Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Under the Burning Suns

Post by doofus-01 »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:1. I was playing with the new elf units. The art and design for these are great, it occasionally leads to a different style of play which is refreshing. But where are the nice new portraits?
The portraits are being worked on, don't worry. If anyone is wondering, any revenue from mobile apps that we get is being put into commissions for such portraits, or animations for mainline units, if it isn't being spent to keep servers running.
Bob_The_Mighty wrote: 8. Due to terrain and movement costs my scouts could never scout. This job always fell to my flying healers which were much more mobile in every situation. I love the Tourach riders, but the scouts seemed a bit pointless in comparison.
This is good to know; hopefully there is a slight adjustment that would make the scouts more useful? Changing the shallow water movement, for example? Is the "disengage" ability a bit low-value, like "first-strike"? It was a new idea, but maybe it doesn't pan out. :hmm:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Disengage is a bit low-value I suppose, but it's a nice ability. I sometimes forgot about it, but I did manage to pull off a few tricks when I set out to use it properly. It's fine, especially in the context of all the other abilities in the faction. Of course, if their movement costs changed it might become even more useful. I'd say scouts should excel in at least one of the difficult terrains you often encounter. Caves or mountains would probably make most sense. Maybe leave water for the fliers and nerf their cave movement? (No room to spread their wings...)

Leadership on the Tourach wasn't that much use as they aren't very mobile and you can get usually a bigger bonus from Kaleh or Nym.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

On the second scenario exploring the desert, I received this message:

<Invalid WML found> [on_redo] not supported

After a sun shaman attacked a ghost at night with faerie fire.

It seems to be coming from abilities.cfg, where it appears twice in relation to healing.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I just saw this comment:
doofus-01 wrote: February 11th, 2018, 6:20 amIs the "disengage" ability a bit low-value, like "first-strike"? It was a new idea, but maybe it doesn't pan out.
Disengage is fun. But, I've actually suggested removing slows from the level-1 scout (making it available at level 2 only) because disengage is almost too good. You can often attempt to slow a unit without worrying about what retaliation you would get if it didn't work. You also don't have to choose between attacking and moving next to a healer, so it's not hard to keep scouts alive. Aside from my veteran air force, I pretty much just spammed scouts for the whole campaign and won handily (on hard, of course).
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

I discovered a pretty bad bug using 1.13.11. On the final battle, Kaleh disappeared, and I couldn't command him to attack, although hovering over his place let me see his stats and others could attack him and do/receive damage.

Also, Nym dies without the game ending.
Attachments
UtBS-The Final Confrontation replay.gz
(40.61 KiB) Downloaded 666 times
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

MathBrush wrote: March 5th, 2018, 3:03 amI discovered a pretty bad bug using 1.13.11. On the final battle, Kaleh disappeared, and I couldn't command him to attack, although hovering over his place let me see his stats and others could attack him and do/receive damage.
I downloaded the replay, and this didn't happen. I was able to continue the scenario without problems. So maybe it is fixed already. (My version is a little farther along than 1.13.11.) Or maybe the cause is not just the scenario, but how it is played exactly.
MathBrush wrote: March 5th, 2018, 3:03 amAlso, Nym dies without the game ending.
This is intentional. According to the objectives, only Kaleh has to survive this scenario.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

If you don't see it, it might be due to my add-ons. I have Ashen Hearts and my own two campaigns. One of them probably conflicted with it. Thanks for checking!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The dialogues might need a rework regarding specific mentions of your units.
So far I've only played the first scenario (1.13.11) and when the Necromancer arrives Garak said, that their (elvish) hunters make short work of the skeletons. The new Quenoth elves do not have this kind of hunters.

EDIT: Scenario 2
'Vengeful Lord' (Wraith) speaks to Garak and calls him 'elf with the bow' which isn't fitting anymore. ._.

EDIT 2: Scenario 2
Objectives do not update after killing the Outlaw leader

EDIT 3: Scenario 5
That dwarf knowing the Quenoth because of their blond hair as elves is really funny. xD
I allied with the dwarves.
A troll flame caster went to 43,20 (that's in the dwarvish side) which I believe is not intended. I'm pretty sure it should be 43,29 making this a typo. (That bug is about 3 years old. Probably older. ._.)
UtBS-A Subterranean Struggle Turn 10.gz
Troll Flamecaster got lost
(120.54 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
EDIT 4: Scenario 5
I somehow managed to trigger the start of the war twice..? I have no idea how.
UtBS-A Subterranean Struggle-Auto-Save10.gz
Uhm. Wut.
(131.17 KiB) Downloaded 691 times
...apparently every event is being reset by reloading a save file..? Somehow.
EDIT 5: That last bug seems to be 1.13.11 related.
Last edited by Konrad2 on May 8th, 2018, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

I waited too long to play UtBS with the new units. I played it on BfW 1.13.13 on Challenging difficulty. Here’s my feedback.

Scenario 1 - After The necromancer shows up, Garak says “our elvish hunters can easily defeat…” . This needs to be replaced by something from the new unit line, since elvish hunters are no longer usable. It was a very easy scenario. Turn 20/32
Scenario 2 – Recruited 1 full camp of troops. Fought everyone. Gave holy water to a warrrior. Dehydration makes the enemies even easier to beat. Turn 46/60. End of scenario elyssa calls the sceptre of fire a “magic wand”, I think staff would be a better term to use.
Scenario 3 – Zhul says to garak, lay down your bow and let your sword shine. But the Quenoth champion has neither. Also recapturing a village after the undead captured it gives a <Invalid WML found> [on_redo] not supported line. This line keeps appearing randomly when my units move on later turns throughout the rest of the campaign. All it does is prevent me from undoing moves :roll:
Scenario 4 –This scenario was great. The first half was easy when the enemies were in broad daylight, but inside the tunnels it was a lot harder. Almost got a hero killed off by the orcs underground. Turn 41/48.
Scenario 5 – In first attempt my troll allies kept occupying the keep hex. I could not recruit anything and thus was defeated on turn 13. In second attempt I recruited and recalled a large army and slowly pushed the dwarves back. Turn 28/43.
Scenario 6 (fighting dwarves) Easy enough scenario. Gave the belt to zhul. turn 43/58
Scenario 8 – Keratur says he saw some necromancers torture some humans, one of whom had flaming red hair and was beautiful(bet he has a crush on her :whistle: ) The description matches that of elyssa. But elyssa was with them until recently when she separated at the troll stronghold. Am I missing something here? Anyway, farmed messengers twice for exp and then killed enemy leader. Turn 50/68
Scenario 9 – If you rescue all the merfolk after defeating all enemy leaders then a necromancer named Hekuba shows up and starts to execute plan C. In this dialogue Hekuba has a female portrait. But after defeating Tanstafaal, hekuba shows up again and this time it’s a male necro. Anyway, took me 14 turns to rescue all merfolk. I could have done it in turn 12, but then the enemy leaders flee, and I wanted to kill them all first.Tried to rush through the scenario but lost some time walking back and forth. Turn 43/54
Scenario 11 – Recalled three castles of veterans and smashed all enemies. The new unit lines made this battle much easier than before. I remember this battle could get nasty with the old elves. Defeated all enemy leaders before opening the citadel. The loyal dust devil died here.. (it was a great unit.) Turn 25/40
Scenario 12 – Easy Boss fight. Turn 6

I’m glad that the best mainline campaign has gotten even better. Everything is just perfect in this campaign and I never tire of replaying it. The writing is stellar, and Kaleh is probably the best leader out of all the campaigns. The new units are lovely and I cant wait for the new stable release to come out, with all the beautiful portraits. Once it does I plan to replay UtBS again, this time on nightmare.

One thing, Quenoth Warriors and champions have the dextrous trait in their help section. The dextrous should be removed since quenoth fighters don’t have the dextrous trait and cant use it anyways.

I am willing to upload all my scenario replays and fill out the scenario review forms on each scenario if u guys want me to. :)
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

Just did a playthrough of this in 1.14 - enjoyed the new units and art (put comments in the other forum)

One more general thing -

I was hoping that maybe, now the dunefolk have been mainlined, they might be written in to some of the existing mainline campaigns here or there - I thought maybe UtBS would be the place to look for them, with the desert setting, and already some human antagonists (currently rather vanilla chaotic outlaw, etc bands, or rather vanilla evil loyalists). Putting the dunefolk in to one or other of those slots would be rather interesting - any chance we might see them soon making appearances in this or any other mainline campaign?
gwrnarkn

Post by gwrnarkn »

I'm playing this right now on nightmare (with only some vague memories of how the old campaign went to go by).
I'm at scenario 3 and really really loving the faction so far, it's full of interesting abilities and it looks really cool too (i'f i'm being honest, much better than the dunefolk). Nightmare might be a little too easy though - as a comparison, i haven't been able to get past the second scenario in "Son of the Black Eye"'s nightmare despite a dozen attempts. Will report on this later.
For now, i would just say:
-I have immense trouble telling the 2 protagonists apart when scanning the battlefield, they look basically identical. They don't even get a different class name regardless of advancement choice, so i have to specifically look for the name of the unit (something i'm trained to ignore in wesnoth as it usually tells you nothing). Some kind of eye-catchign detail/colour would be welcome.

-"Teaching" is cool, but basically breaks the risk-reward aspect of wesnoth as far as leveling units goes, it allows you to absord all risk of engagement with a strong ready-made lvl 3 melee and level up all your units by consequence without the need of direct confrontation (not even the last hit). This is part of how i got an army of level 2s +few 3s by scenario 3. I would give the ability some "overhead" cost (like, redistribute only 60% of gained exp) so that it's not a no-brainer. It might also help balancing the general difficulty.

-i'm tempted to say the mounted javelineer are op due to being basically a moving tank with ranged dps, but they might simply happen to be the perfect unit of choice for the long slow walk through the desert in scenario 2, where you'll want to stay grouped around healers anyway due to dehydration.

edit: scenario 3 was extremely easy. I don't think i lost a single unit, my army of lvl 2 taurochs quickly overwhelmed both undead leaders with some help from 2 bolas (i'm realizing the hunter path is amazing) and 2 fire units, closing it around the time the orcs appear. I did risk losing the mage when making the last push as i was unable to finish the lich off when i counted to, but he did not attack out of fear of dying himself.
Still, when undead are around i really can't see a reason to recruit anything but taurochs and some shamans (very hard to level but super strong once they get fire). I also did not spend a good 100+ of my gold.

Unfortunately I did not save a replay from my first scenario, but it was not even optimal. After the first half kind of randomly walking around trying to keep people alive, I started to understand how to use the units and basically abused the teacher lvl 3 guy (with 1 "bodyguard" for that sweet 70% def) while zoning eveyone out of wounded units with taurochs. I do have a replay from scenario 2 (restarted once) and 3 (passed on first try), will add them.
Attachments
UtBS-Across the Harsh Sands replay.gz
(56.63 KiB) Downloaded 668 times
UtBS-A Stirring in the Night replay.gz
(45.14 KiB) Downloaded 625 times
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

I'm not sure if I can play this game at all anymore without looking for typos :lol:

Any way, here we go, had great fun with the new units!

Scenario 8 line 3379: "Your dare defy me?!" -> "You dare defy me?!"

Scenario 9 line 2343: I don't know why the Game chose Esanoo to speak here (I had all merman alive, though he was closest to the iron councils isle), but if he is the one speaking, this line has a continuity error as the merman speaks of being taken to the isle multiple times for interrogation - Esanoo was never captured though. Also, if alive, it would make the most sense to have these lines spoken be the merfolks leader.
(similarly for line 2768 -> sounds strange if anyone other than the priestess or enchantress says that)

Scenario 10 line 268: "Now, as I was saying the Empire" -> comma after saying

Scenario 10 line 1435: "come out in half a hour" -> pretty sure it should be "half an hour"

Edit: Oh, and one thing that felt strange to me: The plural for dustbok used early on in the campaign is "dustboks" - I would have expected it to be an irregular "dustbok". Not sure if that matters though...

Edit 2: At some points (mostly at the end of scenario 8, I think), Nym retakes the role of a scout (which was her previous unit identity) while it is said that Kaleh could not do those things. This sounds rather weird, now that they are basically completely the same unit and Kaleh can take the ranger advancements too. (The distinction is also not often made at other points in the campaign - so you play with two identical units until in scenario 8 you suddenly get told: Well this one, he's the leaderly guy sitting behind the frontlines, while this other one, she's the sneaky scout.)
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
MyrddinEmrys

Post by MyrddinEmrys »

I played the campaign on Normal difficulty (version 1.14.5), and I must say it's probably my favourite of all the mainline campaigns. Here are some things I noticed:
  • Is it intended that the formation ability only works on offense? If so, I think that should be stated in the ability's description.
  • As was already mentioned several times in this thread, Garak's berserk ability in scenario 3 didn't work. Having in mind the semi-reliable results from formation (see above), I just assumed it was broken, and never even considered that it might only be enabled against certain units (the undead champions). Somehow hinting at this would be nice (e.g. by having him say something along the lines of "I came to challenge a champion, not some pathetic pile of bones, let me through!" when he attacks a normal undead recruit). Or just generally enable the berserk?
  • In scenario 6b (Domain of the Dwarves), the message stating that the speaker sees something moving under the lake surface only appeared after I killed all the tentacles. I think this is due to the first unit that entered the lake, being a flying one, entering the tentacle-infested area without first entering the hex specified for the message.
  • In the same scenario, the talking dwarvish guards differentiate only between elves and trolls. But of course, the first unit they saw just had to be the Dust Devil, which they held for a troll :lol: The same could have happened with Elyssa, but that is only a minor thing in my opinion, as you likely have trolls with you and, applying Wesnoth logic about who can see/hear whom from where, they could just have meant those, or the "You're right" could just mean intruders in general.
TyBonzer
Translator

Post by TyBonzer »

Konrad2 wrote: April 19th, 2019, 10:21 am
TyBonzer wrote: April 19th, 2019, 9:45 am I found some missing info:
In the campaign-selection screen, UtBS is the only campaign where the 'expert level, 11 scenarios'-text is missing.
Can this be added?
Would you mind posting a screenshot of this? Because for me it isn't missing. (It's 10 scenarios btw.)
Im getting crazy i guess, it isn't missing for me anymore, or never was i guess but I missed it so badly that I even posted about it.
But, it's fixed for me now (wth i don't believe myself anymore)
Thanks for your quick response btw!
greetings
sergey

Post by sergey »

TyBonzer wrote: April 19th, 2019, 9:45 am I found some missing info:
In the campaign-selection screen, UtBS is the only campaign where the 'expert level, 11 scenarios'-text is missing.
Can this be added?
I have the same bug for "Under the Burning Suns" and "A Tale of Two Brothers", screenshots are attached. Windows 10, Wesnoth 1.14.6. I looked into the code and what is strange - the text is there. I modified the text and got a very strange results - sometimes the text is displayed when I add/remove a few letters, sometimes it is not displayed.
Attachments
under_the_burning_suns.gif
a_tale_of_two_brothers.gif
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.