Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ForestDragon

Re: Addan-Shem's W's and WIP's

Post by ForestDragon »

Addan-Shem wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:all your loyalist-like faction units look pretty much the same quality as the new Cavalryman line (but the metal looks much shinier on your units)
Thanks! I guess I'm nitpicking (which is exactly the form of criticism I'm looking for :D ), but are they really shinier? The Black Band guys - sure, that's because their armour is blued and thus high-contrast, but the regular soldiers?
shiny and chrome.png
yeah, i was talking about the Black Band folks, about regular soldiers, well i think their armor is the same as the cavalryman line (i didn't look at them for a while , so i may have forgotten a few things)
Addan-Shem wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:well, i been here for a few years and learned some coding, i guess i could make you a base for your addon if you wantm but i guess i'll rather do that when your factions are finished. we could make the addon together (you'll mostly make art, and i'll help with coding) how does that sound?
That sounds great! Programming never was my thing, so this would really help. I agree that I should finish at least the baseframes first. It'll probably take a week or two (assuming there'll be no force majeures), along with some basic storyline/dialogue, then I'll look at the WML and I guess contact you via PM?
alright :D yeah, we'll be mostly talking about that sort of thing via PM, btw, looking forward to your meso-american-ish faction (they probably could have Blood Spirits and maybe some kind of Blood Shamans too)
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

Addan-Shem wrote: And it's the Sleepwalker's sprites that most of mine are based off anyway, basically redrawn on the same pose, that's why they look so good - the proportions and perspective are, as far as I can tell, spot on on the original.
I figured that might be the case after I went and compared to the new cavalry and found that the horse took the exact same pose and chest armor shape.
Addan-Shem wrote: I'm working on a couple completely custom humanoid units, we'll see if I actually am all that good at this. :)
Yes we will :D
Addan-Shem wrote: And that's not a spear. :D My preference for unique-looking weapons (or my failure to portray them) is an issue, apparently. Edited the mace (in the middle) and made an alternative option (on the right).
I see it now, but I think you can do better still. Vyncyn's comment I think is on point, but stronger angles will help too. Take a look at the outline of the mace attack icon — it has convex faces making a sort of hexagonal solid; yours could gain more of this look by being squattier, and possibly by being rotated so that the lobe facing the viewer casts more shadow on the face.
heavy infantry in 1.13:
Addan-Shem wrote:
I hope at least the gun in his other hand is identifiable. :)
Yes, it is. Looks nice and has the right blunderbuss style for the time period you're... um... gunning for.
Last edited by pyndragon on April 27th, 2017, 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AKA pydsigner
Current maintainer of The North Wind and author of Heroics Mode.
Addan-Shem

Post by Addan-Shem »

Thanks for the advice, guys!
pyndragon wrote:[...]
It seems there was some quote tag malfunction in your last post there. :geek:

Made another attempt at portraying the mace, altered a bunch of other things, too. Still a WIP.
new / old
new / old
black_trooper_fixes_2.png (5.32 KiB) Viewed 8074 times
A sneak peek of another piece I'm working on for the future campaign:
map_sneak_peek.png
[There was a hot air balloon here as well, but it flew away...]
Last edited by Addan-Shem on October 28th, 2016, 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[You read the signature and discover a link to this user's art workshop.]
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

You can darken the horse' forehead armor plate thing, its too shiny.
Also you dont necessarily have to copy the metal colors of mainline, an armor can be blackened too, as in your first iteration.
hot air baloon: you could expand the box downwards an bit, giving just enough space so an spotter guy's head and maybe one arm fits in there.
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

Addan-Shem wrote: Made another attempt at portraying the mace, altered a bunch of other things, too. Still a WIP.
black_trooper_fixes_2.png
I like this concept quite a bit more. Overall it gives a much more impactful feel to my eye.
Addan-Shem wrote: A sneak peek of another piece I'm working on for the future campaign:
map_sneak_peek.png
I'm not going to put in a request for this style to go mainline, but I really like what you have going on here. The colors are very pleasing, the aesthetic is gloriously clean while maintaining that handmade feel, and overall it's very well drawn. The only downside is the lack of contrast between the water and the land, but I think that goes with the territory in this case.
AKA pydsigner
Current maintainer of The North Wind and author of Heroics Mode.
Addan-Shem

Post by Addan-Shem »

Eagle_11 wrote:You can darken the horse' forehead armor plate thing, its too shiny.
Also you dont necessarily have to copy the metal colors of mainline, an armor can be blackened too, as in your first iteration.
I will work on it some more. :)
Eagle_11 wrote:hot air baloon: you could expand the box downwards an bit, giving just enough space so an spotter guy's head and maybe one arm fits in there.
Yes, but it has the wrong scale for that. Maybe I'll change my mind one day and do something with it.
pyndragon wrote:I like this concept quite a bit more. Overall it gives a much more impactful feel to my eye.
[...]
I'm not going to put in a request for this style to go mainline, but I really like what you have going on here. The colors are very pleasing, the aesthetic is gloriously clean while maintaining that handmade feel, and overall it's very well drawn. The only downside is the lack of contrast between the water and the land, but I think that goes with the territory in this case.
Thanks! Switched my attention from pixel art and was instantly hit by inspiration, I guess it shows. :D Yes, it's supposed to be a common sailor's map, so it's basically only the coastline that matters. Maybe I'll invent a bunch of small but notable fishing villages along the shore for credibility, AFAIK nobody has done that before.

