.png (11.51 KiB) Viewed 7961 times
And finished the baseframe for one of the faction's units, probably the most generic of the bunch. It's one of the three L2 advancement options for a L1 unit that'll be finished next. The faction theme is going to be XV-XVI century mercenary company with some anachronisms mixed in.
Attachments
We are not spearmen!
We are not spearmen!
preview.png (275.5 KiB) Viewed 7958 times
male and female
male and female
crossbows.png (3.26 KiB) Viewed 7958 times
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

reminds of Gascognean Crossbowmen or Genoan Pavise Archers. Nice, but will you animate them or you do only baseframes ?
Addan-Shem

Post by Addan-Shem »

I'll most likely animate at least some of them. I'll start whenever I get bored with drawing the baseframes. There are about 20 units in the works right now, with majority in a mostly finished state. In the end there probably will be about 30 baseframes in total, counting heroes and other campaign-only units. This endeavour being a fun exercise, I think chances of me finishing it are hi-- [disappears forever].

Here's that L1 I mentioned, armed with an ice tool and a javelin:
Attachments
We might be spearmen (if you squint).
We might be spearmen (if you squint).
preview2.png (252.41 KiB) Viewed 7949 times
male and female
male and female
explorer.png (3.05 KiB) Viewed 7949 times
Last edited by Addan-Shem on October 10th, 2016, 12:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

These loyalist-ish guys are looking really cool!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I agree, the explorers look good. But I am a bit confused about the non-spear hand and thigh: is that an axe or armor? If it is an axe, and you don't want to change the arm pose, you could make the axe-head (upper/front edge, at least) closer to vertical.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

there is that axe?,scythe? nope.. some weird gardener machete attached on an stick(?), some sort of trudgeon(??) in his non-spear hand that i can only recommend to swap for something more easily understandable, as doofus did point out.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Addam-Shem, i think you might be our next Zerovirus (if you don't know who he is, here's a link to his art thread:viewtopic.php?f=23&t=26185)
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Addan-Shem

Post by Addan-Shem »

shadowm wrote:These loyalist-ish guys are looking really cool!
Thanks!
doofus-01 wrote:I agree, the explorers look good. But I am a bit confused about the non-spear hand and thigh: is that an axe or armor? If it is an axe, and you don't want to change the arm pose, you could make the axe-head (upper/front edge, at least) closer to vertical.
Eagle_11 wrote:there is that axe?,scythe? nope.. some weird gardener machete attached on an stick(?), some sort of trudgeon(??) in his non-spear hand that i can only recommend to swap for something more easily understandable, as doofus did point out.
It's supposed to be an ice tool. I called it an ice pick in my original post first, but "ice tool" would be the more precise term (if one would trust Wikipedia).
Addan-Shem wrote:armed with an ice pick and a javelin
Apparently, nobody read it, but I changed it to "tool" now, just in case. :P

Otherwise, AFAIK, it might also be called both an ice axe and an ice pick. The unit will have an attack called "ice tool" in the game (if all goes well - with a custom icon as well), so, hopefully, it's not going to be too ambiguous. Picked this weapon exactly because it's unique. Of course, I could've just somewhat failed to represent it properly. I'll think on improvements, suggestions are welcome.

The higher level units of this line that keep the ice picks will have more discernable poses. Like this L3 one, for example (still a WIP, moving away from the original Vyncyn's frame):
We're wielding an ice tool and a pike pole.
We're wielding an ice tool and a pike pole.
highlander.png (4.96 KiB) Viewed 7858 times
ForestDragon wrote:Addam-Shem, i think you might be our next Zerovirus
Why, thank you, I find this high praise indeed! :o I have seen his works, as well as his progress over the years, it's inspiring.