Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pewskeepski

Re: Under the Burning Suns

Post by Pewskeepski »

I found an error in Speaking With The fishes. On line 549, 555, and 561 of the scenario file, the speaker is set to Nog where it shouldn't.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Pewskeepski wrote:I found an error in Speaking With The fishes. On line 549, 555, and 561 of the scenario file, the speaker is set to Nog where it shouldn't.
Thanks, fixed (but only lines 555 and 561 were wrong).
therealtylerdurden

Post by therealtylerdurden »

I am about halfway through this campaign now and kudos to whoever created this campaign.

This is the first campaign that actually gives me the sense that the creator has the creativity required to create a great game. The story is great. The scenario objectives are great. Switching up the "rules" is a fantastic and creative idea that adds to the gameplay and to the storyline.

None of the other campaigns I've played have been BAD per se. They just seem extremely rushed or lazy when compared to this one. They have completely lacked the creativity of this campaign with most scenarios devolving into the "build a big army to kill X enemy" scenario that bored me about 4 scenarios in to HttT. With the cut copy "cut scene-small talking sequence-battle" growing extremely monotonous after a while especially when the characters aren't particularly likable.

Kudos to you whoever created this campaign. Your hardwork and creativity has created a new bench-point for new campaigns to grow and evolve this game into the monster it deserves to be.

Could you reccomend me another "creative" campaign?
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Elf Dynasty Rp and its prequel. Even more creative than Utbss!

Fate of A Princess: Imo, this campaign should be mainlined. The first scenario is standard fare, but after that the missions are quite different, the writing is top notch, and did I mention you play as the villians? Part 2 is less creative imo, but still has its moments.

Ruthless imo. Less drastically than Burning Suns, and the first scenario is pretty tedious, but the story is something different and each scenario has its own gimmick.

And I liked the story of Descent Into Darkness, even if it was flawed, it was definitely something different
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

1. There's a bug in "Out of the Frying Pan". if you run a search for "case 3", you'll find that there is a missing {CHECK_SPEAKER} that's found in the other 2 cases. This causes the dust devil to speak out if it makes the kill.

2. Does the sneak_up variable set by recovering the map from the orc leader in the third scenario ever get called in the next scenario? Didn't find any mention of it in WML.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

blackjack wrote:1. There's a bug in "Out of the Frying Pan". if you run a search for "case 3", you'll find that there is a missing {CHECK_SPEAKER} that's found in the other 2 cases. This causes the dust devil to speak out if it makes the kill.
This is now fixed in trunk.

Thanks for reporting.
2. Does the sneak_up variable set by recovering the map from the orc leader in the third scenario ever get called in the next scenario? Didn't find any mention of it in WML.
It does not.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Kaleh and Nym don't have the traits they're suppose to because when it checks the difficulty #ifndef is used where #ifdef should be.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Actually, they have exactly the traits they're supposed to.

The only strange part is that Nym gets a random trait on hard because she isn't a leader and doesn't have two traits assigned to her.
(Edit: I don't know if that's intentional or not)
MiSu2410

Post by MiSu2410 »

In the scenario "In the domain of Dwarfes", I had a Tentacle appear on me located on solid ground. I dove into this a little and after a little experimenting adding the "placement=map_passable" line to the unit configuration for the tentacles appears to fix the problem. I am not sure why the devs chose to not make this the default, but anyways. It is also not yet documented in the wiki.

One more thing: this is the best campaign I have played so far. Great story, my compliments!
Dapifer

Post by Dapifer »

I just wanted to say thank you. It was an amazing ride. This has been my favorite campaign so far, and even though I am a novice and haven't played that much, I feel this one has a lot of quality.

It was fun, challenging and the writing was very good. Kudos for a job well done and thank you very much once again.
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

This ia a really enjoyable scenario but the underground parts are too difficult. I pretty much save-scummed my way through the underground. That's really not a good sign for an RPG.

The walkthrough is out of date too. It fails to mention the Dust Devil and refers to Holy water in the second scenario, even though you don't get any. The major underground battle is insufficiently discussed and there's no mention that the price of your units starts going up from the 4th scenario onwards.

That all sounds pretty negative, so let me add that I enjoyed all the overground material and really enjoyed the campaign in general. You can read my comments on what chnages I recommend you implement in the scenraios thread.
donralz

Post by donralz »

Awesome campaign!... And I'm only two scenarios in. Didn't get the dust devil or the holy water. Any idea why? I'm on version 1.8

Is it worth replaying the mission for?
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

In 09_Blood_is_Thicker_Than_Water, i noticed that the DustDevil does not heal 6 hp when on sand. Savegame attached. Wesnoth 1.10.5
Attachments
UtBS-Blood_is_Thicker_than_..._Turn_6.gz
(125.11 KiB) Downloaded 800 times
oea

Post by oea »

not sure if this is where to post this...
i am playing 'the battle for zochthanol' scenario (in 1.10.5) and just got attacked by the trapped merman, literally, this is the name of the unit. i debugged and switched it to my team then released the actual trapped merman...
anyway i am a complete noob to wml (in fact your campaign first got me to look at it), but i maybe found the problem in prestart when the unit is placed it is given side=2, in whatever you call the first section the merman is defined as side=9. well i hope that is the answer if not please try to find the problem lol.
and for what it is worth there is no #side7: Western Nagas (but correct me if i am wrong, this is just for clarification?).
great campaign by the way.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

The trapped merman is there for dialog only.
I would imagine you found the trapped merman with the dust devil, preventing the dialog from happening and so leaving it alive to torment you.