Here's another peek of another map, more fancy this one:
There are no spoilers here:
Addan-Shem

Post by Addan-Shem »

Saw Blarumyrran's new tentacle of the deep and a couple hours later ended up with this:
deep_one_preview.png
deep_one_preview.png (80.66 KiB) Viewed 7973 times
updated
updated
deep-one.png (3.84 KiB) Viewed 7940 times
updated
updated
deep-one-attack.png (3.85 KiB) Viewed 7940 times
No idea how I'll make the ripples for now, although they wouldn't fit in a hex, anyway. Still can see a few places that need improvement/fixes.

EDIT: Some fixes implemented.
Addan-Shem

Post by Addan-Shem »

So, I promised a completely custom humanoid unit. I present to you the wavedancer:
Other farmers never understood her passion. Unfortunately, Alwyn's homeland was landlocked.
Other farmers never understood her passion. Unfortunately, Alwyn's homeland was landlocked.
wd_w_preview.png (35.23 KiB) Viewed 7922 times
wavedancer.png
wavedancer.png (2.44 KiB) Viewed 7922 times
This is the baseframe for water movement, on land she'll need another one. AFAIK she needs a custom code to offset her position so she's floating on the water rather than sitting in it. Just as the deep one in the previous post needs custom code not to go to land tiles. I guess the tentacle of the deep has something similar.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Addan-Shem wrote: This is the baseframe for water movement, on land she'll need another one. AFAIK she needs a custom code to offset her position so she's floating on the water rather than sitting in it. Just as the deep one in the previous post needs custom code not to go to land tiles. I guess the tentacle of the deep has something similar.
The tentacle of the deep has movement type 'float', wich is only defined for water tiles and thus prevents movement on land.
The wavedancer seems to float without any special code.
wavedancer.png
wavedancer.png (8.91 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
Addan-Shem

Post by Addan-Shem »

Strange, for me it's like this. Version 1.13.5. Maybe because it's actually a spearman? But what unit did you use then? :hmm:
Attachments
water.png
water.png (24.87 KiB) Viewed 7889 times
Durin_the_great

Post by Durin_the_great »

Hi

I scanned through your artwork and it's really great. I especially like the sprites of loyalist units. They remind me so much of what I call "the pure middle-ages", that is England, France and nearby states in XI-XVI century. Are you planning to create an era or something?

Keep it up!

Yours

Durin
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Addan-Shem wrote:Strange, for me it's like this. Version 1.13.5. Maybe because it's actually a spearman? But what unit did you use then? :hmm:
Alright I did some testing. It should work If you have "flies=true" in the movetype or in the cgf file of the unit.
Addan-Shem

Post by Addan-Shem »

Durin_the_great wrote:Are you planning to create an era or something?

Keep it up!
I'm making a campaign, but if I am correct in my understanding that an era is just a more streamlined set of campaign units for several factions to be played in multiplayer (haven't played a single match, I'm afraid), it shouldn't be difficult to make an era along the way as well. I guess it's either going to be two factions to fight each other or a combined new faction to stand against the default ones. Balancing will be a nightmare, I presume. :D

If anyone's interested, the campaign development is progressing well (as far as images and text goes). The plot, scenario scripts, dialogues, intros and outros, unit, character and faction descriptions and other lore minutiae - everything is already conceived and being fleshed out. Baseframes are taking a bit longer than planned due to their count increasing from 30 to about 50, I'd say half of them are ready. Trying to cut the corners where possible, the intention is so that no unit is going to be there without being useful, unique, faction appropriate and preferably plot relevant.
Vyncyn wrote:Alright I did some testing. It should work If you have "flies=true" in the movetype or in the cgf file of the unit.
This information will come in handy when I'll start implementing the units, thanks! Hopefully I'll begin this week already. :)

Wish I could show some more units, but so far I'm out of finished non-spoiling ones and showing unfinished (imperfect! :D ) stuff makes me cringe. I am working on (more) proper attack and defense animations for the deep one as well, but it's tedious and thus not going along too fast.

Oh, and in an attempt to make it quicker I tried to cobble together some story art out of free images, but so far found only one that looked like it can be useful. I think you can't readily tell if the end result is a photo or a digital art piece, which was my intention.
Attachments
desert.jpg
Addan-Shem

Post by Addan-Shem »

Another unit, made using this one.

[Obsolete.]
Last edited by Addan-Shem on October 29th, 2016, 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Looks very good as well, though I find her dress to be shaded a bit too dark. :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl