Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

oea

Re: Under the Burning Suns

Post by oea »

@alarantalara ?!?!? not sure what you are on about. i was attacked by a merman named "trapped merm..." and made it join my party (with debug), so now i have two mermen tritons!
one triton is named "grateful merman", the other triton is named "trapped merm...".
i freed the merman with another merman. not even sure the dust devil can reach this part of the map as it can not move over deep water.
by the way i am pretty sure about where the mistake lay as in going back to check the merman had the light blue circle of side 2.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Come on!

Here I am, at 'A Stirring in the Night', wanting to have a little healthy and innocent fun with my loyal, strong, arcane, berserk, magical, first strike Marshal - and the berserk is broken?!?
Spoiler:

Can I hack this somehow?
I have a cunning plan.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Unfortunately his berserk, magical and firststrike only work against Grak and Zur.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Mkay, thanks.

So am I exceptionally dumb to not get this kind of things or are they just really subtly being conveyed?

Edit:
zookeeper wrote:against Grak and Zur.
Uhm, who?

I see like some Azkotep and one Ystara. (And one gentleman Ganthos, who I'm less interested in.)
I have a cunning plan.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

nuorc wrote:Mkay, thanks.

So am I exceptionally dumb to not get this kind of things or are they just really subtly being conveyed?

Edit:
zookeeper wrote:against Grak and Zur.
Uhm, who?

I see like some Azkotep and one Ystara. (And one gentleman Ganthos, who I'm less interested in.)
Grak and Zur are Azkotep's and Ystara's "champions".

And no, it's not subtly conveyed. It's not conveyed at all. :whistle:
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

zookeeper wrote:And no, it's not subtly conveyed. It's not conveyed at all.
The most extreme kind of subtlety. ;)

Having had a look at the replay, I do confirm those champions were there. And maybe one could get from the dialog that special champion thing.
I have a cunning plan.
oburec

Post by oburec »

In Wesnoth 1.12.1 the counter/sneak attack event in the 5th scenario "A Subterranean Struggle" doesn't work and that makes this scenario considerably easier. As far as I can tell, there's a bug in the following section

Code: Select all

[event]
        name=queue_battle_events

[event]
            name="turn $($turn_number+3)"
            delayed_variable_substitution=yes
            {ENEMY_ATTACK}
        [/event]

[event]
            name="turn $($turn_number+6)"
            delayed_variable_substitution=no
            {ALLY_REINFORCEMENTS}
        [/event]
"delayed_variable_substitution" for ENEMY_ATTACK event should be set to "no" same as for ALLY_REINFORCEMENTS.

Edit: It looks like there's something wrong with the actual logic of the event too. Your allies are supposed to lose a bunch of their units but they don't.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

oburec wrote:In Wesnoth 1.12.1 the counter/sneak attack event in the 5th scenario "A Subterranean Struggle" doesn't work and that makes this scenario considerably easier. As far as I can tell, there's a bug in the following section
Thanks, that was something I botched up when trying to fix another bug. :doh: It should be fixed in the next version.
oburec wrote:Edit: It looks like there's something wrong with the actual logic of the event too. Your allies are supposed to lose a bunch of their units but they don't.
If you tested by just changing to delayed_variable_substitution=no, then yes, it won't work right; the contents of ENEMY_ATTACK need delayed variable substitution, which is why I had changed it to yes in the first place... I just didn't realize it also applied to variable substitution in name=.
oburec

Post by oburec »

zookeeper wrote: If you tested by just changing to delayed_variable_substitution=no, then yes, it won't work right; the contents of ENEMY_ATTACK need delayed variable substitution, which is why I had changed it to yes in the first place...
Yes that's what I did, logic is fine, sorry.

Do I get this right: one way to fix this event would be to set "delayed_variable_substitution" to "no"

[event]
                name="turn $($turn_number+3)"
                delayed_variable_substitution=no
                {ENEMY_ATTACK}
            [/event]
but then in the contents of ENEMY_ATTACK force delayed_variable_substitution with $|variable syntax

[store_unit]
                [filter]
                    role="Dwarf Defender"
                    x=24-46
                    y=19-35
                [/filter]
                variable=victims
                kill=no
            [/store_unit]

#if easy kill 50%
            #if medium kill 60%
            #if hard kill 80%

{VARIABLE deaths $|victims.length}
            {VARIABLE_OP deaths multiply {ON_DIFFICULTY 0.6 0.7 0.8}}
            {VARIABLE_OP deaths round 0}

#{DEBUG_MSG "Killing $|deaths defenders out of $|victims.length"}

{VARIABLE i 1}
            {REPEAT $|deaths (
                {RANDOM "1..$|victims.length"}
                {VARIABLE_OP random sub 1}

{VARIABLE casualty $|victims[$|random].id}

#have some dwarves scream as they die
                [switch]
                    variable=i

[case]
                        value=1

[message]
                            id=$|casualty
                            message= _ "Aauughh!"
                        [/message]
                    [/case]

[case]
                        value=2

[message]
                            id=$|casualty
                            message= _ "No...!"
                        [/message]
                    [/case]

[case]
                        value=3

[message]
                            id=$|casualty
                            message= _ "Help me!!"
                        [/message]
                    [/case]
                [/switch]

[kill]
                    id=$|casualty
                    animate=yes
                    fire_event=no
                [/kill]

{VARIABLE_OP i add 1}

# Update the victims array
                [store_unit]
                    [filter]
                        find_in=victims
                        [not]
                            id=$|casualty
                        [/not]
                    [/filter]

variable=victims
                    kill=no
                [/store_unit]
It seems to work at least.

I'm asking, because I'm doing a LP of sorts and I have already published the first 4 scenarios, so I don't really want to wait for the next release of Wesnoth.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

oburec wrote:Do I get this right: one way to fix this event would be to set "delayed_variable_substitution" to "no"

[...]

It seems to work at least.

I'm asking, because I'm doing a LP of sorts and I have already published the first 4 scenarios, so I don't really want to wait for the next release of Wesnoth.
It would, if you'd change every $ to $|, but there are some macros used there (such as REPEAT) so in practise I don't think you can. EDIT: Looks like REPEAT doesn't use $ internally, so yes, that should work just fine after all.

However, what you should rather do is overwrite the scenario file with this fixed version, which I could have already posted here but apparently forgot to do. :whistle:
oburec

Post by oburec »

Works great, thank you very much.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

in "Across the Harsh Sands" is it intended that healers cant heal at daytimes? (like being negated by dehydration)
there are two “Black Lieutenant” at the second oasis, is that intended?
When you kill all undead except who were chasing Elyssa except Go'Hag then the dialogue is triggered, even though clearly not all undead were defeated yet

“Desert Star” has as base unit “Desert Shyde” which makes no real sense

in “A Subterranean Struggle” after choosing dwarves or trolls as allies, the scenario objectives change into “Defeat troll leaders” or “Defeat dwarf leaders”
I think it should be “ Defeat all/the [enemy side] leaders”

Kaleh can hide on mountain hexes with camouflage

A Subterranean Struggle
A troll flame caster went to 43,20 (that is the dwarvish side) which I believe is not intended
if I remember right, Kaleh was supposed to get slowed when “Cloaked Figure” appears. He does not get slowed.

In the Tunnels of the Trolls
in the crypt of the trolls you still suffer the 4 dmg per turn
when reaching the troll burial grounds, one of the troll guardians spawns in a cave wall
If you kill the Troll leader and he is the last troll alive, he says “Der big troll is dead. Run for your lives!” (I suspect this is not intended and I think its weird that the german word “Der” is there)

Out of the Frying Pan
Dust Devil and Kromph do not trigger any events (I could let those two roam outside of the cave without Eloh/Humans appearing and they cant pick up the gold left behind by the humans in the outpost)
The Human Messengers don’t move (they only attack if I move next to them)

all bugs reported were found on the highest difficulty of thecampaign
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

v1.13.8 normal
i chose the dwarves and beat the trolls. next scenario we go to the wall which is to be blown up, but it doesnt work:
20170709 22:17:42 error scripting/lua: lua/wml-tags.lua:742: bad argument #2 to 'scroll' (number expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
: in field 'scroll'
lua/wml-tags.lua:742: in local 'cmd'
lua/wml-utils.lua:145: in field 'handle_event_commands'
lua/wml-flow.lua:6: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:5>
[/quote]
Attachments
UtBS-In_the_Tunnels_of_the_Trolls-Auto-Save3.gz
lua error at end of this turn
(67.86 KiB) Downloaded 703 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

tr0ll wrote:v1.13.8 normal
i chose the dwarves and beat the trolls. next scenario we go to the wall which is to be blown up, but it doesnt work:
Here's a simple local fix for the (known) major UtBS bugs in 1.13.8.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I recently played through the campaign on 1.13 and took some notes. I hope they're helpful. Bear in mind that I haven't played this campaign for years, so I might be commenting on old changes or newly introduced issues.

1. I was playing with the new elf units. The art and design for these are great, it occasionally leads to a different style of play which is refreshing. But where are the nice new portraits?

2. I was on the middle difficulty setting (challenging?), which was mostly quite easy apart from a couple of scenarios (i.e. the one with the underground lake, Domain of the Dwarves). I didn't lose a unit until scenario 4, but I don't know if that's good going or not. The rising recall costs are a nice touch, and I loved the AMLA system for the heroes (EDIT: I don't think the stamina bonus increases max XP like it says). The custom abilities, particularly daze and formation, were fun too.

3. The scenario with the underground lake featured a kind of puzzle involving an amulet which was a neat idea. However, up to that point every item I'd found could only be picked up by a single unit as a permanent upgrade. The amulet broke this pattern so I wasn't sure if I had picked it up properly, or what it did. When I figured it out I still wasn't sure if I had to use the same unit to make it work. I think it needs to be differentiated from the other items you find. Perhaps just changing it from an amulet (which players might automatically associate with some kind of upgrade or special power) to something more generic like a gem or rock (which would suit the context and possibly break the pattern of expectation). Anyway, it's only a very minor issue!

4. Garrack's bezerk didn't seem to work, which was a shame. I was quite prepared to see him go down in glory.

5. The flooding in Out of the Frying Pan is a great way to give a sense of urgency and danger, but it's not explained at all. I thought Zhul might be safe since she could fly by that point, but apparently not. That's fine, but a line of text would save players having to reload.

6. On the same scenario I scratched my head for several turns over the meaning of the hint: "the messenger is the leader of the special white-coloured units".

7. 'Domain of the Dwarves' was tough because of having to wade a whole army through water whilst fighting. 'Blood Is Thicker Than Water' required me to do this again, but I guess that's fine as it was a fairer fight (both sides at a disadvantage). But then just when I thought I'd beat it, I had to wade all my troops back through the same bit of sea! I don't know what you'd do to alleviate this besides changing the whole level design, maybe have some reason to keep defending the central area?

8. Due to terrain and movement costs my scouts could never scout. This job always fell to my flying healers which were much more mobile in every situation. I love the Tourach riders, but the scouts seemed a bit pointless in comparison.

9. There is little explanation of who or what we're fighting in the final confrontation. Did I miss something? The novelty of the battle was okay, but story-wise it seemed a bit underwhelming.

10. There's a lua error in the last scenario (the epilogue bit), something about being unable to access a music file.
Last edited by Bob_The_Mighty on February 11th, 2018, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves