Shadowborn faction feedback thread

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

White_Drag0n

Shadowborn faction feedback thread

Post by White_Drag0n » February 9th, 2016, 9:09 pm

Hello everybody!

Today I decided to upload my first add-on to the server. It contains one new faction with 17 units, which I might or might not expand into a small era in the future. Aside from need of polishing the graphics, getting rid of some frankensprites and adding new animations, I find it to be quite finished. I still need help in some areas though, namely:
- Checking the grammatical correctness of ability descriptions and rewording them eventually. I'm not a native speaker and I don't want to force the players to suffer from reading my broken english;
- Finding and reporting bugs. Technically everything should work correctly, but there is some WML heavy scripting involved, so something unpredictable can surely happen;
- The era needs balancing. I focused on adding interesting abilities more than on thinking out the matchups, so playing multiplayer games of default + shadowborn might become complete chaos.

That'd be all. If I'll encounter a problem, I will ask in this topic. Hopefully everything goes clean though. Below is a little teaser, in case someone gets interested ;)

Cheers!
__Bez tytułu.png
A battle between forces of darkness

Ravana

Re: Shadowborn faction feedback thread

Post by Ravana » February 9th, 2016, 9:40 pm

This image is really nice, it certainly made me immediately check it out.

I liked the idea of using find_in=second_unit.

For balance I noticed that some specials are too much for rpg, but should work for shorter games.

For _main.cfg line 68 psychical -> physical.

What you plan to do with sort=potion-like in objects? I see that currently nothing uses that key.

It might be useful to add dependency link to Forgotten_Legends.

White_Drag0n

Post by White_Drag0n » February 9th, 2016, 10:29 pm

Oh. Thanks for pointing out the typo, gonna fix it in next patch.

The sort=potion-like key must be a leftover of some addon I borrowed part of the event from. :oops: If it doesn't have any purpose I might clean it up as well.

The problem why I cannot add a dependency link to this addon is that it hadn't shipped to the server yet. ^^ I also don't want to make it look like you must download both eras to play one of them. They aren't connected too much lore-wise and such.

Thanks for the reply. :) I wish you a good evening

White_Drag0n

Post by White_Drag0n » July 15th, 2016, 2:35 pm

Today I pushed an update to the server, which improves the gameplay a bit and fixes some bugs. About few of them I knew for a long time, but haven't really been determinated enough to care about it (it's not like this era got any recognition anyway :P).

I wanted to do one more thing though, but I'm not sure if it's possible. Also, I don't know shouldn't I rather make a new topic for it in the WML Workshop instead. Either way:
There's a unit in the era, which gains attacks of every unit it kills. I want to expand the code, so it will also gain animations of these attacks.

Below is the code responsible for it, everything except the last part works:
Spoiler:
Btw, how do I make my units display correctly here? That's the error log, but I have no idea why are these definitions missing, especially when some units went through. :hmm:

josteph
Developer

Post by josteph » February 8th, 2019, 8:44 pm

In _main.cfg you need to change Forgotten_legends to Forgotten_Legends (with a capital L) otherwise there are errors loading the MP lobby.