The Archives

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DeCoolest_Cat

The Archives

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

EDIT: This is the feedback thread for my 1-3 scenario mini campaigns (and possibly others eventually). A lot of these scenarios are going for mainline, and so are some of mine. However, others (like In The Ring) are just for UMC. Keep this in mind going forward.

Original: This is the feedback thread for the 2 scenario campaign The Price of Capture. For everyone that doesn't know about this, it is part of an idea to bring short singleplayer scenarios into the campaign menu. The whole idea can be found here. In The Price of Capture, you play as Kelkarak, the leader of an ogre tribe. A human general attempts to capture your people for a war. You have to defeat him and defend the tribe. I am attempting for this to go mainline.

Answering feedback from skeptical_troll:
1. I will try to fix that
2. The ogres are supposed to be captured if surrounded by all enemies. I tried numerous ways to get this to work, and I guess I didn't test that one fully.
3. I intentionally put only 4 villages on the map. It is supposed to get you to attack on the flanks to get any healing. If an ogre in the middle has low health, I moved him south to the village there. The scenario is not easy, and it shouldn't be (on medium or hard difficulty). You are of course only playing as a group of ogres.

Version 0.1.0 is available on the add-ons server
Last edited by DeCoolest_Cat on April 27th, 2016, 1:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
tribes55

Re: The Price of Capture

Post by tribes55 »

Is there a thread for the first scenario?
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

tribes55 wrote:Is there a thread for the first scenario?
If by first scenario you mean The Battle of Tirigaz, then no there isn't.
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Glad to hear that you are fixing in. If it can be useful to you, here is a piece of code which I wrote for my campaign which I slighlty adapted to give what you want (in my case it was the player who captures enemies by placing 3 units around them)

Code: Select all

[event]
    name=moveto
    first_time_only=no
   #optional: trigger only if an enemy unit move next to one of yours
    [filter]
	side=2
      [filter_adjacent]
	side=1
      [/filter_adjacent]
    [/filter]

#convert your units with 6 enemies around them
    [modify_unit]
	[filter]
	side=1
	  [filter_adjacent]
	    side=2
	    count=6
	  [/filter_adjacent]
	[/filter]
      side=2
    [/modify_unit]
[/event]

However, I have an objection to this mechanism, although I like the idea behind it: the AI will not know that he can capture your units, hence when he moves a unit next to yours it will be most likely to attack. If a unit is surrounded by 6 enemies, it means that he sustained already a lot of duels, so he will likely be dead or almost-dead by then, unless he was really lucky. That, combined with the lack of healing, suggests to me that this mechanic will not really influence the fight.

Maybe you can consider reducing the number of surrounding units needed to 'convert' the ogres, like 3 or 4 at most (change 'count=x' in the code above). this would pose a real challenge to the player as situations like these will naturally happen very often. It will need some testing though.
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Thanks for the code. I feel reducing the count to 4 makes the most sense, as you are ZoC'd with at least 4 enemies around you.

EDIT: fixed the capturing problem. Added new version to add-on server!
skeptical_troll

Hey, I played the new version, on 'hard'. I must say it was really fun, I managed to finish rather quickly in 15 turns, but then the second scenario did not load, I don't know if it was for a bug or just because it is not implemented.
I would have had 25 gold bonus for the next one. Replay is attached.

My strategy:
Spoiler:
Look forward to the next scenario!
Attachments
TPoC-The_Retaliation_replay.gz
(17.78 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

I'm still having trouble coding the capturing mechanic, specifically for the leader. I can't seem to get it so that if he is captured, the scenario doesn't immediately end as a defeat. (This should probably go in wml section, but I don't wanna make a new thread)

So far I have

[event]
	name=side 2 turn
[if]
[have_unit]
	id=Kelkarak
	side=2
[/have_unit]
{MODIFY_UNIT (id=Kelkarak) side 1}
[then]
[message]
	speaker=Kelkarak
	message=_"Human no take Kelkarak! Kelkarak is strong!"
[/message]
[message]
	speaker=Garliend
	message=_"That seems to be their leader. Without him, the rest will run. Let's take him back to camp."
[/message]
[endlevel]
	result=victory
	next_scenario=02a_Short_Lived_Victory
[/endlevel]
[/then]
[/if]
[/event]

skeptical_troll

My first guess is that the {MODIFY_UNIT ..} part should be within the [then] tag, but I'd need to try to check if it works. Or did you mean that you wanted the scenario to end not at the turn end but as the enemies surround Kelkarak?
in that case you may try something like

[event]
    name=moveto
    first_time_only=no
   #optional: trigger only if an enemy unit move next to one of yours
    [filter]
   side=2
      [filter_adjacent]
        id=Kelkarak
        [filter_adjacent]
          side=2
         count=4
        [/filter_adjacent]
      [/filter_adjacent]
    [/filter]
   #message if you like
    [endlevel]
   [/endlevel]
[/event]
Only thing I am not sure about is if 'count' should be set to 4 (like after movement of the unit), or to 3 (before movement)
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Wesnoth 1.12, difficulty medium.
Typos&co:
Upon killing the lieutenant in game 1 I get an Error:

Unknown scenario: '02b_Free_Your_Bothers'
(there is an r in Brothers missing)

I needed a couple tries to find a strategy for the first scenario (then it was quite easy though). As you can see in the attached replay, the second scenario felt way to easy (I actually had no need to fight seriously anywhere and I don´t think those Loys could have taken me). I think a few ogres less and shortening the mountain range reaching north somewhat could help here (to make it harder to outmaneuver the loyalists).

It was a fun play though, thanks!

Replays attached
Attachments
TPoC-Free_Your_Brothers_replay.gz
(22.84 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
TPoC-The_Retaliation_replay.gz
(19.59 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
DeCoolest_Cat

Re: The Archives

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

I have published "The Archives" on the add-ons server! It contains "The Price of Capture" (same as before, but now in a different add-on as well), and the new scenario "Monsters of Midnight". To skeptical_troll, Sire, Kwandulin, and others: This doesn't have to be the main add-on for the scenarios, but I will be at least putting my own on here. If you want, I can always put your scenarios on this add-on.

Monsters of Midnight is a single-scenario campaign where you live in swamp infested with werewolves. You are bitten, and you must try to defeat a village chief, and your former baron. It needs a LOT of work to go mainline, but that is the end goal. If that is not possible, I am fine with it staying UMC. Feedback for this along with The Price of Capture can both be posted here.
Last edited by DeCoolest_Cat on April 27th, 2016, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

i like Monsters of Midnight, but maybe you should add creepier music, or at least more active, because that calm, relaxing tune just doesn't fit in, oh and anims are missing during event attacks, maybe you can do it like i do in my campaign, and it works fine, only thing is that you have to put [delay]s in between each attack (something means attacker, somethingd means damage,somethingw means weapon, and target_something means target respectively)

#define something_HIT
        [animate_unit]
            flag=attack
            [filter]
                id=something
            [/filter]
            [primary_attack]
                name=somethingw
            [/primary_attack]
            hits=yes
            [facing]
                [filter]
                    id=target_something
                [/filter]
            [/facing]
            [animate]
                flag=defend
                [filter]
                    id=target_something
                [/filter]
                [facing]
                    [filter]
                        id=something
                    [/filter]
                [/facing]
                hits=yes
            [/animate]
        [/animate_unit]
		[store_unit]
			[filter]
				id=target_something
			[/filter]
			variable=target
		[/store_unit]
		[set_variable]
			name=target.hitpoints
			sub=somethingd
		[/set_variable]
#this thing in if isn't really necessary, but you can still do it
		[if]
			[variable]
				name=target.hitpoints
				less_than=1
			[/variable]
			[then]
				[kill]
					id=target_something
                                        animate=yes
				[/kill]     
			[/then]
		[/if]
		[unstore_unit]
			variable=target
			find_vacant=no
			text= _ "somethingd"
			{COLOR_HARM}
		[/unstore_unit]
#enddef
oh, i also didn't see dead-peasant.png anywhere
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Version 0.0.2 is out! New 3 scenario tale added: "In The Ring". Humorous campaign similar to Kill the King, but with a twist. Speaking of Kill the King, look around for the its alternate ending ;) (totally okayed by Dugi)

This is not going for mainline.
Last edited by DeCoolest_Cat on April 27th, 2016, 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

sorry, but it crashes for me, saying about units/ee
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

It works fine for me... I had the folder named "EE" while the path said 'units/ee", so maybe that was it. Assuming that was the problem, now it's fixed.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

works fine now, thanks!
EDIT: played it now, and to be honest, i don't know what exactly did you label as 'Mature' content, i don't really see anything, or maybe i didn't notice something, well to be honest, Kill the King seems more mature to me