Return from the Abyss [SP campaign for 1.12/1.14]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gofio

Re: Return from the Abyss [SP campaign for 1.12/1.13]

Post by Gofio »

Many thanks, it works now!

So far, a very good campaign.
Gofio

Post by Gofio »

I got another error, this time with "The forest of the crossing paths":

Spoiler:
I'm playing with 1.14.2 (Ubuntu).

Campaign version 1.1.5
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

fixed, thanks! I also realized that portraits/images in that same dialog were not displayed correctly.
Gofio

Post by Gofio »

Thanks! With the savegame I still get the same error, so probably, I will have to start the scenario from the beginning.

Didn't know they were portraits/images too.
haizaar

Post by haizaar »

skeptical_troll wrote: June 15th, 2018, 10:18 pm fixed, thanks! I also realized that portraits/images in that same dialog were not displayed correctly.
1.1.6 Fixes this indeed. Thanks!

I confirm that the saves remain broken though - need to restart the scenario. Is there a way to fix the broken save? (I don't mind editing it, or, e.g. copying parts of the working save into it)
haizaar

Post by haizaar »

haizaar wrote: June 16th, 2018, 2:48 pm Is there a way to fix the save?
Attached is the patch for save file that can give an idea of what's need to be fixed (just compared working and broken save). Tavern mercenaries portraits still do not work, but I managed to see the dwarf (the tavern master) and hire some guys :)
Attachments
save.patch
(6.62 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
Gofio

Post by Gofio »

I replayed the scenario and everything is working now.

Many thanks again.
haizaar

Post by haizaar »

New issue here after finishing The Die is Cast scenario (in 3 turnes, FF on debug), the Epilogue can't be loaded: "The game map could not be loaded: Unknown tile in map...". Please see the screenshot below. The campaign version 1.1.6.
Selection_853.png
skeptical_troll

haizaar wrote: June 18th, 2018, 5:43 am the Epilogue can't be loaded: "The game map could not be loaded: Unknown tile in map...". Please see the screenshot below.
right, some more terrain code was changed. fixed it now! Hope you managed to find a way to fix savefiles, I've never done it myself.
haizaar

Post by haizaar »

Thanks for the quick fix! 1.1.7 fixes this indeed!

Yes, I fixed the saves - diff'ed the good and the bad one; and patched.
Gofio

Re: Return from the Abyss [SP campaign for 1.12/1.14]

Post by Gofio »

Nice campaign, I'm enjoy it a lot playing.

I found something weird:

Spoiler:
And another error message:

Spoiler:
skeptical_troll

Ah concerning the first problem, I forgot to add the AMLA to the unit (1 is still the max level). I'm surprised though that you see increased damage for XP > 40, are you sure the unit isn't simply strong? It's also quite a rare occurrence that you get to convert a dog, I thought that it would almost never happen! :)
As for the second error, do you have a savefile for the relevant turn? That would help me debugging the problem.
Thanks!
Gofio

Post by Gofio »

You are right, they do more damage when adjacent to Ahlir :oops: And about Molossus conversion, happened twice to me ;)

I'm not sure if I saved last turn, I'll have a look. I think one unit was "travelling" from the south to the north when I completed the scenario.
Edit: It was that. Using the replay until last turn and allowing that unit to reach the north before finish the scenario, the error message is gone.
marecki

Post by marecki »

You've done amazing work on this campaign. Just finished it (v1.1.0b, BfW 1.12.6, hard) and had a great time. Some scenarios were really challenging, especially The Old Castle. I restarted, positioned the miners at the two spawn points and rushed the rest. It feels kind of bad, winning by relying on prior knowledge of the map, but apparently I suck too much to beat it the proper way. Another tough spot was The Orcs Strike Back, because of the sheer amount of incoming damage from the human side and very limited healing options. Healing for the most part was restricted and, while I understand the reasoning behind this approach, it could be rather frustrating at times (I would suggest at least giving Falawee +4 heal). Some parts dragged a bit (Path to Light, Sewers), but that's just my pet peeve with long-ass dungeon crawls in Wesnoth.

Neat idea with different map layers - Assault at the Border in particular was admirably designed - I'm surprised we don't see more of that in UMCs.
In Forest of the Crossing Paths, the optional objective of seeking help in the woods seems like a hassle, there's no reason to pursue it. I was playing conservatively, but even though I sent troops southeast and actually completed the goblin quest, I still finished before I could get anything out of it.

Story is interesting and well-paced across the levels and dialogues do a good job of conveying it. There are typos here and there, but I'm just going to point out one, which I found quite funny. In the Epilogue:
Khafir: "(...) yet it's hard to accept that you must live." *stabs Ahlir* :)

Thank you for making such an excellent campaign.
skeptical_troll

Gofio wrote: June 19th, 2018, 11:24 pm I'm not sure if I saved last turn, I'll have a look. I think one unit was "travelling" from the south to the north when I completed the scenario.
Edit: It was that. Using the replay until last turn and allowing that unit to reach the north before finish the scenario, the error message is gone.
Ok, I think I managed to fix it. Apparently the order in which events are triggered is now changed compared to previous versions, so the variable was cleared before being unstored.
marecki wrote: June 26th, 2018, 7:41 pm Healing for the most part was restricted and, while I understand the reasoning behind this approach, it could be rather frustrating at times (I would suggest at least giving Falawee +4 heal).
I actually like this idea, Falaweè can already cure, but that's almost useless ATM, so a +4 healing can make things more interesting without affecting balance too much. It's implemented in the new version.
marecki wrote: June 26th, 2018, 7:41 pm In Forest of the Crossing Paths, the optional objective of seeking help in the woods seems like a hassle, there's no reason to pursue it.
This is a comment several people made, so it's something I'd definitely like to address, but it will take some time to find a sensible solution.
marecki wrote: June 26th, 2018, 7:41 pm There are typos here and there, but I'm just going to point out one, which I found quite funny. In the Epilogue:
Khafir: "(...) yet it's hard to accept that you must live." *stabs Ahlir*
:lol: :lol: :lol: I should make an alternative ending then... Jokes aside, this was already corrected in the version for 1.14, unfortunately I'm leaving a bit behind the campaign in 1.12. :oops: