Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Development Team
Battle for Wesnoth

Under the Burning Suns

Post by Development Team »

This is the development thread of the mainline Campaign "Under the Burning Suns".
Feedback threads for every single scenario

For historical reasons we have kept the original announcement:
quartex wrote: A New Campaign: Under the Burning Suns

This is a medium length, 8-9 scenario campaign, set far into the future, in the world of Wesnoth. In this future, the great empires of the humans, elves and dwarves lie in ruins. The two suns have scorched the earth, and grasslands and forests have been replaced by desert, rock and wastelands. Orcs, Undead and other fell creatures roam freely, and amidst this devastation a small band of elves struggles to survive. This campaign is the story of their journey across this land.

I intentionally wanted to make a shorter campaign, so that I had a chance of actually finishing it. But I never realized how much time writing even one scenario could take. This campaign has more of a RPG feel, with scenarios emphasizing exploring strange lands and dealing with new challenges mid-scenario. This campaign changes some standards in Wesnoth, such as the elves stats, and the day/night cycle, so it might not be the best one for a beginner to try first.

I'd like to thank Pickslide and Elvish Pillager for their art, and now that frame has made such beautiful desert artwork, I think it's ripe for release. I'm still tinkering with balancing the campaign, certain parts are a bit too easy and other are perhaps too hard. Normal difficulty should be beatable, I'm not so sure about Challenging and Hard. Most of the artwork I'm using is placeholder images, I'm not an artist, so I do the best I can. The Desert Prowler especially needs re-doing, it was just a quick edit.

This campaign also only works with Wesnoth 0.8.9+. To install just drag the Under_the_Burning_Suns.cfg file and Under_the_Burning_Suns folder to your campaigns folder. Currently I have finished the first Three scenarios.

I wrote this campaign because I wanted to tell a story about a world slightly different than the Wesnoth we know. I hope people enjoy it.
Last edited by quartex on February 5th, 2005, 11:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

"Unknown scenario: 'MorningAfter'"

I get this message after I choose a difficulty level.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

ditto
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I just tested it before I posted the campaign. Let me check and see what's wrong.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I'm not sure what's wrong. I tested it on the recent 0.8.9 release using mac OS X and it ran fine. I downloaded the campaign and tried it in both the wesnoth/data/campaigns folder and in the library/preferences/data/campaigns folder and both times it ran fine.

MorningAfter is the name of the first scenario, it is identified correctly. I'm not sure why it can't find the scenario when you try it. Does it make a difference if you try running it on 0.8.9 as opposed to the 0.8.9 CVS?
Last edited by quartex on January 29th, 2005, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

I use official release 8.9 under windows
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

quartex wrote:the recent 0.8.9 release using mac OS X
That's what I'm using too.

I'm equally puzzled.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I'm at a loss for why this is happening. This is embarressing. (I made sure to test the campaign many times to keep just this sort of thing from happening)

I'm going to try downloading a fresh version of Wesnoth and install a new copy of the campaign and see if I get any problems.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Good news: upon installing a new version of 0.8.9, I found the same bug
Now I just have to find out why it's happening.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I don't know why this is happening, but I found a fix:

On a mac there are 2 places you can install a new campaign. Either inside the wesnoth application, or in your home/librarypreferences/wesnoth folder. When the campaign is only installed in the preferenes folder, it can't find the first scenario. When it is installed in both places, then both copies of the campaign work. When it is just installed in the Wesnoth application, it runs fine. My problem was that during development I was installing the campaign inside my wesnoth application, so I didn't find that bug. Why my campaign requires a copy within the Wesnoth application to run, I am not sure.

Elvish Pillager, try opening the Wesnoth app (choose show package contents) and installing the under Contents/Resourcesdata/campaigns/. Does this fix your problem?

Shadow, I'm not positive how to resolve this problem on Windows, but I'll keep working at it.
aelius

Post by aelius »

Try this, should work:

Code: Select all

#Append misc folder
 {@campaigns/Burning_Suns/misc}

#Append Units
 [+units]
 {@campaigns/Burning_Suns/units}
 [/units]

#ifdef CAMPAIGN_DESERT

{@campaigns/Burning_Suns/scenarios}

#endif
- b.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Aelius found the problem. I had forgotten to put @ symbols before my file addresses. On a mac you can install the campaigns inside the wesnoth application, so the direct (data/campaigns/Burning_Suns/) address worked fine, until I tried to run the campaign from another location (like Library/Prefrences/Wesnoth/data) or when someone running Windows or Linux tried to run the campaign. Thanks for everyone's help.

The campaign should run fine now.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

FtF and Wesvoid both use terrain z.

The premise of the campaign is good. But, are there any dwarves, humans, or drakes?

Also, if this is far into the future of Wesnoth, don't you think the technology would be more advanced?

And what is the rock storm? A meteorite, or was it created by the undead?
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I played the first scenario of this campaign, and I think it's great! Very interestingly done, and a great use of the new graphics.
MadMax wrote: Also, if this is far into the future of Wesnoth, don't you think the technology would be more advanced?
Not necessarily. The storyline seems to indicate that Wesnoth has sunk into a 'dark age', and its civilizations gone backwards, instead of forwards. This has happened many times during world history...

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Dave wrote:Not necessarily. The storyline seems to indicate that Wesnoth has sunk into a 'dark age', and its civilizations gone backwards, instead of forwards. This has happened many times during world history...
Idea:

Perhaps the humans and dwarves took to space via ships or some kind of magic, and have been at war ever since. The wars have caused Wesnoth to turn to desert, and the rock storm would be a wrecked spaceship or stray fire.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom